Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Lib and let die posted:

I've said this hundreds and hundreds of times across various channels of communication, and I'm going to say it again:

Corporate Social Responsibility is a sham. Its only purpose is to provide the private entities responsible for both economic and social inequity a seemingly-legitimate platform from which to conduct their own PR greenwashing campaigns while paying themselves back through tax credits driven by the nonprofit-industrial complex.

I typically use Deloitte as an example when discussing CSR, but since BlackRock is in the news for this particular clip, I'll try and whip up some data from publicly available sources on the fly.

First, let's start with the publicly reported data from BlackRock's political PAC Blackrock Fund Services Group: https://www.opensecrets.org/political-action-committees-pacs/blackrock-funds-services-group/C00479246/summary/2020

So, with our data in hand, we can start to break down the notion that Blackrock is a "socially responsible" company by way of their push to create more diverse workforces. Flip on over to the "Candidate Recipients" tab and start googling some names.

Kevin Brady, R-Texas received $10,000 in the 2020 election cycle.

In 2022, Mr. Brady voted against the Ensuring Access to Abortion Act of 2022.
In 2021, Mr. Brady voted against the Women's Health Protection Act of 2021.
In 2017, Mr. Brady voted in favor of the Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act (again).
In 2016, Mr. Brady voted in favor of the Conscience Protection Act of 2016.
In 2015, Mr. Brady co-sponsored the Born-Alive Abortion Survivors Protection Act.
In 2015, Mr. Brady voted in favor of the No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion and Abortion Insurance Full Disclosure Act of 2015.

I think you get the point.

In conclusion, BlackRock is perfectly happy to push for more diverse workplaces, while being perfectly happy to trade societal-wide protections for the rights of that diverse workforce for politicians that will more easily facilitate finance number go up.

As they show themselves on the chart, big donors tend to donate to both sides so they end up in control no matter who wins the election. Which is to say that they have no principles at all, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU