Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The draft is a BIG DEAL, and Mocks are fun. I will be organizing a game to generate discussion and make it a bit more interesting. You will select your anticipated draft order and post it in thread, and after the draft I will be scoring the results and awarding winnings in charity donations/venmo. I’ve budgeted ~$50 that I will split to the top 3 or so contestants. I will participate, but obviously I will not be eligible as a winner.

Scoring

1. :siren: Teams do not matter!!! :siren: If you think a trade is likely then keep that in mind and make selections accordingly. If you think Arizona is trading the 3 to someone for Arod just put Arod as your selection. I don’t even want team names in your submission.
2. You earn 5 points for a perfect match (EG: you select Anderson #6 and he is #6)
3. You earn 3 points if you are one or two selections off (EG: you select Anderson #6 and he is 4, 5, 7, or 8)
4. You earn 1 point for being three or four selections off (EG: you select Anderson #6 and he is 2, 3, 9 or 10)
5. You earn 0 points for being five or more off (EG: You select Anderson #6 and he is 1, 11-32)
6. You lose 0 points for a player you picked not being drafted in the 1st round if they are picks #17-32 (EG: you think The Chiefs are just a punter away at #31 and are wrong)
7. You lose 5 points for a player not being drafted in the 1st round if they are picks #1-16 (EG: you select Anderson #6 and he joins an aesthetic cult the night before the draft)

With this system you can cap out at a score of 160 and bottom out at -80. It should naturally result in a bell curve. Ties will be settled by order of submission (with edit time being factored in) This is to accommodate for the advantage present in waiting to finalize a mock. The penalty for missing on a top #16 selection is to increase disparity in point scores.

Rules:

1. :siren: If you edit your post with your submission at any time after 7:00 Eastern draft day you will be DQed. If you want to post about your results after the draft make a new post. :siren:
2. Feel free to comment in the thread as much as you want, but please keep your submission post clean. Ask questions in the thread if you don’t get something; comment on your entries in a separate post.
3. Please make an effort after the draft to tabulate your own score. If there are more than a dozen or so submissions I will only be checking scores I know to be competitive. :siren: If I fail to tabulate your score and you don’t tell me it’s got a chance of winning that’s on you! :siren: I plan on ruling out any score being a winner but if there are a lot of submissions I may miss you.
4. It’s OK to revise your picks. I would prefer you edit out your original submission and post a new one so I know you changed it. I will be keeping up with new posts but if this is an active thread I may miss edits.
5. It’s OK to tell someone they accidentally drafted a dude twice or that the person they picked is not draft eligible or something. Please don’t be a dick about it.
6. Lurkers are welcome!!!! Don’t feel like you need some sort of posting cred to post your submission. No one will care if you are not a regular. The more the merrier.

Format:

Please include at least your candidate's name. Feel free to add position or school or whatever, but try to keep your submission clean. If you want to comment on your selections please make it as a second post. I will be copying and pasting your list into a master spreadsheet so just being able to copy and paste will be helpful. I’ll be linking an excel form so you can plug in your own choices and then copy/paste your results. I've included my entry as an example

tools

This link will take you to a google sheet you can use to make submissions and score them.
There are a ton of big boards you can use out there, I recommend using a mock draft tool where you can select all participants.

I will post my entry below so there's an example for formatting. Please feel free to provide additional tools and feedback, if you are better with google sheets feel free to make something more sophisticated than what I can do.

:siren: Congrats to Wandler, the reigning champion! :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Bryce Young
C.J. Stroud
Will Anderson Jr.
Will Levis
Jalen Carter
Quentin Johnston
Anthony Richardson
Myles Murphy
Paris Johnson Jr.
Peter Skoronski
Jaxon Smith-Njigba
Tyree Wilson
Broderick Jones
Lukas Van Ness
Dalton Kincaid
Calijah Kancey
Christian Gonzalez
Devon Witherspoon
Brian Branch
Jordan Addison
Joey Porter Jr.
Bryan Bresee
Cam Smith
John Michael Schmitz
Zay Flowers
Bijan Robinson
Julius Brents
Michael Mayer
Derick Hall
Josh Downs
Will McDonald IV

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I had a miserable time trying to figure out my list this year. Not 100% sure why but I haven't gotten nearly as into this draft as I have the last ones. Joined a big narrative campaign for a tabletop game I play and I imagine that's probably got something to do with it.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cavauro posted:

don't score mine

My score is going to be truly awful.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'll have the scores up by early next week.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So, Every year we have about the same number of entrants, ~12-16. Every year we get anywhere from 0-5 total -5 results (predicted in 1-16 and not selected round 1).

Well, we shattered that trend. Will Levis was in every single participant's top 16. That means, where we generally see 0-20 points lost among every participant, the Mayoman obliterated the record himself with -80 points.

Congratulations to our first member of the Draft Game Hall of Fame, Titans QB1

I am announcing the Levis award in his honor, for the participant with the most negative points at the end of the process.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 30, 2023

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I am mostly putting this here so I don't need to dig thirty pages back in the forums anymore:

2021 Win place show: 1. Magicpants 70 points // 2. Shakezula 65 points // 3. Symphonic 59 points
2022 Win place show: 1. Wandler 62 points // 2. Good Times on Meth 52 points // 3. Diva Cupcake 49 points

Note: Any of these scores would have won this year. NO ONE knew wtf this year.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There were six candidates for the Levis award. I had to kind of figure out how to differentiate this tie on the spot, but I came to my decision without checking to see who won, so I'm going to claim to be impartial.The candidates were:
Yolo
Wandler
Big Jesus
Hizawk
Ornery
Tarbrush

I figured the person with the earliest picks that qualified them should win, and so the winner of the first annual Levis award (tm) is:

Ornery and Hornery, with the #4 and #13 selections!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Honorable Mentions:
Ornery and Hornery: 6th place 36 points
Tarbrush: 5th place 37 points
Silly Burrito: 4th place 40 points

:siren: THIRD PLACE: :siren:
Recursive with 43 points

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Procrastination is a hell of a drug.

:woop: SECOND PLACE: :woop:
ShakeZula with 46 points

:parrot: FIRST PLACE: :parrot:
Skull.gif with 47 points

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ShakeZula posted:

drat, so close

A one-point differential is just loving silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SKULL.GIF posted:

You would've won if I hadn't somehow gotten insanely lucky with guessing where Deonte Banks would go, to the exact slot, despite the team in that original slot trading out of it. I still don't know anything about Banks.

I think they take your money and then print a tiny amount more money for you but a lot of money for themselves and also they give jobs to the most boring people for some reason. I think.