Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

to pull out an SAS classic: have you ever played hockey? more importantly, did you ever learn any of the physical side of the game taught by a licensed coach. not trying to bait; genuinely curious

I played forever ago when I was young, with dads for coaches so probably not?

But I'm assuming this is the part where the licensed coach would tell me not to do what the Devils player did? And then by some magic logical leap this means it's now entirely my fault if someone takes advantage of me forgetting to do it at any point?

And you think this is somehow inappropriate to compare to sexual assault? (when you are the one who brought up consent as mitigation)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

kill me now posted:

You say that but not 2 minutes of game time later Kane was coming across the middle of the devils defensive zone with the puck and not one of the Devils tried to murder him.

You didn’t notice it because it happens all the time

The devils aren't that type of team anymore.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

mcmagic posted:

The devils aren't that type of team anymore.

Most teams aren’t, hell the rangers outside of Trouba aren’t. That’s my point.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

kill me now posted:

You say that but not 2 minutes of game time later Kane was coming across the middle of the devils defensive zone with the puck and not one of the Devils tried to murder him.

You didn’t notice it because it happens all the time

Ah! Thank you. This is my first NHL playoffs. Very exciting to watch how fast it is!

edit: to be clear, the reason that hit doesn’t normally happen isn’t because half the NHL is playing by Marquess of Queensberry rules. It’s because it’s really dumb positionally to step up on a guy with his head up — like pros have 99.9% of the time. You’ll get beat.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 2, 2023

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Tenkaris posted:

I played forever ago when I was young, with dads for coaches so probably not?

But I'm assuming this is the part where the licensed coach would tell me not to do what the Devils player did? And then by some magic logical leap this means it's now entirely my fault if someone takes advantage of me forgetting to do it at any point?

And you think this is somehow inappropriate to compare to sexual assault? (when you are the one who brought up consent as mitigation)

okay cool, so, non-condescendingly, hockey is a physical game and here are some things you should never do w/r/t physical play:

--go across the blueline with your head down, either in the middle or on the sides (look up Andy Sutton's highlight reel for that)
--crouch down or make yourself small when near the boards
--in fact, the boards are your friend. you should get tall to protect your head but also to disperse the hit along more surface area
--don't be in the dreaded "too far from the boards to use them to brace but not far enough so that you don't go slamming into them" zone

all of these things make otherwise legal hits seem way worse and are totally avoidable, which is why you mostly don't see hits like what Trouba does any more. it takes a lot of skill to catch someone like that, and it takes a big lack of skill on the part of guys like Meier to not have it happen to them.

gaining the zone with speed, especially the middle of the zone, is incredibly valuable. it'd be a really weird change to a fundamental aspect of the game to punish a guy for trying to defend that ice

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
So Skill Issue then, got it

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Tenkaris posted:

So Skill Issue then, got it

yes, both Meier not having enough skill to avoid the hit, and the Rangers paying Trouba $8 million when that's arguably his best current skill

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

He beat the traffic
:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Gallant should've been ran out of town last year after playing a gimped Strome who took himself out anyway and scratching Kaapo. I did not see a shutout coming, loving hell. Panarin becoming invisible come playoff time is a glaring issue. Tarasenko put in work for us, hope we can somehow keep him.