Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Colonel Cancer posted:

being a welder is what computer touchers think forklift operators are like

The one welder I know found the work so miserable/punishing he decided to retrain like 15 years into his career. It's solid pay but it's pretty gnarly work that's rough on your health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

I do a lot of fabrication, and I just went on a head and hired two welders because I can't be stuck underneath a hood all day and keep a crew running. But I do alot of mock ups and it's great to watch their faces when I walk into the metal shop with my gear.

Also being able to weld changes your whole perspective on doing projects, and over Covid I did a lot of dumb stuff like fabricate aluminum battery boxes for amateur race cars and built a rack for my girlfriends jeep.

Plus we're Union.

sundaymorning
Sep 1, 2019

the one welder i know welded literally naked apart from an apron in cyprus before his business failed due to 2008 stuff, moved back home to do his old job and became a transphobe chud and went a bit mad with crypto poo poo and now i believe is volunteering in ukraine or something
i will not let him sully my views on welders as a whole though.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

sundaymorning posted:

the one welder i know welded literally naked apart from an apron in cyprus before his business failed due to 2008 stuff, moved back home to do his old job and became a transphobe chud and went a bit mad with crypto poo poo and now i believe is volunteering in ukraine or something
i will not let him sully my views on welders as a whole though.

nice, creating bullshit stories in real time. unless by apron you mean "apron, helmet/mask, gloves and arm coverings" or this welder somehow has superhuman protection from uv on his skin and eyes

sundaymorning
Sep 1, 2019

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

nice, creating bullshit stories in real time. unless by apron you mean "apron, helmet/mask, gloves and arm coverings" or this welder somehow has superhuman protection from uv on his skin and eyes

i will admit i did not see him do this but i believed it unquestioningly when he told me it. cyprus is hot and so is welding i think.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

sundaymorning posted:

i will admit i did not see him do this but i believed it unquestioningly when he told me it. cyprus is hot and so is welding i think.

it's not the heat but the ultraviolet radiation produced by the arc. especiallty if they're burning sticks or TIG welding, iirc. an 8 hr shift of unshielded welding will produce a hell of a sunburn. weeks or months of this would fry your skin to a crisp and speed run you to a skin cancer death

e: also the eyes 100% must be covered. flash burn in the eyes takes less than a second to hurt. a few seconds can be permanently damaging. the uvr can penetrate the thin eyelid skin, depending on the process and uvr output. all welders wear masks, even the ones who turn their heads away to lay down tacks

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 24, 2023

sundaymorning
Sep 1, 2019

it's not the heat but the ultraviolet radiation produced by the arc. especiallty if they're burning sticks or TIG welding, iirc. an 8 hr shift of unshielded welding will produce a hell of a sunburn. weeks or months of this would fry your skin to a crisp and speed run you to a skin cancer death

he was one of the most incredibly tanned people i have ever met so actually this is only adding to my belief that he did infact weld largely unprotected.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

the only thing i know about welding is if you need someone's attention you apply gentle pressure

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Dudes from Cyprus have a natural fur coat which protects them from typical welding dangers

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

just imagining a buff naked swarthy greek man welding with his rear end out

sundaymorning
Sep 1, 2019

oh I would like to add the bullshit story I was told at work today of: "no it's not asbestos it's just bitumen" regarding the in-the-process-of-being-dismantled room we were told we could use for breaks to have access to a kettle and running water etc.
we then discovered an asbestos warning sign on the entrance to the room (an entrance we were not told about, the one we were told to use had no such sign) and huge red bags labeled asbestos.

thankfully I had not been in that room when the main works had started I think, it was still quite deconstructed but everything seemed quite settled, although I imagine my chances of asbestos related death have now gone up.
my colleague was in there when they had been like sawing a bunch and throwing loads of dust and poo poo into the air though so he is maybe now tentatively scheduled to die.
you gotta love it.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Tarkus posted:

I was told, in grade 6, that my performance there would go on my permanent record and employers would look at it when I was older. 'You don't want to have to work a blue collar job like being a welder do you?"

Why specifically welding, which is necessary & apparently at least kind of lucrative? Did he know a welder who was a jackass or became a jackass after they start welding or something?

Also, the permanent record (edit: at least the grade school version) was the biggest bullshit story we were told of all time.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

YeahTubaMike posted:

Why specifically welding, which is necessary & apparently at least kind of lucrative? Did he know a welder who was a jackass or became a jackass after they start welding or something?

Also, the permanent record (edit: at least the grade school version) was the biggest bullshit story we were told of all time.

Could've been just the first thing that came to her head as a blue collar job. I don't know.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

AnoHito posted:

Hell, what the gently caress kind of loser adult doesn’t think welding is incredibly cool?

Welders. (Unless you meant "cool" in the literal sense, because yeah a lot of the time they're freezing their arses off because they work on bare metal.)

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

YeahTubaMike posted:

:actually: There IS a permanent record but it is far from permanent. It's a record of your school behavior that's used as a reference to determine what class to put you in as you move up through the grades. Previous teachers make comments so the next ones will know what to expect. The lie is that it will have any impact on you "permanently" i.e. after you finish school but considering how you do in school in large part determines how your life will go, it can be understood in some cases as having a permanent impact.

The attitude of trades being bad and stinky is far more harmful to a child's future prospects. Let the KIDS weld what they want!!!

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Band is going to be great for your future!

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Mulaney Power Move posted:

the only thing i know about welding is if you need someone's attention you apply gentle pressure

You don't have to hold it there!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I was told in high school by the music teacher that I had no aptitude for music and told me being in the class was pointless. Now in fairness, I was in the class because in that spot the only two classes that worked with the rest of my schedule was music or dance and music seemed like it would involve less physical effort.

Anyway, she praised the school band (like literally four dudes who were in a band) and showcased them every single assembly and stuff, and told everyone that they, especially the super amazing singer/songwriter, would be stars.

Last time I checked in on what they were up to they had all pretty much given up on music. I'm no pro but turns out I've released more music that was received alright than them.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

That he was going to climb a mountain in Alaska next weekend that had never been summited, he had gotten married, and he was low on money because he was gassing up his car and looked away and it overflowed a hundred gallons.

He was an odd coworker & after a few months everyone had caught on and warned each other to be careful but as far as I know he never tried to borrow money, just loved lying.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

A guy I used to work with would tell elaborate stories about his "weekend journeys", which always involved him wandering around Western Pennsylvania and finding the most unbelievable things. The most grounded and believable one was the time he found an 18-wheeler broken down and its refrigeration unit malfunctioning. The driver of the truck then offered him as much frozen fish as he could carry, which this guy took home.

The most insane was the time he saw a helicopter land "in the woods" and Paris Hilton and Nicole Ritchie got out. He carefully walked up there and found out they were scouting locations for a new season of "The Simple Life". This was like 4 years after the show was cancelled, so I guess it was a reunion season.

The guy was in his early 40s and apparently lived in his parents' basement despite making 6 figures, so I think he might have had a drug problem or something.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Not all welding produces UVR and all that other protection is optional if you don’t mind getting burned which is common because it’s often miserable work where a few small burns aren’t anything compared to the pain of living another day.

On a slightly unrelated note you’ll see with a quick internet search that pay in the trades is always exaggerated in discussion, yes you’ll find that job paying $90/hr but if you apply you might as well send in your astronaut application and Harvard admissions package while you’re at it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
We had a compulsive liar who just could not stop. Largely harmless, but it just built up and up and up. I'm a gullible fool sometimes and just accepted what he said for longer than I should have before I started questioning why this genius inventor was working at a coal mine. This job was fairly standard environmental monitoring in a small town environment.

Absolute bullshit included

- Could do backflips in his truck, stunt show style
- Killed elk with a bow at 100m+ (sort of, kind of plausible but not really)
- Had multiple degrees, PhD engineering, science etc etc
- Was designing a confidential battle/flight suit for Boeing
- Had security clearance because of the flight suit thing
- Hooking up with a variety of famous people
- Listened to a lot Joe Rogan (this one was true, I had to listen too)

He was a really competent person with regard to technical poo poo, and he was reasonably responsible with regard to getting work done but did not give a poo poo about following the rules if they got in the way. I'd trust him with a suitcase full of money, but I wouldn't trust him to do basic safety check-ins. He had Aspergers which was noticeable after a while and I guess explained a few things(?). Calling him out seemed almost cruel, and after a while you just accepted whatever he said without blinking. 'Oh, you qualified for the special forces but had to quit for some reason? Cool.'

Eventually, a couple of us sat down and tried to piece all of his claims into a plausible timeline. Eventually, we concluded there was an aging portrait of this guy in an attic somewhere because while he looked 35 he had to be at least 50 or 60.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Outrail posted:

Eventually, we concluded there was an aging portrait of this guy in an attic somewhere because while he looked 35 he had to be at least 50 or 60.

Maybe he was just really well organized :shrug:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Nooner posted:

Maybe he was just really well organized :shrug:

Assuming a superhuman level of organisational ability and no need to sleep it just wasn't feasible. Still leaning towards the Dorian Gray portrait hypothesis.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL

Outrail posted:

We had a compulsive liar who just could not stop. Largely harmless, but it just built up and up and up. I'm a gullible fool sometimes and just accepted what he said for longer than I should have before I started questioning why this genius inventor was working at a coal mine. This job was fairly standard environmental monitoring in a small town environment.

Absolute bullshit included

- Could do backflips in his truck, stunt show style
- Killed elk with a bow at 100m+ (sort of, kind of plausible but not really)
- Had multiple degrees, PhD engineering, science etc etc
- Was designing a confidential battle/flight suit for Boeing
- Had security clearance because of the flight suit thing
- Hooking up with a variety of famous people
- Listened to a lot Joe Rogan (this one was true, I had to listen too)

He was a really competent person with regard to technical poo poo, and he was reasonably responsible with regard to getting work done but did not give a poo poo about following the rules if they got in the way. I'd trust him with a suitcase full of money, but I wouldn't trust him to do basic safety check-ins. He had Aspergers which was noticeable after a while and I guess explained a few things(?). Calling him out seemed almost cruel, and after a while you just accepted whatever he said without blinking. 'Oh, you qualified for the special forces but had to quit for some reason? Cool.'

Eventually, a couple of us sat down and tried to piece all of his claims into a plausible timeline. Eventually, we concluded there was an aging portrait of this guy in an attic somewhere because while he looked 35 he had to be at least 50 or 60.

Sounds like an updated Forest Gump

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
I had a roommate freshman year of college that was a compulsive liar. Everything out of his mouth was a lie or just utter BS. I'd never seen that before so it was surreal.

It took me and my other two roommates about a month to figure it out.

Among his many claims:

Went to a fraternity rush party and totally got sexed up with three sorority girls for the night. We knew a couple of the guys there and independently confirmed, "What?, no. That dude got poo poo-face drunk in an hour and passed on the couch for most of the night until he woke up and left."

He would lie about breakfast. We'd go to the cafeteria in the morning; I got scrambled eggs and sausage and he had a bowl of cereal. We go back to the dorm and a friend that overslept and missed breakfast asked how it was. The roommate straight out says that he had eggs and sausage, right in front of me. We'd been hanging out for a good hour and a half and you were not allowed to go back into the cafeteria a second time for a given breakfast/lunch/dinner. "No you didn't!?!" from me. "Oh they let me back in." Dude I've been hanging out with you all morning. No...

His father had designed some super computer or flying car or whatever. Internet was pretty new back then, but it took a minute to confirm, uh no. His dad was a contractor which is perfectly respectable, but he worked on apartment complexes and such.

I didn't care, I just didn't believe anything he said after a while. A third roommate could not stand it at all and kind of broke, called him on all his BS, yelling at him that he was a piece of poo poo liar. Liar roomie transferred to a different dorm a couple days later. This was actually cool because I had the whole bedroom to myself for the rest of the year.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Internetjack posted:

I had a roommate freshman year of college that was a compulsive liar. Everything out of his mouth was a lie or just utter BS. I'd never seen that before so it was surreal.

It took me and my other two roommates about a month to figure it out.

Among his many claims:

Went to a fraternity rush party and totally got sexed up with three sorority girls for the night. We knew a couple of the guys there and independently confirmed, "What?, no. That dude got poo poo-face drunk in an hour and passed on the couch for most of the night until he woke up and left."

He would lie about breakfast. We'd go to the cafeteria in the morning; I got scrambled eggs and sausage and he had a bowl of cereal. We go back to the dorm and a friend that overslept and missed breakfast asked how it was. The roommate straight out says that he had eggs and sausage, right in front of me. We'd been hanging out for a good hour and a half and you were not allowed to go back into the cafeteria a second time for a given breakfast/lunch/dinner. "No you didn't!?!" from me. "Oh they let me back in." Dude I've been hanging out with you all morning. No...

His father had designed some super computer or flying car or whatever. Internet was pretty new back then, but it took a minute to confirm, uh no. His dad was a contractor which is perfectly respectable, but he worked on apartment complexes and such.

I didn't care, I just didn't believe anything he said after a while. A third roommate could not stand it at all and kind of broke, called him on all his BS, yelling at him that he was a piece of poo poo liar. Liar roomie transferred to a different dorm a couple days later. This was actually cool because I had the whole bedroom to myself for the rest of the year.

The son of the family living in the flat below us told the teacher (when asked) that his father was a microsurgeon. It was a bit weird since about 100% of the pupils in the class knew full well Mr. Nietsche was, in fact, a baker. (There was/is absolutely no stigma of any kind associated with being a baker.)

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 16, 2023

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

When you stare long enough into the dough, the dough will stare back at you.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

axolotl farmer posted:

When you stare long enough into the dough, the dough will stare back at you.

TOYM

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
"America is a land of freedom and all people are welcome"

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
“You can check out any time you want... but you can never leave!!” :wth:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Everything my grandpa told me as a kid.
I wasn't a very clever child. :(

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Lawman 0 posted:

Everything my grandpa told me as a kid.
I wasn't a very clever child. :(

Is that what he told you? :tinfoil:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

one time at the drug factory I worked at, we had a cat 4 chemo drug spill (dexrazoxane) at the plant and it was massive; and after all the blowback was done they changed the rating of the drug down to cat 3 and told everyone the hours of exposure they had to the drug that engulfed the floor of the cleanroom wasn't as big a deal as they thought it was.

to be fair, dexrazoxane probably was overrated in its toxicity assessment, but they sure waited on downgrading it until after a major spill just like they waited 10 years to acknowledge that the automated reservoir shutoff change request just sat on a table because the owner of the process quit and it just sat mired until the same spill - a spill the change request would have prevented.

there was a lot of bad blood over that one.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 17, 2023

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Lol I worked at a place that straight up removed the dsm safety sheets once questions started being asked about pink hand soap potentially being carcinogenic, as it described itself in the data sheet

This was done by a manager at a branch of a major, very well known, and very LITIGIOUS company that I can’t name :newlol:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Futanari Damacy posted:

Lol I worked at a place that straight up removed the dsm safety sheets once questions started being asked about pink hand soap potentially being carcinogenic, as it described itself in the data sheet

This was done by a manager at a branch of a major, very well known, and very LITIGIOUS company that I can’t name :newlol:

After that spill I just mentioned, they started providing us with MSDS or whatever it's called now. Only after that spill did they comply, and only for about a month lol.

We went straight from that into dealing with the DEA cuz they started using their controlled manufacturing license, and man that was just books worth of bullshit stories that aren't very interesting.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
You're 1/16th Cherokee.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
'The majority of constituents I spoke to were in favour of this development'

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

Told me on his way out of a Walmart late at night he saw someone breaking into his car. He kicked his rear end then called the cops and the cops told him that they needed more people like him and he should consider becoming a cop. It's obviously a bullshit story but made me laugh that he was saying the cops were going around recruiting people based on their ability to whoop some rear end.

He told me another Walmart story right after applying for a job there, while waiting for a callback from them. He said there was one point during the interview where he's not certain he said the right thing: They asked him if he thought it was acceptable to do drugs before his shift and he said "Well if it doesn't affect your ability to work, then MAYBE it could be alright." He doesn't do any drugs. He did not get the job. I believe this story 100%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

information wants to be free.