Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
“The problem with computers is that they do exactly what you tell them to do!!” :hurr:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Futanari Damacy posted:

“The problem with computers is that they do exactly what you tell them to do!!” :hurr:

"You'll never have a computer or calculator in the room to do this stuff for you, so you better learn to do it by hand."

lol I sure used an iPad to take pictures of said drug spill and used same iPad after it came out of the cleanroom to help the dipshit who got fired as a safety guy and came back as a safety contractor calculate the approximate square footage of the drug spill I took pictures of.

There were times where I had to do math by hand in that cleanroom because there were only like 6 iPads and they had to get wiped down with 6% H2O2 and then put in a sleeve that was sprayed with 6% H2O2 and sit for 20 minutes. Sometimes you didn't have a computer or calculator.
So you just waited unless you could do it.

Lol gently caress any teacher who told you that poo poo they all dumbasses.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 12:47 on May 17, 2023

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
You need to learn cursive writing! Alllll of your correspondence in your adult life, without exception, is going to be written in cursive! Nobody will take anything you write seriously if it’s not written in cursive. Printing is for dumb stupid babies and not for serious people who want good jobs. What’s a “computer”?

This is in 1999 lol

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Futanari Damacy posted:

You need to learn cursive writing! Alllll of your correspondence in your adult life, without exception, is going to be written in cursive! Nobody will take anything you write seriously if it’s not written in cursive. Printing is for dumb stupid babies and not for serious people who want good jobs. What’s a “computer”?

This is in 1999 lol

Lol I worked with people that were 5-7 years younger than me that got taught cursive was how people would take you seriously, writing cursive on cGDP documents. Just loving trashing whole pages of footnotes, requiring whole rewrites under review.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

MrQwerty posted:

Lol I worked with people that were 5-7 years younger than me that got taught cursive was how people would take you seriously, writing cursive on cGDP documents. Just loving trashing whole pages of footnotes, requiring whole rewrites under review.

The point of cursive is to write words without lifting your pen up off the page between each letter. Some people find it faster or easier to write that way, but not everyone does, and as a kid you don't really know which of those groups you fall into until you get some practice at both.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I. M. Gei posted:

The point of cursive is to write words without lifting your pen up off the page between each letter. Some people find it faster or easier to write that way, but not everyone does, and as a kid you don't really know which of those groups you fall into until you get some practice at both.

Do you know what cGDP means?

It means that regulators have to read it, food and drug regulators in that case. Cursive is literally not allowed and people still felt the need to write in it, and all writing in cursive did was gently caress people over in the room and up the chain.

You have to be able to put a timestamped and signed footnote to a video and cursive makes it very hard to do that and requires transcription.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 17, 2023

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

Told me on his way out of a Walmart late at night he saw someone breaking into his car. He kicked his rear end then called the cops and the cops told him that they needed more people like him and he should consider becoming a cop. It's obviously a bullshit story but made me laugh that he was saying the cops were going around recruiting people based on their ability to whoop some rear end.

He told me another Walmart story right after applying for a job there, while waiting for a callback from them. He said there was one point during the interview where he's not certain he said the right thing: They asked him if he thought it was acceptable to do drugs before his shift and he said "Well if it doesn't affect your ability to work, then MAYBE it could be alright." He doesn't do any drugs. He did not get the job. I believe this story 100%

I had a buddy who tried to join the military. Apparently, he failed the psych exam because he answered 'Yes' to 'Do you think you're better than other people?'.

I believe it.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
The ex of a girl I dated in college was starting poo poo with me in a bar once but said he wasn't allowed to fight me because he's going through SEAL training.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Most people’s cursive writing is completely loving illegible especially if they are more comfortable doing that than printing.

See: any doctor writing a prescription

“What? I can read it” :saddumb:

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I had to read poorly scanned original survey notes from the 1850s to the 1880s and that poo poo is virtually unfuckingreadable

I have a copy of one of the more readable ones. They get a lot worse due to the bad copy:

Dr. Fraiser Chain fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 17, 2023

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Tarkus posted:

I was told, in grade 6, that my performance there would go on my permanent record and employers would look at it when I was older. 'You don't want to have to work a blue collar job like being a welder do you?"

I explain to my students (middle school kids) that, in all honesty, nobody will give a poo poo about what you did and what grades you earned in middle school after your first year of high school. Nobody will care about what you did and what grades you earned in high school once you are in college, and nobody will really care about what you did in college, once you have established your career.

I remember in 5th grade there was a kid in our class who was a chronic liar. If he were an old man, he would be called a "Spinner of Tall Tales". In 5th grade, he was just a liar. He loved to tell us how relatives died in horrible ways. His grandfather died by being run over by a tank in World War II. Blood and guts everywhere. His other grandfather fell into a pool of molten iron in a foundry. (This story was told in 1972, long before Terminator 2). His other grandfather was murdered by an angry mob for reasons unknown. His other grandfather fell off the top of the Empire State Building while he was building it, landing on a car so hard it exploded and killed 30 people on the street below. Another grandfather, well, you get the idea. By the end of the school year somewhere between 8 and 10 of his grandfather had met gruesome ends.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Genesplicer posted:

I remember in 5th grade there was a kid in our class who was a chronic liar. If he were an old man, he would be called a "Spinner of Tall Tales". In 5th grade, he was just a liar. He loved to tell us how relatives died in horrible ways. His grandfather died by being run over by a tank in World War II. Blood and guts everywhere. His other grandfather fell into a pool of molten iron in a foundry. (This story was told in 1972, long before Terminator 2). His other grandfather was murdered by an angry mob for reasons unknown. His other grandfather fell off the top of the Empire State Building while he was building it, landing on a car so hard it exploded and killed 30 people on the street below. Another grandfather, well, you get the idea. By the end of the school year somewhere between 8 and 10 of his grandfather had met gruesome ends.

For a compulsive liar that kid is pretty cool.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Genesplicer posted:

I explain to my students (middle school kids) that, in all honesty, nobody will give a poo poo about what you did and what grades you earned in middle school after your first year of high school. Nobody will care about what you did and what grades you earned in high school once you are in college, and nobody will really care about what you did in college, once you have established your career.

No one thought to look into those life insurance policies grandma kept taking out?

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Internet Old One posted:

For a compulsive liar that kid is pretty cool.

Like I said, if he were an old man, he would be called a "Spinner of Tall Tales".

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

I. M. Gei posted:

And then they invented the ballpoint pen and this ceased to be necessary.

Outrail posted:

I had a buddy who tried to join the military. Apparently, he failed the psych exam because he answered 'Yes' to 'Do you think you're better than other people?'.

I believe it.

If you're American I'm shocked that this wasn't an advantage. I turned 18 at the height of the Iraq war and recruiters were so horny for 18 year old boys. They use to call my house all the time and I'd troll the poo poo out of them. They would say absolutely anything to try and relate to you and had an answer for everything. It was pretty well known they were so desperate they'd take just about anyone. I had a friend who told a recruiter that he he'd had back surgery a few years prior, flat feet, and was on psych meds. All of these things were true. The recruiter's response to these things were "Not a big deal" and "We can get you right off those.". I had a guy from the Marines tell me he'd come pick me up from school when I said I didn't have a car. In fact this fits the thread well. They'd say absolutely wild poo poo. One guy told me he really wanted to go back to Iraq but his commander wouldn't let him. My response to that was "Why do they have a cool water park or something?". He just completely ignored that and kept trying his sales pitch. He asked what my hobbies were and I mentioned movies so he was like "Gene Hackman was a Marine, you know!". I knew who he was because I was a film nerd but how many loving teenagers in 2005 are going to be like "OH poo poo, GENE HACKMAN!?"? I wish I could remember more of the crazy rear end claims and blatant lies they'd peddle every single time they called here which was a lot. They'd always say there's nothing political about the war when I mentioned that I didn't like Bush or his politics and generally how I didn't support the war. There was a grand total of one time the guy on the phone didn't put up with my bullshit and said "Do you want to serve your country or not?" so I said "No." and he said "Thanks for nothing!" and slammed the phone down.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL

Genesplicer posted:

Dead grandfather

This reminded me of a friend of mine that kept ducking out of football practices for funerals for his dead grandparents throughout highschool. By the time we were seniors he had 4 grandpas and 3 grandmas.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

PureEvil6_13 posted:

The ex of a girl I dated in college was starting poo poo with me in a bar once but said he wasn't allowed to fight me because he's going through SEAL training.

Because if you punched him in the nose he wouldn't be able to balance a beach ball on it and would flunk out

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
"Go to college, study what you love and the money will follow"

the money did not follow

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

CPL593H posted:

And then they invented the ballpoint pen and this ceased to be necessary.

If you're American I'm shocked that this wasn't an advantage. I turned 18 at the height of the Iraq war and recruiters were so horny for 18 year old boys. They use to call my house all the time and I'd troll the poo poo out of them. They would say absolutely anything to try and relate to you and had an answer for everything. It was pretty well known they were so desperate they'd take just about anyone. I had a friend who told a recruiter that he he'd had back surgery a few years prior, flat feet, and was on psych meds. All of these things were true. The recruiter's response to these things were "Not a big deal" and "We can get you right off those.". I had a guy from the Marines tell me he'd come pick me up from school when I said I didn't have a car. In fact this fits the thread well. They'd say absolutely wild poo poo. One guy told me he really wanted to go back to Iraq but his commander wouldn't let him. My response to that was "Why do they have a cool water park or something?". He just completely ignored that and kept trying his sales pitch. He asked what my hobbies were and I mentioned movies so he was like "Gene Hackman was a Marine, you know!". I knew who he was because I was a film nerd but how many loving teenagers in 2005 are going to be like "OH poo poo, GENE HACKMAN!?"? I wish I could remember more of the crazy rear end claims and blatant lies they'd peddle every single time they called here which was a lot. They'd always say there's nothing political about the war when I mentioned that I didn't like Bush or his politics and generally how I didn't support the war. There was a grand total of one time the guy on the phone didn't put up with my bullshit and said "Do you want to serve your country or not?" so I said "No." and he said "Thanks for nothing!" and slammed the phone down.

This was :australia: and while I'm entirely ignorant on the subject, I suspect their recruitment process has standards far higher than countries fueled by Freedom.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

PureEvil6_13 posted:

This reminded me of a friend of mine that kept ducking out of football practices for funerals for his dead grandparents throughout highschool. By the time we were seniors he had 4 grandpas and 3 grandmas.

Pretty lovely not to recognize non-standard family units. Sounds like you've got a lot of growing up to do.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Serious_Cyclone posted:

"Go to college, study what you love and the money will follow"

the money did not follow

“Do what you love and you’ll never work a day in your life” - yet nobody’s paying me just to sit around jerking off. Curious!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Futanari Damacy posted:

“Do what you love and you’ll never work a day in your life” - yet nobody’s paying me just to sit around jerking off. Curious!

What's your Onlyfans?

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
"The job is pretty cruisy"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Chewbecca posted:

"The job is pretty cruisy"

:suicide:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Because if you punched him in the nose he wouldn't be able to balance a beach ball on it and would flunk out

I watched a video where an actual Navy SEAL was talking about if someone tries to fight you and his advice is that you should always run away from a fight because there are a number of unintended consequences that just not worth it and could potentially ruin your life. Basically he was explaining stuff about how everyone thinks its like the movies but in real life you could seriously get hosed up or gently caress someone else up bad enough where you end up in jail. Or if you hit someone the wrong way in the wrong place you could just loving kill them.

Outrail posted:

This was :australia: and while I'm entirely ignorant on the subject, I suspect their recruitment process has standards far higher than countries fueled by Freedom.

We had military recruiters at my loving high school on a regular basis which is a thing that shouldn't even be allowed.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

CPL593H posted:

I watched a video where an actual Navy SEAL was talking about if someone tries to fight you and his advice is that you should always run away from a fight because there are a number of unintended consequences that just not worth it and could potentially ruin your life. Basically he was explaining stuff about how everyone thinks its like the movies but in real life you could seriously get hosed up or gently caress someone else up bad enough where you end up in jail. Or if you hit someone the wrong way in the wrong place you could just loving kill them.

This “video” you watched was just the movie “Con Air”

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

These stories reminded me of the time an army recruiter visited one of my classes in loving 7th grade. Obviously they weren’t signing up 13 year olds but they were trying to get everyone (boys only) excited about becoming real life army men. Two uniformed dudes occupied my study hall pointing out skinny weaklings and fat slobs and yelling about how they were going to whip them into shape. Followed by a demonstration of the kind of demeaning drill sarge “you little maggot!” screaming we would be subjected to on the first day of boot camp. All the bullies and jocks were loving psyched that day but I was like sir no sir this poo poo is not for me.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Outrail posted:

The austrialian military recruitment posters are loving hilarious. Theres one near a bus stop near my uni that has the caption " My education is pretty interesting" and its just a woman in army fatigues sitting a desk in the middle of a field with a tank battle happening around her.

Now in not in the army but ill bet thats not a real position

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Probably that bullshit 'Contemporary Mechanized Warfare 203' course

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

I had to read poorly scanned original survey notes from the 1850s to the 1880s and that poo poo is virtually unfuckingreadable

I have a copy of one of the more readable ones. They get a lot worse due to the bad copy:

Eatin on a random 500lb rear end, 22 very vast jugs :crossarms:

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Eatin on a random 500lb rear end, 22 very vast jugs :crossarms:

East on a random line between sections 22 and 27 var 5° E

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Of course, how could I not see it :geno:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
How to win friends and influence people my rear end

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I. M. Gei posted:

The point of cursive is to write words without lifting your pen up off the page between each letter.

Like I don't do that anyway.

Of course our nomenclature is a bit different.

Kaunokirjoitus - "beauty writing" (kaunokirjallisuus is "fiction", literally "beauty literature" or, more literally "beauty bookness") which is what I was taught at school as the adult way of writing, and was what we had to write our matriculation exams for, in ink (well, biro, but it's still indelible).

Käsiala - "handwriting" or "hand" for short (literally "hand area" no I have no idea of the etymology) which is how you write naturally. Used to be most people's hand was based on kaunokirjoitus, mine (as you can see) isn't. Also not cursive in the literal sense but it could be.

Tekstaus - "texting" which is how we were taught to normally write - except with the letter forms I use. This has been redone several times over the years. Our new teachers used letter forms more closely resembling kaunokirjoitus, but not connected.

Anyway thanks for reading.

e: can't believe I missed a J dot :(

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

East on a random line between sections 22 and 27 var 5° E

I think my reading was more emotionally correct. :hmmyes:

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

I have an original diary from a farmer in central New York state in 1870. The writing is really clear and precise. I'd post a few pages, but it's in my desk at school. I post the daily entry for my students. Interesting historic perspective.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

What was up with all the compulsive liars? I knew two.

Lies from one

-she was in a commercial when she was little with her brother and sister and when asked why we never saw it it was because it was in another place in the country.
-that Mulder and Scully actually kissed but she didn't see them kiss the picture cut out on the TV but she heard them kiss and it was for sure a big romantic kiss and not like a friend kiss.

Lies from the second
-she just found out she had stage 4 brain cancer! (she was fine the next week though, it went away)
-her boyfriend is a super secret military diver on a mission to kill Bin Ladin (this was in October of 2001)

Is it the attention? Because cancer liar sure got a lot of attention from us, but the moment I figured out she was a loving liar I never spoke to her again.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I’ve told this story before but my friends and I were drinking at a bar in Montreal years ago when we strike up a conversation with this guy. Anyway as the night progresses he begins telling us how he was heavily involved with the team that eventually took out Bin Laden etc a bunch of other presumably top secret military stuff.

A year later I’m watching a show about Bin Laden on the History Channel and there’s that same fuckin guy being interviewed.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

That same dipshit totally didn't canoe bin Laden and gently caress everything up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

MrQwerty posted:

That same dipshit totally didn't canoe bin Laden and gently caress everything up

Nah he was an older guy, he trained them or something. He wasn’t the chud SEAL that claimed to have been the one that fired the shot.