Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I cry in malls because they never have Cinnabon anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The person who made this video didn't actually film the cool seating spot(s) (or they are not there anymore idk, I haven't been there in 3-4 years) but you can see the general area in this vid at 6mins:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kik64H27DSA&t=360s

If I remember right the spot I am thinking of is to the right at about 6:30 in this video, where a cut is made (perhaps the video editor cut out the cool seating spot to preserve its secret)

But the entire 3rd floor here is like completely empty and dead any time I've gone to this mall so really you can just pick anywhere up there to sit down and enjoy the weird liminal a e s t h e t i c mallfeel

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

deep dish peat moss posted:

Phoenix mall stuff

Born and raised in Tucson and I went to Phoenix for an all expenses paid weekend in 1991 to watch a football game between the Cardinals and Patriots at Sun Devil Stadium. I made it a point for my dad to take me to Metrocenter Mall to see the filming location of Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure. The skating rink was gone by then (IIRC), but it was great seeing it look almost the same and bustling. I know it’s been closed since 2020 and will be demolished soon, but it looks like they’re gonna show Bill & Ted there one time before demo, which sounds like a nice send-off. Looks like the famous Circle K in Tempe closed just recently, too. drat.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
My local mall seems to be doing ok but it's mostly old people that live here so that's probably why

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I got sad at a mall in Singapore too and it was doing alright. I'm not sure I'm sad just because malls are dying.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Oh, then you have mallic social memory depression

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I know in my area one mall is dead and basically bulldozed at this point (a company formed just to buy the mall in an attempt to "revive" it before charging everyone still there triple the rent to drive out the few decent businesses there, then shut it down despite rumors of turning it into a glorified old folks home), but the other one still seems to be doing well even despite the pandemic (though it's the south so nobody here really gave a poo poo to begin with).

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mega64 posted:

I know in my area one mall is dead and basically bulldozed at this point (a company formed just to buy the mall in an attempt to "revive" it before charging everyone still there triple the rent to drive out the few decent businesses there, then shut it down despite rumors of turning it into a glorified old folks home), but the other one still seems to be doing well even despite the pandemic (though it's the south so nobody here really gave a poo poo to begin with).

I was going to play guess the town but being real there's probably hundreds of choices at this point

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

This thread made me look up what became of my childhood mall. According to a depressing walkthrough video on YouTube it limped along changing ownership a few times until the big old department stores like Sears died, then was finally closed for good in 2019.

My 80s hangout is now home to a literal Flock of Seagulls which can be heard squawking in the video.

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Cloud help us the Mall is dying

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Walkthrough

The group starts outside of a three-story mall, and after entering the mall must deal $50,000 worth of property damage. Windows, cars, and anything that can be knocked around or broken will count towards the property damage score.

Once the group goes loud, they must act quickly to cause the proper amount of property damage to trigger the escape via helicopter. The group will then need to defend their position until an escape helicopter can extract them. The helicopter always lands at the back of the mall, the escape area is the walk way in front of the gym. Several stores in this area can offer cover while waiting for the helicopter. Snipers are especially dangerous as risk level rises.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
The only mall near me that is doing well dropped their rents massively about a year into the pandemic. As a result a bunch of weird stores which wouldn't normally even come close to breaking even opened. It was very cool.

They've since jacked the rent back up and it's now just a bunch of cellphone stores, a Korean convenience store (which kicks rear end), and a supermarket. I'm sure the place will be dead soon.

If the landlords could accept making a bit less money, they'd be able to continue to turn a profit pretty much indefinitely. But instead they've chosen bankruptcy. Oh well.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
For me its that buying stuff and getting stuff bought for me used to make me so happy, but now I realize that life is meaningless and the mall feels a bunch of people distracting themselves before they die.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

the older I get the less I can stand being around people for any length of time so malls hold no appeal even if they're still vibrant and alive. I can barely get through a trip to the grocery store without wanting to hiss at someone.

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

Watch true stories

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

the older I get the less I can stand being around people for any length of time so malls hold no appeal even if they're still vibrant and alive. I can barely get through a trip to the grocery store without wanting to hiss at someone.

you should try having a wank

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Fighting Elegy posted:

For me its that buying stuff and getting stuff bought for me used to make me so happy, but now I realize that life is meaningless and the mall feels a bunch of people distracting themselves before they die.

This is a big part of what I'm feeling yeah.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

I went to the mall for the first time in about 10 years last October and honestly I had a fun, nostalgic time.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Fighting Elegy posted:

a bunch of people distracting themselves before they die.

Uh yeah that's life, get with the program and distract yourself fool.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Fighting Elegy posted:

Yeah

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Are you dying Applewhite?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hardawn posted:

Are you dying Applewhite?

As soon as you're born, you're dying

*Sick bass guitar playing*

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I never went to malls as a kid since there were none near where I lived and have no feelings about them today other than maybe they are some place I might need to go to buy something. :shrug:

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
the Palmer Park mall is the mall I have my childhood mall memories about and it still seems to be limping along, which is somehow a bit of a relief.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Kramer: "As soon as you're born, you're dying, Jerry"

*Seinfeld bass guitar playing*

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The mall

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

The maw.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Grandma is coming from to take us to service merchandise and Im going to get a new st. louis blues jersey bitch! That's not sad. How could you be sad??

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

You can meet me at the mall, it's going down

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It's your memories of being unable to hang with the cool kids.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

OP walks around at the mall with his headphones on listening to Thank You by Dido.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

OP walks around at the mall with his headphones on listening to Thank You by Dido.

too far calm down

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Because modern malls suck Mega rear end. No arcades, no good game stores anymore, they're way more expensive, all the niche stores have been replaced by generic crap, and you're lucky if they still have the reams of plants they used to.

Oh, and all the lighting is eye searing now because we don't use flourescents anymore.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Mustang posted:

The US needs more public markets with local vendors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82byORQyTVw

Pike Place Market in Seattle pulls in huge crowds and is packed full of stores and vendors you would never see in a mall.

My favorite place there is the Old Seattle Paperworks which sells old paper prints of stuff like movies, music shows, magazines, newspapers, etc.

:hmmyes:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

The Scottsdale mall is a good place to find yourself if you're too high to function or on psychedelics or something, because if you go up to the 3rd floor there's an entire corner of the mall that has no stores, and the only thing up there is a bunch of couches and seats that no one knows about so no one is ever there, and the entire roof above them is skylights. It's far enough away from the rest of the mall that it's quiet and you can hear the subtle smooth jazz playing over the mall's PA that gets drowned out anywhere else. So you just get to recline on these big posh couches and stare at the sky in a pristine clean environment that looks like an uncanny liminal slice of paradise it's pretty neat. But that mall is really really awful other than that and other than the art gallery that does cool traveling art installation exhibits (which is coincidentally just below the sky-couch zone)

:lsd:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

The closest mall to me is Fiesta Mall in Mesa Az which was abandoned about 5 years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfjYd9U_0ig

It's right next to Mesa Community College which used to be huge - it was the largest community college west of the Mississippi until republicans did away with its state funding :kiddo: But it's still a very popular school for ASU students, who take most of their undergrad and prereq classes there.

This is relevant becauseASU allegedly had one of the most in-demand nursing programs in the US - there used to be a literal 4-7 year waiting list to join the Nursing program at ASU, which meant the nursing program at MCC was pretty big too, because they were handling all the overflow of nursing students who wanted to spend those 4-7 years taking some classes at least.

For a while after Fiesta Mall was closed, word on the street was that MCC had bought it and was going to convert it into a second campus for nursing students. And that seemed like a really cool idea to me - take these old abandoned malls and make them into schools. But I guess the Pandemic changed all of that so that plan went away.

Anyway the new plan is kind of cool too, maybe, or at least it has potential to be. It was bought by some developers who are essentially trying to turn it into a sort of arcology - it's going to be converted to a bunch of apartments, green space, and flexible office/studio space. Not quite a self-sustaining arcology but I think it's a cool and forward-thinking idea to have housing next to communal office space and stuff. Of course it's probably going to be some posh expensive bullshit because that area of Mesa has been gentrifying itself hard for the last ~5 years.

Fiesta Mall no! I grew up in the Mesa area, had my first orange Julius here. Lost my innocence browsing R rated birthday cards in Spencer’s. I think I even got my first haircut there. I remember that being scary :kiddo:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Malls are alive and thriving here in communist China.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

kntfkr posted:

Malls are alive and thriving here in communist China.

It's like when Paul Wall said "screenname chynadoll"

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Nuts and Gum posted:

Fiesta Mall no! I grew up in the Mesa area, had my first orange Julius here. Lost my innocence browsing R rated birthday cards in Spencer’s. I think I even got my first haircut there. I remember that being scary :kiddo:

Pretty brave getting your hair cut at Spencer’s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
I went to a mall in Vienna, West Virginia in early December last year. It was like walking onto a mall in 1995 or something, it was so packed and busy. I have to imagine the internet just never made it to that part of the state and they're thriving.