Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
the mall probably makes you sad because malls suck now OP

come to think of it malls always did suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Applewhite posted:

I'm standing here surrounded by a treasure trove of anything I could want and the smells of my childhood and I can barely see it all through the tears.

This isn't the first time. Why does the mall fill me with such heartache?

Are your parents dead?

If not, perhaps malls make you grieve for those candies and toys of your childhood which are no longer manufactured.

Or grieve for the way, when you were little, you could sometimes talk a parent into buying you toys and treats. Whereas now you have to work to scare up the money for them. Hell, I feel like crying about that now. :cry:

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

3 A.M. Radio posted:

I went to a mall in Vienna, West Virginia in early December last year. It was like walking onto a mall in 1995 or something, it was so packed and busy. I have to imagine the internet just never made it to that part of the state and they're thriving.

pretty much https://broadbandnow.com/West-Virginia

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I’ve been binge watching this YouTuber’s videos because they are obviously archived decades of B-roll news footage that’s been digitized and uploaded of the most mundane things, but they are truly time machines to a different time. Some mall footage of yore:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e78cPTqazEM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J07a9rDkgGU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHgrp3gUrgQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrwOgDckxxg

Man, hearing those clicky-clacky beep-boop dot matrix receipt registers brings back a lot of memories :allears:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

It's like when Paul Wall said "screenname chynadoll"

paul drywall

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Visiting the mall fills you with shame looking back at the mindless consumerism that we can no longer afford, longing for a time when things sucked a lot less and looked like things might actually get better, and twists the knife of despair because it shows just how worse everything is now and that there's no going back in time.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm the forlorn Sears employee staring out the door in contemplative shock.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 19, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I was at the mall jacking it. The police officer couldn't catch me. He thought the geometry sensible but the walls started to move, blocked him off. I heard him screaming somewhere in the distance. He'd likely be caught in that plane of existence for at least a few thousand years.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
1989 edition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiYLBpBTFlI

2010 edition
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR9HfF6Agg8

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Milo and POTUS posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the rent is still exorbitant either though I couldn't say for certain. If too many stores are going belly up, maybe your rent is too drat high. Nobody wants to shop at a mall with empty stores

Commercial real estate - financing, laws, taxes, etc. - is all real weird. I dont really understand any of it, and its going to vary wildly from city/state/country, but at an extremely high level there is a certain :airquote: number :airquote: for every commercial property, some $ per square foot, and unless its leased for that number+, than it makes more financial sense to let the building sit/rot.

Ignoring that office buildings aren't built to support humans living in them, this is one of the big reasons that office space doesn't get converted instantly into housing.

:stare: I worked in a mall in 1996 :stare:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm the forlorn Sears employee staring out the door in contemplative shock.

I’m the cameraman (reporter?)’s delayed soft “yes” to the woman’s, “Kind of a disaster day, isn’t it?”

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Jelly posted:

Quoting this in the hopes that I'll actually remember to do it this time

I wonder if Bellevue Square is still somewhat active, I feel like that's the most active / best mall I've ever been to

When I worked in the Boise mall quite a few years ago (like a decade or something) it felt like it was already dying but I bet it's basically the same now because it's still Boise

If you mean Bellevue Square in WA, it’s still there and very busy. I don’t go there much but the Din Tai Fung is good and some of the stores are ok, but most of the stores are luxury and there are absurd furniture stores that charge thousands for ugly tables. The movie theater is great.

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

The dude who created the mall had the idea for them to also have apartments, schools, health care centres, an all encompassing community like the platzls in Austria he moved from to the US

But then he got paid a lot to just design places with shops and not the community so he said gently caress it and made his bank

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

You know I personally hate the mail, it's constantly junk garbage and I really loving hate getting my mailbox completely filled because I don't check it often enough. The mailman probably hates me too cuz there's at least a hundred letters in there at any given time

gently caress the mail. Truly wish that I could just remove it completely. I do however enjoy coupons now that I'm a little older LOL free pizza coupons are great for free pizza. Hoover most of my mail goes into the trash immediately. I really should just keep a trash can right next to my mailbox and put it from the mailbox to the trash can so that the garbage man can pick it up after the mailman delivers it.

Otherwise it's kind of funny I still have mail going to my mother's house which I have to pick up in a giant loving pile every couple months, mostly random crap and credit card application/home mortgage refinance/jumbo loans and all this other stupid poo poo that I could have no loving business dealing with. What I do like about the post office is the passport services, but now that I have one I can just renew it online so I really don't use that anymore.

I guess there's no point in the mail service in my eyes I understand that it does have a point many people use it daily and yes it's nice to get cards from Grandma but in general it feels like a waste of paper.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2vpvT11fjs

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHIAx4udcPk

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I only really have mall memories from the early-mid Seventies, my mom would take me once a year to buy school clothes, and the mall seemed a very long drive from our house.

But it was so cool, it had a two story aviary filled with brightly colored tropical birds, it had a little river that started at the fountain and wound around in front of the toy store, so you had to walk over a little arched bridge to look at the toys. Probably not real ADA-compliant, thinking back.

But the best part was the basement - there was an actual small racetrack with little cars you could rent for like 15 minutes at a time and pretend to be Mario Andretti, along with pinball machines - it was too early for most arcade games, although some really primitive ones were there.

I went back once in the late Nineties and it was a shithole, all the cool features were gone and it already felt like it was on life support. It’s still there, although I’m sure it’s hurting, as the empty Sears building is still empty.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Some of you feel bad for the decline of the American mall.

That is because you're crazy. It has no feelings. And shopping online is much better.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Applewhite posted:

I'm standing here surrounded by a treasure trove of anything I could want and the smells of my childhood and I can barely see it all through the tears.

This isn't the first time. Why does the mall fill me with such heartache?

A mall should make anyone sane feel bad.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I was at the mall jacking it. The police officer couldn't catch me. He thought the geometry sensible but the walls started to move, blocked him off. I heard him screaming somewhere in the distance. He'd likely be caught in that plane of existence for at least a few thousand years.

how dare you compare our beloved Mall to the Backrooms :mad:

the Mall has very stable geometry and will never die tyvm

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

AcidCat posted:

Uh yeah that's life, get with the program and distract yourself fool.

I guess that's why malls are so horrible. They make it so obvious that's what happening that I can't distract myself from the rapidly approaching death train going "choo choo all aboard". Going into a mall is like putting on those glasses from They Live.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔
I grew up somewhere with actual wilderness. A few highways intersected nearby, but it was over swampland and a historic slave cemetery, so the area didn't really get developed. Then around the year 2000 they built a giant 4 story mall right on that swamp, paving over everything for parking lots, completely loving the local ecosystem. They just kind of built "around" the cemetery. This coincided with a housing boom in which the surrounding forest got bulldozed to build McMansions. It's the most cursed haunted place

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Several malls still thrive in St Louis. What's coming back into style is outdoor outlet malls

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
Same op. Malls give me a nice hit of nostalgia which is most definitely romanticized. But at the same time leave me with a weird feeling of melancholy that things will never get better.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

lol at people doomering itt. Malls being dead and mostly gone is a good thing. They're inefficient wastes of land and despite the fact that we had good memories there, malls always sucked.

Now, as suburbia starts to collapse under its own weight maybe we'll see the resurgence of the mall but probably more like a blend of the Asian malls with the tiny storefronts and old marketplaces.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
At this point calling someone a doomer is akin to telling someone to stop screaming because the wings coming off the airplane we're currently sitting in doesn't necessarily mean we're about to die in a plane crash.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I miss mall fountains.

That's the real crime. No more extravagant public fountains.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
I can go to the store that has tiny khaki pants, or I can go to the store that has slightly tinier khaki pants, or i can go to spencers.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
My only happy childhood memory is strangers joining in and helping me beat Revolution X

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I've heard a few of the smarter malls are moving away from retail and converting themselves into indoor theme parks and recreation areas. Things you can't get online.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Applewhite posted:

I've heard a few of the smarter malls are moving away from retail and converting themselves into indoor theme parks and recreation areas. Things you can't get online.

There's a minigolf setup in the mall nearby with glow in the dark everything, like some 90s space dream. It's a cool use of what used to be a clothing store.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

EvilJoven posted:

At this point calling someone a doomer is akin to telling someone to stop screaming because the wings coming off the airplane we're currently sitting in doesn't necessarily mean we're about to die in a plane crash.

The wings have always been coming off the airplane, we've always had issues. Unless you're going to be an activist or do something about whatever upsets you, you may as well just stay informed and live as best you can with what you're given. Falling into your fainting chair about some hypothetical future and over-hyped past doesn't help anyone.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Imagine ordering poo poo from Amazon to be delivered in a day or two in a wasteful cardboard box three sizes too big to save a dollar when you can just go the mall and get it now, shaking my drat head

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I would suck off jeff bezos as he stabs to death the last mall. God I love him.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I recently went to that giant mall in Florida, and I ate some tres leches cake at a restaurant there that was so good that it nearly brought a tear to my eye :unsmith:

Otherwise, according to my many diary entries about the subject, going to the mall = flirting with cute boys at the music store, buying '00s nu metal CDs at the music store, and...yeah.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

YeahTubaMike posted:

I recently went to that giant mall in Florida, and I ate some tres leches cake at a restaurant there that was so good that it nearly brought a tear to my eye :unsmith:

Otherwise, according to my many diary entries about the subject, going to the mall = flirting with cute boys at the music store, buying '00s nu metal CDs at the music store, and...yeah.

One of my favorite mall memories is the following exchange a friend's brother had with an employee at FYE.

-Excuse me, do you have anything by Dying Fetus?
-Um...... no.
-WHY NOT?!? :mad:

My high school was directly across from the mall. We'd sprint across a highway. Senior year they built a pedestrian overpass. It sucks compared to what it was but that's also the death of american society. I blame private equity and home consoles as much as Bezos but the mall itself is relatively healthy. Once the arcades left the movie theaters, every flag in the country should have been burned and the experiment declared over. gently caress U USA!!!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

kntfkr posted:

One of my favorite mall memories is the following exchange a friend's brother had with an employee at FYE.

-Excuse me, do you have anything by Dying Fetus?
-Um...... no.
-WHY NOT?!? :mad:

:lol: :black101: I wasn't quite there yet during the music store era, I still had my nu metal training wheels on

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ralph Hurley posted:

Do malls still have old folks that congregate early in the morning when the mall first opens but the stores are still closed so they can get exercise by slowly shuffling around and around in bright colored sweatsuits? I witnessed that once in the early 90s and found it incredibly funny. I figure boomers are that age now.

lol yes. The last time I went to the mall they were the only ones there. It's a way of "getting out" when it's cold outside.

Everything at the mall was just shittier than I remembered. Even the corner stores all had massive empty sections like they were having a going out of business sale.

The pretzel stands didn't even have brown pretzels and slushes. Just weird folded bread in a pretzel shape and the same arctic ice blue/red poo poo as everywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Tarkus posted:

lol at people doomering itt. Malls being dead and mostly gone is a good thing. They're inefficient wastes of land and despite the fact that we had good memories there, malls always sucked.

Now, as suburbia starts to collapse under its own weight maybe we'll see the resurgence of the mall but probably more like a blend of the Asian malls with the tiny storefronts and old marketplaces.

:wrong:

i can be a much more efficient consumer when I'm not SWEATING MY drat BALLS OFF BECAUSE EVERY WALKWAY IS OUTSIDE