Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Not directing that at Wurts who seems a perfectly fine writer, more …the idea that like, Brandon sanderson and 90% of the reprocessed magic system stuff out there is the literature of the imagination and like, Toni Morrison isn’t.

(Honestly I wish more fantasy writers would use their imagination. It would make their books a lot better!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I won't poo poo up the thread after this, but to me the challenge with books like these is that (going by Amazon) there are eleven of them at about 700 pages each. That's like five Wars and Peace.

This is such a big ask of the reader's time; just the other day I read M David Harrison's book The Pastel City, which is a sci-fi fantasy about a war between two countries using salvaged technology from prior civilizations. In the story the lead comes out of retirement, reunites him with his old companions, joins the war at a critical battle which the good guys lose, watches as the villains' technology turns on them, then learns the secret of that technology and journeys to put an end to the threat once and for all.

It's 176 pages long.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

porfiria posted:

I won't poo poo up the thread after this, but to me the challenge with books like these is that (going by Amazon) there are eleven of them at about 700 pages each. That's like five Wars and Peace.

This is such a big ask of the reader's time; just the other day I read M David Harrison's book The Pastel City, which is a sci-fi fantasy about a war between two countries using salvaged technology from prior civilizations. In the story the lead comes out of retirement, reunites him with his old companions, joins the war at a critical battle which the good guys lose, watches as the villains' technology turns on them, then learns the secret of that technology and journeys to put an end to the threat once and for all.

It's 176 pages long.

Have you made the same post in the Wheel of Time, GRRM, and Malazan threads?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

StrixNebulosa posted:

Have you made the same post in the Wheel of Time, GRRM, and Malazan threads?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I have to roll my eyes every time this defense of elf and spaceship books come up - that, like your story about Robowarrior Sexhaver and his harem of elf ladies is actually in the mythical tradition of Charles Dickens because Dickens put ghosts in A Christmas Story.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Books can just be entertaining, they don't have to transcend meaning or convey great ideas even.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
I just finished the first book, but I didn't like anything after the coronation. The problem is that I completely despise mind control stories. The concept of "an inherently evil being made me do this" is just extremely boring, regardless of whether the victim is aware of it. To be honest I consider it lazy writing.

Does this get better somehow?

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Walh Hara posted:

Does this get better somehow?

If it helps, the titular Mistwraith and their curse is more the inciting incident for the rest of the series, which is about everybody trying to figure out a way that doesn't require mass slaughter, compromise the restoration of the Fellowship, or do anything that would threaten Paravian survival and therefore violate the Compact and result in the F7 eradicating mankind.

If you're talking about Lysaer specifically, general direction spoilers up to book 10 though no event or specific spoilers: he pretty much cycles between bouts of being mindlessly puppeted by the curse (and various factions who know how to exploit this weakness) and lucidity and temporary self control but is never really equipped to battle it properly

If it helps, the payoffs are quite incredible. I love this series.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Someone tell me which book is first and I guess I'll try this out

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

RC Cola posted:

Someone tell me which book is first and I guess I'll try this out

Curse of the Mistwraith is book 1. Enjoy!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Leng posted:

If it helps, the titular Mistwraith and their curse is more the inciting incident for the rest of the series, which is about everybody trying to figure out a way that doesn't require mass slaughter, compromise the restoration of the Fellowship, or do anything that would threaten Paravian survival and therefore violate the Compact and result in the F7 eradicating mankind.

If you're talking about Lysaer specifically, general direction spoilers up to book 10 though no event or specific spoilers: he pretty much cycles between bouts of being mindlessly puppeted by the curse (and various factions who know how to exploit this weakness) and lucidity and temporary self control but is never really equipped to battle it properly

If it helps, the payoffs are quite incredible. I love this series.

I stopped reading the books at some point because I couldn't take Lysaer any longer. Arithon was always the more likeably character, but Lysaer got done dirty, and I was so ready for this bullshit to end. I admit that it was a compelling plot device at first, but I felt like it just went on and on and on.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Torrannor posted:

I stopped reading the books at some point because I couldn't take Lysaer any longer. Arithon was always the more likeably character, but Lysaer got done dirty, and I was so ready for this bullshit to end. I admit that it was a compelling plot device at first, but I felt like it just went on and on and on.

I've got to say, as I read through Ships of Merior again, there is something profoundly compelling/tragic about how the primary "villain" is someone I dearly care about and pity and want to rescue.

Meanwhile I confess that in my heart of hearts I don't like Dakar, nor find him funny. I think I'm an outlier here, but his continual "i'm drunk and horny ha ha sexual harrassment!" makes me so profoundly angry that it's hard to appreciate any character growth he gets later on.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Sorry you're not getting the reaction you're clearly hoping for.

Anyhow, I liked the Empire books she did with Feist back in the day, especially since she more or less entirely wrote those and Feist kept writing the same book over and over. I hadn't heard of these, so I'll give the first one a shot.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Guuuuuyyysss

https://twitter.com/JannyWurts/status/1658158189534228501

Apparently there is a sneak peek in this podcast episode but I do not like listening to audiobooks so I am holding off:

https://twitter.com/JannyWurts/status/1658108063729983499

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

A year to wait — but only a year! Thank god! I am so excited!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I might have missed the explanation in book 1, are the worlds connected by the worldsend gates, creations of the fellowship of sorcerers?

In book 2 Kharadmon mentions the fellowship exiled people through the south gate that wanted to develop technology. Which had me curious.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
GUYS

https://twitter.com/PhilipChase90/status/1705194078642512383?t=WerRXBEuSGyU0Ni0A_hjrw&s=19

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Annnnnnd we now have an exact release date (28 May 2024) and the hardcover pre-order:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0008653909/

864 pages. I can't wait.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Leng posted:

Annnnnnd we now have an exact release date (28 May 2024) and the hardcover pre-order:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0008653909/

864 pages. I can't wait.

ah gently caress, I forgot books release as hardcovers. drat.... do I wait for paperback or just bite the bullet....

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
My library's already got it on pre-order, which I'm excited about. And when it comes out in paperback, I will be buying it for my shelves!

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
For anyone who's been putting off starting The Wars of Light and Shadow because all the books are massive chonkers and you want an audiobook, rejoice! An audiobook of Curse of the Mistwraith will be releasing very soon:

https://twitter.com/JannyWurts/status/1766863326875693267

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Audiobook of Curse of the Mistwraith is out!

https://twitter.com/JannyWurts/status/1783492652526195060

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Thanks, I'll add it to rotation.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
It's a weirdly staccato delivery by a guy with a great voice. "The boat. Drew abreast. Of the survivors." I'll be curious to know how people feel about it after a longer listen than the preview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I got 50% of the way through book two before realizing it wasn't the first without feeling too bad about it when I realized so it's got something going for it.