  • Post
Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

If you like to learn things the internet is the best resource ever made. The internet is to books what books were to the spoken word. Washing machine hosed? Look on youtube, somebody surely has fixed it and recorded the procedure for you follow. Wanna learn electronics, programming or anything of a technical nature? Check out the tens of thousands of resources on the very exact thing you're looking for in volumes that you wouldn't be able to comb through in a lifetime. Need to ask a very specific question about the difference between an HC-05 and HC-06 module, get a concise (usually correct) answer from chatGPT. Want to share stories with people who have your specific variety of toe fungus, there's a subreddit or forum for that.

The internet is loving amazing and we as a species are barely coming to terms with how to use it effectively. So yes, there is worth left.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Had me at usually correct answer from chatgpt lmao

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Taima posted:

Honestly Reddit ended up being one of the last bastions of actual real discussion and answers. I don't know if/when that will change due to bots but if I search on google I'm searching reddit 99% of the time.

Yeah. It's stupid. Now whenever I google something, I add reddit to the search string if I want to get an actual answer.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Tarkus posted:

The internet is loving amazing and we as a species are barely coming to terms with how to use it effectively. So yes, there is worth left.

This is how I learned to use my old cars Bluetooth

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Not just the Internet, but once reputable (lol) news corps that used to at least try and tell you what’s going on in the world instead of 99% of :airquote:news:airquote: becoming links to Reddit posts and TikTok videos.

“JUST 45 VIRAL TIKTOK PRODUCTS THAT WILL KEEP YOUR HOUSE CLEAN!”
“Reddit user finds 1830s dildo and butt plug at flea market for $20. ‘I COULDN’T BELIEVE IT!’”
“6 TIKTOK DANCES YOU CAN DO TO HELP RAISE AWARENESS FOR BEING AWARE OF AWARENESS”
“Reddit user has Internet asking ‘am I the rear end in a top hat?’ for sticking 1830s dildo and butt plug up own rear end before having them appraised”

Who. Gives. A. poo poo.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i download books, movie, games, music and more from the internet--all for free. surely there is some worth there

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

let’s start a webring

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Ehud posted:

idea: a website that lists all of the remaining good websites

well call it "yahoo! magazine"

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
zombo.com is still there, so the internet still has as much worth as it ever had

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Idea: fully analog goatse

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
Why settle for analog when you can have it all, holographic full immersion?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Me

naem
May 29, 2011

the internet isn’t a separate thing anymore, it’s a description of dozens of ways people communicate and share data using technology that is ever growing and evolving, as we and our societies grow and evolve.

and no it’s all terrible

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I think you need to stop confusing the internet with the world wide web. We need the internet in our modern daily lives - the world wide web, not so much.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Over the easter holidays I didn't know what time the grocery store opened so I went online and got the info and went to the store when it was open. It was extremely convenient

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Tarkus posted:

[...]

We’re not talking about the old internet. We’re talking about the new one where there are thousands of hopeful youtubers making long drawn out videos about the single most common problem for your washing machine burying your niche issue on page 15 and the toefungus reddit mod isn’t a hired influencer and learning programming was fun and not hackerrank exercises.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Bro have you ever heard of Gaia online

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It still exists?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I have no idea, but it was either that or habbo hotel

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I bet Icy Brian's RPG page is still up.

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Wendigee posted:

Remember when Google actually used to be an amazing search engine?

Has google gotten worse because the company has made the site shittier or because other companies have figured out how to manipulate the algorithms to get their trash to the front of a search?

I'm guessing a mix of both, but what's the ratio here.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Oh the things that will live on. lol @ future historians

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

hello.jpg

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

credburn posted:

Oh the things that will live on. lol @ future historians

I would be very surprised if even anything that's on the internet now exists in any form at all in 200 years.

They were wrong when they said anything you put online is there forever. Anything you put online is extremely temporary. A physical photograph of a picture on your computer screen is far far far more likely to survive long enough for an historian to look at it than the .jpg.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

ChatGPT does like 90% of what the good old internet used to do

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Actually if you really want to goatse future humans you should print it out, put it in a stone or copper/bronze box, and then bury it in a church cemetery.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If you want to learn or ask about anything that isn't a current event, you will get far better information by just asking ChatGPT than you would by spending hours poring over Google results

Colonel Cancer posted:

Had me at usually correct answer from chatgpt lmao

Depends what you're asking about. It's usually correct about many things, especially things that are well-documented, and if you know the right tricks you can sideload reference documents into it and have it provide answers derived directly from your documentation or from a published study or etc

It's becoming more accurate than humans in an increasing number of fields

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 22, 2023

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I would be very surprised if even anything that's on the internet now exists in any form at all in 200 years.

They were wrong when they said anything you put online is there forever. Anything you put online is extremely temporary. A physical photograph of a picture on your computer screen is far far far more likely to survive long enough for an historian to look at it than the .jpg.

For example:

https://youtu.be/i4EFkspO5p4

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

instagram was at its finest when people posted their lunch

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
huge, continuously interacting systems of unprecedented and ever increasing complexity that are increasingly tied to the material systems and conditions aligning to destroy civilization

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Ben Schumin is still out there doing his thing, god bless him

https://www.schuminweb.com

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Where else am I supposed to find animations of yoshi deepthroating princess peachs huge cock

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

it is soothing to know that for every new terrible thing the world throws at me, there is porn of it

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Zzulu posted:

Where else am I supposed to find animations of yoshi deepthroating princess peachs huge cock

What did people DO all day before Internet?

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Wendigee posted:

Remember when Google actually used to be an amazing search engine?

I was looking up a medical condition, hoping to get the bare facts on the condition from my country’s health service or other reputable source, and the first SIX results were sponsored results for paid treatment of the condition.

In answer to the OP: Wikipedia, the web versions of some high-quality legacy media, I guess some blogs and webcomics.

The internet is by and large poo poo though, and it’s going to be worse when (even more) of the content is AI-generated. We haven’t seen anything yet in terms of how bad it’s going to get.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

credburn posted:

What did people DO all day before Internet?

Painstakingly drawing Mario Brothers loving cell by cell in a notebook then flipping the pages really fast to animate them

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

My dick pics

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
Some cool web 1.0 holdouts

https://www.legendsofamerica.com/we-slang/

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

The Moon Monster posted:

I bet Icy Brian's RPG page is still up.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

This might qualify as well:
https://www.otherhand.org/

Ended up there quite a few years back reading up on the missing Germans in Death Valley and it was super interesting: https://www.otherhand.org/home-page/search-and-rescue/the-hunt-for-the-death-valley-germans/

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4