Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

https://www.heavensgate.com/

someone is still keeping this bad boy up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i didn't read anything in this thread apart from the OP, but i keep coming back to something awful

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://www.mysteryfleshpitnationalpark.com

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I hope Heaven's Gate was right.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

https://picard.ytmnd.com/

unfortunately they don't seem to autoplay anymore

Man, the picard song is one of today's most-viewed YTMNDs, with 70 clicks. The site is dead enough that a mention on our dead gay forums can rocket one up into the top 10.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Chief McHeath posted:

is the icy hot stuntaz still around

In archived form, also one of those dudes became a christian rapper

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I might have already posted it idk but the only thing left of worth on the internet is https://realultimatepower.net

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Netcode for fighting games has finally gotten pretty good, so the internet should stick around at least a little longer

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
classicreload.com
chess.com
jstor
torrent sites

that's it

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

kntfkr posted:

I hope Heaven's Gate was right.

Looking around at all this poo poo it seems more likely than not

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
it's me. i'm on the internet

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

dee eight posted:

it's me. i'm on the internet

Goldmine.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
http://gap.zip

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I find that Facebook is worth having because my mom uses it and we interact a lot it's nice because I live 2000 miles away now

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
BBSs and Fidonet are starting to make a comeback.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

classicreload.com
chess.com
jstor
torrent sites

that's it

JSTOR and torrents but not sci-hub?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i like reading all the newspapers without paying for them

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
What's a good newspaper?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Vim Fuego posted:

What's a good newspaper?

Not much. What's a good newspaper with you?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

they re all pretty bad, really

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

probably thats why theyre free

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
I can’t believe that long tweet threads somehow replaced blogs. We truly are in the worst timeline

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

It's neat to be able to instantly find a recipe for literally anything you might want to cook, I guess. Jump right to page 2 to avoid the blog ones.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
https://www.zombo.com

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i still enjoy youtube quite a bit. mostly because there is just a massive amount of video of live performances of music i like, new artists, old artists, artists from all over the world. its also good for learning how to do all kinds of stuff (especially in a music context) or to check out someone playing an instrument or piece of software or equipment i might be interested in

and yes of course like the rest of the internet, its also got a lot of garbage. but its pretty easy to ignore.

also bandcamp is still a great site imo.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
You can go down weird rabbit holes of independent music on Youtube and Bandcamp pretty easily.

edit: Earwicker you beat me by like a minute

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yeah i usually start my day going to bandcamp and checking out their editorial recommendations of the day as well new releases by bands i follow, or stuff that other people with similar taste bought. good way to find new stuff

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
i wonder how long reddit has left, what with the current “protests”

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Popoto posted:

i wonder how long reddit has left, what with the current “protests”

With a lot of platforms like this, there are two things that need to be present:

• The platform users need to be primed to move
• There is a platform that has a critical mass of features / users / notability to move to

reddit is rapidly approaching the first requirement, but I'm not sure there is a platform that is ready to absorb new users. If reddit kills apollo et al, then I'd would say that community is officially primed and it will then be a matter of 'when' not 'if'. The thing with reddit though is that the features here are not complicated to build. Something like Youtube has a community that is extremely primed to gently caress off, but the technical problems that Youtube is solving are very complex, so even with literally everyone pissed off at Youtube, it's technicals protect it's place in the market. reddit cannot hide behind that and their position is substantially more flimsy as a result.

All that said, I think that reddit is out of chances here and if they continue to do stupid poo poo over and over again, they will find themselves as relevant as Digg in 2 - 4 years time (depending on if a platform shows up to replace it). If I were an advisor on reddit, I would strongly suggest that they need to bend over backwards to make users happy because they have badly overreached on a platform that is relatively trivial to replace. Likewise, I'd say that there is a massive opportunity for someone to replace take it's place if they basically remake reddit 1.0 with a couple modern features.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 6, 2023

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
People enjoy being mad a lot more than they enjoy actually changing anything to stop being mad, so reddit probably has a long time left.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I've tried to enjoy using Reddit. I mean, there's a community for everything there but the site is just so hard to read and follow. Maybe it's just 'cause I'm an old.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tarkus posted:

I've tried to enjoy using Reddit. I mean, there's a community for everything there but the site is just so hard to read and follow. Maybe it's just 'cause I'm an old.

did you use old.reddit.com? Their 'modern' layout is complete dogshit.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

did you use old.reddit.com? Their 'modern' layout is complete dogshit.

No, maybe I'll try it, thanks! Also, why are people 'protesting' reddit?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tarkus posted:

No, maybe I'll try it, thanks! Also, why are people 'protesting' reddit?

They are increasing the cost of API hits by a couple orders of magnitude, effectively killing a ton of third party reddit mobile apps, most notably is Apollo. This in and of itself isn't necessarily a problem, but reddit's first party mobile app is absolute garbage and they refuse to address feedback or even fix bugs that have been present for years. This basically is killing reddit mobile for users who actually care.

reddit has long been on thin ice with me personally as well. old.reddit.com is the only thing that is keeping me there and they clearly want to kill it. I'm seriously tempted to try and stand up a new reddit alternative. I blocked out the work required a couple weekends ago and even though reddit is a relatively simple website, at the scale of reddit, the word 'relative' becomes super relevant. A complexity that is hard to understand here is how their ad services work. For something like Facebook, that is the majority of their dev effort. For reddit? Who knows. Might be relatively simple. Might be an effort supported by hundreds of people.

The reality though is that reddit could just exist as it is with very little active development and collect money with a staff of a couple tens of people. The company is poorly run and you could do the exact same thing with fraction of their costs. spez (their CEO) is either dumb as hell, or just doesn't give a poo poo. I'd guess it's the latter.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 6, 2023

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Discord could easily become reddit’s replacement if there was an easy way to increase visibility of the discords and their topics.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Popoto posted:

Discord could easily become reddit’s replacement if there was an easy way to increase visibility of the discords and their topics.

Yeah, cause search engines routinely show me links to Discord content…

I don’t mind it for a lot of things, but Discord scares the hell out of me for how closed off all of the content is to anyone not invited or who doesn’t download their lovely app

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

namlosh posted:

Yeah, cause search engines routinely show me links to Discord content…

I don’t mind it for a lot of things, but Discord scares the hell out of me for how closed off all of the content is to anyone not invited or who doesn’t download their lovely app

that's exactly what I mean: if discord somehow became searchable and accessible from outside its ecosystem it would be bonkers amazing for content (I know it -WON'T-, just spitballing dumb wishes here). I agree with you that if Discord overall becomes the main place to chat online after the fall of Twitter and FB, we're in for a dark age of information, circling us back to the thread title.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

SA megathreads surviving to be one of the last remaining accessible sources of information on the internet is very funny, to me

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

im just glad to be here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

im just glad to be here

me too Sam, me too.