Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Tarkus posted:

I've tried to enjoy using Reddit. I mean, there's a community for everything there but the site is just so hard to read and follow. Maybe it's just 'cause I'm an old.

in theory there's a community for everything on Reddit and millions of people covering all kinds of backgrounds/areas of expertise/etc but in practice it's a totally homogenous mass of the same dogshit stupid nerds posting Marvel movie quotes and "I see what you did there" 500 times in a row anywhere you go. I don't think there's a technical fix for this

Popoto posted:

that's exactly what I mean: if discord somehow became searchable and accessible from outside its ecosystem it would be bonkers amazing for content (I know it -WON'T-, just spitballing dumb wishes here). I agree with you that if Discord overall becomes the main place to chat online after the fall of Twitter and FB, we're in for a dark age of information, circling us back to the thread title.

searchability isn't remotely the only problem here, this is like saying text messages could be the next big knowledge base if they turned up in google searches

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Reddit has multi-threaded convos and has thus never, ever, ever been good. At their best they function like a ever-so-slightly less obnoxious Quora without a login.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

With a lot of platforms like this, there are two things that need to be present:

• The platform users need to be primed to move
• There is a platform that has a critical mass of features / users / notability to move to

reddit is rapidly approaching the first requirement, but I'm not sure there is a platform that is ready to absorb new users.

this is exactly the same problem with twitter. obviously its gone way downhill and almost everyone there is well aware and ready to bail, and many have already. but at the same time, there's no consistent replacement and all of the major ones that have come up seem to have a lot of similar problems

olives black posted:

Reddit has multi-threaded convos and has thus never, ever, ever been good. At their best they function like a ever-so-slightly less obnoxious Quora without a login.

until 10 years ago or so many forums simply allowed the user to choose which view they preferred, which makes the most sense imo. i dont know why it became hardcoded on big sites like sa and reddit.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 7, 2023

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Popoto posted:

Discord could easily become reddit’s replacement if there was an easy way to increase visibility of the discords and their topics.

Discord would need real forums (or something forums-like) that exist on a real website in a way that is searchable and discoverable by both machines and humans. They *could* do this and everyone already has an account, but I don't know if they are interested in that.

Discord is actually pretty good on average, but it's features outside of it's core are half baked and it's poor desktop app do not support them well.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
What if instead of a subreddit you just hosted a website for your community?

Oh wait. SEO firms would eat you alive.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

ikanreed posted:

What if instead of a subreddit you just hosted a website for your community?

Oh wait. SEO firms would eat you alive.

The beauty of reddit is that you can do that there with almost no effort. Plus, everyone already has accounts to post, reducing friction by a shitload. Plus, you can implicit discovery. reddit's success was not an accident - they had a great idea. They've just bungled it so badly because number gotta go up I guess.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Yeah but the things that were good on the internet involved effort. Every dumb final fantasy fan site had a million times more charm than the most dedicated subreddit.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

It's actually hosed up that Reddit became a more useful search engine than Google.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

The beauty of reddit is that you can do that there with almost no effort. Plus, everyone already has accounts to post, reducing friction by a shitload. Plus, you can implicit discovery. reddit's success was not an accident - they had a great idea.

its not really a different idea from usenet, or the thousands of threaded webforums that came after. just a different delivery system.

i think also part of the reason it became so popular is that it has far less of a barrier to account creation than most online communities. in the late 00's a lot of more commercial forums got all bogged down in trying to tie user accounts to "real identities" on the earlier iterations of facebook etc. whereas reddit did the opposite, you don't even need an email address, just pick a username and password and you're good to go, with no limits on the number of accounts a person can have or anything

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

These days to sign up for reddit you don't even need to pick a username or a password, if you access it on a mobile device sometimes it will just tell you that they went ahead and created an account for you and all you have to do is tap a button to log into it

e: But they're apparently about to go public so lol and RIP

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

SA megathreads surviving to be one of the last remaining accessible sources of information on the internet is very funny, to me

I unironically believe that the contents of this forum will be preserved among the longest lasting most important data left by the human race long past we've gone extinct. To those who came after us, hello!

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
To future beings deciphering these messages, goatse

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

"It seems their downfall can be traced back to this one message: 'watch bush start a loving war'"

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

All the UAPs are recon drones sent in response to our All Your Base declarations

naem
May 29, 2011

Sentient Data posted:

I unironically believe that the contents of this forum will be preserved among the longest lasting most important data left by the human race long past we've gone extinct. To those who came after us, hello!

This place is a message... and part of a system of messages... pay attention to it!

Sending this message was important to us. We considered ourselves to be a powerful culture.

This place is not a place of honor... no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here... nothing valued is here.

What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.

The danger is in a particular location... it increases towards a center... the center of danger is here... of a particular size and shape, and below us.

The danger is still present, in your time, as it was in ours.

The danger is to the body, and it can kill.

The form of the danger is an emanation of energy.

The danger is unleashed only if you substantially disturb this place physically. This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
:lmao:

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

cameron’s world is the only website you need

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

ikanreed posted:

Every dumb final fantasy fan site had a million times more charm than the most dedicated subreddit.

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

i like the forums because all the big fun avatars (^like vim's) allow me to assign a mental picture of them connected to their posting persona and then a lot of the time i imagine the avatars reading the post beside it out loud in appropriate little voices and oh what fun it is, let's see reddit create that kind of magical loving enchantment i don't think

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.
Sometimes if I'm looking for the "old internet" feel I use https://search.marginalia.nu, which is a search engine some guy made for a laugh. The important part is that it ranks sites as "the less Javascript, the better".

In the past I've found all sorts of random stuff, though a lot of it is on neocities. It includes active webrings and even someone's active, old fashioned homepage, including a "blog" where they add each post by just editing the HTML and there's a guestbook you can sign.

It also made me want to try making my own search engine, but I haven't actually jumped into that bottomless pit yet.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Gravid Topiary posted:

i like the forums because all the big fun avatars (^like vim's) allow me to assign a mental picture of them connected to their posting persona and then a lot of the time i imagine the avatars reading the post beside it out loud in appropriate little voices and oh what fun it is, let's see reddit create that kind of magical loving enchantment i don't think

Posters are their avatars. This is canon.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://archives.design/

This seemed very old internet, just a bunch of cool effort someone put into something

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

sebmojo posted:

https://archives.design/

This seemed very old internet, just a bunch of cool effort someone put into something

this rules, thanks

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

skullmund, a fun experiment of a gbs offsite eventually got taken over by a weird frisian who spent years making it into this

https://skullmund.com/index.php

i'm not sure it's worth anything but as a kind of cathedral of web 1 aesthetics it's pretty cool

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

skullmund, a fun experiment of a gbs offsite eventually got taken over by a weird frisian who spent years making it into this

https://skullmund.com/index.php

i'm not sure it's worth anything but as a kind of cathedral of web 1 aesthetics it's pretty cool

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

oh yeah don't go there if you don't like flashing poo poo it could probably kill people

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
That's some loving garbage lol

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Wee posted:

Wikipedia
Archive.org
Trove
Archive of the Unexplained

The Trove? I thought they shut that site down. I've been suffering through Telegram channels to replace it.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Here's something that's left of worth on the internet

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Charles Ford posted:

Sometimes if I'm looking for the "old internet" feel I use https://search.marginalia.nu, which is a search engine some guy made for a laugh. The important part is that it ranks sites as "the less Javascript, the better".

In the past I've found all sorts of random stuff, though a lot of it is on neocities. It includes active webrings and even someone's active, old fashioned homepage, including a "blog" where they add each post by just editing the HTML and there's a guestbook you can sign.

It also made me want to try making my own search engine, but I haven't actually jumped into that bottomless pit yet.

I found out about this search engine, then couldn't remember what it was called when I wanted it again. Thank you. The results are unquestionably better than google.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Gravid Topiary posted:

Yeah

I still remember this small forum that I posted on in the 2000s. It only had a few dozen members and was only active for 3 years. But to this day I still remember their screennames and associated avatars, along with their individual personalities, hobbies, game preferences, nationality, job or life situation, in-jokes and their stories. I remember which one had the Ford Taurus that exploded and which one got fired from Blockbuster. I remember excitedly opening my laptop at conventions and various travel destinations just to blog to an audience of 6-10 people about my adventures.

Yet after 10 years of posting on reddit every week I can't name a single other user. Like most modern social media sites and apps, it maximizes engagement by stripping away the humanity and backstory from every individual to promote their hottest takes. Everything else is just fluff, what they actually want to solicit (and then promote to the widest audience) is a single comment that will get the most replies and votes.

Which is the same way that 4chan worked, and it was known as the "antisocial network" because no one had identities, the only reward was baiting replies from people

je1 healthcare fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 29, 2023

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
The stupid newbie has a point

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i always liked SA because you could get to know most of the posters and develop solid posting grudges

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

i always liked SA because you could get to know most of the posters and develop solid posting grudges

I get to fight with my posting enemies

Wanna be my posting enemy so we can argue for 10 years straight

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

nah I calmed down with age but thank you

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Is a new popular well made search engine the only thing that could bring back the internet from the brink? What would be the steps to follow to reduce the decay?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Popoto posted:

Is a new popular well made search engine the only thing that could bring back the internet from the brink? What would be the steps to follow to reduce the decay?

well if all the important brands and companies went ahead and sent their payola money ahead of time, in theory, that could speed development

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
they should send all of that to me, specifically. i shall fix the internet for the ridiculously low price of 10M$

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Popoto posted:

you might want to stop trying to solve social problems with technology, op. that never ends well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Popoto posted:

I've been going back to the old internet. This is how I ended up on Something Awful. We won't save the rest of it and even back in like say 1998 or 2005 when most of us were getting something we're somehow not getting now: Most of us were not super into the most mainstream parts of the internet. There were HUGE forums that we barely remember (compuserve web forums were in use until like 2015 or something!) that were propped up by the big players of the day, made easily accessible to people who didn't know what they were doing, some of them were advertised on radio or TV. We never went there! I used to have a very busy forum I went on just because I could read the drama over my lovely flip phone browser hundreds of thousands of idiots and I don't even remember the name, maybe I didn't even know its' name but point was it wasn't normally the sort of place I'd waste my time except it was the first forum I found on my phone browser.

Most people did not use IRC, SomethingAwful wasn't that popular in the grand scheme of things. It wasn't until pretty recently that you had noobs and internet people together on the same website both using it as their daily go to and for the most part we really don't need to.

It's not popular but I learned about search.marginalia.nu here and it's actually really good at finding stuff that feels like the old internet. Sometimes I punch in search terms just to explore the weird results and it's great.

I suspect this is just google with a site: filter but it's pretty entertaining for searching weird neocities pages: https://neosearch.neocities.org/

Internet Old One fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 1, 2023