Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Worth in big sarcastic quotes in the title. But yeah, is the entire searchable internet just poo poo now? All you can find anymore is twitter posts, reddit posts, facebook posts and perhaps sometimes a cheeky news site.

There isn’t poo poo left. Why is nothing filling that void? Are hosting costs so prohibitive? Where’s the competition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

BigBadSteve posted:

Try googling searchstring -inurl:reddit -inurl:twitter -inurl:facebook

You can add other social media/clickbait/blog/"cheeky news"/just plain lovely websites to the above searchstring as you please.

(NB Not all search engines have the '-' operator, e,g. DuckDuckGo doesn't... and doesn't warn you about it.)

didn't google remove all ability and functions for search operators? I remember them not working recently... but I haven't tried these specific ones you're suggesting, so maybe it's just another bunch.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Lampsacus posted:

Wikipedia
But I have a feeling more of the good internet is sinking from www view because it's all private discords now. Discords and people talking to openai chat.

The silo-iffication of the internet is IMO a real problem for posterity.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
SA will be the last website online, when the last man in the last server warehouse goes to turn off the last of the internet

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
i wonder how long reddit has left, what with the current “protests”

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Discord could easily become reddit’s replacement if there was an easy way to increase visibility of the discords and their topics.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

namlosh posted:

Yeah, cause search engines routinely show me links to Discord content…

I don’t mind it for a lot of things, but Discord scares the hell out of me for how closed off all of the content is to anyone not invited or who doesn’t download their lovely app

that's exactly what I mean: if discord somehow became searchable and accessible from outside its ecosystem it would be bonkers amazing for content (I know it -WON'T-, just spitballing dumb wishes here). I agree with you that if Discord overall becomes the main place to chat online after the fall of Twitter and FB, we're in for a dark age of information, circling us back to the thread title.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

im just glad to be here

me too Sam, me too.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
:lmao:

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Is a new popular well made search engine the only thing that could bring back the internet from the brink? What would be the steps to follow to reduce the decay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
they should send all of that to me, specifically. i shall fix the internet for the ridiculously low price of 10M$