Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

"As the last summer day fades, all is illuminated."

Blue Reflection is a a separate venture from Gust's more well-known Atelier franchise, and leans harder into the story focused JRPG side than those. It does still retain a crafting system and a strong slice of life presence, but tries to carve out it's own thing.

Blue Reflection - 2017
Blue Reflection Ray (Anime) - 2021
Blue Reflection Tie/Second Light - 2021 <- We are here
Blue Reflection Sun (Mobile)- In Development

Blue Reflection: Second Light follows the adventures of Ao Hoshizaki, a girl with nothing special going on in her life. That is, until she finds herself lost in an abandoned school with her only other company being a few other girls who have lost their memories entirely. They try and make the best of life as they chip away at the understanding the mystery they've fallen into, traveling through surreal landscapes both familiar and alien while they fight with their emotions.

I could tell you more, but honestly, I don't want to spoil anything. It's a well paced story with a great sense of developing mystery and excellent characters. We've got action, we've got slice of life, and it's even more gay than Atelier.

Stick around and give this a shot. It's honestly an excellent time.

Do I need to know anything about the first game?

Nope! This game may be a sequel, but it for the most part does a great job at making itself accessible to a newcomer. Some people. (me included,) would even suggest this as your entry point to Blue Reflection in the first place. I'll be following this with an LP of the first game anyways (and potentially of Ray), so you'll get to see it regardless. There's a number of small callbacks you won't notice, but it just makes revisiting this game more fun.

Now, it does definitely include content from both the all the other current Blue Reflection media, and at times the context helps. Where deemed absolutely necessary, I may provide relevant info or provide some context under spoiler bars but this will be rare.

Small, mostly inconsequential details from BR1 and Ray will get added in extra dialogue (more on that in a bit) but that's all.

odd, why do you only lp sequels

that's a good question, yeah

it's also *another* game with amnesia :v:

odd, why do you only lp the anime games

that is untrue

...but it does look that way, i'll give you that

How's this LP going to go?

Formatting-wise, this will be primarily screenshot, but I will be providing video for most voiced cutscenes (although there's only JP voiceover, the scenes are often well done), some combat, and all bosses. The gameplay itself will be aiming for as close to 100% as I possibly can, but I can't guarantee I'll see every tiny bit of dialogue or unlabeled mini-event. I'll also be turning the difficulty up to Hard on a normal new game file to better show off the combat (maybe switching in and out the highest difficulty, Deathwish, where deemed possible.)

The flow of the LP itself will run strongly on following the narrative, and later on may be split into narratively appropriate days as chapters and updates get longer. To go with this at times I will add in small amounts of my own written dialogue, but only for the means of making bits flow to one another better or adding small amounts of context from either BR1 or Ray- not to overwrite or add onto what story is present. As result, expect a more serious approach to commentary than I've done before, with most of my input focused at the end of each update. The game's rather good at speaking for itself.

Noting again that the game is only voiced in Japanese, there's a number of lines that don't have localization that'll I'll be going out of my way to try and translate. I also have full scripts for English and Japanese (also Chinese) so I can point out any interesting localization changes that I pick up on. Although, as a disclaimer, I'm far from an expert in the language, so anything I'm not confident I can translate, I just won't. That said, expect just a rough idea of the line.

Voting?

If you've been around for any of my previous work, you should know that I'm a big fan of reader participation. For me, it's what makes an LP a Let's Play. I gotta have that voting, even if it is an exercise in shooting myself in the foot at times.

Second Light does make it a bit difficult to properly provide voting opportunities given it's design. Even though I'm going to try and show off as close to 100% as I can, I'll still let you influence which characters we do prioritize hanging out with in events where we have a choice. This influences how many events with the other girls we'll be able to see and does have mechanical implications, but we'll get to that when it becomes relevant.

The votes will be comparatively spread out, usually focused at the end of chapters.

Thread rules?

I've not really had any problems in any of my threads, but know that spoilers for either this or BR1 are entirely *off-limits*. I'd prefer you not spoil anything about Ray or Sun, but use black bars at the very least if you have to. If you do use spoiler bars for something, it'd be kind if you labeled that it's specifically a Ray or Sun spoiler.

Second Light does a great job of providing questions for the player to ask in it's continuing mystery, so discussion and speculation is welcome! Just, if you know the answer to something please don't go confirming others' guesses.

Also, follow the usual forum rules, don't be weird, etc.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LP Format Style Guide:

(// This is my commentary. I'll try to not write too much. //)

CHARNAME: (dryly.) This is normal dialogue, with an indication of it's VO delivery.

CHARNAME: This is normal dialogue but is delivered with emphasis at a certain point and isn't already indicated.

CHARNAME: Dialogue added by me.

CHARNAME: "This is a voice line roughly translated into English."

(*Scene directions and general description.*)

*Notable sounds or onomatopoeia.*

Phone Chats and Logbook Entries posted:

And the text or dialogue follows.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Update Schedule: Roughly weekly, sometime on Saturday - Monday)

Journal Entry 01: Sunset Sky
Journal Entry 02: Summer Break
Journal Entry 03: The Faraway
Journal Entry 04: Idle Idols
Journal Entry 05: Recovering ReSources
Journal Entry 06: Our Inner Strength
Journal Entry 07: A Journey to Remember

Journal Entry 08: Taking Note
Journal Entry 09: The Secret Hideout
Journal Entry 10: Carrying Your Burdens Alone
Journal Entry 11: Heartscape
Journal Entry 12: Academic Exploration
Journal Entry 13: Hiding No Longer

Journal Entry 14: Meeting an Old Friend
Journal Entry 15: Sweetening A Bitter Situation
Journal Entry 16: Preparations and Pastimes
Journal Entry 17: Linear Departure
Journal Entry 17.5: Linear Departure
Journal Entry 18: Transit Delays
Journal Entry 19: Transferring Lines

(Versions of dates with the alternate choices are stored here.)

Kokoro Date 1: Trend Follower

Rena Date 1: The Heart Of Science

Yuki Date 1: With All You've Got

Shiho Date 1: Innocent Reaction

(Here's some extras that didn't make it into a main update for whatever reason.)

--Extras Entry 01: Combat Overview - Ao, Kokoro, Rena
--Extras Entry 02: Combat Overview - Shiho & Support Orders

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Reserving this, just in case!

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Reserving this one too.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Journal Entry 01: Sunset Sky

// On PS4, Second Light has an expanded version of the box art set as the splash screen. Although answers as to what this is even showing will take some time to arrive. //

// Gust fans may already recognize this artstyle as Mel Kishida's, the character designer for the Arland Atelier games (Rorona, Totori, Meruru, and Lulua). He's part of the original concept team for Blue Reflection itself and is the artist for both current games. //

// Up next is the Koei Tecmo splash screen- they acquired Gust in 2011 and have held on since. //

// And of course, here's Gust themselves. //

// And so our first opening image is... a shot of somebody's shoes as they fidget in place a bit. Every handful of seconds or so it changes perspective as the title theme plays. Speaking of...//

MUSIC: TIE

// Music links will be all over the LP, and I recommend you give them a listen. Blue Reflection in general doesn't slack on it's soundtrack and they set the perfect mood. Any commentary I have to say on the tracks will usually be relegated to the descriptions of the videos. //

// From here we can see up at the nearly setting sun on a lightly cloudy day, a view fractured by stop lights and tree branches. //

// Following that, some girl looking up from her hands at the sky, framed by the city horizon. //

// ...And then back down to her idly scrolling through her smartphone. //

// ...And then a view of a curved street, mostly obscured by more traffic signaling, still in the same small city residential area.

I'm going out of my way to show this as the game's title screen changes quite frequently, and this is the only time you can see this outside of waiting a loooong time. //

// From there, we see the outside of some multi-floor school with benches spread between trees trapped in planters. Leaves fall gently to the grass, drifting on a light breeze.//

// And back to the girl, we get a side view shot that shows us a bit more of this residential district. Down beside her is a handbag, and in the blurry distance, a street cordoned off for construction. Dimly, some green fireflies can be seen beginning to dance in the failing light of sunset. //

// And back to the shoes we are. It's worth noting you have to see the title screen cycle multiple times to even see all of these. Only unique 4 scenes can show, excluding the opening shoes.

Was any of it relevant? Well, if anything it goes to show the level of effort I'm putting in here, but one or two things about it may stand out eventually.

From this point onwards, my commentary will be more sporadic in favor of letting the game shine. And if you want to see it in motion, videos are provided per update, with timestamped links to each scene/battle shown. //

VIDEO: Title Screen

VIDEO: Something Special

// (A content warning for very brief glitchy imagery on just this one, if you're sensitive to that.) //

// Now then, no more delay. A new game it is. //

(*Against a pure black void, a phone falls.*)

(*Everything begins to slow to a halt just before it connects with the cracked asphalt.*)

*Hollow clack*

MUSIC: Piercing Blue

(*And so it clatters to rest in a convenience store parking space, shaded from the evening sun.*)

(*A lone girl in a violet skirt walks on...*)

(*Past the evening sun...*)

(*Past the swingsets of a playground...*)

(*Down empty streets...*)

(*And over the crosswalks...*)

UNKNOWN GIRL: Ever since I can remember, I wanted to be somebody. Somebody special.

(*She looks down and sighs.*)

(*Then turns to look at the setting sun, shielding her eyes from it's harsh glare.*)

UNKNOWN GIRL: If I was, maybe this boring life I lead would transform itself into a whole different world.

(*She moves to continue on her route, but hesitates...*)

(*Checking her skirt pocket, she sighs.*)

(*And off she goes in hurry, back the way she came..*)

UNKNOWN GIRL: But our summer vacation together—

(*She stops to look, just outside the parking lot where her phone lies.*)

(*Her eyes light up when she sees the glint of the phone, and lets out another silent sigh.*)

(*She reaches--*)

(*--- down for it, before--*)

UNKNOWN GIRL: That was something special.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 30, 2023

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Im a simple girl, I hear gay, I watch.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Pyroi posted:

:same:

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

This is the first thing I thought of when I saw this.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Pyroi posted:

It'll be some time before it really starts up in full force, but I promise you that we have a lot of it incoming.

LJN92 posted:

This is the first thing I thought of when I saw this.

The pose is similar, I'll give you that, but I think the context is a bit different. Still, I doubt Biden owns a minidress with wings.

I'll probably put the next update out sometime on Monday- definitely can't just leave you on this mysterious note for a whole week.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Odd Wilson posted:

It'll be some time before it really starts up in full force, but I promise you that we have a lot of it incoming.

You saying the yuri handholding simulator with a decent jRPG attached has a lot of gay in it?
Nah, that's clearly crazy talk.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Journal Entry 02: Summer Break

VIDEO: Waking Up

UNKNOWN: Ao...

(*A light, airy voice calls out from white nothingness.*)

UNKNOWN: Ao. You should wake up soon.

(*Our view fades in as she lazily opens her eyes.*)

(*She looks up at the voice, confused.*)

UNKNOWN: Just how long are you planning to sleep?

AO: (sleepily) Mm... Who are you...?

(*Taking up the whole of our view is a girl with pigtails.*)

(*The new girl's eyes widen in shock.*)

KOKORO: Still half-asleep, huh? It's me, Kokoro. Kokoro Utsubo.

(*Ao looks away, trying to remember...*)

AO: Kokoro... Right, of course.

(*As she stands up, the music begins.*)

MUSIC: Let's Girl Talk!

KOKORO: I thought something had happened to you. I kept messaging you on FreeSpace, but you never replied.

AO: My bad.

(*She reaches for her neck in a show embarassed fidgeting.*)

UNKNOWN: (annoyed) Seriously. Don't you know how worried she was?

(*Ao gives a knowing smile, looking towards the tall girl with curly hair who just walked in...*)

AO: Sorry, Rena...

(*Rena replies with a scowl, crossed arms, and a silent sigh.*)

RENA: Everything's been a mess since you showed up, Hoshizaki.

KOKORO: I think it's been fun. Things have been nice and lively.

AO: (proudly) Hear that?! I make this place NICE AND LIVELY!

RENA: (having none of it) Stop.

AO: Yes, ma'am.

(*Ao looks to the floor in defeat, as Kokoro smiles to herself.*)

KOKORO: Well, shall we go soon? We're exploring the Faraway again today, right?

AO: You know it. Let's go!

*As the others leave, Ao gives herself one last stretch to wake up...*

(*...And smiles to face the day ahead of her.*)

AO: Another great day to do some exploring!

// We are given control for the first time, but as it doesn't last long we'll take in our surroundings later. We are also bombarded with messages informing us of content added in updates/DLC, but nothing is gained from transcribing that.

Do note that Hoshizaki is just Ao's last name. Rena just refers to her and everyone by only last names- more on why later. //

AO: (...I shouldn't keep them waiting any longer.)

(*We exit out into the hallway of a high school. Bright noon sunlight pours through the windows. Ao's loafers tap against the hard flooring the whole way.*)

(*And into that sunlight she goes...*)

VIDEO: A Strange New Beginning

(*Ao exits looking up at the sun.*)

AO: (exasperated) So hot...

KOKORO: (cheerily) Perfect weather for laundry.

RENA: Which reminds me, did you hang up the laundry like I asked?

AO: 'Course. I made sure to do that before my nap.

RENA: Good.

RENA: We're the only ones here, so if even one person slacks off it affects all of us.

AO: (dismissively) I know, I know.

(*Kokoro yet again can't hold back smiling at the two.*)

KOKORO: That's good, though. It should dry quick in weather like this.

AO: Yeah.

(*The music goes silent, leaving only the sound of cicadas.*)

AO: (to herself) It's the same no matter how many times I wake up...

AO: I guess this is all real...

MUSIC: Bottled Message in the Sky

AO: (I remember I was going to summer classes... Everything was normal until I entered the classroom.)

*A door opens.*

(*Now in a sepia-toned flashback, Ao stares blankly at the floor--*)

(*--as if shaken awake, she looks up with wide eyes.*)

(*She begins to look around, confused.*)

(*A chalkboard covered in doodles, proudly proclaiming summer vacation...*)

(*A set of cupboards for school supplies...*)

(*And an already familiar face idly writing away in a notebook.*)

(*Shocked, she begins to approach the new face.*)

AO: (Then I met someone new...)

(*It takes all but a moment for Kokoro to notice her as well.*)

KOKORO: You surprised me! I didn't think anyone would come here...

KOKORO: I don't believe this! I have to introduce you to the others!

AO: Huh?

(*Kokoro gets up and nearly runs to her.*)

KOKORO: Hey.

AO: Wait, wh—

(*Kokoro takes her by the hand and is met with no resistance. The view centers itself to a ring on Ao's index finger.*)

KOKORO: Come with me!

(*From here, we cut to them in the hallway still hand in hand, Ao lagging behind as she looks around in confusion...*)

(*And from there, to the entrance to the courtyard...*)

AO: (starting to panic) H-hang on, where are we—

(*She trails off, eyes widening as she takes in the view.*)

AO: Wh-what is this...?

(*A determined look strikes across her face as she walks forward...*)

(*As we fade back into the present.*)

(*The view arcs over to see...*)

(*A derelict, traditional building surrounded by trees and stone monuments upon a horizon of endless blue. The path from the door leads directly to it upon a strange railway. *)

AO: (As soon as I left the classroom, I found myself in this world.)

(*She slowly looks up at the pristine blue sky yet again...*)

KOKORO: Ao?

(*Kokoro looks to her with mild worry, and Rena does the same from further ahead with impatience instead.*)

AO: (shaking her head) Oh, sorry. It's nothing. Come on, let's go.

AO: (A school with nobody in it.)

(*A view of the deserted hallway...*)

AO: (Scenery that can't possibly be real.)

(*An entrance gate looking out onto an endless sea, the ground torn away.*)

AO: (Surrounded by water that extends as far as the eye can see... There's no escape from this school.)

(*A view of a dock, and the rocks beneath the strangely shallow waters...*)

AO: (I've already been living here with these girls for three days.)

(*We cut back to the three walking up the railroad track to the building in the distance.*)

AO: (And I still haven't found a way home.)

(*And we end with a view of the sun casting rays between the sparse foliage of the trees.*)

// And so we're introduced to our first three characters. The friendly but quiet Kokoro, the tired and terse Rena, and Ao the upbeat but introspective.

Alongside that is our first view of Second Light's in medias res approach to storytelling, at least for the first chapter or so. While I don't think it hits a complete 100%, I do enjoy how it wastes no time in throwing interesting hooks the player's way. I could have rearranged the story to be told sequentially, but I think the shock and perhaps disorientation works at the end of the day. //

// As to why Rena only uses last names, we have to talk about Japanese honorifics. One of the nuances often unavoidably lost to a degree in localization is that of Japanese honorifics and what they impply- our starting three are no exception to this. It's not a huge deal in this case, but it does add a little characterization. Here's a simplified explanation:

Rena -> Everyone: family name + "-san" ("Mr./Ms.", generically polite and formal, fine in workplace settings, but doesn't indicate any kind of relationship)

Kokoro -> Everyone: first name + "-chan" ("little", informal and rather friendly, cutesy way to address friends- typically other girls or kids)

Ao -> Kokoro: first name, no honorific (extremely informal, typically reserved for close friends or strong romantic relationships but sometimes used in very casual friendships )
Ao -> Rena: first name + "-san" (normal and polite, but friendlier than last name usage)

There's more to the specifics on honorifics, but this is enough to show what's up. Rena's insistence on last names might come across a harsher than it is depending where you are in the world, but there's an impersonal nature to it regardless that perhaps does match up. //

// These will get longer soon, but I'm working with the pacing. The intro is very heavy on cutscenes, something that will eventually spread itself out more later. But it's also a JRPG, so expect tons of cutscenes anyways. We will see actual gameplay next update. //

-------------------------

Waking Up In A Dream posted:

I woke up in an unfamiliar place with people I've never met. Though I still felt like I was dreaming, I got up ready to face a new day.

// Among other things, I'll be posting the relevant story summary pieces at the end of each update. There's a lot of these, often much longer than this and they're a good look at Ao's thoughts. They're also just useful if you don't remember what you were doing last. //

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 30, 2023

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Your videos have been set to Private.

All this mystery, and the thing that stuck out to me the most is how they're doing laundry when they're stuck in a school. Do Japanese schools have laundry facilities? Or maybe they have school dorms on hand too? Or they washing their clothes the old fashioned way?

LJN92 fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 25, 2023

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

LJN92 posted:

Your videos have been set to Private.

All this mystery, and the thing that stuck out to me the most is how they're doing laundry when they're stuck in a school. Do Japanese schools have laundry facilities? Or maybe they have school dorms on hand too? Or they washing their clothes the old fashioned way?

Videos are fixed, my apologies. It was actually me needing to update the links after re-uploading the video with higher volume (my capture card records quite quietly). The correct video was set to public, just the links were pointing to the old one.

As for laundry facilities, a cursory search says that some in the cities do. I imagine it's attached to the Phys Ed facilities particularly in larger schools, as while Japanese schools all use a very similar design (a byproduct of post-WW2 modernization), the external facilities is usually where they differ. Any boarding school is likely to have them in the dorms too, yeah.

In the case of our stranded building of education I will go ahead and say I'm lead to believe they're washing it the old-fashioned way. I don't recall a washing machine, but I could be wrong (or feigning ignorance for sake of spoilers :ssh:)

You can actually see some of the laundry in the classroom off to the right in these screenshots. Whether it's drying in the breeze from the open window, or it's already dry and it's just hanging there, I do not know. Nevertheless, Ao's napping spot is not far away.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 25, 2023

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Journal Entry 03: The Faraway

*The sound of birdsong can be heard from above, all around.*

VIDEO: The Faraway

MUSIC: Transparent Shelter

(*The view fades in on the three walking forward, although extremely blurry.*)

(*As it begins to clear, we can see them exiting an overgrown tunnel...*)

AO: (We call this the Faraway.)

(*Our view returns in high grass, some colored yellow but most of it is an unnaturally bright red. We seem to be in some small town area, tall pine trees shading it from the late-morning sun.*)

AO: (It suddenly appeared yesterday, and connects to somewhere completely different than this waterlocked world. Hence, the Faraway.)

AO: (It's an even stranger place than the school, if you can believe that.)

(*We move to see a massive fallen tree upon the roof of a house... with a red stoplight bent at a right angle under it?*)

AO: (But it may be the key to finding our way back to my world.)

(*As the view lowers, we can see the country home is overgrown in kudzu, and in the distance many more signs either oversized or bent in odd ways. Many of these seem to prohibit actions, or warn of... bears?*)

MUSIC: Our Days

AO: Okay, here we go! Let's figure out what exactly this place is.

(*She gives an excited arm pump.*)

RENA: (sternly) Wait. We're just here to gather food today.

AO: Whaaat? Why?

RENA: We don't have much time because someone decided to take a nap.

AO: (in feigned desperation) Kokoro! Rena's bullying me!

(*Kokoro gently pats Ao's head while the latter looks on with the smuggest grin imaginable.*)

KOKORO: Ohh, there, there. She can be scary, can't she? But today we're going to have to just gather food and head home, okay?

AO: (happily) Okay.

// :allears: //

RENA: (exasperated) Oh, please...

(*The other two eventually turn around to face the way ahead.*)

AO: So, anything we want in particular today?

KOKORO: (thinking aloud) Those eggs yesterday were delicious. I wonder if we can find any more of them?

AO: (I'll keep an eye out for any while we pick up the usual stuff.)

(*To the right of the entrance seems to be abandoned fences and stacked lumber, and up above it, terraced cobblestone walls.*)

(*To the distant left is a house, beyond more pine trees and oversized signage. *)

(*The tunnel that the girls came through is overgrown with oddly bent trees, and the path to the distant exit blocked by haphazardly placed signs. Green fireflies drift down all around.*)

// Just ahead, at the foot of one of the oversized signs, we find a strange sparkling sphere. This is a gathering point- we are playing a Gust game after all. //

AO: Found some of those cabbages!

AO: Hm... Sour things usually aren't very good for you. I'm not actually a big fan of them anyways...

RENA: You've still got a child's palate...

// Small dialogues will frequently play out on gathering, but there's also not a very large pool to pick from. For that reason, I'll try to space them out. //

*Just around that pole is a large container with some bright red barrels next to it. They notably say "WANDERER" in English.*

(*Back to the road, the path forks off with one way towards the house, the other to what looks like more buildings.*)

(*In the center are these religious stone statues depicting a figures in robes. They and standing stones that surround them are spread all about, usually clustered together.*)

(*There's also this dilapidated phone booth nearby, although its glass has turned a fully opaque cloudy grey.*)

AO: (This is the barricade we made so that we don't go too far and get lost.)

(*The path towards the other buildings is intentionally blocked off in a mix of fences, sheet metal, a ruined car, and various scrap.*)

// And so we keep gathering... //

(*Further up the road, lies a rural house so abandoned there's grass growing on the roof..*)

(*The girls look it over.*)

AO: I guess there really isn't anyone living here.

KOKORO: (sadly) Yeah, it didn't look like there was anyone here yesterday either.

RENA: Who would live in such a dangerous place, anyway?

AO: Should we look inside?

RENA: Let's not... We don't want to stir up any trouble.

AO: Didn't know you were such a scaredy cat.

RENA: What? I'm not scared...

(*She looks away, crossing her arms...*)

// Certain areas will trigger short, unvoiced cutscenes like these. We'll be looking to get all of them, and they're VERY missable. They aren't voiced, however, so they won't be included in the videos. //

AO: Oh, these!

AO: Sweets! I really shouldn't, but they just taste so good!

RENA: There's a scale in the nurse's office, you know, Ao...

AO: M-maybe I won't...

// Rena is giving zero slack today. Although, being able to put on weight in a survival scenario is probably preferable to the alternative.

As we go around the side of the house to look through a trash can, we collect a total of 4 items and trigger the next scene. Our total haul was 1 Balloon Cabbage, 1 Old Rags, 1 Milk Flower, and whatever was in the trash can (the game cuts away before we can see it). We'll discuss these items at a later time, specifically when I have a good chance to talk about crafting. Just like story events, every single item in the game has a database entry. //

VIDEO: Challenges of A New World

(*We cut to Kokoro laying in the grass, hands on her chin as Rena inspects something in the background.*)

(*It seems to be an extremely rusted car body, with a very cracked windshield.*)

(*Ao stands thinking not far away, hand on chin as she scans the area. It's interrupted as...*)

*Agitated growl*

MUSIC: Blue Reflection - KOSUICHINOKAKUSURANAKIKU.EXE

(*The camera pans to show a strange four legged beast, some sort of hound made of obsidian and magma!*)

RENA: Looks like they've come to play again.

AO: (hands on hips, annoyed) What, you want our food or something?

KOKORO: Be careful!

(*They both nod their heads and...*)

*A burst of energy crackles the air!*

(*From nowhere, strange weapons appear in their hands!*)

(*The girls now suddenly armed with strange weapons, the camera pans to their foe!*)

BATTLE START

VIDEO: Tutorial Battle

Music: W.P. NEURONS

RENA: "I'll defeat you gracefully!"

// The battle lines make up the majority of untranslated lines, but I will be spacing them out. Also, yes, we're just jumping into a fight, why do you ask? //

// The game throws a very basic tutorial here, which you can see in the video if you so want, but I'll wait to explain combat and everything currently on screen in it's own update soon. This fight is super easy regardless of difficulty and we don't really have any of the game's real mechanics on show. Just basic attacks and a healing move.

Instead, let's take in the situation a bit. //

(* Ao's currently wielding an oversized black scythe, with a faintly blue blade. The back of the head is fractured like blue horns and emits blue-violet electricity.*)

(*It cuts with violet trails that distort the air around it.*)

// For quick reference, Ao has rather balanced stats with a focus on critical hits. //

(*Kokoro now has a long futuristic rifle made of solid black and reflective lavender-teal metal, loaded with a strange looking magazine.*)

(*It fires rather explosively, with appropriately heavy recoil.*)

// Kokoro is a glass cannon with low defense, but high damage. //

(*Rena has what one can only call a hula hoop speckled with black and colors from blue to violet. It almost looks like a sort of stained glass.*)

(*It glows a light green as she swings it, faintly leaving behind trails of 4-leaf shamrocks and sparkles.*)

// For the time being, Rena is average with a defensive lean, and bears our only healing move. //

// It doesn't take too long to finish off the enemy. One of the really small details that's hard to catch in motion is the spent bullets being ejected from Kokoro's rifle. //

MUSIC: DAYDREAM

(*For her finishing pose, Kokoro lifts her gun up-*)

(*Swings it to the side, ejecting the last bullet-*)

KOKORO: "That's an easy win!"

(*And then poses with a smile, holding it behind her as some faint hearts emit..*)

// This being a JRPG and a tutorial battle, we of course level up. //

(*Ao twirls around and swings her scythe out behind her, ending with a hand on her hip and a determined expression.*)

(*Kokoro turns towards the screen and...*)

(*fires skyward...!*)

(*...Ending with the rifle raised triumphantly.*)

(*Rena tosses her hoop to the sky...*)

(*Twirls around with a rare smile on her face...*)

(*And catches it, swinging it to bring it back high and ending on a calm, graceful expression.*)

VIDEO: First Victories

MUSIC: A Glum Face on the Water

(*With a sparkle and a fizzle of energy, the weapons vanish.*)

KOKORO: Nice work, you two.

AO: You too, Kokoro!

AO: Still, I wonder what these rings are exactly?

(*Ao raises her hand to look at the ring on her index finger. It's plain silver, but with a deep blue triangle cut gemstone on top.*)

KOKORO: They were on our fingers before we realized. When did you put yours on, Ao?

AO: It was already on my finger when I got here.

(*The two look at their rings, searching for some kind of answer.*)

RENA: (encouragingly) We can think about this later. Let's focus on finding those eggs.

(*Ao and Kokoro nod in agreement. *)

KOKORO: I don't see any... They were around here yesterday, weren't they?

AO: (thinking aloud) The fact that we found them here in the first place, must mean there's a nest nearby, right?

RENA: A nest...

(*The girls scan the area again, looking high...*)

(*Ao's eyes light up as she spies something- a nest perched on the very edge of the dilapidated house.*)

AO: Up there.

RENA: (growing concern) You're not planning to climb up there, are you?

AO: Sure am.

(*She begins to walk on, determined.*)

RENA: (sternly) Stop that. What if you fell?

KOKORO: You can wait down here, Rena. We'll go and get them!

(*Kokoro grins and goes to follow Ao.*)

(*Rena looks down, gritting her teeth...*)

RENA: ...If you two are going, I'm coming with you.

(*She's not happy about this.*)

KOKORO: That looks dangerous. You might want to start from the higher ground over there!

// And so off we go, around the house. //

(*Behind the house is a cliffside, with a fallen tree bridging the gap between it and the house. More warning signs stick straight out of it like errant branches.*)

(*Just behind the house is some large gas canisters...*)

(*As well as another ruined car and a large blockage of construction materials cutting off the road forward. This one was likely already here.*)

AO: "Huh? What's this...?"

// Rarely, gathering spots will be golden colored. These either have a rarer material or drop a number of normal materials. //

VIDEO: Teamwork - Heights

(*As Ao approaches the cliffside...*)

(*Ao hops, one leg extended towards Rena...*)

(*She catches it, and...*)

(*Boosts Ao all the way up the cliff!*)

// Talk about gymnastics, huh? Easily a 12 ft. jump there. //

(*From here we can get a good view that this whole place seems to be nestled in a valley somewhere.*)

(*Standing out through contrast, a massive red pine stands out in the distance.*)

(*Down below, a country road and some small service building...*)

// As we cross over the fallen log and onto the roof cap of the house, Ao automatically begins treating it like a balance beam. This just slows movement a bit- there's no risk of falling. //

// And with the egg acquired... //

VIDEO: Egg Get

AO: Got 'em!

KOKORO: Should we keep looking for more food?

RENA: I think we should head back soon. Look, Kinjou is starting to get impatient.

(*Ao looks down to her phone and it's pink background.*)

FreeSpace: Idle Idols posted:

RE-SOURCE: Oh, right. Ao, Kokoro, and Rena have the Reflector reaction, so they're the only ones who can use these weapons.

YUKI: Why am I the only one left out?!

-New Messages-

YUKI: Guyyyys where are you?

YUKI: I'm booooorrred

YUKI: If you don't come back soon I'm gonna cry (T_T)

KOKORO: Haha. Sounds just like Yuki.

RENA: (closing her eyes, frowning) I can imagine how she'd be lonely, being left all by herself in that big empty school.

AO: Let's get back there quick, then!

// And so we get our first look at quite a lot of things. I have to state first that I just love how the Faraway looks, especially combined with the surreal music. Nature-reclaimed ghost town, deep in the country and nestled in the hills? Sign me up.

Next is more of the medias-res storytelling striking again with the text messages. The game keeps very close track of these for flashback sequences in fact, and we're not even allowed to look at our phone on our own time just yet. Regardless, this won't be the last of Ao's phone and FreeSpace messages.

As for the combat, there will be a much better fight to talk about it all pretty soon- I estimate that'll be in about three updates. At the moment, we really do just have basic attacks and a healing move. The game hooks with its story first and paces out how it hands out the mechanics. That being said, we'll have the large majority of mechanics opened by the end of Chapter 2, and the game will hit its usual flow by Chapter 1. //

Journal: The Faraway posted:

One day during summer vacation, I suddenly found myself in this strange world. There, I met a few other girls who are around my age.

This world is connected to another world, which we call "the Faraway." To gather the things we need to survive, and to solve the mysteries of this world, we started exploring the Faraway as part of our daily routine.

...Seriously, what the heck is this place?!

Journal: The Power to Fight posted:

There's all kinds of stuff in the Faraway. I'm glad we don't have to worry about food anymore, but there are also these things there who just love to get in our way! Fortunately, the rings we wear grant us the power to fight them, so we managed to overcome them...

Anyway, where are those eggs that the others were talking about? If I were a bird...I guess I'd keep my eggs somewhere high up? Guess it's time for some climbing. Just gotta be careful not to slip and fall...

PROFILES: Ao Hoshizaki / 星崎愛央 posted:

Birthday: July 22

Height/Weight: 157 cm (5'1"), 45kg (99 lbs.)

Dislikes: Studying, boring stuff

Detailed Profile:
A totally ordinary girl. She was supposed to spend her summer vacation going to class, but instead finds herself in a strange and mysterious world. This unthinkable turn of events has rendered her lost and confused, but that won't stop her from enjoying her new home in this fantastical world!

// Just as I've been showing the story updates, there's a changing profile for every character, plus a full notebook of every item and location in the game. I'll be putting these out where possible. If I can't find a good time to drop them for a while, I'll just do an update full of logbook entries.

Her Japanese profile specifies "Light Novels", or LNs if you prefer, though those are a section of YA to begin with so it's not really a significant change. Still, she's already proven herself to be a little less than "totally ordinary", if you ask me. In time, she'll really exceed expectations. //

// Names in Japanese have meanings just like names in any other language, although they can be kinda complicated. Without diving too hard into the specifics, the meaning is derived from the characters used to spell the name. Again, not an expert on this subject, but here's the most consistent results pulled from multiple dictionaries:

星 (hoshi) = star (as in the astronomical kind)
崎 (zaki) = promontory (a cliff peninsula), cape

愛 (a) = love, affection
央 (o) = center, middle

As a notable aside, "ao" happens to be the word for blue (and in some cases, green) when written in normal kana. Family names being descriptive of a natural features is generally pretty common as well, but it doesn't mean there isn't a narrative purpose for it. //

// I'll include details on the name with every profile. I would have put this profile in the last update, but I already dumped a lot of info about honorifics there and reasoned it'd be best to space this out. //

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 30, 2023

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Next update may take a little longer to put out (already had this ready, minus a little last minute editing) thanks to needing to catch up on both LPs simultaneously. I tried to line Fates up so that this wouldn't happen, but cleaning up Rune Factory Frontier for the archive and building the background infrastructure for this took waaaay longer than expected.

I also have a higher standard for this LP's updates and still haven't completely found my workflow for them yet, so they're not particularly quick to make.

But anyways, enjoy.

second best girl is incoming

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 26, 2023

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Private videos strike again!

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Regallion posted:

Really? Cause I was able to see them just fine.

Anyway, I would have paid money to see the reaction to Rena's first time spawning a battle hula-hoop. Although being a JRPG I guess there's a strong chance they would have treated it no stranger than the others.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Regallion posted:

LJN92 posted:

Really? Cause I was able to see them just fine.

I'd made sure to set all of them before posting, I think I just have to set them public earlier. Youtube is slow (and annoying).

LJN92 posted:

Anyway, I would have paid money to see the reaction to Rena's first time spawning a battle hula-hoop. Although being a JRPG I guess there's a strong chance they would have treated it no stranger than the others.

Hey, we've still got flashbacks to see. We're far from done with those.

Edit2: Thought that me having a European disc of the game (long story) was the cause of some inconsistencies between it and my text dump, but no, I'm just getting lost in cut content and leftover alternate events. US PC version is identical to my PS4 version.

It is very strange. :iiam:

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 26, 2023

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Odd Wilson posted:

I'd made sure to set all of them before posting, I think I just have to set them public earlier. Youtube is slow (and annoying).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAFFUnLU4ww

Says it's private for me

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
Hey! I played this game after it got mentioned several times in the SA GOTY threads!

I really enjoyed it, even though it was well outside my usual wheelhouse. It's thoroughly charming and I'm thrilled someone is LPing it.

Also it's really, really gay and Ao is really, really great.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Regallion posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAFFUnLU4ww

Says it's private for me

You're... absolutely right. And even then, I know I set that one to unlisted, so... I don't know what happened.

Have a doodle Ao on me:

Sinner Sandwich posted:

Hey! I played this game after it got mentioned several times in the SA GOTY threads!

I really enjoyed it, even though it was well outside my usual wheelhouse. It's thoroughly charming and I'm thrilled someone is LPing it.

Also it's really, really gay and Ao is really, really great.

It's not the whole story of how I got interested in Blue Reflection, but I had read a ton of praise for the game here on the forums. I was waiting on Fire Emblem: Engage to see what Gust's influence on it would be like, forgot that the release date wasn't actually that far away (like a month or two), and decided to get a different Gust game to tide me over until then on a complete whim.

Best impulse buy I've ever made, still haven't played Engage :v:

Ao is fantastic, and a great choice for a viewpoint protagonist. That and the gayness shall arrive in time.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Odd Wilson posted:

Have a doodle Ao on me:

cute

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
The setting is intriguing with the strange abandoned village in forest just being a first taste of what may come. :allears:

But get some strange dissonance between "just casually murder the gross magma-dog with my summoned spirit weapon" and "oh no, you just might fall from the roof and maybe even ruffle your plaid skirt". Priorities please, girls.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Journal Entry 04: Idle Idols

// Are you ready for 20 minutes of nearly uninterrupted cutscenes? I sure am! //

VIDEO: The Hungry Kinjou

(*We return to find the girls walking towards the school, the area now bathed in sunset.*)

KOKORO: All right, where could Yuki be?

AO: Probably in the work room, as usual.

(*They all look off to the left at a door just barely visible in the school's hallway.*)

(*We fade to black as the girls start walking, Rena wasting no time in moving ahead.*)

AO: We're home!

(*Our view cuts to a girl in yellow with long hair done up in buns turning around...*)

YUKI: (happily) Finally!

YUKI: (annoyed) I've been waiting forever!

(*Her expression quickly shifts from a big grin to a frown.*)

RENA: Oh, quit complaining. We've brought lots of ingredients.

YUKI: Yaaaay! Tonight we feast!

(*Aaand she's back to being happy.*)

RENA: (sternly) Wait. We need to ration these carefully.

(*Rena puts her hands on her hips...*)

(*And Yuki replies with a huge grin.*)

YUKI: But we have so much now! We've gotta enjoy it!

RENA: (sighing) Oh, jeez...

YUKI: So, did you find anything out about the Faraway?

KOKORO: We weren't able to investigate much today, unfortunately. We had some...unforeseen difficulties.

(*Kokoro looks towards Ao, the latter of whom dodges eye contact.*)

RENA: Yes... Unforeseen difficulties...

(*With Rena now glaring her way, Ao's flustered expression more than gives away her guilt. *)

// :allears: //

AO: (*nervously*) Yeah, what they said! Tons of 'em.

RENA: (*thinking aloud*) That place was as strange as ever.

YUKI: I think we got pretty lucky! A whole other world just appearing like that!

AO: Yeah. It might offer up some clues about how we got here in the first place.

(*We get a slowly panning shot of the Faraway's entrance before cutting back to the girls.*)

YUKI: Well, that too, I guess. But I was thinking about all the food we can get there!

(*Yuki shakes her head and strikes a miserable expression.*)

YUKI: I was getting tired of nothing but nuts and berries and fish.

KOKORO: What I wouldn't give for some rice...

RENA: You'll just have to put up with what we can get. Be thankful you won't starve to death.

AO: There might be rice somewhere in the Faraway. Let's explore deeper next time.

KOKORO: I can't wait!

(*Kokoro stares off wistfully, imagining the rice to be had...*)

RENA: Save it for tomorrow. Let's worry about what's in front of us for now.

YUKI: I'll get dinner started! Hmm, what to make...

KOKORO: I'd love some tamagoyaki again.

YUKI: We do have some eggs, but let's change things up a little.

YUKI: Hey, Ao. See if you can find any herbs or spices! Maybe try the courtyard?

AO: (with a nod) Got it. Be right back!

(*The scene fades out as she turns to leave.*)

// Yuki will quickly prove herself to be Ao's competition in best expressions. Her VA is very dynamic to go with that, and it honestly sounds like they were having a lot of fun with the role. //

*Door sliding*

(*We return to see Yuki grinning as she picks up a knife...*)

(*...Only for it to vanish as she's met with reproach from Rena. Kokoro's off in the background, looking at some boxes on the floor.*)

*Door sliding*

AO: I'm back!

(*Everyone looks to Ao, who arrives with a wave.*)

YUKI: Oh, thanks! That should be everything now.

KOKORO: As long as everyone is here, why don't we all cook together?

RENA: Agreed. It's getting dark, so we should get dinner ready quickly.

(*And so the scene ends with a smile from Rena...*)

// We are now afforded control to talk to the others before we head into the crafting tutorial. Crafting's not particularly deep, but on with it we go. //

RENA: Climbing on the roof... Well, don't do anything too crazy.

YUKI: Oooh! What'dja do today? I wanna hear all about it later!

KOKORO: I'm excited for some tamagoyaki!

AO: I haven't done a lot of cooking, so...

YUKI: Don't worry, Kokoro will show you how.

YUKI: How many eggs did you bring again?

RENA: Just the one.

YUKI: These eggs are huge anyways, this should make plenty...

AO: ...I think I understand. What next?

KOKORO: Can you hand me the spices?

AO: Here you go!

KOKORO: And you go like this...

RENA: Are we ready?

YUKI: This looks perfect!

// Crafting is very simple, it either asks for a specific item (in this case a Giant Egg,) or for something that matches a category, (Red Grass matches Herbs and Spicy categories.) There's more to it later, but not a lot more.

The game donates us the items to make this as we otherwise wouldn't have anything that qualifies for herbs. //

VIDEO: Cooking Together

(*We cut to the 4 all working in the kitchen.*)

(* Rena collects plates from a high shelf with a smile in the foreground...*)

(*Yuki hurries over to the table and puts her hands together happily...*)

(*All while Ao and Kokoro finish working at the stove together with a smile.*)

(*And it all ends with a quick fade to white as the group looks in on what they've made. Rena smiles pleasantly, Ao looks on in wonder, while Yuki and Kokoro stare on with big grins.*)

RENA: That went well.

// That little scene shows every time you cook, with only very small differences unrelated to the item you're making. It is still rather cute though.

Tamagoyaki ("grilled/rolled egg") itself is basically omelettes rolled into a sort of loaf. //

VIDEO: Memories

AO: All done! Looks great!

RENA: Everyone grab a plate.

(*And so we fade out, but...*)

YUKI: (*wailing*) Aaaah! Spicy!!

KOKORO: Wh-what happened?

YUKI: (*rapidly, breathless*) I made one super spicy and hid it. Can't believe I'm the one who got it...

RENA: What were you thinking...

YUKI: Ahh, but that was just as much fun as I thought it'd be! I'll get one of you next time!

AO: Ahaha, didn't learn your lesson, huh?

(*We fade out with Ao laughing as Yuki psychs herself up.*)

AO: Phew, I'm stuffed. I'm gonna head back to the room and get ready for bed.

(*A short view of Ao outside the work room follows, as we quickly change scene to...*)

MUSIC: Chatting into the Night

(*...The other three girls sitting at the low table in the classroom. Yuki nods to Rena who looks down with a sigh, Kokoro looking onwards. Eventually Yuki looks up to the roof.*)

YUKI: Still, I wonder what that place really is.

*Door sliding, footsteps*

(*Yuki looks towards the source...*)

AO: What'cha talking about?

(*Ao sits down at the table with them.*)

KOKORO: The Faraway. Don't you think it's strange?

AO: (*frowning*) This whole world is strange, if you ask me.

KOKORO: Compared to the world you came from, you mean?

AO: Yeah, the field and road were totally gone!

(*She looks down to her lap.*)

AO: I was like, "It was just there a second ago!" I thought I was losing it.

KOKORO: We were surprised too, having a stranger appear out of thin air. It was just us three for so long.

KOKORO: (sadly) We didn't even realize how strange it was that we were the only ones here.

RENA: We only realized when you appeared all of a sudden.

YUKI: Like, "What is this place? Why can't we remember anything?"

KOKORO: Though we of course remembered some things, like the names of objects and how to use them.

KOKORO: But memories of people or where we used to live... All gone, no matter how hard we try to remember.

AO: I see...

(*She looks away, taking on a troubled expression as she thinks to herself.*)

YUKI: Are you worried?

AO: Huh? What do you mean?

(*She looks back, shaken from her brief gloom.*)

YUKI: Well, we don't remember anything. We don't even know if there's somewhere for us to go back to...

YUKI: To be honest, we still don't really have any desire to "go back."

RENA: (solemnly) Yes... That's true.

YUKI: But you remember, don't you, Ao?

AO: I-it's okay!

AO: (upbeat) I have all of you here with me. I'm not worried.

AO: In fact, I'm having a lot of fun! It's like we're in a movie or something!

AO: I'm just a normal girl... I've always wanted to be part of something special.

YUKI: Ahaha, really? Well then, that's good!

RENA: Be that as it may, you can't stay here forever, right?

KOKORO: We should take a closer look at the Faraway tomorrow.

RENA: It may hold some clues about our memories.

(*A smile comes to both of their faces.*)

YUKI: Got it! Guess we should get ready for bed then.

(*And as Yuki gets up from the floor, the scene ends.*)

AO: (I'm not feeling tired enough yet to sleep. I should see what everyone is up to.)

AO: (Kokoro is writing again... is that her diary?)

// From here we have to talk to all the girls individually before we can end the day. //

VIDEO: Kokoro's Diary

AO: Is that a diary?

KOKORO: Yes. I write in it every day.

(*Following this, she stops writing to look at Ao, who sits down next to her.*)

AO: You were writing in it when we first met, weren't you? What do you write about?

KOKORO: What we ate that day, what I talked about with Yuki and Rena...

KOKORO: Things never changed much from day to day, so that's pretty much all I've written about up to now.

AO: Huh...

(*She lifts her pen up as the view turns toward the diary itself.*)

KOKORO: But it has been helpful to have a log of what we ate. It helps us remember what turned out well.

AO: Like recipes and stuff, yeah?

KOKORO: But there's been so much going on recently that my entries have been getting longer and longer.

AO: Like what?

(*Kokoro looks down to the diary, idly thinking through all the recent events.*)

KOKORO: Well, for starters, you came.

KOKORO: And then the Faraway appeared.

KOKORO: There were demons there, and fighting them was a little scary...

KOKORO: I was serious about what I said, you know? Things are nice and lively with you here.

KOKORO: (cheerfully) I'm glad you came to us, Ao.

AO: Aw, you're embarrassing me...

KOKORO: (seriously) But you have somewhere you need to get back to.

KOKORO: It'll be sad to see you go, but the most important thing is to be where you belong.

KOKORO: We have to find a way to get you back. We'll try again tomorrow, okay?

AO: Thank you.

(*Thus it ends, with a light smile on Ao's face.*)

// I have the texture for Kokoro's diary, however the text is surprisingly low resolution and it makes it particularly difficult to get anything out of it. //

AO: (Hm... Yuki's still wide awake. I wonder what she's doing on her phone?)

VIDEO: FreeSpace 101

YUKI: Heya! Not going to sleep yet?

AO: Nope. Not feeling very sleepy.

YUKI: Oh, have you gotten used to FreeSpace yet?

AO: I'm getting there. It's taken a bit, though.

YUKI: I still can't believe that you didn't already have one. I thought everyone was using it these days.

YUKI: Here, I'll show you one more time. Open the app!

AO: All right.

YUKI: Welcome to FreeSpace 101!

RENA: Uh oh.

KOKORO: 101? How many levels of this are there?

YUKI: So yeah, it's an app you can use to message us

YUKI: If you make a group, you can talk to just the people invited to that group

YUKI: Not that we have any other groups than this one. (^▽^)

AO: I see. So this thing at the top is the group name? 1

YUKI: Yep! Whoever came up with it must be like, a super genius!

AO: So it was you! 2

YUKI: And that's pretty much it!

AO: Thanks, that was a lot of help.

AO: So... If we can charge our phones, that means we have electricity here, doesn't it?

YUKI: Mm, I guess so?

AO: And if we're able to message each other, that means we have reception too.

YUKI: Yep.

AO: We seem to have running water and gas too, so... Where is it all coming from?

YUKI: ...Huh, good point! I've never thought about that before!

(*She hits her fist against her palm, eyes wide at this revelation.*)

AO: There's something off about this world...

(*Ao looks out the window towards the night horizon.*)

YUKI: (grinning) We have everything we need, so no harm, no foul, right?

// It's worth noting our choice of reply text in FreeSpace conversations doesn't really matter, it's just flavor. For this, I'll just picking what I think is funnier and/or fits Ao best in the moment. Moments with alternate responses are marked with subscript numbers, after which I'll indicate the other possible responses. FreeSpace's primary use will reveal itself next update. //

// Alternate texts are: "Idle Idols...?" and "Whoa, don't know who came up with that, but they must be a genius!" //

AO: (Rena's been looking this way. I'll go see what's on her mind.)

VIDEO: Rena's Worries

RENA: (softly) Hoshizaki... Have you been sleeping all right?

(*Ao wakes up from a brief daze and looks her way.*)

AO: Huh? Why?

RENA: You were sleeping so soundly this afternoon, I thought you might not be getting enough sleep at night.

RENA: If there's anything on your mind, make sure you let us know. We're all stuck here together after all.

RENA: It hasn't been long since you arrived. I wouldn't be surprised if you're still getting used to everything.

AO: Are you...worried about me?

RENA: (usual harshness) O-of course not. I just want to make sure our lives here go smoothly.

AO: Oh reeeally?

RENA: Stop that.

AO: I'm more worried about you, Rena. Isn't it scary not having any memories?

RENA: I didn't even know that I'd had a memory to lose, so I wasn't particularly upset about it.

RENA: (solemnly) Though now that I know, it is quite disturbing.

(*She closes her eyes, falling quiet.*)

AO: Do you want to get it back?

RENA: I suppose so. But even more than that...

RENA: I want to know why it happened.

AO: Oh, really? Huh...

RENA: Something extraordinary must have happened for us to completely lose our memories.

RENA: I just hope it's not something we'll regret learning.

(*Her fears made known, the scene ends.*)

// The game normally interrupts with a tutorial regarding Talent Points here, (basically relationship points), but there's a better time for those in the next update. //

VIDEO: Goodnight, Restless Thoughts

MUSIC: Blue Reflection Theme - Sleep Jingle

(*The girls prepare to sleep, Yuki and Kokoro walking off together...*)

(*... Rena stretches while Ao idly looks around. From there, we fade to black.*)

// What plays here is a short few notes of the main Blue Reflection piano theme, a musical motif that shows up often. This clip is the same section from the actual piano solo of it as the clip the game uses is hidden deep in the files somewhere. //

// This scene will play every time we go to sleep in the future, although it does get a number of changes as the story goes on. //

*Bedsheet rustle*

(*We find Ao lying down in her bed, staring at the ceiling, wide awake.*)

AO: (Kokoro Utsubo.)

AO: (Rena Miyauchi.)

AO: (Yuki Kinjou.)

(*She turns on her side.*)

AO: (Has it already been three days since we met?)

AO: (Just what is this world, anyway?)

AO: (It could just be a particularly long dream.)

AO: (It could be a prank that's gone on a little too long. I could still laugh this all off I think.)

AO: (Or maybe... This is the afterlife? No, no way!)

(*Her brief shock fades back into a troubled expression...*)

(*The view slowly pulls away as she faces the wall in the darkness.*)

AO: (Mom... Dad... Are you worried about me?)

AO: (I bet my professor's mad I never made it to class...)

AO: *Sniff*

(*We cut to see the other three girls, all of them awake as well. Rena closes her eyes while Kokoro and Yuki look towards Ao, their expressions suggesting they heard that sniffle. *)

(*Time passes, with our view returning on that of the night sky outside.*)

*Rustle*

AO: (Ugh, no way I'm getting back to sleep now. Maybe I'll go up to the roof.)

MUSIC: Thorns That Still Sting

(*From there we find Ao at top of the school. From here, we can see there truly is nothing but water in all directions.*)

AO: Phew...

AO: Totally surrounded by water.

AO: Just the four of us.

(*She looks out to the starry sky above the Faraway's entrance.*)

AO: And everyone but me has lost their memory...

AO: Not to mention that we don't understand a thing about the Faraway...

AO: Just that we fight demons using weapons that come out of these rings we all have.

(*Our view moves to her hand, centering on the ring.*)

AO: (yelling) Ugh, I just don’t understand! What is this place?!

*Phone notification*

AO: Hmm? My FreeSpace?

YUKI: Where'd you go, Ao? The bathroom?

AO: Way up high 1

YUKI: ???

// Alternate response: "Look up" //

AO: Haha.

(*She laughs for a moment, but her smile quickly fades.*)

AO: FreeSpace, huh...

AO: (I'd never heard of any app called "FreeSpace" until I came here.)

AO: (I remember dropping my phone on the way to summer classes...)

AO: (When I found it, this app was on it. And then...)

FreeSpace: ??? posted:

UNKNOWN: Be Reborn

(*The profile picture is just a default cartoon silhouette of a person.*)

AO: (This message was on the screen.)

AO: (And I couldn't use any of my apps other than FreeSpace.)

AO: (Is this how I was sent to this world?)

AO: (If that's the case, whoever put FreeSpace on my phone is the one who brought me here.)

AO: Hmmmm...

(*The music grows silent as an unknown figure approaches with quiet footsteps.*)

UNKNOWN: You...

AO: Aah! Who's there?!

(*Ao recoils and quickly looks to see...*)

(*...a girl with blonde, braided pigtails looking at her, arms crossed.*)

UNKNOWN: (angrily) Who are you? Why are you here?

AO: Huh...?

AO: Who are you? Why are you here?

(*We fade from white to a view of the school's courtyard entrance in daytime.*)

AO: I wonder how many people can answer that question with confidence.

(*A view of the front gate, cast in shadow...*)

AO: Ever since I can remember, I wanted to be somebody. Somebody special.

(*Sunflowers in the planter, surrounding the railway's staircase...*)

AO: I was just a lost girl, looking for her way home.

AO: I found the "special" that I had been looking for.

(*Obscured shots of various figures cut by, some of them familiar, most of them not.*)

(*Ao stands alone, looking-- *)

(*-- all of her friends-- *)

(* --up to the sky above the Faraway...*)

AO: It was the beginning of a long, long summer.

BLUE REFLECTION 帝
-Second Light-

*Cicada chirping*

// The energetic Yuki, a strange text message, and an enigmatic girl with braided pigtails. There's power here, cell reception seemingly to just each other, and Ao seems to be the only one who remembers anything of who she is. Any time we get an answer, we end up with more questions. The only thing I can say is that we're halfway through the prologue, and one step closer to picking away at the mystery. //

// Ao mentions her professor, which does bring up the fact that she is a college student and not a high schooler. It's hard to say specifically if this is exclusively a change made in localization though. It's a topic that doesn't get brought up often in-game, but a later conversation uses 学"生" ("gakusei") to refer to them which is usually used for university students but rarely just means students generically (the localization uses "college students" there, of course).

The age of the characters isn't ever stated, and we really only have things we learn from their backstory and small amounts of later dialogue to go off of. Is this particularly important? Not really.

We at least learned that Ao has parents, therefore setting her apart from most JRPG protagonists :v: //

// Interestingly, there seems to be a cut portion of events where Ao goes and collects the grass where you'd go and get a specific color depending on one of the girls tastes. Red grass would have played out the same for Yuki, Pink is sweet and matches Kokoro's tastes, and Yellow is sour matching Rena's tastes. Notably, the sour one goes poorly, but everyone acknowledges that Rena just wanted something to lighten everyone's fatigue. //

// As a final note, Yuki never uses any honorific for any of the girls in the group, even Rena. Rena still uses the same "Kinjou-san" as usual for her, Ao uses no honorific, and Kokoro the usual "-chan". //

Journal: Dinnertime posted:

We got the food! Now that we're all set, let's get cooking! I've never really cooked before, though...

Oh well, it'll be fine! We'll figure it out together!

Journal: Reflections posted:

It looks like no one remembers anything from before they came here. But I think they're probably from another world, just like me. There's still so many things we have to figure out.

The more I think about it, the harder it is to fall asleep... Maybe I should try and talk to the others.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 1, 2023

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

OutofSight posted:

The setting is intriguing with the strange abandoned village in forest just being a first taste of what may come. :allears:

But get some strange dissonance between "just casually murder the gross magma-dog with my summoned spirit weapon" and "oh no, you just might fall from the roof and maybe even ruffle your plaid skirt". Priorities please, girls.

Rena's specifically the only who's worried about falling, Ao and Kokoro don't really mind. It does go to show something that they're hardly afraid of these monsters, though I suppose being able to summon a weapon to defend yourself whenever you need it helps. Hard to say how much a scythe might help against gravity.

Decided to put this one out earlier than I said I would because it ends on a better note for a slightly longer delay between updates. Between all the nonsense I've been dealing with this week and me waffling over arguably very minor decisions, it ended up taking longer than expected to fix up a mostly complete update. Oh well.

Next update will very likely be on Friday as I desperately need to build up a backlog for like, any of my LP work. Our next character profile will be then too.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Ao's a university student, and yet her outfit looks more like a high school uniform. As far as I'm aware, Japanese universities don't have uniforms, and the closest thing I can find is they sometimes dress in business wear, which looks nothing like Ao's outfit.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

LJN92 posted:

Ao's a university student, and yet her outfit looks more like a high school uniform. As far as I'm aware, Japanese universities don't have uniforms, and the closest thing I can find is they sometimes dress in business wear, which looks nothing like Ao's outfit.

This is true, and while there may br some explanations as to why the other characters are wearing what they are, Ao was wearing her outfit before she got here. I suppose it's not impossible she's still just wearing her high school outfit because she wants to. It is a good color combination.

Again, I can't really give a final answer on whether or not it's a localization thing both in regards to later story conversations and the fact I simply don't know.

Edit: To clarify, some later dialogue will shine some light on this, but I can't say much more than it's a couple chapters in.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 1, 2023

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Yeah, this feels like a localisation thing, though, I'm not sure why they'd bother (at least, not so far). The multiple times she's mentioned class/summer class are described as supplemental lessons each time in Japanese which would generally be suggestive of 'with a view to going to university' rather than already being there. She also says they were taking place at school (学校) which I'm pretty sure you wouldn't use for university.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Polsy posted:

Yeah, this feels like a localisation thing, though, I'm not sure why they'd bother (at least, not so far). The multiple times she's mentioned class/summer class are described as supplemental lessons each time in Japanese which would generally be suggestive of 'with a view to going to university' rather than already being there. She also says they were taking place at school (学校) which I'm pretty sure you wouldn't use for university.

Good to know. I'm far from an expert on this, so I always welcome more informed input. I definitely know there's a later spot that says college but should say school.

For a bit of context, the line that uses 学生 isn't from Ao herself so maybe it's that character just incorrectly assuming everyone's ages, but the localization ran with it. Still, I don't know why they'd run with a singular line if this is the case. There's nothing in particular that changes if she is a college student unless I'm forgetting some small detail, so I'll just take the localization's word for it that she is.

Perhaps it was a decision made in regards to Blue Reflection 1's... troubled localization, although I have no way to know for sure. That's a subject to cover when we actually get there though.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 2, 2023

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Update will be out tomorrow: the actual update is ready, it's just I don't have the scenes video uploaded and won't be able to until tomorrow.

Convenient that these last two weeks have been covered in distractions and delays now that I'm starting a new LP. It's never when I have an update backlog, only when I need to make one.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Journal Entry 05: Recovering ReSources

MUSIC: TIE

// Ever since we began the game, the title screen has updated to this. The crew of 4 walking along the Faraway tracks, with Rena ahead pointing to their destination, Yuki treating the iron ties like a balance beam, and Kokoro looking back to Ao who's running to catch up. //

// A few various views of the deserted school follow, but we'll save those for another time. For now we return to... //

VIDEO: Endless Blue

Prologue-
Endless Blue

*Piano chord*

(*It fades out, reverses back and cuts out in a flash, sending the chapter letters floating away.*)

(*Our view then focuses on Ao, sitting alone on the pier in the morning sun. Lost in thought, she stares on with a blank expression.*)

KOKORO: Hey, Ao.

(*Shaken to attention, Ao look behind her to Kokoro. She gives a little wave in return.*)

AO: Hmm? Oh, hi Kokoro. What's up?

KOKORO: I saw you sitting out here, so I thought I'd come talk to you.

(*Following this, she moves to sit down next to her, knees up.*)

AO: I've actually been meaning to ask you, are we really the only people in this world?

KOKORO: What do you mean?

AO: Last night, I saw someone that I'd never seen before. A girl with pigtails.

KOKORO: Ah, you mean Yuko?

AO: (confused) Yuko...?

KOKORO: Yeah, we call her that cause she just kind of looked like a Yuko to us.

AO: You know her?

KOKORO: You could say that. Not very well, though.

KOKORO: She never answers when we try to talk to her, and she just disappears as suddenly as she arrived.

(*Kokoro closes her eyes, looking down.*)

AO: That's exactly what happened to me. She was gone before I knew it.

AO: Is she a...ghost?

(*Ao looks away, as serious expression crossing her face.*)

KOKORO: (sadly) I wonder... But she's never done anything to us, so I don't think she's bad.

KOKORO: Sorry, we should have warned you.

AO: (smiling) No, it's okay.

(*Kokoro turns her gaze to the Faraway before sitting forward and hanging her legs from the pier.*)

KOKORO: Hey, we're going again today, right? To the Faraway.

AO: Yeah. We've gotta be able to find some clues over there.

(*Time passes as we fade to Ao standing up.*)

*Phone notification*

YUKI: This is bad! This is bad! This is bad!

AO: Whatwhatwhatwhat! 1

YUKI: At any rate, someone needs to come to the Study Room ASAP!

// Alternate Texts: 1 - "...What's with you all of a sudden?" //

KOKORO: I wonder what happened?

AO: Let's go check on her.

// And so ends the short unvoiced scene. "Study Room" should be "work room", and given there's script in the files with an accurate translation, I have no idea what happened. //

// And so we are set free to roam the school once more. //

// Following the pathway into the school, we find Rena looking at a collection of awards and trophies. //

AO: Rena, did you-

RENA: -see Kinjou's text? I'll be there in a minute.

AO: Gotcha.

AO: (There are a lot of trophies and awards here. My name will never be on one of these...)

AO: (...Never mind that. I need to check on Yuki.)

(*And so down the long hall and into the work room we go.*)

VIDEO: Yuki's Dilemma

(*We arrive to find Yuki facing away from the camera, staring in the direction of the yellow fridge.*)

AO: What's up?

YUKI: (impatiently) It's gone.

AO: Gone? What's gone?

(*Yuki turns around, her expression a mix of emptiness and anger.*)

YUKI: Our food. It's all gone.

AO: Huh?

YUKI: (gesturing frantically) Don't give me that! You snuck in here and had yourself a midnight snack, didn't you?!

AO: What?! No, I would never...

(*Ao recoils at the accusation.*)

YUKI: (with a hollow expression) Don't you know how important food is in this harsh world devoid of pleasures?

YUKI: I'm talking about our quality of life here!

(*She throws her hands down in frustration and ends with a sad expression*)

AO: Thank you for always cooking for us, Yuki.

(*She gives a cute cheer with a smile.*)

YUKI: (happily) Oh, it's my pleasure!

YUKI: Wait, no! This is important!

AO: (thinking) But I doubt Kokoro and Rena would do something like that...

YUKI: It's gotta be one of us! There's no one else here!

AO: Yeah, I can go and get whatever we need.

YUKI: Well if you're offering...

YUKI: Grr, I'm sure that I set some aside, though!

(*And with Yuki grumbling to herself, the scene ends.*)

// If you watch the video, you'll note Yuki says "quality of life" in English, or at least nearly English. Japanese has a surprisingly large amount of loanwords and phrases. //

// The game drops a tutorial on requests here... //

YUKI: This is pretty weird. Did our food grow legs and walk away?

Request - Yuki: Hungry For... posted:

Our food! This is terrible! We're all out of Balloon Cabbage! Hurry and go get more! I'm counting on you!

// Requests form one of the two main ways to gain relationship points, and serve as sidequests when they're not being used as part of the main story. //

// Yuki isn't the only one with a request however... //

RENA: Why would I go out of my way to steal food? I'm sure this is just a wild fantasy of Kinjou's.

RENA: We need to get stronger. The Faraway's dangerous.

Request: Rena - Homework from Rena: posted:

Do you have a moment, Hoshizaki?

RENA: I've been thinking.

AO: What about?

RENA: The way you fight, you put yourself in too much danger. I feel anxious just watching you.

AO: You think so? We're winning, so all's well that ends well, right?

RENA: (sighing) Things may not always go this well. Just the other day, you were cutting it close.

RENA: You need to think more about your stamina. You can't be constantly attacking all the time.

AO: I could do that if I really wanted. All the demons we've fought so far were so weak, I just didn't have to.

RENA: Then prove it to me.

AO: Okay! I'll go get Kokoro and meet you at the entrance.

KOKORO: A food thief... It wasn't me, you know!

AO: I told Yuki there was no way you or Rena did it. Anyway, we're headed to the Faraway early today.

KOKORO: I'll come along in just a moment.

// Now that requests are unlocked, we can freely use FreeSpace. There are some more unseen texts in the Group Chat, but we'll flashback to those in not too long. The other important feature is that of private messaging, namely to get a refresher or hints on requests. //

FreeSpace: DM: Yuki posted:

AO: Hey Yuki, where did you say we can find balloon cabbage?

YUKI: I'm pretty sure they grow in the ground in the Faraway

YUKI: Maybe the demons took them all

AO: Do they even eat cabbage?

YUKI: Who knows.

FreeSpace: DM: Rena posted:

AO: Which demon should I fight next?

RENA: How about that little one that was always walking around the entrance? That should be perfect.

RENA: I wouldn't underestimate him just because of his size though.

AO: ->

// With this, we also get our first view of the FreeSpace stamps, all of which are maximum :allears:

In the future, I may convert some of the request hint conversations to be in-person if it matches, but I left this as-is because of the stamp.

With that done, off we go! //

>> First Layer: Breezy Woodland Path <<

MUSIC: Faraway Jingle

(*We cut to a brief view of Rena, Ao, and Kokoro walking up the rails to the Faraway before fading to white.*)

// This little musical tune plays here. It's an excerpt from... something. I can't place it at the moment. It is however very similar to tracks from and the musical style of Blue Reflection 1. //

AO: (Here we are again... still as strange as ever.)

// Having been given more proper freedom, we've now unlocked a few new features to play with. //

// The first of which is the map. This is the only time I'll post this screen in full, I'll just be putting up the maps separately and more zoomed up after this.

Given you have the minimap, this is mostly only useful for a few particularly large zones, and the button it gives to to warp back to the school instantly. Spares a lot of backtracking. //

// The other new thing is being able to swing Ao's scythe around while running around the Faraway. Hitting enemies with it starts a battle with advantage, and can otherwise be used to cut tall grass. It creates an explosion of petals when you do so. It does serve a purpose though... //

AO: Oh, a coin! I knew I'd find something!

KOKORO: I've never seen one like it. I wonder where it's from?

// ...very rarely, you'll pick up coins for doing it. It's also just strangely fun, which is probably why there's an achievement for doing a lot of it. //

RENA: Hoshizaki, Utsubo! Demon incoming!

// We are thrown in to a forced "miniboss" fight as we move forward, but the fight only serves to demonstrate using items in combat and poses no real challenge. A critical hit from it did only a third of Ao's HP. //

AO: This is my moment!

*In her victory flourish, Ao expertly twirls her scythe overhead 4 times...*

*And then catches it on the 5th time around, bringing it behind her and across her back with a smile. *

AO: Easy win, easy win... you won't beat me like that!

// The demons we need to fight for Rena are spread about the area instead. The one we just fought is a later enemy that I think they used to not confuse new players on how overworld encounters work. //

KOKORO: This is going to be tough...

AO: We'll be fine! They're n-

AO: No way...!

RENA: Be careful, Hoshizaki! I told you not to underestimate them.

KOKORO: Are you all right? Why don't you rest for a bit?

AO: Y-yeah... sorry.

// And like that, Ao is KO'd in two attacks by Calm Erythros, the first enemies in the game. Neither attack was critical, and both do about half our current HP. Welcome to Hard difficulty!

Not having a chance to heal the crit Ao took is a major part in this though, Rena could have prevented this if we had the time to heal. //

// Kokoro and Rena can clean up from here, but it's not easy. At the very least, anyone KO'd gets back up with 1 HP after the end of a battle... provided the whole party doesn't go down.

Downed party members still get full EXP- in fact, everyone gets equal experience even if they're not in the party. //

AO: (I guess they really do eat cabbage. Huh.)

// We also get item drops from enemies for the first time- the spoils screen comes after level-ups, if any. We did level again, but there's nothing new there, just a few points up. //

AO: (Okay, I've learned my lesson. I'll take them seriously from now on.)

AO: (I need to show Rena I can do this!)

// It's about time I explain some basic combat while Ao focuses on this next fight. We open by hitting the Erythro with the scythe. It doesn't matter if Ao is behind the enemy, as long as she connects. //

// Second Light's combat is controlled by it's ATB meter, the timeline on the lower right. As time passes, combatants build up Ether, tracked on the timelinein 1000 point increments to to a maximum of 5000. We can't go higher than 1k at our current level.

The pre-emptive strike with the scythe immediately pushes Ao up to 1000ep on the timeline as soon as combat starts. //

// In order to act, we have to meet the Ether requirement for the skill. Most actions are multiples of 1000ep or the occasional 500ep. Everything we have right now, (including using an item,) is a flat 1k Ether. //

// Ao does a glorious 3 damage with her basic attack right now. This prompts the combo tracker to appear on the right. //

// The higher the combo, the higher a multiplier on damage output we get. The combo meter only goes up and doesn't fade away on it's own, so you will progressively do more and more damage as combat goes on. //

// Most enemy attacks need around 4k Ether to use- you can find them going from right to left on the timeline.

I should also mention Erythros have only 2 attacks, Headbutt and Bomb Through. The first is self-explanatory, the second has them fire a small fireball in an arc from their mouth like a mortar. They do roughly the same damage (about half health to anyone not named Rena) although the bomb does a bit more on regular. //

// The only other thing to explain is those green diamonds above the skill description. That's Ether Acceleration, an abstracted value added to a character's hidden Ether Recovery Speed. Basically, it makes our characters act even faster as the battle goes on.

Some later abilities have red diamonds, which slow the character down instead. I believe using an item (also 1k Ether) might be a small minus on acceleration but I geniunely cannot remember as items aren't particularly necessary on lower difficulties. //

// With the current mechanics, that's about all I can say. You might able to tell that later fights can get rather fast and chaotic.

The last thing to really note is that in any normal monster fight, as long as someone has 1k Ether built up, you can escape. Escape is 100% guaranteed. You can even pre-emptive strike with the scythe, immediately escape, and run through the enemy if it's blocking your way.

Rena gets the final blow in this fight. So we get to see her victory animation. //

(*She lightly tosses her hoop, catches it on the back of her hand...*)

(*Rolls it across her back to the tip of other hand's index finger, lightly tosses and catches it with a flick off her hand...*)

(*And rests it on her shoulder with a smile.*)

RENA: Well, maybe next time, hm?

// We hit level 4 and Kokoro learns Sparkle Ball, although peculiarly it doesn't show up in her ability list yet. //

KOKORO: That was a rough battle. I think we should take time to regroup.

RENA: Good idea. We've already gathered more food than we had.

AO: I can't wait to show this to Yuki!

// Before we leave, I do fight one more group of Erythros to complete Rena's homework. We end up coming back with a grand total of 9 Balloon Cabbage, so I can't help but feel the gathering points are maybe skewed for this part.

We rejoin the girls back at the isolated school, Ao bringing today's haul to Yuki. //

VIDEO: Mission Complete

AO: All right, think this'll be enough?

YUKI: That's perfect! You're the best, Ao!

*And before we fade out, we get a short shot of Ao posing proudly with a confident smirk. *

// Normally, I wouldn't put something so short in the video clips, but I can't not do it after that pose. //

AO: (I never finished my conversation with Kokoro. I want to talk to her more.)

AO: (I should probably find Rena along the way if I can.)

Request: Rena - Homework from Rena: posted:

Hoshizaki. Watching you fight drives me crazy. Your fighting style needs to be steadier and more consistent. If you think you can do that, then prove it to me.

AO: How about that?

RENA: It seems I was wrong. You can fight very well.

AO: Told you I was awesome!

RENA: If you had just fought like that from the start, I wouldn't have had to...

(*Rena looks away.*)

AO: What, were you worried for me?

RENA: (grimly) It would be trouble if you were to get hurt.

AO: Hehe, that's true.

// We gain a good 5 TP for that request, and since we're about to walk into another story section, we may as well talk about it now. //

// As briefly mentioned before, Talent Points are basically our relationship points with the other girls. As you gain more, you gain Talent Levels and eventually recieve some passive buffs. For the moment, this is what all of our 4 girls have: //

AO: An Ordinary Girl - Critical Hit Damage Up

KOKORO: A Shy Girl - Ailment Infliction Chance Up

RENA: A Cold-Hearted Girl - Granted Support Duration Up

YUKI: A Cheerful Girl - Item Drop Rate Up

// In addition, we can individually allocate those points to buy other smaller passive buffs and sometimes even new moves. (This doesn't subtract from our progress to the next Talent Level, of course.)

Each character has 4 different lists to spend on, each representing a part of who they are. Currently the ones we can see are: //

KOKORO: Country Girl; Unwavering Spirit

RENA: Calm, Cool, Collected; Conservative Attitude

YUKI: Carefree; Act First, Think Later

// As Yuki does not fight, her talents are generally more substantial, more expensive, and target characters other than her. +7 Damage absolutely isn't anything to scoff at at this point in the game, and that's far from her best talents. //

AO: Energetic; Rational; Gentle; Creative

// Ao is also an exception in that we have access to all 4 lists from the start. She only gains TP when other girls gain Talent Levels, which means she'll generally be slower to upgrade. I mean, what else would she gain TP from? She can't really improve her relationship with herself after all. //

// For the most part, there's not a lot to say about available Talents yet. More unlock with combat level, items collected, enemies defeated, and usually just story progression. When notable ones do show up, I'll tell you. After all, it may be relevant to your voting. //

// For now, we rejoin Ao on her way back to the dock at sunset. //

VIDEO: ReSource

(*Ao walks up to Kokoro, each footstep a hollow drum upon the dock.*)

(*She turns away from gazing at the Faraway...*)

(*To be met with a silent wave from Ao.*)

MUSIC: Kept Me Waiting

(*We fade to them sitting together on the dock just as they were this morning, now in the fading light of the evening.*)

AO: We were talking like this when the Faraway first appeared, weren't we?

KOKORO: Yeah, that's right—

(*We fade into a flashback of a previous morning.*)

KOKORO: I like this place. There's just something about it that makes me feel safe and secure.

(*Kokoro looks to the school behind her.*)

AO: How so?

KOKORO: It's like my own secret hideout.

AO: Did you ever build secret hideouts as a kid?

(*Kokoro looks to her in a brief shock that lasts for a moment before falling into a troubled expression.*)

KOKORO: Did I...?

KOKORO: Secret hideout... Secret hideout...

(*She closes her eyes for a moment, desperate to remember...*)

KOKORO: Something tells me maybe I—

*DISTANT EXPLOSION*

MUSIC: "There's nothing we can't do, right?"

AO: Wh-what's going on?!

(*Ao jumps to her feet as Kokoro points into the distance.*)

KOKORO: Look! Over there...

*Loud buzzing*

(*The two look on as the horizon in front of them begins to distort, crossed in lines of static.*)

(*The buzz warps into a hollow ring as the familiar sight of the Faraway flashes into existence before them.*)

AO: That thing came out of nowhere.

AO: Is this normal here?

(*Ao looks to Kokoro whose surprise renders her silent for a moment as she stares on.*)

KOKORO: (shaking her head) No... I've never seen anything like it.

AO: What is it...?

*Phone notification*

(*Both of them jump in shock before pulling out their phones.*)

FreeSpace: Group Chat posted:

NOTIFICATION: ReSource joined the group.

RE-SOURCE: Hey! What have you done?!

(*It's profile picture is that of a chibi television with a smile.*)

AO: Who is this...?

(*Ao looks over to Kokoro, whose eyes are glued to her phone.*)

KOKORO: I have no idea...

KOKORO: ReSource...

KOKORO: Who are you?

RE-SOURCE: I'm ReSource! Your super-duper guide to help you with everything you need to live here!

AO: By "here," do you mean this world? Do you know something about this place?!

RE-SOURCE: As that has nothing to do with living here, I'm afraid I can't answer that!

AO: Aww... I thought you would tell us whatever we wanted...

KOKORO: So, what's that thing that suddenly appeared?

RE-SOURCE: That place is super dangerous! You should NOT, under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, go near it!

KOKORO: Dangerous? Why?

RE-SOURCE: Because it's connected to a different world from this one!

AO: A different world from this one?????

RE-SOURCE: Yes, so do not go near it! There's no telling what might happen if you do.

(*The excitement and tension dissolved, the music fades as Ao looks up from her phone with a dismal expression.*)

AO: Dangerous, huh...

(*She hangs her head, looking down into the water.*)

KOKORO: ...

KOKORO: We should go. To the other world.

AO: What?! But ReSource said it was dangerous...

KOKORO: But we might be able to get some clues there—about how you can get back to your world.

AO: ...!

(*Ao stares on in shocked realization as the flashback ends.*)

AO: (That's how we met ReSource.)

AO: That sure was a surprise, huh?

KOKORO: I wonder what made it appear...

(*She stands up, both of their gazes fixed upon the derelict building in the horizon. Kokoro looks down at the water for a moment, before looking to Ao.*)

KOKORO: Oh, maybe ReSource would know something.

AO: You think?

KOKORO: Yeah. Let's ask.

(*Kokoro gets up as well and pulls out her phone.*)

KOKORO: ReSource?

RE-SOURCE: Hello hello hello! How can I help you?

KOKORO: Why did that world appear all of a sudden?

RE-SOURCE: That has nothing to do with living here, so I'm afraid I can't answer that!

AO: Gimme a break!! 1

// Alternate Texts: 1 - "How rude!" //

YUKI: Yeah, you're mean!

AO: Oh, hey Yuki

YUKI: Hiya! Dinner's almost ready, get over here!

AO: Yes, ma'am!

(*The two put away their phones, Ao looking to Kokoro.*)

(*And she nods and smiles in response.*)

// And there we have it. The surprisingly unhelpful but chipper ReSource, the appearance of the Faraway, and more commentary from me than usual thanks to some overdue mechanical explanations. As it turns out, last update is where the demo would have ended, thus the fade out on the title and this update beginning with an actual chapter declaration. //

// A detail lost in translation is ReSource's way of speaking as even though it retains most of its upbeat nature, some of it is left behind. It ends it's texts with ♪ and ☆ constantly in Japanese, and otherwise there's an 80% chance it's using exclamation points to end everything! It's very excited! And happy! And not particularly helpful, evidently.

// Commentary vs. story will eventually find a balance in time, but I will always defer to the game's storytelling over my own. So any cutscene heavy segments will likely end up like last update with the large majority of commentary towards the end. Today's update was more of just a gameplay segment, and we'll definitely hit those. //

// A track we haven't heard yet briefly plays at the moment Kokoro suggests going into the Faraway despite the danger, "I Shall Go On", but I refrained from specifically linking it as it only plays for a handful of seconds before being replaced by "Bottled Message In the Sky". This isn't important to know, I just thought it flowed better without another link so shortly after. I hope you can forgive me for taking such creative liberties. :v: //

// As an aside, I love that Ao and Yuki just don't bother with proper punctuation sometimes in their texts. It's very fitting, but not as hard to read as super abbreviated texts might be. //

Journal: The Smell of Trouble posted:

I met a girl on the rooftop while I was lost in thought. I mentioned it to Kokoro, and she said they've spotted a girl around here who looks like a ghost. Could she really be a ghost? ...No way!

Just as we were talking about that, I got a message from Yuki. It sounds like there was a big problem. I better go see what happened.

Journal: The Case of the Missing Food posted:

All our ingredients just up and disappeared... I have no clue who the culprit is, but I know it wasn't me!

Well, guess we have no choice but to go and gather some more. We've got a certain quality of life to maintain here!

Journal: After School posted:

Problem solved! Quality of life restored! For now, at least. We still don't know why our ingredients disappeared in the first place...

Oh, wasn't I in the middle of talking to Kokoro earlier? I wonder if she's still on the pier.

Journal: The Mysteries of This World posted:

There are still so many things we don't know about this world. Especially about the Faraway. What is that place? Why did it appear? And then there's the thing that popped up at the same time the Faraway did... The mysterious account called ReSource. It says it's here to help us with what we need to live here, but I still don't know if I trust it.

The mysteries just keep piling up... For now, I should go see if they're done cooking.

PROFILES: Kokoro Utsubo / 靭こころ posted:

Birthday: ???

Height/Weight: ???

Dislikes: ???

Detailed Profile: The first girl that Ao encountered in this strange world. She's been living in the school with Rena and Yuki, and seems to be unable to recall anything prior to waking up here. She's mild-mannered and kind, but also surprisingly bold. She can't recall exactly why, but she remembers being drawn to the idea of a secret hideout.

// I couldn't put out Kokoro or Rena's profile before last update as they both talk about Yuki. We also don't get any information on them outside of the normal profile until their talent level rises and the story progresses. //

// Name Information:

靭 (utsubo) = soft, pliable, archery quiver
こころ (kokoro) = mind, heart, spirit

Notably, her given name isn't kanji- it's not for lack of a kanji to use, it just isn't written with any. This normally can have some implications of being unrefined or rarely a foreigner, but in this case the likely cause is that Kokoro does it as writing one's name in only hiragana is a very girly thing to do. As an added bonus, I suppose nobody will ever mistake it's pronunciation.

I guess it explains the heart effects on her victory pose. And of course, she is our ranged user. Those connections are obvious at least. //

[i]// Database entries on the monsters and items will be next update as it's a better time for it. When possible, I'll probably try to work them into the main update section as we come across them. //

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 4, 2023

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

So ReSource says not to go near things connected to "another world", even though everyone here is from another world. Unless...?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Never trust the AI that clearly knows more about what's going on but refuses to answer questions about it.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Especially when said AI seems to have popped into existence as a direct response to one of the girls attempting to remember something.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

LJN92 posted:

So ReSource says not to go near things connected to "another world", even though everyone here is from another world. Unless...?

You know, I don't think I noticed this until just now either. Huh, that's... kinda odd.

Although, who's to say how much we can really trust what's said by the thing that barged into the private chat with convenient timing?

Polsy posted:

Never trust the AI that clearly knows more about what's going on but refuses to answer questions about it.

Cattail Prophet posted:

Especially when said AI seems to have popped into existence as a direct response to one of the girls attempting to remember something.

...because I'll give you this, it is looking pretty sketchy at the moment.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Journal Entry 06: Our Inner Strength

VIDEO: Darkening Skies

(*We return to the view of a rainy sky at dusk, before cutting to Ao, Yuki, and Rena at the classroom table.*)

AO: (satisfied) Whew, that was great.

*Door slide*

KOKORO: Everybody! We have a problem!

AO: Whoa, what happened?! You're soaked...

KOKORO: Just come with me!

(*We return to find them at the top of the staircase on the second floor....*)

MUSIC: Blue Reflection - A Captive Heart

(*...And with it, a bucket in a puddle of water in the hallway just ahead.*)

RENA: What is this... A leak?

KOKORO: I noticed a crack in the floor of the roof. I think that's where the water is coming from.

AO: Well, we don't really use the second floor anyway. Can't we just leave it?

YUKI: (nodding) It'll dry once the rain stops, right?

*Phone notification*

AO: Hm? What's this?

FreeSpace: posted:

RE-SOURCE: You miiiiight not want to just leave it!

RE-SOURCE: The walls inside are susceptible to water damage! You don't want the school to fall apart, do you?!

RE-SOURCE: Taking proper care of leaks is key to a happy and comfy home!

YUKI: Wait, has ReSource been able to hear our conversations this whole time?!

RENA: How in the world...?

AO: (confused) Well...

RENA: (worried) How are we supposed to fix this thing?

AO: It's getting late. Let's pick this up again tomorrow.

AO: We can check the Faraway too. There might be something useful there.

KOKORO: (nodding) That's true.

YUKI: (gloomily) I wonder if it'll stop raining by then...

(*We fade to a view of the rainy sky once again, faintly lit up by the morning but with the rain unrelenting.*)

(*We find Ao watching the raindrops run down the windows, until...*)

*Door opening*

AO: How was it?

(*Ao and Rena are siting on the blue couch in the classroom as Yuki stands nearby.*)

KOKORO:(shaking her head) It still seems to be leaking.

(*Rena leans forward, crossing her legs as Yuki raises a hand to her chin.*)

YUKI: I guess we'll have to fix it properly after all.

AO: Should we go to the Faraway like we planned, then?

KOKORO: Yes. We need to find something we can use to fix it.

RENA: Watch the place while we're gone, Kinjou.

YUKI: Whaaaat! I wanna go too!

RENA: It's too dangerous. You know you can't fight.

YUKI: Ugh, why am I the only one who can't fight?

AO: (That's right... Yuki can't use her ring's powers, unlike the rest of us.)

AO: (It was our first time in the Faraway that we learned our rings had special powers.)

(*Ao looks down to her hands, the music fading out as we begin a flashback.*)

(*The girls standing in the Faraway with Ao up front with a blank expression and the others in shock behind her.*)

(*In front of them are two Erythros...!*)

MUSIC: "There's nothing we can't do, right?"

(*Ao finally processes what she's looking at-*)

(*-and they all flee. Yuki looks behind for a brief moment before closing her eyes and running even harder. *)

(*We catch up to them, exhausted, Yuki barely standing.*)

RENA: *Pant* *pant* What. Was that.

(*She looks in the direction they ran from.*)

AO: ...ReSource! Let's ask it!

YUKI: Good idea! Kokoro!

KOKORO: On it!

KOKORO: Um, ReSource?

RE-SOURCE: Hello hello hello! What's up?

KOKORO: So, you know that world we talked about before? Something crazy appeared...

RE-SOURCE: Didn't I tell you to stay away? That's what you get!

AO: Okay, we're sorry! Please, just help us!

RE-SOURCE: Well, you've already gone in, so no point in warning you anymore. Let me explain!

RE-SOURCE: Here in this world, hostile creatures known as demons will appear!

RE-SOURCE: They may look majorly scary, but don't worry! There's a way to deal with these pesky things!

AO: Really?

RE-SOURCE: Call forth your Reflector weapon by infusing the rings you're wearing with your feelings!

KOKORO: Reflector...?

RE-SOURCE: Oh, right. Ao, Kokoro, and Rena have the Reflector reaction, so they're the only ones who can use these weapons.

YUKI: Why am I the only one left out?!

*Shuffling behind*

(*The sound pulls Ao's attention, and she looks behind to see the demons have caught up!*)

YUKI: Wha—?! Hey, guys! I don't think this is a good time to talk! Demons!

RENA: So soon?!

YUKI: I think it's do or die time... Everyone use your rings! Well, everyone except me!

(*Ao, Rena, and Kokoro all look to their rings.*)

AO: Our rings...

RENA: What did they mean infuse our feelings?!

YUKI: I dunno! Just...feelings ya know? Like, a craving for ramen. Or cake! Whatever you can come up with!

RENA: All you think about is food!

(*Yuki is left speechless.*)

KOKORO: Feelings... Feelings...

AO: Feelings...

(*Everything goes white as the girls close their eyes and desperately try to infuse their feelings. *)

AO: I want to be somebody...

MUSIC: W.P. NEURONS

(*A hollow chime sounds out as the rings begin to glow brightly!*)

(*Three small spheres of light rise up from them...*)

(*Before suddenly transforming into their weapons!*)

KOKORO: ...Ah! What's happening?

AO: (...And that's how we discovered the powers the rings had.)

(*We return to the present day.*)

YUKI: No, I'm going too! It's so lonely here all by myself.

RENA: (worried)That's not the point...

AO: Well, there shouldn't be a problem if we just protect her. ...Right?

YUKI: Yaaaay! I love you, Ao!

AO: But if things get nasty, you have to run away. Got it?

YUKI: Yes, ma'am!

// The scene ends, and we're back in control of Ao in the classroom. //

AO: (I can doodle all I want on the chalkboard. It's a pretty fun way to pass the time.)

AO: (...I've already done enough today.)

AO: (I think I've got everything. I'll go find them.)

(*Rena and Kokoro are upstairs, trying to stave off the leak.*)

RENA: Maybe we can bring something useful back from the Faraway.

KOKORO: I wonder if we'll find any rice, or any other new ingredients.

AO: (She really wants that rice... I kinda do too.)

RENA: Go find Kinjou, we'll be done in a moment.

YUKI: Since I'm tagging along, I'll keep an eye out for stuff we might be able to use!

AO: Just be sure to hide if anything shows up.

YUKI: I know, I know! They'll never find me!

// The crew gathered, there's nothing left to do but head on to the Faraway. //

MUSIC: Faraway Jingle

// We have free rein to run about the Faraway in the usual area right now, but we don't have a need to. //

// Instead, we approach the makeshift barrier to trigger the next cutscene. //

VIDEO: Moving Forward

MUSIC: Kept Me Waiting

KOKORO: We've had a good look through this area, I doubt we'll find anything useful.

(*They all turn to look at the makeshift barricade.*)

AO: I guess that means we have to go this way...

RENA: That's where the powerful demon we saw before was. We blocked this off for a reason.

AO: Hm, I wonder...

*Phone notification*

RE-SOURCE: The power that all of you got is not simply a weapon!

RE-SOURCE: You can become anything you want with enough emotional energy!

RE-SOURCE: Now, try transforming! Unlock the true power of a Reflector!

YUKI: Transform...? What does that mean...?

KOKORO: I don't know... I guess we have more power that we can use?

RENA: It's possible...

AO: Either way, we're a lot more used to fighting now. We should be okay to continue in.

KOKORO: (nodding) I think we should give it a try.

AO: All right then, here we go.

(*We cut to Kokoro and Rena talking in the foreground as Ao watches Yuki attempt to lift the car.*)

(*Cut again. They're still discussing, Rena pointing at something offscreen. Yuki is lying face down on the ground, exhausted as Ao attempts the car herself.*)

(*Cut again. Rena now exasperated, as Ao joins Yuki on the ground with Kokoro watching over them. The car has at least been moved...?*)

(*A final cut to Ao and Yuki scrambling away as Rena yells at them. *)

*Rustling, crumbling*

(*At last, the barrier is gone and the path forward is open.*)

AO: All right then, here we go.

(*They start to walk onwards...*)

*Agitated roar*

(*One of the dog-like demons appears!*)

RENA: There it is! Kinjou, hide!

(*She's already running off camera in panic as the three draw their weapons.*)

AO: Come on, guys! We can do this!

VIDEO: Gear Tutorial

VIDEO: Anoia Tapir - Deathwish

// We are tossed into a battle immediately. The first video shows a normal tutorial, but the second is what I'm going to use for the next segment- a battle against this same kind of enemy on Deathwish difficulty. I end up sandbagging towards the end in both for reasons that may be apparent soon. //

MUSIC: W.P. NEURONS

// Trust me when I say this is nothing like the first tutorial fight in the game. The Anoia Tapir, a regular enemy following this, is tough to deal with on such a high difficulty. //

// Our attacks do very little as usual, and the enemy has even more HP than Hard. //

// But we now have Gear shifting in our arsenal. Basically, as we build up Ether recovery speed, we hit a new gear. This ups our maximum Ether and even changes what skills we have to use. Ether maximum is always 1000 times the current Gear (2 * 1000 in this case). //

// Enemies have Gears as well, and given Deathwish, our enemy has started at 3 already. Gear 3 is the highest anyone can go right now. //

// Both of the Tapir's attacks do high damage, but nothing special aside from nearly one-shotting us on this difficulty. //

RENA: Don't push yourself too hard!

// With a higher Ether maximum, we can also queue in multiple attacks. This not only reduces the delay between attacks, it also lets us build up significant stagger on the enemy. //

AO: This is our chance! Press the advantage!

// Once an enemy or one of the girls gets fully staggered (represented by the glowing circle around them), they'll go into Knockdown.//

// A knocked down combatant is kicked back to 0 EP, kicked down a Gear level, and is slowed down to the point of inaction for a short time.

All stagger is recovered upon taking an action, therefore the need to queue up a number of attacks in short succession. //

// But Gear is the focus of this battle, and something special happens when one of the girls hits 3. More than the usual golden flash and ether changes... //

(*As Kokoro's gear increases, we get a transition covered in pink hearts...!*)

KOKORO: Come to me, other self!

(*She raises her rifle to the now blackened sky, firing it!*)

(*Huge wings of bright orange light emerge from her back!*)

(*We see this from two other angles before...*)

(*The wings wrap around...!*)

(*And she emerges in an entirely new outfit of sliced open black leather, many straps, belts, and zippers. The only remaining detail of her old look being the red plaid of her skirt, crossed halfway into her top and new skirt.*)

(*Her hair has also gone to a shade of pink, and her eyes a reddish-violet, similar to the scarlet energy that occasionally pulses around her.*)

(*Ao similarly lights up in orange light as the screen transitions in an upwards fall of light violet feathers!*)

(*She raises her scythe back...*)

(*And cuts open a dark violet vortex in reality, cracking the air and sending it away in shards of glass!*)

(*She embraces the violet lightning and energy bursting forth...!*)

AO: Special... this is it!

(*Ao's outfit changes into a black minidress, covered in heart motifs accented by a blue green color and violet plaid. White gloves and heeled boots to contrast alongside her now blonde hair. *)

(*A glowing heart on her chest spreads out in cracks, and a single wing of sparkling violet energy pulses as she throws her arm back.*)

(*As Rena too hits third gear, a transition of shamrocks fall across the screen...*)

RENA: Time for the real performance!

(*Rena lifts her sparkling hoop into the air above, where it remains floating...!*)

(*She raises her arms into the air as chain-like rings surround her...!*)

(*And her outfit changes to a plaid minidress overlaid in drapes of pitch-black! The sides have many slashes of glowing light blue through them, while the front of the dress and her hands are accented by a large golden filigree, almost bone-like in appearance.*)

(*Her eyes have taken on a shade of light green, much lighter than the energy around her, and her hair has gone white towards the tips.*)

// You weren't expecting magical girls, were you? The tapir stands little chance at this point, of course. And the fight is pretty much over by the time everyone hits Gear 3. It's actually a significant challenge to not win before everyone transforms. //

MUSIC: DAYDREAM

AO: (playfully) Another trivial thing cut down... wouldn't you say?

// And some shots of the level up profile and scenes to show off the new outfits some more. //

VIDEO: Reflector Reaction

YUKI: Whoa, what was that!?

AO: I-I don't know! Before I knew it, my clothes were all different!

(*Ao looks down at her body, clothes back to normal. *)

KOKORO: (excitedly) But I felt so strong.

AO: Yeah... My body felt so light, it was like I could do anything.

(*Ao closes her eyes, holding her hands over her heart.*)

RENA: We should be able to continue even further in like this.

YUKI: (complaining) Aww, that's so cool! I wanna transform too!

(*With this the girls look ahead to the path beyond.*)

(*Just ahead down the path, a strange and spiky object floats off the ground. It shines as it reflects the sunlight.*)

VIDEO: Lasting Friendship

AO: What is this...?

(*The girls all stare at it, thinking. It's a ball of a few sharp, triangular points with each of the ends glowing in blue lights.*)

KOKORO: I wonder if it's safe to touch it...

AO: Let's see here...

(*Ao begins to walk forward.*)

(*She reaches out to touch it and it flashes with a soft white light, chiming in response!*)

AO: Whoa!

(*Everything goes white...*)

UNKNOWN: Are you okay?! You're not hurt, are you?

UNKNOWN: ...No, I'm fine. Sorry to always make you do this.

UNKNOWN: No need to apologize. We're friends, aren't we?

(*As the voices speak, they fade in and out, making it difficult to hear them.*)

AO: Wh-what was that?!

YUKI: Did you guys hear that voice?

KOKORO: (sadly) It almost sounded like someone's memories.

RENA: Just what exactly is this world...

AO: Maybe these are the memories we lost?

RENA: Impossible. There's no way.

(*Everyone begins to walk on, but...*)

KOKORO: ...

// Surprise, it's magical girls! And they've got some really out-there outfits. At the very least, this provides some context for the splashscreen and boxart, although what it and the Reflector forms symbolize have yet to be seen. //

// Still, you wouldn't believe how many takes I had to do of the Tapir fight to get one where Rena got a chance to transform. Right nowShe has a slow Ether acceleration by comparison to the two DPS girls she plays support for, so she's usually last to hit her transformation, if at all. //

// The Gear system changing up your moveset as combat gets faster and faster is one of the more fun parts of the game's combat, and it should start to shine later when we've got a more varied selection of moves. I'll talk about our attacks, what their names translate to, and a bit more on combat strategy after this chapter is over. That's where I'll start talking about items we pick up, enemies, and crafting as well. //

// The depths of the Faraway (and one of the best songs in the game) await us... next time. //

Journal: To the Faraway posted:

The school's roof has sprung a leak after the rain yesterday. We were going to fix it up properly, but it looks like we don't have all the materials we need on hand. Guess it's time to visit the Faraway again and see what we can find.

PROFILES: Rena Miyauchi / 宮内伶那 posted:

Birthday: ???

Height/Weight: ???

Dislikes: ???

Detailed Profile: One of the girls who was already residing in this world before Ao arrived. She seems to be unable to recall anything prior to waking up here. As the kind of person who says whatever is on her mind, she often finds herself scolding the more cheerful and carefree Ao and Yuki.

// Name Information:

宮 (miya) = shrine, palace, constellations, princess
内 (uchi) = within, inside, home,

伶 (re) = actor
那 (na) = Kanji that's just "na", sometimes used in names. Online English dictionaries will frequently mark it as being part of "nani" (what?) but this is for historical and/or Chinese reasons. A thanks goes to Polsy for clearing that up.

There's nothing immediately obvious to Rena's name right now, only leaving guesses to be made. Again, we lack any particular info on the other girls for quite a while. Regardless, she remains the very serious person she's always been while at the same time somewhat taking the role of team mom. //

// The game does feature a photo mode, and while limited in some regards, you can still make some good scenes with it. So have a group shot looking out over the cliff of the Faraway... just because. I may make more as the LP goes on, it's pretty fun to do. //

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jul 15, 2023

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
I apologize if these are coming out a bit slowly, between various life problems asking for my attention and an entire week of sleeping about 4 -5 hours thanks to insomnia, I have been struggling. If anything, I'm amazed I have managed even the slightest amount of productivity, let alone the amount of work I've managed to get done in spite of everything.

Can't stop me that easily though. Hopefully this will all clear up and I can get a proper backlog started. I've already recorded up into late Chapter 1 and making the updates will get a bit easier once we get there too.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Odd Wilson posted:

(*And she emerges in an entirely new outfit of sliced open black leather, many straps, belts, and zippers. The only remaining detail of her old look being the red plaid of her skirt, crossed halfway into her top and new skirt.*)

What is this, a Final Fantasy game?

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
Something i really like about all the magical girl outfits is that they maintain the colors of their school uniforms, as well as the plaid from their ties or skirts.

It's a cute touch that makes the outfit feel consistent with their usual vibes.

Edit: just repeating what Odd said, whoops. My reading comprehension sucks. Outfits still cute, Rena's is my fave

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

LJN92 posted:

Believe me, I was resisting writing a reference to Tetsuya Nomura there. It's a couple oversized zippers and maybe a loose belt strap off being at that point. :v:

Sinner Sandwich posted:

Something i really like about all the magical girl outfits is that they maintain the colors of their school uniforms, as well as the plaid from their ties or skirts.

It's a cute touch that makes the outfit feel consistent with their usual vibes.

Edit: just repeating what Odd said, whoops. My reading comprehension sucks. Outfits still cute, Rena's is my fave

Well, I didn't really bring too much attention to it outside of the description, but retaining the color combinations is something I particularly like as well. The color theme keeps the characters recognizable even in the more drastic changes, and they're weaved in as primary parts of the outfit and not just relegated to something smaller. I mean, even speaking of Kokoro's again, as the white from her shirt is completely swapped out for a much larger focus on black, the red plaid remains the eye catcher (especially with the asymmetry). Kokoro's the only one here with the red plaid, so it makes a quick connection.

Rena's is probably my favorite as well- it comes together really nicely, and I think it's just the minor asymmetry with one side of the black layer being longer that works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

LJN92 posted:

I was thinking more Kingdom Hearts, especially with the edging on the black drapes on the one outfit reminding me of the Nobody aesthetic.