Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Such a great series. Books 4 and 5 in particular were favorites of mine.

"Munchings and crunchings" were always beef jerky in my mind, lack of crunch notwithstanding, and I always had a supply on hand when reading these as a kid so I could munch and crunch along with the group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

I'm having a lot of fun reading this for the first time in years. Thanks for posting it in full!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

In my mind he looks like the more animal / demon-y versions of Yallery Brown, somewhere between the Wikipedia and Eric Kincaid versions

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Medwyn's offer to Taran is interesting given the events and ending of book 5. I have to assume Lloyd Alexander knew the general beats and such, but how much does Medwyn know about Taran? Does he make that offer because he knows Taran would refuse? (Because if he did decide to stay with Medwyn, the repercussions would be pretty bad for everyone and everything).

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Same with Gurgi's infinite wallet of food tbh. And maybe Eilonwy's ring? I don't remember but there's a vague sense that it comes into play in book 3.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

I appreciate that Alexander made the Huntsman an equally awful threat as the Cauldron Born. The idea that they're all bonded by dark magic into small hunting packs and that killing one of them just diffuses their strength across the survivors so that if you somehow whittle them down enough you end up with like one guy with the combined strength of ten men is very daunting.

The Cauldron Born are an enemy you cannot kill. The Huntsmen are an enemy you don't want to kill.

I can't help but wonder though -- if they really are the worst of the worst, why wouldn't some of them go all Jet Li in The One. Kill the rest of your crew and become almighty.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Comstar posted:

What I found weird is that he didn’t tell anyone a last message to his fiancée.

With him knowing what was coming, seems a bit rude of him.

Probably left a letter with his manservant or chief of staff or something. "If I don't make it back" type of thing. Better than trusting a rando to deliver one gasped-out sentence.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I loved loved loved these as a kid. Reading them now, the dialogue seems so stilted and forced? But maybe it's intentional, kind of harkens back to legends and myths, how heroes and gods talk in the Iliad and such.

I do remember book 3 being my least favorite of the series, it'll be interesting to see if that's still the case.

Huge thanks to Wahad for the posts. It's so easy to drop out after awhile on a big thankless project like this. Hope you know that you're appreciated!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I kind of hate the message that nobility by right of blood is a more valuable thing than becoming a ruler due to having the skill for it. Wanting to know your parents and heritage is all well and good but there's definitely some outdated British monarchy-worship in there.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Lich immortality fascinated me as a child. I wondered, what if Taran beheaded Morda? Or put him in a vat of acid? Or dropped a 10 ton boulder on him? What are the rules here.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

The High King has a very emotional and complete finale with its epilogue and the way it rounds out the whole series, but I don't any other book out of the five sticks the landing as perfectly as Taran Wanderer does.

Looking forward to The High King, it's the first book to make me cry (when I thought Eilonwy would be forced to leave Taran).

Where the Red Fern Grows came very very close to taking that honor a few years earlier but I did the "don't blink" trick and kept those tears right in my eye sockets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Desperate for the next chapters!

I do feel like "A Smoit!" may not be the most ferocious or intimidating of warcries though.