Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Taran learning the paramount rule of Prydain, not to infringe on anyone’s mysterious ambiguity.

Thank you so much for posting these, they’re bringing back all sorts of wonderful and amusing memories, like my childhood tendency to mix up Lloyd Alexander and Christopher Lloyd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Poor guy just needs to shake those stress dreams.

Original post hidden for flying too close to spoilers, if my vague memories are correct.
I heard he’s only two battle campaigns away from retirement, the lucky duck.

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 29, 2023

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
As stupid as it is, I can’t shake the image of the heroes solving the puzzle of the Huntsmen by treating them like Monty Python’s Black Knight.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Sticking a thumb scalded with drops of wisdom potion into his mouth to cool it is also part of the legendary biography of the real-world figure Taliesin in The Tale of Taliesin (pre-dated by the Book of Taliesin).

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
What a cliffhanger!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
If we go a month without Wahad returning, I might be able to pick up posting the Chronicles. Here's hoping they've just been inconvenienced for a couple of weeks, though.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Thank you for the posting, Wahad. The sorrow of these books certainly hits harder as an adult than as a kid, when I was much more focused on the adventure and supernatural stuff.

Looking forward to the next book, which features likely my favorite character in the series.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Here's to Prince Rhun, able to unravel Taran's character development into utter cattiness.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Finally, Fflewdur finds an appreciative audience.

I have to admit, while I remembered Llyan (but forgot her name), Glew had entirely leaked out of my memory.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Aw yeah, it's arts and crafts time.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Probably the best outcome Taran could have hoped for. If he’d agreed to give up the sword, it’s easy to imagine Dorath continuing to push for payment until he hit on something that would really pain Taran to relinquish.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
It’s weird, Morda is the one that I remembered as the notable villain of this book, when it’s Dorath who’s responsible for so much of the conflicts which push Taran forward.

I guess turning the main characters into animals counted for more to my kid mind.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Wahad posted:

Chapter 5: The Watcher
The bard beamed happily. "Experience, Princess. Long experience. But never fear. Such wisdom will come to you, in time."
Is this the only time in the series that Fflewdur even comes this close to being condescending to one of his companions?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Taliesin is well-written (like all the characters), but in retrospect, it’s kind of odd that he’s so low-key, considering his… panache, for want of a better term, in virtually every legend in which he appears.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
All this week I’ve been wishing there was a complete online archive of Cricket Magazine. My sister passed down her copies from when the magazine would pick one color to use with the otherwise monochrome illustrations, and I remember there being some fantastic stories in those issues.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

filmcynic posted:

This is great, thanks. I was going to ask this after the books were finished (and probably still should), but does anyone have any recommendations for Alexander's other work?
I remember The Iron Ring being good, if a little… blatant with its moralizing at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
This whole situation would be a lot simpler if Glew were a giant.