Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
Taran Wanderer was my favourite. I'm really happy to revisit the books after all these years.

The structure of these chapters are more formal than I remember them being, but supported by very solid and consistent writing and the characterization is excellent and distinctive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
Many thanks again for posting, it was a great read. Looking forward to the Castle of Llyr!

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
That is an excellent book, still holds up to my childhood memory. It's very difficult to write a principled, thoughtful book without being cloying, preachy, or didactic but Alexander did it well.

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
For me it was this that stuck with me for all these years.

quote:

"What lacks?" he cried to Annlaw. "I could forge a sword well enough and weave a cloak well enough. But now, what I truly long to grasp is beyond my reach. Must the one skill I sought above all be denied me?" he burst out in an anguished voice. "Is the gift forbidden me?" He bowed his head, and his heart froze even as he spoke the words, for he knew, within himself, he had touched the truth. Annlaw did not gainsay him, but only looked at him for a long while with deep sadness.

The parts with Llonio and in the Commot are so, so good. Rereading it, I expected each part would me much longer, they've stuck in my memory so well.

Nine paths are offered to Taran, by my count:

Farmer
    King
    Enchanter
    Shepherd
    Gatherer
    Smith
    Weaver
    Potter
    Guard