Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Yeah this is great to reread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
This upcoming scene and Gurgi might be all I remember from the first book. Then it's a giant gap in my memory until the last book.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

regulargonzalez posted:

I kind of hate the message that nobility by right of blood is a more valuable thing than becoming a ruler due to having the skill for it. Wanting to know your parents and heritage is all well and good but there's definitely some outdated British monarchy-worship in there.

I think Taran thinks so, but Smoit pretty clearly tells him to cut that poo poo out and reinforces that his offer to Taran stands regardless of the quests outcome.

I think Taran is also conflating his desire to find his family and heritage with a desire to find that he is secretly a prince or whatever.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
It would be funny if Taran just never, ever used it because he had a typical hoarding consumables syndrome.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I remember none of this book and I think as a kid it probably escaped me, but this is excellent .

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Yesss. This was my favorite of the books as a kid. I'm excited to see how it holds up. (Probably quite well given the rest of the series, and Taran Wanderer is much much better than I used to think. )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Hemp Knight posted:

I like how the battle is written as complete chaos, and Eilonwy finally gets to be in some fighting. Taran and all the others are fairly sexist/patronising to her (yes, I know it’s these are 60 year old books)

In fairness, I don't think its written in a way that makes Taran look good for being so, or Eilonwy bad for fighting. If anything, she comes off as being correct in her choices and Taran as being sexist.