Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

These books were a staple of my childhood, long before I ever knew what the Mabinogion was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Alexander's version of Gwydion is a lot more like Tolkien's Strider than he is the rather sleazy trickster figure in the Mabinogion, much like Alexander's Arawn is more like Sauron than he is the Arawn who appears in the Mabinogion's "Pwyll, Prince of Dyfed."

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I'm pretty sure Achren is derived from Arianrhod in the Mabinogion, especially since she's associated with Caer Sidi, the Revolving Castle, which Alexander turns into Spiral Castle. In the Mabinogion, Arianrhod and Gwydion are enemies as well, although Arianrhod actually has some pretty good reasons to hate Gwydion rather than just being an evil sorceress.

Caer Sidi was a metaphor for the band of the zodiac; you can also see the association in Arianrhod's name, which means "silver wheel."

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Wahad posted:

Chapter 9: Fflewddur Fflam

We meet Fflewddur Fflam! Despite all the double consonants, I'm like 80% sure it's just pronounced "FLEW-dur Flam." And we once again see Taran leaping to conclusions and having to apologize afterwards. Communication is important, kids!

My knowledge of Welsh pronunciation is 100% derived from Susan Cooper's "The Dark Is Rising" books, but my recollection is that ew is pronounced like the English oo and dd is pronounced like th. So, kinda like "Floothur Flam"?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

For me, it's the Evaline Ness covers or nothing.

As for Gurgi, there's a character named Gwrgi who appears in the Triads a few times, but he doesn't seem to have much relation to our Gurgi other than being sort of animal-like.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

We don't get that kind of "not good, only amazing" cover art any more, and the world is poorer for it. Lookit dat PIGGY!

They get overlooked a lot, but Alexander also wrote, and Ness illustrated, a couple of picture books set in Prydain -- Coll and His White Pig (where Hen Wen gets kidnapped, again, and Coll has to save her) and The Truthful Harp (about how Fflewddur got his harp). Worth seeking out for kids who can't handle chapter books yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Alexander is cribbing a bit from the story of Finn McCool and the Salmon of Wisdom here. (Although in some versions of the story I've seen, Finn still has to stick his thumb in his mouth to access the wisdom he gained from the fish.)