Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Man, this is great. Like many others these were maybe my favourite books as a child. Read them over and over again.

In retrospect, the comparison of Gwydion to Aragorn/Strider is very apt. And yes, in the Mabinogion he's much more of a wizard/trickster and honestly a bit of a dirtbag.

I think the books themselves are very much children's books in terms of the protagonist and his heroes journey (is bildingsroman the word?) But the writing holds up and would not be particularly out of place in a genre book for adults. Very effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Strategic Tea posted:

I think Terry Goodkind had more of a 'what if Gollum, but Gollum' character. God even to 13yo me those books were... unoriginal.

While Terry Goodkind is (was?) indeed terrible, the real LotR rip-off is the Sword of Shannara, a very direct cut and paste job right down to a not-aragorn, a not-gandalf etc, and the two yokels (who are at least humans this time, not hobbits) get separated from their group and go off into the bad guy's lair alone, followed by this gnarly little poo poo who's obsessed with the titular sword, which is the one ring stand-in. Like it really is the LotR trilogy to a blatant degree. I think it was extremely commercially successful, I even read an article once that credited it with beginning the modern boom of fantasy publishing.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Wahad posted:

Chapter 15: King Eiddileg

Good news, the party didn't drown. Bad news, they've been kidnapped.

We meet Eiddileg, King of the Tylwyth Teg - the welsh version of the Fair Folk / Aes Sídhe of the folklore of the British isles. The Tylwyth Teg are said to have five species, of sorts; the Elves, the Fairies of the Mines (here as dwarves), the household fairies (similar to brownies), the fairies of the lakes (here as the Lake Sprites) and the fairies of the mountains, who are more spooky, like hags. I don't know if Eiddileg is directly lifted from folklore, I couldn't find any information on him, but I love the character Alexander gives him here.

We found Hen Wen, y'all!

I did not remember all these little episodes in the first book! Definitely jumps around a bit, the put-upon bureaucrat as the fairy king is not something I would have fully understood/appreciated as a child.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Wahad posted:

The end

A great finish! Really takes me back to reading them as a kid. Amongst the nice and worthy life lessons, I don't remember noticing this before: "Dallben interrupted his meditations to be present at the feast; though soon after the festivities, he withdrew to his chamber and was not seen for some time." Mysterious old sage being mysterious? Or an old chap having a nap after a large lunch? Could be a nice little glimpse of his down to earth humanity.

Really will get these for my son when he's old enough. I can see why they are so enduringly popular as YA books.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Wahad posted:

Chapter 7: Kaw

Too bad.

A spooky marsh, you say? Well, wouldn't be an adventure series without one.

Off to the Marshes of Morva we go! Adaon seems to know more than he's letting on, too - though whether that is in Taran's favor remains to be seen.

Wow, Ellidyr is such a dick. "Go and warm your courage by the fire". It's not even that he needs to go and be a hero, Taran has the same problem there, it's that he needs to put down his erstwhile comrades while he does it.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
All consistently high quality stuff, as Taran continues to very slowly and painfully learn wisdom. I do think the danger and adventure as mere set dressing are pretty evident in that passage though. These fantastically bad, dangerous Huntsmen ambush our heroes, attack them, wound the most dangerous one, and then simply exit stage left, vainly pursuing some of them. The remaining heroes bimble off for some more dialogue and wild camping.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

I always got the impression that Adaon was around the same age as Taran and the rest, maybe a little older like 17 or 18 to Taran and Eilonwy's 15, just a really well put together 17 year old thanks to his magic brooch powers. Flwedder's kind of the odd one out being this weirdo 20 or 30 something dude hanging around with a bunch of teenagers all the time, but he's basically as close as the group gets to adult supervision whenever Gwydion's not around.

This is one of the other things that I can no longer suspend my disbelief around as an adult, looking back at books for kids. There's always some reason the adolescent protagonist(s) have a critical role to play and can make big decisions. Whereas in real life almost any adult present would seize control of the situation - it's completely unreasonable the Fllewddur, who seems to be an eccentric but relatively competent chap, would just let the goodhearted but inexperienced pigkeeper make the decisions. Age and experience do matter, although I fully see the point of teaching young readers to believe in themselves and imagine they could be the hero given the chance.

nine-gear crow posted:

That is perhaps one of the valid criticisms you can lobby against most of the books is that, due to the age range of their prospective readers, a lot of the dangers the characters face in them lack teeth. At least until a certain point in Book 4, Book 5 definitely.

Still Adaon's dead now, so they're not loving around THAT much...

Yeah there's a couple more personal confrontations Taran has in Book 4 that I remember being much more personal, and of course Book 5 has a darker tone.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I'll be honest, I can't exactly remember how the story moves on from this bit. But in a sense the heroes can go back now and report success - the cauldron is beyond Arawn's grasp, with powers which I really don't think he could recover it from again.

That's not what happens, but I'm damned if I can recall why or how.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Morgant you absolute knob.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Wow, I am consistently reminded that what I remember from reading these as a child, is the actual plot. I definitely didn't consciously absorb most of the lessons Taran is explicitly told about trusting in yourself, doing the right thing, etc etc

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Wahad posted:

I think Rhun's bumbling fool thing getting in the way of Taran at critical moments like this does a lot to lessen this book's impact. It's just kind of...annoying?

Perhaps there is some sort of lesson about tolerating others and seeing the good in them? If so, it's unintentionally making the opposite point: some people are liabilities, and although you shouldn't be mean to them, they are best left out of important tasks.

Mind you, Taran himself fills that role to Gwydion, at least until it all comes good in the end.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Wahad posted:

No post today, or the coming week, as I am going on vacation! Chapters resume October 7th.

A well earned break! Don't get kidnapped.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Coca Koala posted:

We draw closer to the secret of the bauble!

And I'm damned if I can remember what it is! Or how this book gets to the conclusion, either.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Glew is just a grade-A pillock.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Another nice lesson for kids that I completely brushed over as a child myself.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
The thing is Gwydion in the actual Mabinogion, and I assume in other traditional Welsh mythology, isn't really that traditional a hero. He's kind of an Odysseus figure, a man of twists and schemes. Which I guess isn't entirely at odds with his portrayal in the books, he does disguise himself etc.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I think Achren's threat to kill Eilonwy if the heroes don't comply rings a bit hollow. I mean her whole world domination plan is based on leveraging Eilonwy's power. So surely killing her would be self-destructive? I'm surprised Gwydion doesn't call her bluff.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Aww yiss. This is the big one, folks.

Oh yeah.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I don't think I particularly got it when I was a kid, I was more rooting for Taran to finally win a fight, but the book is full of the lesson that growing up isn't about being a hero, it's about learning to find your own way and develop some sort of skills and self-reliance. They really are very educational books.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Great stuff; I really liked King Smoit when I read these as a child. As an adult I see the slightly performative nature of the cantrev lords' violence. We've just been introduced to the impact of casualties with Aeddan's son and how his death affected his parents. Yet now, we have Goryon and Gast 'fighting' but it clearly won't be resolved before Smoit gets there and there isn't much sense of the bloodshed. It's a bit hollywood, everyone clashes their swords together and a few men on each side roll dramatically on the ground to make it look good. But when the smoke clears everyone seems to be OK.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

regulargonzalez posted:

I kind of hate the message that nobility by right of blood is a more valuable thing than becoming a ruler due to having the skill for it. Wanting to know your parents and heritage is all well and good but there's definitely some outdated British monarchy-worship in there.

Well I don't know about that, Smoit explicitly derides the idea - better a wise pig-keeper than a foolish prince of the blood - so I think the text is more saying that Taran does cling to that idea from his inferiority complex, but the important bit to him, as he gains wisdom, is finding out the truth and wondering whence he came. Of course what he's really doing is discovering his own nature via the journey.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Amen. And I thought Mordant was a knob!

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
What's odd to me is I'd have said this one was my favourite book in the series, and I certainly read it over and over again. Yet I didn't remember this Morda at all. I remember all the fable-type lessons Taran gets (e.g. Goryon and Gast) and my memory of the book's main antagonist is a character that hasn't appeared yet.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

It would be funny if Taran just never, ever used it because he had a typical hoarding consumables syndrome.

Or because most people can't remember and perfectly reproduce 3 distinct notes on an instrument they were never taught how to play! Rather a difficult item to use IMO.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

And thus we cross the "Yeah, but nobody actually dies in these books" threshold...

Ah, Dorath. Now this prick I remember.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Lol. I mean, we can see as adults that we're not at the end of the book. If I'm honest, I don't remember reading it for the first time, just re-reading it. But on the face of it . . . what a twist!

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Another nice (and rather more cheerful) lesson. I do question how well you can feed and clothe a family by that kind of foraging though, and you certainly might hesitate before taking in two adult strangers to share the food!

For that matter, didn't Gurgi used to have an everlasting pouch of food? Seems like it might have come in handy here.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Hemp Knight posted:

Interesting question.

No doubt the description of Llonio’s lifestyle is romanticised a bit (in reality it’d be somewhat harder work than described, and likely require hunting of deer, rabbits, etc to feed the family), but I’ve read elsewhere that the hunter/gatherer life is actually easier than farming. While farming is more reliable as a source of food, it’s also much harder and more time consuming. Hunter/gatherers apparently only need to work for something like 4 hours a day to feed a family.

That's a fair point though. I think you would need to be at least semi-nomadic though, because you'd forage out your local environment otherwise. I also think it might only be viable in certain environments - not sure I'd like to try it in 'basically Wales' which is what Prydain is.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Comstar posted:

Does that not describe Gilgamesh’s best buddy Enriqu(?)?

Enkidu?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Wahad posted:

Chapter 20: The Spoilers
"Your count is amiss," Taran interrupted. "You are not seven, but nine. Gurgi and I stand with you."

gently caress yeah! It was cool in the 3 Musketeers and it's cool here. Perhaps a less applicable life lesson for kids than some of the other stuff in the book about personal development. But it's interesting to see how personal courage, and the willingness to share risk or sacrifice for others, is kind of an underpinning virtue throughout Taran's journey.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

silvergoose posted:

It's pretty applicable for standing up for peers who are being bullied at school. Not in direct fights, sure, but just showing that the out group is stronger than expected can be enough to deter such things.

That's a good point!

Darthemed posted:

It’s weird, Morda is the one that I remembered as the notable villain of this book, when it’s Dorath who’s responsible for so much of the conflicts which push Taran forward.

I guess turning the main characters into animals counted for more to my kid mind.

How odd, for me I had forgotten Morda completely, whereas Dorath loomed large in my imagination. I remember how much I wanted Taran to have decisively beaten him in both their fights.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Definitely some foreshadowing scattered about in these opening chapters!

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Magg, you snivelling snake in the grass!

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Strategic Tea posted:

What a Prydick!

LOL

Beefeater1980 posted:

Tactical Turnip Troops.

E: These chapters are so good, with the building up of Pryderi as the solution and his sudden reveal as a proud rear end in a top hat. All the while seeing Taran keep growing.

I feel like we have been here before with Morgant in The Black Cauldron. Definitely a common message that pride and strength in war are a dangerous combination. I'd be very interested to look up the author's biography and see what he was up to during WW2.

Coca Koala posted:

This book does an amazing job of just feeling like an ending at every turn. The events really do feel like they're moving towards a climax after which Things Will Be Changed.

I completely agree with this. It is a wonderful capstone to the more YA books that build up to it.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

filmcynic posted:

I just wanted to echo the rest of the thread, and thank you for posting these. I devoured these books as a kid, and it's been an absolute joy realizing that they're even better than I remembered.

This is great, thanks. I was going to ask this after the books were finished (and probably still should), but does anyone have any recommendations for Alexander's other work?

There was one which was about a fictionalised version of the Tang dynasty I think? A boy emperor gets deposed and goes on a sort of odyssey across his kingdom. The Journey of prince Jen or Yen or something?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Comstar posted:

I dunno. Trying to slow down an army of undead by defending one wall and they just walk around it and then spending an hour in digging a grave does not seem an optimal military solution.

I’m not sure why the undead decided to go into the mountains either so perhaps both sides are a bit brain dead.

Their military efforts convinced young me given the suspension of disbelief.

But yeah as an adult I think they'd all just get massacred. But maybe that's because I'm imagining the cauldron-born as tireless zombies? Which would obviously just exhaust all the defenders in an hour or two, then slaughter them. But it is sort of implied that they are tiring in some slightly inhuman way, they can't simply keep trying to get over the wall until they succeed.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Wahad posted:

Who's idea was it to take Glew along, again?

Bloody Glew again. I forget what the moral of this particular pimple is. Does he come good at the end of the story? Or is it just to tell young readers that some people are poo poo and you have to be patient?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Wahad posted:

Chapter 14: Daylight
Now where have we heard that before?

As the prophecy foretold!

Nice to see that scumbag Dorath get his just desserts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Comstar posted:

I dunno. For being a boss monster in several novels he died practically without a wimper or monologue.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Taren never even notices he’s gone.

Eh, he got his throat torn out by a wolf. I think the details of the description are occluded in line with the YA audience of the books. Most violence in them seems to be portrayed that way, people bloodlessly expire like an early 20th century swashbuckling movie. But it's definitely not a lovely way to go.