Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

A lot of the themes are instructional lessons for children, such as our recurring lessons about first impressions being misleading - Coll the farmer, Gwydion being a regular dude, Gurgi - but the writing is solid.

I still love these books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Wahad posted:

Chapter 5: The Broken Sword

We see a little more of Gwydion's skills - in addition to being an accomplished warrior, he also has some magic at his command! Alas, it is not enough to fend off the Cauldron-Born, that were first mentioned last chapter. They're...zombies, of a sort, as we see here, able to shrug off mortal wounds pretty easily. Very spooky.

Our heroes are captured by Achren - another enchanter, on the side of the bad guys this time. Taran's easily impressed - and once again his preconceptions are almost his ruin - but Gwydion's having none of it, and she doesn't like that quite so much. I love Achren as a character, for reasons we'll see later, but for now, she's a clear and present danger to our heroes - and particularly Gwydion, as she doesn't seem to have a very high opinion of Assistant Pig-Keepers.

Worth noting that Gwydion had a short bout with preceptions assuming that Taran was just being a dumbass instead of realizing Taran was trying to protect him, but he quickly realized the truth and changed his ways.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

nine-gear crow posted:

Probably my favourite chapter in the entire series :allears:. The guy who effortlessly sacked the capital of Prydain and killed the High King shows up with his crew to raze a tiny farm in the middle of nowhere, encounters a real wizard with a real divine artifact in his care and just gets erased from existence in three sentences.

Yes, it's a cheap way of dealing with a villain who vastly outstrips the heroes in power and who they could never defeat in a fair fight, but it's no less awesome to see it go down.

It doesn't feel cheap because its the exact kind of dumb poo poo you expect Pryderi to do.

I also interpreted the "cannot kill" line less as Dallben not having the power to do so and more that Dallben being vehemently opposed to it. It's the contrast between the real power Dallben has vs Pryderi's shallow power based solely on violence.