Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004
Thanks for sharing these, OP. I read them all as a kid, but I’d forgotten most of what happened in them, except for bits of the last book. It did have nice payoffs for the stuff in the previous books, like Fflewddur’s harp, Achren, and Prince Rhun. Gurgi is less annoying than I thought (I remembered him as being a Jar Jar Binks style character), while Eilonwy seems to be there mainly as a love interest for Taran/plot device (yes, I know it’s a 60 year old series, so her characterisation isn’t going to be up to modern standards)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

And thus we cross the "Yeah, but nobody actually dies in these books" threshold...

Quite a few of the good guys die in the last book, iirc.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Genghis Cohen posted:

Another nice (and rather more cheerful) lesson. I do question how well you can feed and clothe a family by that kind of foraging though, and you certainly might hesitate before taking in two adult strangers to share the food!

Interesting question.

No doubt the description of Llonio’s lifestyle is romanticised a bit (in reality it’d be somewhat harder work than described, and likely require hunting of deer, rabbits, etc to feed the family), but I’ve read elsewhere that the hunter/gatherer life is actually easier than farming. While farming is more reliable as a source of food, it’s also much harder and more time consuming. Hunter/gatherers apparently only need to work for something like 4 hours a day to feed a family.

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004
I just think of Gurgi as a shorter, scruffier/shaggier haired version of Chewbacca.

Isn’t he basically meant to be a dog, like Chewie?

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004
I’m wondering who would have taken over Rhun’s kingdom. He was an only child IIRC, and obviously wasn’t married/have any kids. I’m guessing his mother would end up in charge until she dies, but after that..?

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Wahad posted:

Chapter 8: The Messengers

Well, looks like Medwyn's in. And...nature?

Eywa has spoken!

Or Tom Bombadil?

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Wahad posted:

Chapter 11: The Fortress

And so Pryderi goes, and it is battle, then, in the Golden Fortress of the Sons of Don.

Now all is done that men can do, and all is done in vain.

I like how the battle is written as complete chaos, and Eilonwy finally gets to be in some fighting. Taran and all the others are fairly sexist/patronising to her (yes, I know it’s these are 60 year old books)

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Wahad posted:

Missed another few days. Still wrangling a mad busy work schedule, sorry folks. Still, only one chapter this week, because it's an important one.

Chapter 12: The Red Fallows

And so the stakes are raised again. Victory in this, or all will be lost.

The fight is lost, but the war is not yet over. Onwards!

Rest in peace, Coll Son of Collfrewr.

The description of the Red Fallows, and the death of Coll, is the part I remember most about this book, even all this years later. So I thought it best to present this chapter by itself.

Coll was one of the 2 losses in this book that hit me the hardest. I thought he died in the battle at Caer Dathyl though, and not a little after it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Wahad posted:

Chapter 14: Daylight

Uh oh.

Thus the fitting end of Dorath. And we circle back to Medwyn's command earlier in the book!

Now where have we heard that before?

Huh, I’d forgotten all about Dorath reappearing in this book. I thought that he was only in Taran Wanderer.

For that matter, I’d forgotten that Medwyn told the animals to help against Annuvin. I wondered what the hell the wolves suddenly showed up.