Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Selachian posted:

My knowledge of Welsh pronunciation is 100% derived from Susan Cooper's "The Dark Is Rising" books, but my recollection is that ew is pronounced like the English oo and dd is pronounced like th. So, kinda like "Floothur Flam"?

Hey my knowledge is derived exactly the same, it's mostly from the fourth book set in Wales of course, that series rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I have that pink cover anthology of all five books, myself

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Taran Wanderer is *such* a story.

Oddly, The Grey King reminded me a lot of it, book 4 of a 5 book series in that general kind of setting and story. Taran Wanderer preceded it by almost a decade, but I've no idea what kind of link there might have been between Susan Cooper and Lloyd Alexander.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

The two kinds of Cosmic Encounter players.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I remember adoring some of that series, back when I had even less taste than I do now, and yeah I recall that rotation thing, though there was a similar time loop one for Chronos as well.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

That's really good to hear, seriously, in this day and age.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Genghis Cohen posted:

gently caress yeah! It was cool in the 3 Musketeers and it's cool here. Perhaps a less applicable life lesson for kids than some of the other stuff in the book about personal development. But it's interesting to see how personal courage, and the willingness to share risk or sacrifice for others, is kind of an underpinning virtue throughout Taran's journey.

It's pretty applicable for standing up for peers who are being bullied at school. Not in direct fights, sure, but just showing that the out group is stronger than expected can be enough to deter such things.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I'd agree, it's depicting but not endorsing such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Honestly, other than the hairstyle, could be ancient Roman.