Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
I am gonna be in Segovia in a few months, driving, didn't know the roads were winding :stonk:

Are they sealed roads at least?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Saladman posted:

Sorry, mostly dirt roads in Spain. Only a few rich areas of Madrid have running water and electricity. The most dangerous issue is not really the winding dirt mountain roads, but rather the donkeys and wild dogs that might stray across the road and cause you to crash into them. Get an update on your rabies shot too.

Less snarky: yes, every road in Spain that is not a dead-end road to a private farmhouse is sealed, as of like 1985. You can also google streetview around the entire country pretty much.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.814...!7i16384!8i8192

If you don't want winding roads at all (imho they are not that windy, but depends what you're used to) you can just pay a few euros to use the toll highway.

Gonna uhh ignore the snark cos I wasn't implying whatever you think I'm implying lol

How do you pay for toll roads in a rental car? Do they just add it to your fee?

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

I was going to suggest Valley of the Fallen, but it sounds like it was closed. :( Similarly, I didn't love El Escorial itself.

Yeah, the road to Segovia is better than you're going to find almost anywhere in the US.

Another problem for me is I am a filthy :vegemite: eater and will be driving on the opposite side of the road :stonk:

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Saladman posted:

"Are they sealed roads at least" -- did that mean something besides "I hope they're not dirt/gravel roads"? I thought "sealed" and "paved" are synonyms, but maybe not always?

You pay for the tolls at the toll booths, cash or credit -- most highways are free in Spain, but unfortunately not the Madrid-Segovia one. Looks like the toll is €1.75 each way.

There are a very few "invisible, booth-free" toll roads in Europe, but none of them in Spain as far as I know. By this I mean the toll highways where you can't tell it's a toll road (except by reading some small sign in a foreign language), where your plates are photographed tracked and you have to go online and look for your car plate number and pay within 72 hours after the fact or get a huge fine. The only one I actually know about is in Italy, north of Milan and it is all of the bullshit, even though I know about it.

Yeah I meant that specific road, not the whole of Spain or anything lol

It's cool if the toll road has a physical booth/thing to stop at. I know with rentals if you drive on a toll road they charge an additional fee on top of the toll itself, which may or may not be an issue but drat I am getting owned by exchange rates at the moment!

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Was the windy road scenic? Or just frustrating? I might do the windy road if there's views to be had/stuff to see