Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Biggest disappointment of 2023?
The Dallas Cowboys (gently caress 'em)
The New York Giants
The Philadephia Eagles
The Washington Washingtons
Myself for watching NFC East Clownball
View Results

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYP6SJyixBo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Micah Parsons can go one on one with some NBA players, I think. He’s the best baller on the Cowboys. He can beat anyone on the team 1 on 1.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I’m not sure a 5’5” running back is a great investment in a world of giants.

I’m imagining a twins remake with derrick henry and double duece.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

euphronius posted:

It was a significant factor. I think Gannon checking out was probably bigger tho

How was it a factor for only one of the two teams playing on it?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Close but not quite. The eagles were disproportionately impacted in the first half because they had the wrong god damned cleats on. Did y'all forget half the team changing shoes at halftime? If the turf was an issue, it was because the eagles staff hosed up.

Once they changed cleats, the slippage was pretty equal between teams and happened most in painted areas. The eagles slip n slide in the first half was, in large part, because they had the wrong cleats on for the playing surface.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

But, really, the eagles lost because they had a terrible defense that was just hidden behind a great front four. The could do nothing to stop the chiefs in the second half, and it wasn't because they were slipping around. They had a gameplan that literally only works if you have consistent pressure and are getting sacks.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

euphronius posted:

Killing the pass tush for both teams disproportionately effects they eagles in the context of that game

It wasn’t the only issue

You wanted to use affect not effect there. Effected would have also worked.

euphronius posted:

If you remember going into the game the eagles were favored because (in part) their pass rush which had just (if you remember ) destroyed the 49ers and whoever else they played before that I don’t even recall

The eagles pass rush struggled in other games besides the super bowl. The slip-n-slide first half was equipment issues otherwise both teams were affected the same. The eagles defense was real bad last year except for sacks, and anyone that watched the eagles knew it. They almost lost to cooper rush in large part because they were unable to sack him. The sacks didn't even matter in some games like the second game against dallas when dak hung 40 on them despite being sacked six times.

The turf didn't cause the eagles to lose the game. It was not something that uniquely affected them.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

blarzgh posted:

"X - X against playoff teams/ teams are the winning record" is a made up stat, It means only one thing: You either are or you are not Tom Brady who is the only quarterback that has significantly more wins against teams have finished with > .500 record that any other quarterback in history basically

Playoff teams are generally only one or two games above 500 sometimes if that, and a good team will win 11 to 14 games a year, dealing many teams that one loss that ultimately keeps them out of the playoffs or from having a winning record.

So what you're doing is contriving a stat that a) assumes that a quarterback is 100% responsible for the outcome of the game, which is dumb ESPN bullshit, and 2) punishes teams who are successful, and to turn several teams a season into teams that don't make the playoffs and or finish below 500

Mahomes is better than Brady on this front even though he has fewer games. His record against winning teams is 0.625. Brady is 0.611. Jimmy G is next at 0.565, DangerRuss at 0.542. That’s it for winning records. Lamar is at 0.500. Losing records is Throw Rogan at 0.483, Mariota at 0.480 and Dak at 0.468. Goff and Allen are the only others above 0.400 at 0.451 and 0.444 respectively. Herbie is at 0.400.

Source: https://sportsandfitnessdigest.com/active-nfl-quarterback-records-against-winning-teams/

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I mean, in the stat that was brought up (wins against teams with winning records) he’s one of the best in the league and better than any other QB in the NFCE.

Most QBs have a very bad record against teams with winning records. Dak, at near .500, is better than most QBs.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

blarzgh posted:

Notice as well that all the farty, bloated Giants fans have sworn a blood oath to abhor statistics, So they can pretend that Eli Was anything more than a below average quarterback carried by luck, variance, and an all-world defense to two titles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYTPgW5PJFU&t=24s

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Febreeze posted:

I'm fine with statistics, I'm just extremely tired of tiny stupid ones illustrating that Dak is actually the third best QB on long downs in the second quarter or whatever the gently caress

Just say he's good, because he is

Eh, he's amazing in some situations, but he's mediocre to bad in others. He is godawful at playing from behind and does best as a passer when he's improvising following an extra blitzed defender. In a clean pocket, he's average at best. If 5+ players come after him, though, he's like mahomes.

You gotta look at all of the angles, and the stats help illustrate these things. It depends a lot on the situations he sees as to how he performs. And when you just have a bad defense that's getting bailed out by a good front four, he'll drop 40 on you even though you sack him six times.

In conclusion, dak is a land of contrasts.

indigi posted:

Dak is good, I'd say very good. in stretches he's played great. that's my quarterback

Welcome to the light, friend.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I've watched a lot of Eli Manning play. I've spent a lot of time giving him the eye test. And he doesn't stack up.

Eli the person is funny af, but he was middling at QB. It's a shame he didn't hang on long enough to break Favre's int record.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nah that’s Staubach. Romo is #2. Dak is a top five historic cowboys qb, for sure.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I don’t know why but Clint Stoerner just popped into my head and that’s a drat fine name. Too bad he sucked poo poo at QB.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

fartknocker posted:

He’s #17, just behind Chad Hutchinson and ahead of Steve Beuerlein.

Don’t forget cowboys legend Ryan Leaf.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

BiggerBoat posted:

I hadn't really thought about it but, man, the AFC is just stacked at QB compared to the NFC.

Jalen is the default #1 based on only one year and then you have, what? Dak, Cousins, Stafford?

AFC has Burrow, Mahomes, Allen, Jackson, Rodgers, Lawrence, Herbert...Russel Wilson and Watson if they can get their poo poo together. It's pretty nuts how lopsided it is.

:lol: hurts is not the best qb in the nfce let alone the nfc.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

euphronius posted:

I looked at the box scores and Minshew scored 6 points on a 1 yard rush. Anyway the important thing is he lost

Hurts did not score any points against Dallas last year, BUT he won the game.

As an aside Points scored by a QB is a strange way to judge them. For example tom Brady barely scores any points but hes the best QB of all time.

So QBs are responsible for the defense but do not get credit for throwing the ball on a TD pass?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

This Tom Brady guy? He never scored.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Diqnol posted:

It doesn’t matter how good Dak is, he is a loser to the core while wearing a Cowboys Uniform.

I think this is where a lot of people are coming from when they say Hurts is a better QB. Blarzgh tries his best, but you cannot use logic to talk someone out of a position when the original position is not based upon logic.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cartoon Man posted:

What the gently caress are we even talking about, god I hate the offseason. Isn’t it about time for somebody in the NFC East to get arrested by now?

Euphronius is trying to say that the only points a QB scores are on the ground as a way to argue that Jalen Hurts actually did better against the cowboys than Gardner Minshew even though the Minshew led offense scored more points.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The Minshew led defense, on the other hand, gave up a lot more points to Dak than the Hurts led defense did against Cooper Rush, so another feather in the cap for Jalen!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I agree with this

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

:lol: hurts is not a better qb than Dak. The gulf between their actual arm talent is massive.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't think there's a GM in the league that would take Dak over Jalen, even if we disregarded their age. One can argue that Hurts has only done it for one year and has a great supporting cast, which is fair, but I feel safe saying there's a pretty solid consensus here.

:hmmyes: this is the guy i want throwing the ball for my team

https://youtu.be/U_G77g0i6GY?t=7

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Toaster Beef posted:

i'm not gonna deny that dak has way more arm talent than jalen right now but if you're gonna point to deeply embarrassing last plays of postseason games that have no bearing on the quarterback's actual talent, well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FrRj8ybrGQ

People screw up sometimes. Donovan McNabb didn't realize that a regular season game could end in a tie and let the clock expire on purpose at the end of an overtime.

Dak can actually throw the ball reliably. That's usually the number one trait you want in a quarterback.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

There is no way I would take Hurts over Dak. I wouldn’t take hurts over Fields. Hurts did ok with one of the most talented rosters and basically no team injuries. Even still the eagles got clowned by every team they faced with a decent defense.

Hurts cannot win with his arm. We’re all going to witness what teams do against him this year with actual tape on him, and they’re going to shut down his short game.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Doltos posted:

I think you're kind of right only in the sense that GMs really hook their wagons to young, athletic QBs. Like the major difference between Dak and Hurts really is arms versus legs, and right now the legs are winning with their current strategy.

There is no possible way NFL defenses didn't have Hurts figured out last year.

The guy clearly loves the middle of the field and hitting sidelines on short routes. If that doesn't work, people run deep and then he takes off. Everyone knows that. The problem is no one can stop that. Hurts is squirrely, he's fast, and he's capable. He's kind of like a way more athletic Chad Pennington. That's like really valuable. People want that. Now the question is will the NFL start drafting faster LBs who can actually make a tackle on a 6'2 guy running around instead of just diving at his feet.

Every team with a good defense he faced last year stopped him, though. If Dak hadn't been injured the first time they played last season, they get swept by the Cowboys. They only won the NFC championship because they were playing a team with no QB.

They only looked as good as they did last year because the NFC was less than great. When the 2022 NY Football Giants are a playoff team and can even win a wildcard game, your conference is not doing too hot.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Toaster Beef posted:

I feel like 'they only won the NFC Championship Game because they were playing against a team with no QB' conveniently ignores why they were playing against a team with no QB. Dude didn't trip and fall, he got hit because the defensive line did exactly what it had been doing all year up to that point

That was already their third string QB. If SF had more than one QB worth a drat on the roster before the game, it would have looked very different.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The second Cowboys game was silly because Dak got sacked 6 times but still hung 40 on the Eagles.

I don't think the eagles sacked Cooper Rush at all in the first meeting.

Also not from this thread, but I will always laugh at the "its worse to get sacked on second down than it is third down" argument from ages back.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm still haunted by Donovan McNabb's fifty yard run behind the LoS before bombing it deep. No wins are guaranteed. Except against Washington and sometimes New York.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Shinjobi posted:

It would own, lmao

I would laugh so loving hard. It would be truly glorious. It also will never happen.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The Dave posted:

I would like to call the 30-40 people waiting outside the Linc this morning to purchase kelly green jerseys absolute losers and dregs of society. Thank you.

Mad because they were further up in line than you?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I would like for the Dallas Cowboys to win the division, and, hell, the Super Bowl too.

Same, but i think a Commanders sweep of the division is probably more likely than the Cowboys winning the superbowl.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Blarzgh is frozen in time observing all Dakceptions simultaneously like Dr. Manhattan.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

This is exactly what I had in mind. Thank you.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Asproigerosis posted:

isn't nfl backup entirely predicated around teamwork, gameplanning, theorycrafting stuff and nothing to do with your actual physical ability to play?

Someone else posted in a discussion about Hefty Lefty that a starting QB is someone who makes the correct read most of the time and can put the ball anywhere on the field. A backup is someone who can make the correct read as often or more than the starter but has limited arm and ability to put the ball anywhere. The guys that can put the ball anywhere but can't read a defense, like He Ate Me, end up in CFL/XFL/Arena.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

KC should be the favorite against any team they play as long as Mahomes is the QB and is healthy. Even if he's injured, there's a drat good chance they should be favored to win.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

blarzgh posted:

I would also like to officially announce that my wife, who loves me despite the fact that I'm a cowboys fan, has acquired us not only tickets to this weekend's preseason game but also to the opener against the New York Jets.

I've never been to a professional football game and even though Jerry world is a monument to excess and the fragility of 1 billionaire's ego, I'm looking forward to watching Dak Prescott kill Aaron Rogers like he did Tom Brady last year.

Congrats! I took my dad and stepmom to the thanksgiving game like 15 years ago where Roy Williams was on a TD break and then fumbled at the 7 yard line (we were sitting in that end one) and then they lost.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

euphronius posted:

It’s unlikely I’ll watch a Dallas - Green Bay game honestly

Friend, I have some news for you. Aaron Rodgers is no longer the QB in Wisconsin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

euphronius posted:

Lmao at the mortgage calculator

For only $220k/month, this mcmansion can be YOURS