Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise

A thread for my 3.5 hour train ride from Portland to Seattle on Amtrak, the American train company.

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

Waiting for the train to take off. May pop a we'd gummy and just zone out a bit.

alnilam

Coast Starlight or Cascades?

ty manifisto

cruft

Cascades.

I know this because he said it would be 3.5 hours, and not a full day.

sb hermit

Is there a snack car? Will you get a snack at the snack car?

cruft

The Coast Starlight takes 17 hours to get from Los Angeles to Portland, if a freight train doesn't delay it.

Delays on this line happen 80% of the time, and the average delay is something like 4 hours.

Ask me anything about going from Santa Fe to Pasco.

Escape From Noise

Ridin' that train
High and postin'

cruft

OP who is sitting nearby and are they acting like they want to talk to you

cruft

If you look out the window to a nearby hillside do you see Will Smith with a sniper rifle? If so, please duck.

alnilam

Yeah i ride both trains quite regularly, they take the same amount of time to get from one stop to another (apart from the starlight being delayed most of the time lol)

ty manifisto

Escape From Noise

alnilam posted:

Coast Starlight or Cascades?

cruft posted:

Cascades.

sb hermit

My local commuter train doesn't have snack cars, just people cars. Not even like a nap car or sightseeing car.

Of course, you can try taking a nap in the people car if you can manage it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBFVh4ZfHEc

Escape From Noise

We took off. Nobody near me that seems very talkative.

alnilam

Nice the cascades train feels much more like a regular practical train, the starlight feels like a tourist experience and it's kinda off putting when you ride it just one stop every week

ty manifisto

alnilam

Unfortunately the cascades train does not sell beer and the starlight does, you win some you lose some

ty manifisto

Escape From Noise

alnilam posted:

Nice the cascades train feels much more like a regular practical train, the starlight feels like a tourist experience and it's kinda off putting when you ride it just one stop every week

Yeah. I just want to take 'er easy.

sb hermit

cruft posted:

The Coast Starlight takes 17 hours to get from Los Angeles to Portland, if a freight train doesn't delay it.

Delays on this line happen 80% of the time, and the average delay is something like 4 hours.

Ask me anything about going from Santa Fe to Pasco.

do they have good burritos in the snack car?

do they come with hatch chile salsa?

is the coffee any good? similar to a gas station coffee? or a donut shop coffee? or a philz?

have you ever had a beer or cocktail in the snack car?

alnilam

Although i have it on good authority that you can bring your own beer, or "byob," on any train as long as you don't make a scene

ty manifisto

sb hermit

alnilam posted:

Unfortunately the cascades train does not sell beer and the starlight does, you win some you lose some

alnilam posted:

Although i have it on good authority that you can bring your own beer, or "byob," on any train as long as you don't make a scene

I'll have to keep this in mind for next time

cruft

sb hermit posted:

do they have good burritos in the snack car?

do they come with hatch chile salsa?

is the coffee any good? similar to a gas station coffee? or a donut shop coffee? or a philz?

have you ever had a beer or cocktail in the snack car?

The snack car food is tolerable, but only just. I bring my own food to suppliment it.

They 100% do not come with anything that cannot be frozen and reheated, including any sort of sauces.

The coffee is closer to gas station coffee, but post-Starbucks 2023 gas station coffee, not pre-Starbucks 1985 gas station coffee.

Absolutely I have had a beer in the snack car.

cruft

alnilam posted:

I'm taking Amtrack from Lamy (Santa Fe) to Minneapolis and back in May. I'll be in trains for 7 days in order to do this.

I'm also planning to take Amtrak as much as I can for the rest of my life, in an attempt to not get on an airplane. It is going to be a pain in the rear end.

If you're interested in how this works out for me, I took over a thread to detail stuff: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3912651

And now back to EFN being high on a train!

alnilam

EFn have u crossed the Columbia yet

ty manifisto

Escape From Noise

I'd have a beer but I've been going a bit hard for a few weeks so I'm just gonna drink from my big bottle of water

cruft

EFN LET US KNOW WHEN YOU SEE THE MYSTERIOUS MIMA MOUNDS

Escape From Noise

We are delayed due to marine traffic. Goddamn bridges!

Escape From Noise

cruft posted:

EFN LET US KNOW WHEN YOU SEE THE MYSTERIOUS MIMA MOUNDS

My mom mentioned the mysterious mima mounds.

sb hermit

cruft posted:

The snack car food is tolerable, but only just. I bring my own food to suppliment it.

They 100% do not come with anything that cannot be frozen and reheated, including any sort of sauces.

that makes sense

quote:

The coffee is closer to gas station coffee, but post-Starbucks 2023 gas station coffee, not pre-Starbucks 1985 gas station coffee.

sounds like airline coffee, which is acceptable for me

quote:

Absolutely I have had a beer in the snack car.

a beer in the snack car feels like the ultimate adult indulgence

but I always feel like I have to drink it quickly to avoid having it spill all over me

and, in this post-2023 hellworld, I guess I would get worried if my mask was off for too long

more falafel please

forums poster

alnilam posted:

whoa this is a really weird coincidence

i actually post on a forum called "byob" but it doesn't stand for that

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

alnilam

Escape From Noise posted:

My mom mentioned the mysterious mima mounds.

Mumbly mom meekly mentions mysterious mima mounds

ty manifisto

sb hermit

I'd have a beer but I've been going a bit hard for a few weeks so I'm just gonna drink from my big bottle of water

good call

Escape From Noise

more falafel please posted:

whoa this is a really weird coincidence

i actually post on a forum called "byob" but it doesn't stand for that

What does it stand for again?

more falafel please

forums poster

What does it stand for again?

Beer Your Own Bring

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Escape From Noise

more falafel please posted:

Beer Your Own Bring

:hmmyes:

Escape From Noise

We are stopping so a freight train can pass. Booooo!

sb hermit

How do things smell in the train? Relatively neutral? Antiseptic and ammonia? Like a dusty diner off the side of the road?

alnilam

does train go toot toot

ty manifisto

Escape From Noise

They're doing the horn! Toooooooot!

Escape From Noise

sb hermit posted:

How do things smell in the train? Relatively neutral? Antiseptic and ammonia? Like a dusty diner off the side of the road?

Pretty neutral IMHO, but the train has no nose.

Escape From Noise

I'm in Kelso, WA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit

Pretty neutral IMHO, but the train has no nose.

I had read about one person's experience going from los angeles to seattle on the coast starlight and apparently it got ripe at times

https://www.latimes.com/travel/story/2022-12-01/amtrak-coast-starlight-train-ride-los-angeles

of course, this is more of a.commuter line so the passengers would be different