Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit

Escape From Noise posted:

I'm in Kelso, WA

did you get a chance to soak in any of the views?

I guess you'd probably see mainly mountains and valleys and maybe a river or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

Am I in Centralia? Of you were a bettin' orbs, I'd say put money on it!

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

Escape From Noise

Missed the mounds because of the tracks.

sb hermit

:ohdearsass:

they shall remain a mystery

more falafel please

forums poster

sb hermit posted:

I had read about one person's experience going from los angeles to seattle on the coast starlight and apparently it got ripe at times

https://www.latimes.com/travel/story/2022-12-01/amtrak-coast-starlight-train-ride-los-angeles

of course, this is more of a.commuter line so the passengers would be different

it hasn't come back since covid but someone I vaguely know has run a game jam on the California Zephyr from Chicago to SF, on the way to the game developers conference. 3 days, no wifi, several hundred nerds, no showers

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Escape From Noise

I'm nearly in Seattle. I think.

Escape From Noise

Yeah. Really close.

alnilam

Did u see snowcappies, do u currently see Rainier

ty manifisto

sb hermit

Yeah. Really close.

:f5:

sb hermit

more falafel please posted:

it hasn't come back since covid but someone I vaguely know has run a game jam on the California Zephyr from Chicago to SF, on the way to the game developers conference. 3 days, no wifi, several hundred nerds, no showers

I wonder if I would smell worse if I were hiking for 3 days, as opposed to sitting in a train

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

sb hermit posted:

Is there a snack car? Will you get a snack at the snack car?

I once had a 5 dollar hot dog on the Amtrak between providence and ny. It was microwaved.

sb hermit

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

I once had a 5 dollar hot dog on the Amtrak between providence and ny. It was microwaved.

Sounds unfulfilling. I assume they only gave you a packet of relish and a packet of ketchup for condiments as well.

If they had an astronaut hot dog, I would definitely eat it, though.

Sherbert Hoover

Working hard, thank you!
I've never been on a train except for the DC metro. I think it would be neat to ride from one city to another and just look out the window like I'm on the school bus again :allears:

this sig is protected by Simsmagic!

Escape From Noise

Sherbert Hoover posted:

I've never been on a train except for the DC metro. I think it would be neat to ride from one city to another and just look out the window like I'm on the school bus again :allears:

If you are ever in the area Seattle to Portland (or the reverse) is pretty nice. It's about 50 bux and takes like 3.5 hours. Definitely nicer than the bus IMHO, plus more options for times. Both times had delays, but only a bit. I'd recommend buying a big ol' water and your own food.

sb hermit

Sherbert Hoover posted:

I haven't been on that train for awhile. I see that they finally added the extension that connects Dulles airport! Maybe the next time I visit DC for work, I won't have to rent any cars.

cruft

I'm nearly in Seattle. I think.

DID YOU MAKE IT, OP? :ohdear: :f5:

alnilam

:rip: EFN, foreverially trapped somewhere near JBLM by a freight train delay

ty manifisto

sb hermit

he might have missed the mysterious mima mounds....but did they miss him???

:iiam:

Escape From Noise

I am in Seattle. I met up with a goon for drinks.

sb hermit

:ms:

cruft

The mystery of the missing mysterious mima mounds.

Ass-penny

I don't think I've ridden a train somewhere in 15 years

Escape From Noise

rear end-penny posted:

It had been a really long time since I'd used Amtrak.

Ass-penny

It had been a really long time since I'd used Amtrak.

sure, decrepit, dystopian American rails. I'm sure you ride hella sleek, modern trains every day in Japan.

Escape From Noise

rear end-penny posted:

sure, decrepit, dystopian American rails. I'm sure you ride hella sleek, modern trains every day in Japan.

Sometimes there are really old ones here.

more falafel please

forums poster

rear end-penny posted:

do you count the trams/light rail in mpls because those are pretty good

Ass-penny

do you count the trams/light rail in mpls because those are pretty good

I am a middle class man from a first ring suburb so I'm a car-haver. I would like to use it to get around drinking and driving but the system barely gets into saint Paul, certainly not near my neighborhood lol.

actually that last train ride was in your city mfp. I don't remember what stations or lines we took, it was hella long ago.

cruft

7 days until I get on a train to Chicago!

more falafel please

forums poster

cruft posted:

what are you getting up to here?

Finger Prince

cruft posted:

Then 7 more on the train up to Chicago! :v:

Finger Prince

Which route are you taking, cruft?

Ass-penny

wait, I thought you were visiting MPLS cruft? no worries if not, I have your username in my calendar with a question mark by it because I told you if'n you had time I'd buy you a coffee or something to eat.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

cruft

rear end-penny posted:

wait, I thought you were visiting MPLS cruft? no worries if not, I have your username in my calendar with a question mark by it because I told you if'n you had time I'd buy you a coffee or something to eat.

Yeah, you have to go through Chicago to get from Santa Fe to Minneapolis.

Finger Prince posted:

Which route are you taking, cruft?

So, roughly, Santa Fe to Denver (Amtrak doesn't go to Denver anymore), then Kansas City, then Chicago. Then I stay overnight, and get on another train to Duluth.

My new job (did I mention I have a new job?) I'm going to be going from Santa Fe to Phoenix, then to Los Angeles. I stay overnight, and get on another train to San Francisco, then to Portland. Then I get on a third train from Portland to Kalispell... uh, that route isn't on this map, sorry.

sb hermit

cruft posted:

My new job (did I mention I have a new job?) I'm going to be going from Santa Fe to Phoenix, then to Los Angeles. I stay overnight, and get on another train to San Francisco, then to Portland. Then I get on a third train from Portland to Kalispell... uh, that route isn't on this map, sorry.

Are you going to be staying anywhere swanky in Los Angeles?

I always wonder where people stay in my backyard, since I generally don't get to know how good the hotels are around here.

(the hotel drinks are probably pretty expensive, though)

more falafel please

forums poster

cruft posted:

Yeah, you have to go through Chicago to get from Santa Fe to Minneapolis.

So, roughly, Santa Fe to Denver (Amtrak doesn't go to Denver anymore), then Kansas City, then Chicago. Then I stay overnight, and get on another train to Duluth.

when do you get into chicago? if it makes sense i could buy you a beverage of your choosing

cruft

sb hermit posted:

Are you going to be staying anywhere swanky in Los Angeles?

I always wonder where people stay in my backyard, since I generally don't get to know how good the hotels are around here.

(the hotel drinks are probably pretty expensive, though)

I haven't thought that far ahead yet. It needs to be within walking distance of the Amtrak station.

In some cities, the Amtrak station is not in a nice place. When I've gone through LA, it seemed like a really busy union station connecting CalTrans or whatever it's called, so there was a ton of foot traffic. I just checked: yeah, the Ritz-Carlton is nearby, it'll be fine. Looks like I can't stay with my loyalty chain (IHG) though but whatever.

Chicago's union station is either inside or right outside the Loop, right next to the river. I was just in Chicago and boy howdy does the downtown area feel safe, no joking. There's a Holidy Inn Express 2 blocks south of union station so that's where I'll be staying.

In the olden days there was a chain of hotels called Harvey Houses near train stations.

cruft

rear end-penny posted:

when do you get into chicago? if it makes sense i could buy you a beverage of your choosing

That depends entirely on what freight companies decide to do that day. But I'm hopeful I get in sometime in the evening on May 6. Could be in the morning on May 7.

Coming back, I arrive in the evening on the 12th, and the next train leavs at 14:50 on the 13th. The train from St Paul is probably a lot less likely to be delayed, but I may already be meeting a co-worker on this day, so I'll have to get back to you.

But yes, it would be awesome to meet up with goons and I will keep posting ITT as things get nearer.

And I'm buying the beverages. I just got a new job with a big fat signing bonus that I can't spend for 2 years because of the sneaky way it's worded, so my balance is looking really nice.

cruft

Can I just say again that I am super disappointed by this.

more falafel please

forums poster

cruft posted:

That depends entirely on what freight companies decide to do that day. But I'm hopeful I get in sometime in the evening on May 6. Could be in the morning on May 7.

Coming back, I arrive in the evening on the 12th, and the next train leavs at 14:50 on the 13th. The train from St Paul is probably a lot less likely to be delayed, but I may already be meeting a co-worker on this day, so I'll have to get back to you.

But yes, it would be awesome to meet up with goons and I will keep posting ITT as things get nearer.

And I'm buying the beverages. I just got a new job with a big fat signing bonus that I can't spend for 2 years because of the sneaky way it's worded, so my balance is looking really nice.

cool, keep me posted!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass-penny

cool, keep me posted!

:same:

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut