Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

rolf does a halfhearted recon, gets a total of 5 (+1/-1) goes back to the manual for his sniperscope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Character sheet for reference:

Name: Dan Janks Age: 34 Rank: Senior Scout (reserve)

[Attributes]

STR: 7 (0) Dex: 6 (0) End: 8 (+0) Int: 6 (0) Edu: 10 (+1) Soc: 5(-1)

Skills
Carouse (0), Language (0), Electronics (Sensors) (1), Pilot (spacecraft) (1), Survival (0), Mechanic (0)
Astrogation (0), Vacc Suite (1), Gun Combat (Energy) (1), Navigation (1), Science (Astronomy) (1)
Jack of All Trades (1), Engineering(J-Drive) (1)

Possessions:
17,100 Credits
1 Scout Ship

cloth armor
breather
environment Suit
stunner
cellphone

Mykkel fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 31, 2023

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Ronwayne posted:

Aria Xsdottir

What do I find with streetwise? With a 12 , it looks like everything? :catdrugs:

Nobody wants you here. On your way out you get a few dirty looks, nothing threatening, but few residents of this planet trust outsiders. Vic does, or at least is more open to the idea of a working relationship. Not only that but he prefers to invite them into his boss's office and do business in person instead of across the university network. Why might that be? Crimes. Doing things in a way to minimize oversight from the upper management. Using outsiders instead of regular interns. Maybe Sledj is in on it, maybe he's a front. And even though you came in late you noticed how Vic was friendly but prepared to check out everyone's identity, make sure he's talking to the right people -- he probably scanned you the second you came near the door. What you can't guess is what the hell crime he might be up to on a planet with almost no strict laws. You'd have to pull more info about the local legal landscape to start figuring it out.

What else do you notice?

The University itself is mostly bored into the side of a huge canyon, a little less than 300km away from the spaceport. Fewer dirty looks out here, which makes sense. The rail line to the port isn't exactly light speed, but it is pretty quick, only takes a half hour. It's also bored into the cliffside, but you can see out. The landscape is bleak.

The atmosphere is visibly thin and dangerous looking, probably full of ozone or iodine smog or some crap. They've got quite a few heavy lifters, aerostats transferring bulk cargo in from distant parts of the planet. Some land back at the university, but most are taking off and landing at the spaceport and then going somewhere else. A lotta material's moving through.

--

sebmojo posted:

rolf does a halfhearted recon, gets a total of 5 (+1/-1) goes back to the manual for his sniperscope

There's some aliens around, but most of the University is human. A lot of people are armed, but rarely heavily. Both of these trends start to change as you get towards the starport.

--

Mykkel posted:

Okay, I'll take the environment suit and just use the ship vacc suit.

:hai:

--

The startown outside the spaceport is much more industrial. There are refineries and manufacturing facilities along with the usual seedy bars and shops. They even have a shipyard here. Technically the law level within the spaceport is much more restrictive than out on the planet, but you're waved through after a perfunctory scan. Warning advisories in multiple languages instruct pilots to always confirm their flight paths with the tower before takeoff.

Just like Vic said, the equipment is ready and can be loaded by cargo bots as soon as anybody signs off on it.

good ol Jester's Revenge. Looks wonky in isometric view, but there we go. While the bots load up the cargo you can draw your skill packs & then prep for launch

Skills Packages posted:

In addition to the skills acquired during Traveller Creation, each Traveller takes turns selecting skills from the following Explorers’ skill package. Keep going until all skills have been selected. Note that each skill is obtained at level 1, so if your Traveller already has the skill at level 1, they obtain no additional benefit from selecting the skill.

Astrogation 1, dan got it
Electronics 1, aria got it
Gun Combat 1, dan got it
Medic 1, rolf got it
Pilot 1,
Recon 1, tayloria got it
Stealth 1, trew got it
Survival 1 rolf got it
claim a skill and it goes off this list and onto your sheet. free skills. Just keep going until they're all used up or nobody wants to take any more.

Complex operations are usually rolled as a task chain, where one roll can have an affect on one that comes after it.
    For this launch we're looking at:
  • Somebody needs to roll Navigation/EDU or Astrogation/EDU to make the flight plan
  • Someone (it can usually be the same person, or someone else) rolls Electronics (Comms)/EDU to send your flight path to the tower
  • Someone turns on the engines with Engineer (Power)/EDU
  • Someone rolls Pilot (Spacecraft)/INT or EDU or DEX to take off and fly to the frozen sea.
It isn't going to be like this every single time, but because Hesaim has a lot of traffic they make you jump through a bunch of hoops. Also this is supposed to be an easy example of task chaining. I think I got my stats right on these, dunno, seems reasonable enough. If you guys can get there without wrecking probably I'm not going to make you reroll every take off every single time.

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 3, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'll grab Medic 1 since it's certainly the sort of thing Rolf would have picked up in the endless hamburger hill style assaults the Imperial Marine Corps favors

I have comms 1 so can run the cans after one of you eggheads plots us a plan out of this dump (no offence to the locals I'm sure it's lovely once you get to know it)

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Grabbing Electronics 1, since i'm low on tech skills, and this lets me do all sorts of shadowrunning-in-another-system stuff.

I'll wait for others to have a go on the others, but I'd like to grab one of Recon, Stealth, Survival or Pilot, these improve on, or expand her schtick. (I'd think survival or pilot, esp the latter since i don't have any vehicles skills, and survival is just useful)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
which electronics, you get that you're getting all electronics at 0 and one at 1

Electronics has specialties in Comms, Computers, Repote Ops, Sensors
remote ops is drones, everything else should be p self explanatory i think. They apply to both the ones on the ship and the ones you hold in your hand.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sensors would be good if we don't have that already, you use them allll the time. Computers too.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I know sensors gets used more often, and drones or neat, but E(computers) let's me get my 90's hacker on. I assume that's the skill for cracking higher TL door locks and such? (I mean assuming we don't just shoot it out or use Explosives) .

Electronics (Computers 1) it is. I'll check in a few more hours after everyone gets to look at the list. I'd feel like a massive dick if I took Pilot 1 from trew (granted, I'd want to take it in small craft)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
it's weird, pilot is specifically for spaceworthy ships, flyer is for jets and stuff. Has the same membrane as between astrogation and navigation i guess. Computers is going to be doing stuff like searching databases and using software, including copying software and stuff like that. You need intrusion software to do hacks and this stuff is almost always contraband.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

I didn’t realize that about Electronics, clarified on my sheet that Dan is skilled in Sensors.
I would like gun combat 1 please. If I need to pick a subset, I would like stunner or energy ?

I’ll do the pilot roll and fly the ship.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
yup the specialties of gun are: antique, energy, slug. Lasers/plasma/stunners are all in energy

e: also d'oh i said when a skill that has specialties came up i would explain it but didn't. Pilot's specialties are small (space shuttle tier), starship (jump-capable size), and capital ship (big enough for spinal mount weapons etc).

Smallcraft would be like fighters/transports, sometimes millitary sometimes civvie. Usually stuff that can be docked like how you can park the air/raft inside your ship, but these are a lot bigger than that, even the smallest cheapest possible one.

starships are the kind of ship you guys have, and some bigger ones, even much much bigger ones. I'm pretty sure that there are ships like 50x bigger than yours that still count as normal starships. These are the smallest ships that can jump on their own.

capital ships are generally so huge and powerfully expensive that they are not able to be built or maintained by any group smaller than a government or megacorp. They don't have like a set of turrets, they have turret arrays.

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 1, 2023

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

SniperWoreConverse posted:

yup the specialties of gun are: antique, energy, slug. Lasers/plasma/stunners are all in energy

Energy it is then.

Dan Jenks

Mykkel fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 1, 2023

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'll grab Recon 1 and also some TL 10 cloth armor/environment suit/breather package mentioned earlier. I'll also try and find a character portrait tonight -- sorry, weekend ate me.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I'll grab stealth 1 and survival 1 unless that would be too much, in which case i'd pick survival of the two.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Antivehicular posted:

I'll grab Recon 1 and also some TL 10 cloth armor/environment suit/breather package mentioned earlier. I'll also try and find a character portrait tonight -- sorry, weekend ate me.

good, sounds fine, np

Ronwayne posted:

I'll grab stealth 1 and survival 1 unless that would be too much, in which case i'd pick survival of the two.

:redass: give trew a shot. If you don't get one you want now there'll be a way to up your skills or characteristics if you try to roll for 'em, i'll have it figured out by the time you get back to deliver the goods.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i'm pretty sure -- and haven't super interrogated it -- but i think Trew might already have slightly better skills than on the sheet idk. Everything about the game is pretty complex, including chargen. I'm gonna call it we'll pause the skill draw until he either materializes to restart it, or until you guys arrive at the cryozone. It's been like 1 day, poo poo gets busy, but I got the pace on this super boring slo-mo. Obviously he's sleeping in his quarters until he comes back with a post.

In the meantime, the starport's cargo loaders get the stuff Vic lended you loaded in into the hold. Everything's ready to rock.

Like i said, gotta have some rolls:
need to make the flight plan
send the plan to the control tower for authorization (I'd also allow admin for this)
power the ship up
fly the gently caress outta here

the total combined effectiveness of this chain is gonna describe how much time is used up flying out there. If you can make an argument to use some other skill to get all this done, maybe it would work, or if you have some other plan, whatever, post it up.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mykkel looks like you are our navmonkey, hit the charts and I'll call up the tower.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Dan Jenks

Dan takes his seat at the command console, and starts punching in coordinates, reviews the options for flight paths to the frozen ocean, and plots the course, tagging the file, he asks, "Hey Rolf, mind filing this plan with Control, I'm going to go make sure the equipment is all secured in the cargo hold, Vic seems like the type to dock pay if his precious containers get dented.

So I think I get to use my navigation +1 and my EDU +1, so that's what I rolled
Navigation: 2d6+2 11

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Task Chain rules posted:

Previous Check                | DM to Current Check | Previous Check                  | DM to Current Check
Failed With Effect -6 or less | -3                  | Succeeded With Effect 0         | +1
Failed With Effect -2 to -5   | -2                  | Succeeded With Effect 1 to 5    | +2
Failed With Effect -1         | -1                  | Succeeded With Effect 6 or more | +3

This was a routine check, so Dan slaps that data into the nav computer ez. The next check gets a +2 bonus on top of what's rolled.

Meanwhile he wanders back out of the bridge. It's a straight shot through some iris valves past the living quarters to the ladder that leads down into the cargo bay:

The bay's got a pretty big door that can be opened up to the outside, it takes a few minutes to cycle. Not much in there at the moment, just the cargo pods and polymer.

The fluid tanks for the plankton are pretty tough. While they've been in use for a while, they're not really worse for the wear. There's a bunch of display indicators on top and some quick connectors where tubes and pipes can socket in.

Vic's "critter cans" are a lot different, almost ominous looking. There's no visible controls but when you get close holographic interfaces pop up showing containment integrity and internal atmospheric settings. Seems complicated, but just like he said there's a few preconfigured options and a big button that says open/close. The batteries are charged up enough to last several weeks.

The wrap is a meter-wide roll of polymer film. Seems like the kind of stuff self-sealing fabric is made out of? The instructions on the carton explain how a user can wrap whatever they like in it, and the film will fuse into a strong protective layer. All the equipment adds up to the briefing Vic gave and the info on his chip, and it all looks in good condition and ready for use. The robots even helpfully strapped everything down, so even if you did a string of barrel rolls with no artificial gravity it'd all be fine.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Trew Pisco

Apologies for slowness, I'll take Stealth 1. Can't die if they can't see me! *John Cena music hits*

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rolf taps up the tower code, leans into the mic: "Tower, this is the, uh, Lookfar, type S, pad 7, on an out sked, just filing a flight plan, can we get a slot? Plans through now. Over.". He slots the chunky data unit into the console and flicks the switch for transmit ready.

Nothing but static comes back at first, and he frowns. (Tower call: 2d6+1+2 5)

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Trew Pisco

Trew walks past Rolf as he's trying to transmit. "Oooh, that don't sound right. Let me have a look."

Fixing the radio (Electronics 0, EDU +1): 2d6+1 10

One Thump on the underside of the radio console, and the static clears. [That good enough for a reroll, ref?]

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

If so: Tower take 2: 2d6+3 8

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Cloud Potato posted:

Trew Pisco

Apologies for slowness, I'll take Stealth 1. Can't die if they can't see me! *John Cena music hits*

sounds good, people can start grabbing the rest if they want em

Cloud Potato posted:

Trew Pisco

Trew walks past Rolf as he's trying to transmit. "Oooh, that don't sound right. Let me have a look."

Fixing the radio (Electronics 0, EDU +1): 2d6+1 10

One Thump on the underside of the radio console, and the static clears. [That good enough for a reroll, ref?]

it is

sebmojo posted:

If so: Tower take 2: 2d6+3 8

*Skrt* "--uit fuckin' around pad 7. We have you as 'Jester's Revenge' and you are cleared for takeoff." the pilot check is gonna get +2

The next step is start the engines and whatever plus you get from the tower and whatever you get from strolling on down to the powerplant and letting er rip will then apply to the actual piloting. (doing the navigation isn't going to directly impact the engine imo)

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Dan Jenks

I'd like Astrogation (1).

Is there someone willing to start the engine?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Tayloria's got Engineer 0 -- didn't take any specs. Should I have?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Mykkel posted:

Dan Jenks

I'd like Astrogation (1).

Is there someone willing to start the engine?

Alright sounds good I'll cross it off

Antivehicular posted:

Tayloria's got Engineer 0 -- didn't take any specs. Should I have?

Engineer 0 gives you 0 in all specialties, so you already got power/ life support/ whatever @ 0. No pluses no minuses. If you get more engineering levels you will have to socket them individually tho

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Righto. Tayloria's been focused on the containers -- know your gear before you get into the field, right? -- but when she gets the ping, she'll head down to the engine room to start things up.

Let's get this party (engine) started -- Engineer 0 +1 EDU: 2d6+1 11

"Amazing. The manuals for this thing are actually accurate."

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The reactor starts sucking up that sweet, sweet refined hydrogen, fusing it to power the energy requirements of antigravity plating & thruster arrays.

Pad 7's docking clamps retract & the roof irises open, exposing the loading robots to dangerous atmospheric conditions. The sun is dead still in the sky. No clouds.

Nav beacons pop up green on the command console & power output is nominal. Roll pilot.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rolf snaps the clasps shut and snuggles back into the acceleration couch.

"Always love this bit," he says to no-one in particular.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'll grab survival 1, seems thematic. I think that needs a spec too, will check options and add that.

Just pilot 1 to go from that list.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Survival is "the wilderness counterpart of the urban Streetwise skill," and doesn't have any specialties. If anybody missed out on one they really want don't sweat too much, it'll be possible to get it, and there's still the connections rule of you can make up a reason to connect a skill to someone else's backstory events.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Dan Jenks

As the engines power up, Dan returns to his command chair, "Strap in folks, we're airborne in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1"

Pilot/Edu Roll: 2d6+2 9

Dan, flys casual out of the starport, and once Jester hits cruising altitude, he engages auto-drive.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Here's my character page for me to link to:

Lance Sergeant Rolfin Blammeau

STR 6 (+0)
DEX 8 (+0)
END 12 (+2)
INT 3 +1 (-1)
EDU 6 +1 (+0)
SOC 8 (+0)

Skills:
Athletics 0
Vacc Suit 1
Tactics 0
Leadership 1
Heavy Weapons 0
Gun Combat 1 (slug)
Melee (Blade) 1
Stealth 0
Mechanic 0
Flyer 0
Drive 0
Gambler 0
Explosives 1
Electronic (Comms) 1
Recon 1
Survival 1
Medic 1
Gunnery 1

Possessions:
44,250 credits

Fancy TL12 Gauss Rifle, 4D, AP5, Auto 3, Scope, laser sight, gyro stab, silencer
Tl10 cloth with comp 0
Medkit

Allies:
Rosina Bamf the Hot Propagandist
Colonel Klarn the Incompetent Vargr Marine

Enemies:
Cole Merbl the crusty proprietor of the Planetary Gazette.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Smooth & easy, Sr. Scout Dan Jenks lifts off. Other than the humming of the ships systems, you can barely hear anything. Anyone looking out the cockpit sees the landscape reorient towards the east, and within moments the university, starport, all the air traffic falls away behind you and you streak towards the night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uujCe8vFXZI

You're ahead of schedule, and have about twenty minutes to mess around or do any last minute prep here on the ship. It's already completely dark out and the ground is a mix of ice cap and balefully cold mountains that would be islands on a more standard planet.

--

Soon you reach your target region:

Vic's info is right: it's a nearly pitch black frozen sea, lit by stars and other planets of the system and cryovolcanoes puking material into the thin atmosphere. Dan puts the ship into a holding pattern. Somewhere in this 1000km² patch is the goop you need. You're supposed to bring back roughly .6 displacement tons of it. The question is, exactly where is it, and how are you going to get it?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

"this boat got any guns? Could cut through the ice with a beam laser, maybe? Zzt." Rolf gestures in a circle with two fingers.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Aria Xsdottir

"These things biophotovolatic and/or bioluminescent? It being pitch dark might mean they'd stand out more if we know how to pick up such discharge on the sensors."

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 11:37 on May 3, 2023

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

sebmojo posted:

"this boat got any guns? Could cut through the ice with a beam laser, maybe? Zzt." Rolf gestures in a circle with two fingers.

you got dual pulse lasers, so you can blast the ice -- but not like a big surgical scalpel. someone will have to fly the ship upside down or sideways while someone else shoots, or you'll need to bombard from orbit to do it. Autopilot isn't going to be able to help you on either of those, even if it can cruise you around normally.

Ronwayne posted:

Aria Xsdottir

"These things biophotovolatic and/or bioluminescent? It being pitch dark might mean they'd stand out more if we know how to pick up such discharge on the sensors."

:rolldice: nooooope
According to wafer, there are species like what you're describing, but what Vic wants is unfortunately not any of that. Maybe it's some consolation that it's more common in more volcanically active areas, or at least more commonly recovered from there. Coincidentally these areas with active volcanoes are actively dangerous.

The scanners you have are military grade and not basic garbage, but they aren't advanced enough to ping generic "life signs" or be able to do super specific 3d xray internal scans of ice caves or anything. Your probes might be able to help for that.

--

gm notes: there's a way to zoom in more on these maps, but for some reason it keeps loving up and showing wrong zone info that doesn't match what's really there, or just hanging and not showing anything. This 100km resolution one is what you actually see on the sensors but i'm gonna have to just break down and mspaint more zoomed in ones if you want finer resolution. Plus when i first checked out this planet i swear i had already decided it was cryovolcanoes and when i zoomed in it had actual volcanoes in there, surprisingly. I'm tempted to see if it would be super difficult to write a script that eats map data and shits out differenter maps, but this would make me go instantly insane and probably i would open the workspace and then immediately close it and log off.

e: note 2 i specifically set this up so that a team of noobs could accomplish this and would have all the tools needed to collect everything just from their starter gear and/or ship, so even if it seems opaque there's multiple ways of swinging this into a win without having to fly back and go broke buying deep sea diving suits or some poo poo (getting the deep sea suits would have been a way to do it as well)

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 12:07 on May 3, 2023

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

How close can the probes get without melting? I assume they can handle some pretty harsh heat as long as we're not bathing in lava.

Secondly, what critters eat this algae? Especially large groups of sea critters and/or whale equivilent megafauna, it would be easier to spot them and look for algae near them than otherwise.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Ronwayne posted:

How close can the probes get without melting? I assume they can handle some pretty harsh heat as long as we're not bathing in lava.

Secondly, what critters eat this algae? Especially large groups of sea critters and/or whale equivilent megafauna, it would be easier to spot them and look for algae near them than otherwise.

Both of these are good questions. If we can send probes, that's a good start -- otherwise, are there any signs of this stuff that are detectable by our existing sensors, at least enough for a decent guess?