Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg4T4bOkc7k

Ronwayne posted:

Aria Xsdottir
She pauses [Rolf I hate to keep volunteering you for this, but like, I don't want to explode.]

Also, what's traveller's state on reviving recently dead+ preserved brain tissue? I'm not expecting eclipse phase silliness but wondering if the guy froze to death quick enough that with some questionably ethical medical experimentation might be able to bring him back to a wonderful PTSD hell existence.

somebody roll medical & or some kinda science type thing if you wanna analyze this body situation more. You can be pretty sure if there are any more traps on the ship they're not the kind that if you trip over they explode.

Ronwayne posted:

Aria Xsdottir
*Comp+int=1 - 2 vaccsuit, +2 taking time, 12
":psyduck: I loving hate that that worked."

I'm not gonna consider it you need to roll to try and plug the dude's credentials in -- having the skill, tags, and tools is good enough since the system is stably powered. We'll take this result as pulling info about the wreck.
    The results? Not terrible, not great.
  • Bridge is totally hammered and needs to be fixed to control the ship normally. You can halfass a backup by tapping into a node like this, but trying to steer or run scans or anything will be with a bane.
  • The computer itself seems damaged:
    - Fire control and maneuver subsystems seem to be malfunctioning. The actual guns and everything seem to be mostly working, but enhanced control? Dicey.
    - Some of the library may be missing data, some of it your credentials don't have access to. Otherwise you can query the logs normally.
  • Life support is also malfunctional. The bridge, starboard engineering, and half of the weapons turrets have leaks. These need either patched or sealed off to turn life support on.
  • Every system is past due for standard maintenance. This is against protocols!
  • Sensors and comms are online and reporting normal. Out of contact with the gig.
  • Armor is damaged. Not a big deal probably. Other than the breaches, hull is fine enough.
  • Something is wrong with the cargo and launch bays, this corresponds to you breaking in and overriding them.
  • The ship recognizes that poo poo has hit the fan and that you are surviving crew.

sebmojo posted:

Ok, Rolf is gonna inventory the armory as the ship looks basically secure. And yeah corpses are fine, for him to wrangle, we can put them in the bridge as that's not getting air tight any time soon (or cargo if that makes more sense).

We do have a minor issue of what to do with the corpses though. It's one thing to lose them in an engagement, but we have a bunch of them and no time pressure (hopefully anyway: Skye? Sky clear?) so we are either taking them back or respectfully interring them, in Rolfs firm opinion.

Mykkel posted:

I agree with bringing them back to Hesaim or proper internment.

"Yeah, nothing has changed with any of these signals since we arrived." Skye double checks. "Same thing -- no change. But Aria, you're creeping me out. Why don't we just put them in the cryopods for now like normal people? I'm--"

/* RESUMINظ 罒RI⬮R ꙚrᦲQSS */
There's the loud thunk as old engineering equipment begins to reactivate. It's none of the stuff Eris or Trew were working with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Trew Pisco

SniperWoreConverse posted:

somebody roll medical & or some kinda science type thing if you wanna analyze this body situation more.

"Hmm? Someone said Medic?"

Analysing this body situation more (Medic 0, EDU +1, Medikit +1, taking my time +2): 2d6+4 16 Boxcars! Finally! :yayclod:

"...as I thought. He's dead. :hmmyes:"

After medic'ing, Trew'll spend some time putting bodies in cryopods.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
In theory it could be possible to bring someone back from the absolute brink of death, so much so that it would appear to any reasonable -- even highly educated -- person that you've basically resurrected the dead.

Assuming they died under the right conditions and their brain and maybe other parts were preserved well enough... Well, it's said there is factually -- or there are at least rumors of -- advanced medical technology existing. You know, secretive biofabrication facilities, mysterious research laboratories of dubious ethical rigor. That kind of crap. Sounds kind of fake, honestly, where would anything like that ever happen? You clamp the last body into cryo preservation like the door to a beer fridge.

Hesaim has both fabricators and artifical gestatiors. Clone vats and stuff like that. Cybernetics. Not the best in the galaxy, or even the sector, but highly advanced research systems. Vic might have some kind of lead on this sort of thing if it's that fascinating to you.

On La Psolea the engineering sounds stop and a different set of sounds begin.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Aria Xsdottir

"Er, uh," what is that sound?" she asks as she queries the computer for its current tasks/log sheet.

Comp+Edu= 5

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
⥬iquefy unrefineꂐ 嘝 зuel: in progress
Deac✇ivating M⢝Drive: in prTgᛥess
Divertin뤎 ⥠ 骴eserve fuel: complete
Astrﻊogation Plot: cⶠmplete
 Corᚧidor 2701 Hesaaa > Corridor 2901 Qqwe;

WAБNING: J-Drive not mїintained
WARNING⤠ ࿵sin㉏ 찄nrefined fuel
WAAAA  | Within 100‱diameter li머it
   E∆ERGENCⒾ 糕UMP T -6m48sssssssssssssssss

Uh yeah, if this thing shuts off the M-drives it'll for sure have enough power to try and jump. Technically it could squeak by if it shut off even just most of the unneeded systems like guns or something instead.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

"NERDS," yells Rolf, " can we get this poo poo locked down before we jump into a fuckin NEUTRON STAR"

More usefully he's gonna yell out some orders so the technical people don't trip over each other trying to get this fixed:Leadership, getting the geeks working together as smoothly as possible: 2d6+1 8

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Aria Xsdottir

"Oh crap oh crap oh crap. ROLF, COME WITH ME, BRING A CUTTING TOOL, AND THAT BRICK OF BOOM IF YOU STILL GOT IT." [@Skye, the J-drive is live, its charging, cut the cable connecting the ships and get clear! We're trying to stop it but you don't want to be caught in the jump bubble!]

While the nerds do their thing, Aria checks the ship schematic and runs for where the j-drive fuel lines are, unslings her ACR and revs up the chainsaw bayonet. "If the nerds fix the situation, they can replace the lines, if they can't, the lines need to be cut RIGHT NOW. If we can't cut the fuel lines we'll need to blow the j-drive off before it jumps us! We can fix that if we survive too, help me!"

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Mar 13, 2024

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Trew Pisco

"poo poo! Shutting down the reactor now!"

Trew dashes to Port Engineering and the recently repaired reactor and hits the emergency shutdown button. He then heads to the J-Drive engines and starts pulling it apart as much as he can, even if it injures him.

Shutting down reactor/stopping J-Drive (Engineer 0, EDU +1): 2d6+1 9

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Eris Jeffers

"poo poo, poo poo, poo poo." Eris starts routing power away from the J-Drive, shunting it into competing manuevering thrusters to keep the Psolea in the same location, and tries to reduce the reactor output to the minimum needed to keep the computers on.

power engineer + int: 2d6+3 13

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

sebmojo posted:

"NERDS," yells Rolf, " can we get this poo poo locked down before we jump into a fuckin NEUTRON STAR"

More usefully he's gonna yell out some orders so the technical people don't trip over each other trying to get this fixed:Leadership, getting the geeks working together as smoothly as possible: 2d6+1 8

Alright you can hand off two +1s, but they can't be to the same character, or yourself.

Ronwayne posted:

Aria Xsdottir

"Oh crap oh crap oh crap. ROLF, COME WITH ME, BRING A CUTTING TOOL, AND THAT BRICK OF BOOM IF YOU STILL GOT IT." [@Skye, the J-drive is live, its charging, cut the cable connecting the ships and get clear! We're trying to stop it but you don't want to be caught in the jump bubble!]

While the nerds do their thing, Aria checks the ship schematic and runs for where the j-drive fuel lines are, unslings her ACR and revs up the chainsaw bayonet. "If the nerds fix the situation, they can replace the lines, if they can't, the lines need to be cut RIGHT NOW. If we can't cut the fuel lines we'll need to blow the j-drive off before it jumps us! We can fix that if we survive too, help me!"

Roll melee (blade) + dex to start chopping fuel lines. Because they're, you know, completely unresisting fuel lines and you need to just not accidentally miss and chop some other critical thing like high voltage conduit, ignore the -2 from wearing a space suit. But there are 4 lines total, two for each drive. How fast can you rip through these without blowing your own rear end off?

"What do you mean, jump bubble!?" The construction bots cast off from the Naug and clamber up back into the wreck. Skye begins navigating away. "I wouldn't jump it if I were you."

Cloud Potato posted:

Trew Pisco

"poo poo! Shutting down the reactor now!"

Trew dashes to Port Engineering and the recently repaired reactor and hits the emergency shutdown button. He then heads to the J-Drive engines and starts pulling it apart as much as he can, even if it injures him.

Shutting down reactor/stopping J-Drive (Engineer 0, EDU +1): 2d6+1 9

She says something that comes across comms as untranslatable, "-- know if you hit that we'll have to start over with the core again, right? You know, right?"
You can for sure cut system power but there's a chance it might blow out the one working reactor. Are you confident enough that 9 is good enough? You do have a shitload of parts, but *makes weighing motion with hands* eh?

Mykkel posted:

Eris Jeffers

"poo poo, poo poo, poo poo." Eris starts routing power away from the J-Drive, shunting it into competing manuevering thrusters to keep the Psolea in the same location, and tries to reduce the reactor output to the minimum needed to keep the computers on.

power engineer + int: 2d6+3 13

There's a groan from the wreck. It begins to shudder under the competing thrusts and forces. The construction bots reel the transfer line in after themselves. The computer's fighting you for control of the drives and keeps trying to reroute power back.

Every input you slam in it matches, almost instantly. It is, after all, a machine.
   E⚛E❶GENC࿚ ꦿUMP T -6mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Aria can have a +1 on her line chopping, and Trew also gets +1 on shutting down the reactor.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yeah in that case it's gonna be 10 & whatever gets rolled. What jump drive are we talking about cutting fuel from?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Aria Xsdottir

quote:

What jump drive are we talking about cutting fuel from?

(Which ever one trew is not working on atm, followed by the other, if he gives up. )

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZ 11

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Roll init (2d6 + INT or DEX), & if Trew pushes the button also he also rolls it, that way we can determinate exactly how this plays out

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

init: 5

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Trew Pisco

Trew's reasoning: if this derelict ship jumps, everyone on board is dead. He's pushing that button even if the reactor he just repaired explodes and kills him.

Initative (INT +0): 2d6 4

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4SV02NV2mo

Ronwayne posted:

Aria Xsdottir

(Which ever one trew is not working on atm, followed by the other, if he gives up. )

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZ 11
init: 5

T -666666666666666666666

Aria hauls rear end into the starboard side engineering pod and starts cutting into the dorsal fuel line. The teeth start grinding down slow, and it looks like she's gonna stall out but easing up and going back in takes care of the problem -- within seconds the whole section is flooding with pressurized liquid hydrogen!

Roll athletics (dex) or (end) + DEX or END (or just one of those stat modifiers if you don't have the skill)

Almost as quickly as it started, the computer detects the fault and slams the transfer valve for that conduit shut.

Cloud Potato posted:

Trew Pisco

Trew's reasoning: if this derelict ship jumps, everyone on board is dead. He's pushing that button even if the reactor he just repaired explodes and kills him.

Initative (INT +0): 2d6 4

T -5m5555555555555555555
  ----------------------
          ------
            --

The computer, the M-drives, artificial gravity, everything is entirely powered down along with the reactor itself. She's almost as cold and dead as when you first showed up.

"What's your status? You've gone dark, are you alright in there!?"

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Aria Xsdottir

Her helmet is on and visor down but she still feels the need to burble as if being hit with a firehose. Dex+ath+1 -2vacc suit= 5. [WE'RE ALIVE, just had to SHUT. DOWN. EVERYTHING. to kill the j-drive]

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 15, 2024

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
you know what roll the same thing but strength

E: actually roll literally anything to try and mitigate getting hit by the pressurized fuel gonna be real you're not gonna wanna get hit by this and would probably know there's fuel in those lines

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 15, 2024

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

5 this -2 roll to everything is kicking my rear end lol.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
lmao see my edit,
1 more chance on this if you can think of something good on this that would make sense that isn't "jump out of the way" baby brain concepts

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rolf is in there, dragging her out:

Ath and end: 2d6+2 14

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Welp , here was my roll:

Everyone says you use shotguns, not heavy slug throwers, on board ships because they won't blow out the sides. However in this case that's exactly what she wants and as she is sprayed by awful garbo her instinct is to pull down the trigger while aiming at a wall and then shove the severed hose through the breach so it spills outside.

Gun combat, why not, 7

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Mar 15, 2024

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ronwayne posted:

Welp , here was my roll:

Everyone says you use shotguns, not heavy slug throwers, on board ships because they won't blow out the sides. However in this case that's exactly what she wants and as she is sprayed by awful garbo her instinct is to pull down the trigger while aiming at a wall and then shove the severed hose through the breach so it spills outside.

Gun combat, why not, 7

"Small arms won't go through hull metal, also take your goddam finger off that trigger," explains Rolf as he drags Aria out the door and slams the door closed.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Ronwayne posted:

Welphere was my roll:

Gun combat, why not, 7

What you're looking at is absolutely not a hose, this is a high pressure cryogenic gas line that's basically insulated with idk future asbestos and kevlar. Hyperweave. Think more along the concept of liquified natural gas or even the gas pipes in a house or apartment or something. If it was a flexible hose and was loose like that it'd slice you in half worse than Rishi. But this... is going to work if the gravity is shut off in time.

--

as an aside the way i'm taking this fuel line trap situation is that to shoot somebody you have to roll an 8, right? so if the stream of fuel is blowing out of this thing at you, it has to get 8+ to "hit" in a kind of woo-y way. Or you need to get 8 for it to miss? Adding the effect from your chop, not even as a task chain, just adding the overflow, you're deadass tying this thing both times lol. Without a more better roll to kinda get over the hump of not getting a facefull of cryogenic compressed hydrogen that slams you into the ceiling, I gotta go back to the

effect results: 0 posted:

Marginal Success: The Traveller barely succeeds at the task and may have to accept a condition on their success. They fix the engine but it will overheat. They find a buyer for the goods but the buyer is an untrustworthy criminal.

Notably better than the failure that caused the whole grinding across the docking bay fiasco, but not great. I rolled the damage die for not doing the "nitty gritty checking the whole effects results table" method -- yeah you... would be in mega deep poo poo. I mean i checked this and i was like "eh what's the chances it's that big a deal?" Cause rolling it without it being a draw came up 30. Aria'd be taking 15 damage, after what her suit tanks. That would instantly KO & basically cripple you for a while if there wasn't kickass medical aid right away. It came up kinda high for the number of dice but uh maybe I should be double triple checking these.

--

The line ruptures and begins ejecting fuel, but you're stuck. Fuckin stuck, saw wedged in good. The lights go out -- are out. Inside the suit HUD lights start flashing. Instinct takes over, you pull the trigger, and are spinning in the dark, blind, senseless. You can feel the cold and see your breath condense inside and can't read the hud and know it's not supposed to be like that.

sebmojo posted:

Rolf is in there, dragging her out:

Ath and end: 2d6+2 14

Luckily it doesn't matter, cause at the last second Rolf busts in and tackles Aria away from what was the brief but deadly gas stream. She seems... fine. Some frost on the outside, a little embrittlement, but there's no real chance of cracking or damage as long as she warms her suit back up slow. The suit monitors return to normal, except for the low temp warnings. These things aren't designed for direct contact with these sorts of conditions. You bonk harmlessly off some equipment and float back the other way. Microgravity, yeah, not these insane temperature swings.

--

After poking around more, it seems to basically be it. There's for sure no more hidden traps or weird bullshit inside the wreck itself, or directly nearby. Skye is able to get the two ships docked together and you can freely transfer whatever you want. You are able to locate all the existing non-corrupt memory cores and everything and should be able to actually boot this thing without it flipping out and trying to escape because it thinks it's still in combat. You can refill you air cans on the Naugahyde or in La Psolea's airlock without any difficulty, and you're able to reactivate the reactor without it blowing up or irradiating anybody. The hydrogen leak is minor, not actively leaking more, and can't even explode because there's no oxygen.
    Whoever has these, or even just wants to attempt them, roll me these things:
  • Admin + INT, EDU, or SOC (to do any last minute help with the paperwork claiming the wreck)
  • Advocate + INT or EDU (same as above)
  • Astrogation + INT or EDU (Path back to a landing zone)
  • Electronics /
    - Comms + EDU or SOC
    (see what the traffic in system is like, maybe shmooze something)
    - Computers + INT or EDU
    (repair and get the computer ready)
    - Sensors + INT or EDU
    (use La Psolea's more advanced sensors to scan for nearby objects)
  • Engineer /
    - M-drive + EDU
    (try to DIY maintenance on it)
    - J-drive + EDU
    (same as above)
    - Life Support + EDU
    (fix &/or same)
    - Power + EDU
    (same as above)
  • Gunner /Turret + EDU (double check these are good to start blastin')
  • Mechanic + INT or EDU (help generally fix the ship and do maintenance)
& OFC if you have something else or some other idea you wanna try to cram in here -- then do it.
I'll crunch these and convert how good the rolls are into how much time it takes to get everything online and ready to do the actual missions these vargr want to hire you for.

The main things you need to fix are going to be focusing on the bridge, computer, maybe life support and you know, landing gear and general structure -- if you intend to actually fly this thing anywhere. It'll never be truly safe or sane to land it directly on an earthlike planet though, so while it can be done, it will be a good idea to try and recover or buy a gig or something that can transport sophonts. You can use Sledj's ship shares to do this, ofc, but the more you can poach out of the ice out here the further those shares can be stretched, and if you ever end up needing a sickbay with an autodoc but don't have it you're gonna be pissed it's not there.

Right now, according to Skye, the sensors still seem fine and nothing odd is going on. With the way things are set up (imagine a kicking rad map where the ships are floating in the ice and it looks incredible af, perfectly scaled, 5d rotational, :discourse:), you can essentially do whatever you want and your only time limit is if anybody from the outside interrupts you.

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Mar 15, 2024

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Aria Xsdottir

She doesn't object to Rolf seizing control of the situation, largely because she kinda wants this to be forgotten as quickly as possible. Once the shitshow is confirmed to be stabllized she helps the nerds put the OS and firmware back together.

repair and get the computer ready, elec (Comp)+edu+taking time=14

When she has a moment of peace where she's not being hampered by the space suit, Aria puts together the final salvage work as well as articles of incorporation, largely because she doesn't feel like assuming unlimited liability for an entire space ship. Psolea Stellar Services LLC will do and if anyone objects to the :effort: name she'll file a Doing Business As later.

Admin+Edu+taking time=13

(Both of those were without the -2 no-vacc-suit penalty, apply if relevant.)

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Eris Jeffers

sensor +int: 2d6+5 16
engineering (power) + edu: 2d6+2 13
Engineering (life support) +Edu: 2d6+1 11

Eris tests out the Psolea sensor suite once Aria gives the all clear on using the computers again. After making sure everyone understands what the sensors are showing, he returns to engineering and starts working on repairing what he can here on the reactor and life support.

How does using Engineering for a specialization you don't have work?
Also, it looks like we lost the other players, can we roll up some hirelings to handle some of these skills we don't have. Wouldn't help us in right this instant, but it would likely help in the future.

Mykkel fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 15, 2024

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Mykkel posted:

How does using Engineering for a specialization you don't have work?
Also, it looks like we lost the other players, can we roll up some hirelings to handle some of these skills we don't have. Wouldn't help us in right this instant, but it would likely help in the future.

same as anything else, if you have any rank in it (including even one at zero) you have all the ranks @ zero.
the vargr have some different weird skills, there may be some other options also. Probably most of these are not gonna be rebuilding derelicts, but you never really know what comes up. Even Trew has pilot 0 so assuming he doesn't back up into an asteroid it should be probably mostly hopefully fine.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

same as anything else, if you have any rank in it (including even one at zero) you have all the ranks @ zero.
the vargr have some different weird skills, there may be some other options also. Probably most of these are not gonna be rebuilding derelicts, but you never really know what comes up. Even Trew has pilot 0 so assuming he doesn't back up into an asteroid it should be probably mostly hopefully fine.

Got it, I'm going to throw in a engineering(life support) roll to my post.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Trew Pisco

"Everyone OK?... Thank goodness. That's enough for now, I'm heading back to the Naug, refill my ox and my belly."

-----

"Right then, second shift. I'll look at getting propulsion sorted."

M-Drive repair (Engineering 0, EDU +1, toolkit +2, taking my time +2): 2d6+5 8
J-Drive repair (Engineering 0, EDU +1, toolkit +2, taking my time +2): 2d6+5 13

"And as for getting back to Hesaim..."

Plotting Psolea's course (Astrogation 1, EDU +1, zero parsecs 0, taking my time +2): 2d6+4 14

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rolf is gonna review comm logs leading up to the disabling of the ship, and also see if there's any hints about the emergency jump. Did the computer try and contact anyone?

Reviewing comm logs, taking time: 2d6+3 9

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
aw man i totally hosed up the giant update, please hold sorry
(accidentally hit some key combo that closed the tab instead of previewed post)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

aw man i totally hosed up the giant update, please hold sorry
(accidentally hit some key combo that closed the tab instead of previewed post)

Ctrl shift t brings back a closed tab i think

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoWRum_-X1I

Ronwayne posted:

Aria Xsdottir

She doesn't object to Rolf seizing control of the situation, largely because she kinda wants this to be forgotten as quickly as possible. Once the shitshow is confirmed to be stabllized she helps the nerds put the OS and firmware back together.

repair and get the computer ready, elec (Comp)+edu+taking time=14

When she has a moment of peace where she's not being hampered by the space suit, Aria puts together the final salvage work as well as articles of incorporation, largely because she doesn't feel like assuming unlimited liability for an entire space ship. Psolea Stellar Services LLC will do and if anyone objects to the :effort: name she'll file a Doing Business As later.

Admin+Edu+taking time=13

(Both of those were without the -2 no-vacc-suit penalty, apply if relevant.)

You can lose the suit, life support is gonna be online + space ssh. It's fine.
You're able to repair the computer. Mostly. There are still some issues.
    Core dumps contain several pieces of information that you're able to use to help with the paperwork:
  1. La Psolea jumped into the system and refused to comply with local authority, for whatever reason.
  2. Fighters were scrambled and were able to intercept. It didn't go well for the Imperials.
  3. The captain saw the way things were going and ordered the emergency jump out.
  4. Focused fire eventually breached the hull and knocked the computer offline. This'd be the hole in the bridge.
  5. The computer has no idea what happened after this.
Seems pretty cut and dry, as far as Hesaim is concerned. They're fuckups and if they'd just played ball none of this would have happened. The Imperials may disagree -- could be a good idea to avoid Empire space or Imperial Client States with this thing, it's going to be fairly hard to hide its origin as a military vessel. Skye is of the opinion it's nbd at least for clients as long as you have a no-poo poo Baroness with you, but this seems overoptimistic. Like a lot of poo poo, it might be hard to know. She doesn't believe there are going to be many or any expeditions into Empire territory, ideally this is going to be the case or you can somehow bluff your way through.
    There are some additional problems that show up along with the normal diagnostics:
  • Evade /1: Corrupt. Either battle damage or sitting out here accumulating gamma ray bursts messed up this datawafer.
  • Fire Control /4: Same. These are enormous programs and you can't be overly shocked.
  • Jump Control /5: Actually it comes up fine. Extremely lucky because this is the a critically important program slotted in.
  • Library: Mostly fine. Out of date, but that's easy to fix. Some encrypted segments are not accessible with the credentials you have or some serious cracking work.
  • "Manoeuvre:" Fine. She can be piloted normally without worry of accidentally flipping upside down or anything. Fuckin' posh Imperial spelling.
  • Intellect: Mildly corrupt. So. A ship is a complex system that needs to receive commands, translate them to actions and then relay the results back. This is, uh, mildly messed up.
Basically what this means is that under normal circumstances the ship itself would be able to detect and evade incoming fire, and aim and shoot the turrets, or feed guidance information to sophont pilots or gunners who are evading or gunning. These programs still work. Technically. They just don't work correctly. There's a chance that instead of assisting with tasks instead the computer will entirely gently caress up and feed wrong info or blow out a nearby conduit or something like that. Nobody who expects to get into trouble regularly is going to want anything to do with them, although they could be worth some credits to some cheapass. Usually these programs would be tremendously expensive, maybe worth the smallest kinds of ship all on their own.

If you decide to, you can eject these corrupt datawafers. It's a process to insert or remove them, but not a roll unless it's in combat or some consequence-sensitive situation.
You may want to copy over all the libraries and other software from the Naugahyde at some point. Not a roll or anything you may want this very second but that translation stuff etc... there's no time penalty for this.

The intellect is corrupted as well, but not as bad. Rerunning the diagnostics, it absolutely with certainty is accepting and executing commands, even if they're vocal or through a console, it's the results side that are somewhat garbled. This is fixable and actually something you can ignore for now, but not really good for long term. Technically you could overwrite La Psolea's intellect with the Naugahyde's or something, but probably you don't want to do this out here in the ice. It's not really reasonable to operate a ship without one. You can fix this by just overwriting it with any generic intellect or by upgrading it with a pseudo-personality -- either of those are easily available on Hesaim itself for pretty cheap.

As it is, it's not a "turn your monitor off and back on" type fix, it's "punch it and see if it descrambles" sort of problem. All interactions with all subsystems are working correctly and there is no worry about it doing anything weird or odd on its own.

--

The paperwork: this data from the computer is pretty useful and really, data archeology? Hey maybe somebody should ask Sledj if he got some spare wafers on it! You got this completely handled extremely well. Everything is totally perfect, all the Ls are crossed, all the Ts are dotted, this is flawless. If the cops show, you wave this thing and they back off, you need to land, and you can be sure the port authority tows out some scrub tier loser to make space. Skye agrees, looks amazing, 500% correct.

There is for sure zero chance of this ever loving up in any way ever. You could fly this thing up a duke's rear end in a top hat without problems. Probably.

Mykkel posted:

Eris Jeffers

sensor +int: 2d6+5 16
engineering (power) + edu: 2d6+2 13
Engineering (life support) +Edu: 2d6+1 11

Eris tests out the Psolea sensor suite once Aria gives the all clear on using the computers again. After making sure everyone understands what the sensors are showing, he returns to engineering and starts working on repairing what he can here on the reactor and life support.

Cassini, actually. Visual shows nothing interesting, but...
Sensors: Crushed it, with the all the previous sensor data from before it is as if the ~veil is lifted~ and all the complexity and difficulty of having to use only the Naugahyde's civvie sensors falls away.
    Nearby are several objects that may be of interest:
  1. Some point source or tight debris field. It could be something like a fighter.
  2. Same. Like the others, these are all cold, dark objects.
  3. Same. No emissions.
  4. Same, except this one is bigger than the others. Potentially La Psolea's gig, or a heavy fighter.
Unfortunately you can't get clear visuals on what these things might actually be, because of the ice field -- you're in the same plane instead of above or below it, and it's physically blocking your line of sight. The miltech sensors are substantially better normal ones, but they don't have advanced densometers or anything like that and can't probe inside. If you ever do get into a fight you can try and jam enemy locks, you've got jammers.

If you decide to, you can investigate these objects or ignore them. They're not ice, but you can't tell exactly what they might be from here.
Only real cost to investigating these diversions is burning time, and any potential hidden hazards you may uncover, or getting nothing. Upsides? "Maybe incredible loot!"

Power: With judicious use of parts, you're able to get the second reactor online and running. Power systems are stable with minor fluctuations near 96%. Try not to get into a situation where you've got to overload anything. Particularly the M-drives, which draw hard and almost certainly will be a continuous load.

Life support: Same thing. The construction robots clamber around the outside with parts and patch panels are able to assist you in repairing any hull breaches to basic safety standards, although the armor itself is not really great. The system clears out the extremely thin atmosphere of cold fuel gas and starts replacing it with normal, breathable air. You wouldn't describe it as smelling "good." Vaguely like old dusty tar and metal salts.

Cloud Potato posted:

Trew Pisco

"Everyone OK?... Thank goodness. That's enough for now, I'm heading back to the Naug, refill my ox and my belly."

-----

"Right then, second shift. I'll look at getting propulsion sorted."

M-Drive repair (Engineering 0, EDU +1, toolkit +2, taking my time +2): 2d6+5 8
J-Drive repair (Engineering 0, EDU +1, toolkit +2, taking my time +2): 2d6+5 13

"And as for getting back to Hesaim..."

Plotting Psolea's course (Astrogation 1, EDU +1, zero parsecs 0, taking my time +2): 2d6+4 14

The M-drives look to be in great shape for their age and having had the ice blasted off of them, although they're not super incredibly great. It takes a substantial amount of replacement parts to ensure they're not going to go entirely to poo poo themselves on the way out, even though you checked this before and they were alright -- the power systems supplying them -- these M-drives are fat, and they're hogs for juice. Making them compete against themselves as a power dump to avoid jumping got them out of wack for a little while there and they needed more parts replaced just to be certain there are no balance problems stressing the hull and that you can't drift off course. Probably it would have worked well as a strategy to stop the jump if the computer hadn't been able to override.

The J-drives also aren't that a big deal to fix up and ofc demand the most fuel out of anything -- Aria didn't exactly chainsaw the positron emission arrays or anything, just the one fuel line. These seem to be in good order and are not going to fail or explode, especially on the way back to any starport in-system.

From this position it would be fairly dumb to actually jump, although looking at your fuel situation there's not really anything stopping you from doing so if you wanted to waste an entire week sitting in a wreck not eating. Getting from Hesaim to the ice belt took a little while, this thing is dramatically faster, even if you were to baby the thrusters. 80% power is still twice the thrust of Naug's 100%.

sebmojo posted:

Rolf is gonna review comm logs leading up to the disabling of the ship, and also see if there's any hints about the emergency jump. Did the computer try and contact anyone?

Reviewing comm logs, taking time: 2d6+3 9

Checking it out, it's simple. It tried to connect to the gig, failed, and dropped establishing a connection from the list of things to do. Very tight timetable, after all.

sebmojo posted:

Ctrl shift t brings back a closed tab i think

Yeah, brings back a nice empty text field lol.

--

Alright. La Psolea is as fixed as you can fix her yourselves. According to my advanced calculations, this took merely :rolldice::rolldice::rolldice::rolldice:

An even two tons of spare parts. You've got 8 left iirc, and can use them to keep repairing the hull or just keep them for later and use Sledj's ship shares for the last repairs. Polish the armor back in drydock.
And 36 hours to do all this. The wreck... was a wreck. However! It's now flyable and in basic spaceworthy condition. Taking less time would have been significantly faster, and but would have surely meant taking up way more parts, possibly most of what you brought. That or more risky.

You can safely dock with any orbital facility, and can land on any planet with a very thin atmosphere like Hesaim. You can absolutely try to land directly on planets with thicker atmospheres, but it will be harder than normal (-2). Fuel scooping from ice fields or gas giants is normal. Probably you're going to want to get this thing checked out at a real starport before doing anything crazy.

--

At Skye's insistence, currently 3/4 of the construction bots and their associated components remain deployed and clamped down on the outside of La Psolea in case anything goes amiss with the hull. There's nothing incredible they can do to automatically repair anything, but they can at least try to prevent sohponts from getting sucked into the void. They stay away from the M-drives so as to not get blasted to bits the second anyone powers the thrusters above 0%. You've got 4 tons of repair parts in the wreck, 4 still in the Naugahyde along with the fourth construction kit, but there will be zero issue switching these between either ship however you please until you're underway. All the bodies recovered from the wreck are frozen in Naug's cryoberths.

La Psolea is ready to head for your destination. Hesaim is recommended and has the most serious starport in the system, but you can go elsewhere if you want to super bad. If you want to go somewhere else i got the list i can pull up. Skye is not going to be super pleased if you make her fly the entire Naugahyde back entirely alone. Likewise Helen will probably be pissed off if you do this, because pirates or something could come out of nowhere and try to extort her or some bullshit. At the same time having anyone trying to pilot La Psolea solo might end up being a recipe for disaster. How you manage this is up to you, but trying to keep the two ships together is going to mean keeping to the thrust level of the slowest ship unless you want to get creative.

When you're ready to leave the ice whoever wants to, roll pilot spacecraft + DEX to actually leave. This is to make sure you didn't gently caress up and aren't going to detonate anything. You can task chain if you wanna roll shifts or whatever, maybe make this go as smooth as possible.
Then do the same thing to actually land.
You don't have to bother doing these rolls for the Naugahyde btw.

Alternately, if you can come up with some other better plan to get outta here, post it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Let's investigate those blips, the bigger one is maybe the gig and slotting that would be a nice bonus if it's vaguely spaceworthy.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Yeah we should check that one out now, but leave the rest for later. The sooner we get the Psolea back to Hesaim, the quicker repairs will be done. But I'm guessing the gig will need repairs as well, so might as well get it now.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Concur.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Trew Pisco

"Sounds like we're all in agrement. Check out the big blip. I assume Wilson's staying on the Naug, so who's the best pilot here?"

Trew looks around at all the expectant faces.

"Oh, you gotta be-"

~Gilligan cut!~

Flying La Psolea towards the big blip (Pilot 0, DEX -2, taking my time +2): 2d6-2+2 9

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
searching for gifs is worse than trying to generate ai images these days everything is crap lol. how do i clear my metacache or w/e

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0uQucBg5M0

"Mm, alright, stay safe. Let me know if there's any issues... otherwise I guess it's time to get going? Do you have enough food?" Yes. "Fuel?" Also yes. Skye seems incredulous but unless there are objections she & Wilson will take the Naugahyde back now, it's at least a little bit of a head start.

you throttle up gently and everything seems to hold together. Particles from the ice field spatter and fragment against the hull and armor, much like hail, if it were cold enough to start freezing some parts of the atmosphere. The computer occasionally half-cheerfully half-grumbles status reports as you approach SIG⩤ATURE D. Hull integrity is fine. Systems are operating normally. The construction bots are not getting pulverized.

You reach easy visual range, pull some data:

This, except it's absolutely shot to poo poo.

So it was the gig. Or somebody's gig. Would be extremely nice to have, easily get to planetary surfaces, carry some people and cargo. That's what, 4 people and a few tons? Maybe swap out the tons of cargo for some more seating or something, if you had to? Much more robust than an air/raft, even an enclosed one. It can dock with other things, zip around, has serious life support, and can scoop its own fuel if you ever had to. A real gun turret even!

It's also visibly ripped open, but not completely apart into shreds. It's an open question if this is worth anything more than scrap metal. It very well could be worth trading skills, parts, and time. Or it could be an insane sinkhole. You can't easily just scoop this entire thing into the ship and keep flying, either. It is much smaller and should be easier to deal with than La Psolea tho. Real belter stuff to go out and grab this thing, half like mining asteroids by hand. Without getting your hands on it and looking up close, it's going to be borderline impossible to know if it's ever going to be spaceworthy again.

You're going to have to go out and wrangle it into the docking bay, or do a mini salvage job, or just leave without looking into anymore than this.
Roll something like Vacc Suit + DEX
if you plan on taking or investigating it
or just roll the pilot + dex to leave & land @ Hesaim
obviously you can stack task chains and whatever skills you can think would contribute to anything. It isn't weirdly rotating or orbiting anything, it's just pretty well punctured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rolf will suit up and head over with a construction bot and a cable then we can winch it very carefully into the hold. No time pressure so taking it real slow.

Vacc suit, taking time: 2d6+3 9

Same deal with investigating the wreck, at least for the basics: recon, Investigating the wreck: 2d6+3 11