Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Aria Xsdottir

After making sure the construction materials and enough food, fuel, air, etc are loaded onto the Psolea, Aria gets sleep in her own room and once the object is in sight she heads up to the bridge to man the computers and do backup drone work if needed. This kind of serious jump-right-out-into-loving-nothing is for space heros only and one of them just volunteered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Well, if you don't wanna just let Rolf hang out there with a 9 to pull it in, roll it. You got electronics computers, so you got remote ops at zero, or sensors at zero, even if you're not doing something specific with the comms or computers rn. Each individual task is obviously a different roll but it's not like you can't do more than one thing -- you can task chain with yourself if you want.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Aria Xsdottir

:psylon:

Sensors: 7

Remote ops: 9

Both taking time.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
yeah this is way enough to both scope out the wreck safely and cram it into the docking bay / cargo hold without having to worry about making GBS threads parts across half the system.

There's no weird traps or anything. There's a gunner and pilot, def dead, def it's a mess. This thing didn't really have armor and it shows. Whatever weapon was installed is basically blown off, although the turret mechanism itself is still functional, or at least physically present. No passengers. Must've just been trying to get one more gun into the fight? From what you can tell, yes, this is absolutely the gig that belonged with La Psolea, and these were crew. The gig's locker contains your basic supplies for such duties, some basic guns, a few emergency effects, that kinda thing. There's no cool cargo to loot. The airlock can be made to function so you can get in and out while it's in the docking bay.

The direct driving the bots and some assistance from Rolf are enough to get it loaded up. The frame's not really warped or anything extreme, but the hull's peeled back a little and there's some loose chunks that need cut off that you can just huck into cargo for now. Not looking optimal, but someone with real engineering and computer expertise will need to go over it.

In terms of salvaging entire spaceships, this was not a great score.
In terms of being broke travellers this would be an awesome score.
It is several tons of alloys and some personal equipment at least, and theoretically can be put back into service.

Getting to Hesaim is going to take you maybe less than a day, so you're going to have a little bit of time to kill, but not a hugenormous amount. Maybe not enough to rebuild the gig.
    any number of people gimme some rolls like maybe:
  • Electronics
    - Comms
    - Computers
    - Sensors
  • Engineer
    - M-drive
    - Life Support
    - Power
  • Mechanic
  • Gunner (Turret)
    all with EDU or INT.
This would be to see how spaceworthy the gig may be or if it is gonna be something you just want to scrap instead. You can roll like let's call it uh each person can do 4 of these unless you take time, in that case you're completely focusing on one specific problem.

The more you can stack up on getting a plan together to get it fixed, the more easier it's gonna be to actually try to do the end repairs. (As a dumb side note i'm basically pulling this from something that happened to me irl, where it was a real "woah wait what the gently caress how'd that happen" situation, and having a group of people working together to fix the issue dramatically improved things compared to zoning in on one specific aspect and then yeah, you do make a more progress on that, but it's not as overall effective as a whole approach kind of deal can be. Ofc if you do have someone loving it up it will rear end up the situation worse.) If this seems like bullshit call it out.

Certainly if you want to do something else instead of staring at a wrecked gig for 20 hours you can do that instead.

Alright, now if you don't have anything else to do in the ice do the Pilot roll to get back to Hesaim, otherwise ofc do what you actually want to continue do out here, or go somewhere else.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Eris Jeffers

"Wow, this thing is torn to poo poo." Eris starts working on repairing the gig, his clothing being irrepairably stained shortly into the adventure. "Love the smell of hydraulic fluid in the morning" he quips at one point when fluid leaks out of a part that should not have hydraulic fluid in it.

Rolls are not necessarily in order of repairs:
electronics (sensors) +Int: 2d6+5 16
Engineering (power) +Int: 2d6+3 9
electronics/comms +Int: 2d6+3 14
Engineering (M-Drive) +Int: 2d6+2 13

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

(for the other objects i recommend a basic sensor sweep to see if its anything worth dealing with at close range. Also with the Psolea's main computer online is their any bonuses or different features now that i'm working with an actual system rather than trying to run everything off of iphone 5673?)

Aria Xsdottir

"Oh boy, more stiffs, I guess sort 'em with the others, uh. Lemme grab their credentials in case I need them for getting into the systems later."

Computers: 13
Sensors: 2
Comms: 4
Recon on bodies: 5

Orokos being a bit bipolar today.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 20, 2024

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rolf is kind of weirdly pumped about the gig, something about having one in some mission on Baalaansh V. Just him and the guys, dropping in under the radar. He chatters away about the way the air smelled as the hatch popped and the way they'd modified it to fit more grunts in power armour in. He's quiet about what imperial marines were doing that far inside the Core, though, and doesn't respond to questions about it.

Pulling out the wiring harness and checking for breaks, taking time (elec +2): 2d6+2 9

Leadership, coordinating the various people working on it:: 2d6+1 5

Stripping down the turret and checking the actuators taking time (gunnery): 2d6+3 7

Stripping off the damaged plates, seeing what we can salvage, taking time (mechanics): 2d6+2 10

(add any bonuses for tools, sorry I forgot what we have - maybe a +1 on mechanics and electronics?)

"And yeah let's swing past those other two blips, I'm guessing they're the in-system riders that took down the gig, seems kind of cold-blooded they just left them here. We got any historical records about why this happened, apart from 'intruded on sovereign space? Seems a little thin for a ship that was just trying to refuel if there's not active hostilities? Psoleas is an Imperial ship (?he'd know if it's not by this point based on the corpse tags?)."

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Trew Pisco

"Gods, more flying? I dunno how Wilson copes with all this stress..."

Flying La Psolea towards the small blips (Pilot 0, DEX -2, taking my time +2): 2d6-2+2 4 So much for my No Claims discount...

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cloud Potato posted:

Trew Pisco

Flying La Psolea towards the small blips (Pilot 0, DEX -2, taking my time +2): 2d6-2+2 4 So much for my No Claims discount...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry81Exmgq9s

"Trew we've been through some scrapes and you're solid as hell, don't get me wrong, but maybe we need to hire a dedicated flyboy."

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Mykkel posted:

Eris Jeffers

"Wow, this thing is torn to poo poo." Eris starts working on repairing the gig, his clothing being irrepairably stained shortly into the adventure. "Love the smell of hydraulic fluid in the morning" he quips at one point when fluid leaks out of a part that should not have hydraulic fluid in it.

Yeah generally circuit boards are not hydraulically actuated. It's going to take time.

Ronwayne posted:

(for the other objects i recommend a basic sensor sweep to see if its anything worth dealing with at close range. Also with the Psolea's main computer online is their any bonuses or different features now that i'm working with an actual system rather than trying to run everything off of iphone 5673?)

Calling it unless you leave the plane of the ice field you won't be able to actually see what you're approaching until you're pretty close up. Sort of like the astronomical version of being in a snowstorm or something like that -- literally tons of crap in the way. If you leave the ice you can look down (or up, no difference in space) and examine these things better. They say if you need to hide anything in space the best place is a ring system, and the second best is an asteroid belt.

Other than the corrupt but mostly functional programs, the encrypted segment, and the goofy intellect, it seems to be Empire-standard. That and it's military grade hardware. It doesn't seem like they've sprung for any specialized active anti-intrusion software beyond the standard. But the hardware, now that it's put together and functional, would generally dissuade the kind of casual hackjobs that caught up Jester's Revenge. Everything's pretty tight. Not that Scout Service is the same thing as civilian, but this is a Navy ship. You'd need either a team of professionals or a legitimate expert to try and pull that off.

sebmojo posted:

Psoleas is an Imperial ship (?he'd know if it's not by this point based on the corpse tags?)."

It is for sure, no doubt. The actual gig rolls we'll compute when you all leave to head back. If you want to investigate more about the history of the ship it may be best to try and contact someone you know or actually check things out at the university -- all the interesting stuff is either blanked out or behind the encrypted segment.

Cloud Potato posted:

Trew Pisco

You reach visual range. It appears to be at least part of a fighter

⚠ IMPACT ෴ARNIN⧔ ⚠
:siren: COLᕗISION DETECTED

a glittering field of debris that spreads out unrecoverably in all directions. The ship doesn't appear to be damaged any extra than it was before, but, you know, gotta get used to some of them bugs, work the controls out, some get used to it all a little bit there. It'll buff out.

Whatever the object was is now totally obliterated by smashing into it.

--

If you want to check out the other signals, you don't need to roll for them, but they will take up time, Trew's got the controls handled pretty well.
But, to actually pull off a landing or docking maneuver you're are gonna have to roll a successful Pilot + DEX some kinda way.

P much when you successfully do it once you're good. When you decide to leave the ice field for real and go to your destination I'll crunch the numbers on the gig and we'll see what it's going to look like to get it up and running (or not).

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
fyi to land at a spaceport safely you only need to meet or beat a 6. Which means 5+ is like the bareass minimum to not directly turbo gently caress up and potentially die. The lower you get below that the more likely you are that someone gets actually hurt in the landing. But if this roll botches mega bad you might be able to turn it around instead of smashing directly into the university by doing things like:
  • having someone else with pilot help like maybe picking up Skye beforehand or something
  • calling into the tower with a comms roll to request extra guidance info
  • obviously taking time will at least give +2 which is kinda needed
  • some other type of bs you make up and sounds plausible
it's landing out in the wilderness that's 8+ or more, which depends on the terrain. So you don't have to do this exactly right goddamn now but i think when the time comes you'll prob be fine.
Fuel scooping has some trade offs that with this ship are more complex than usual but hell it's free fuel. Not a huge cost but it does add up.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

(have rolf yell at you, that for some reason makes nerds work better instead of just jam the nearest red button in panic)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ronwayne posted:

(have rolf yell at you, that for some reason makes nerds work better instead of just jam the nearest red button in panic)

Rolf would never yell at his pal Trew, he might die he's fairly frail

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Trew Pisco

"Fairly frail? I saved your gorram life not two days ago, and now this sass? I'll show you!"

Flying La Psolea towards Hesaim (Pilot 0, DEX -2, taking my time +2): 2d6-2+2 8

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
    On your way out of the ice field you're able to analyze the gig pretty comprehensively:
  • The electronics are essentially going to be fine. The sensors, computer, and comms are no incredible masterwork of sophistication but have held up well. It's very likely that they just need basically cleaned up and simple maintenance to get working again. No specialized software requirements. The usual.
  • The engineering side of things, maybe a bit worse. Chonky systems liable to get shot off. The reactor isn't the worst, but it's not exactly great. M-drive you believe you've got a good handle on, but it's in worse condition than La Psolea's M-drives. Life support? Pretty complex. Looks rough. You've got limited time and generally it's not supposed to be oozing heat transfer fluid. Nothing here is pristine.
  • Possibly most important is the physical structure of the gig itself, if this isn't ok then the whole thing has to be scrapped anyway and nothing's worth examining in the first place. The turret is currently not really able to rotate correctly and there are of course massive gigantic holes all over the loving thing. But, it's not entirely ruined. Internal load bearing components seem largely fine, other than a few damaged sections. Fuel, weapon, armor: wrecked, wrecked, wrecked.
  • Overall you can estimate hull integrity is very roughly at <10% at best. The plan you've got together to fix this thing is pretty strong, honestly. Maybe the internal systems are something like 60% functional. ~ish? Hopefully?
    Hard humbers:
  • Worst case in which you're completely wrong but can still fix it: it costs something like MCr4.2+ worth of repair parts to patch this thing up, assuming you waste absolutely nothing. That's more than 10x the parts you have on hand + the Naug, and would take days to weeks, and assumes the life support system isn't literally completely destroyed beyond repair.
    (this is also roughly both the cost and tactical effectiveness of one serious marine in powered armor :jeb:)
  • More optimistic case: :shrug: maybe half or some smaller fraction of this. It extremely depends on your ability to work with what you've got. At minimum if you expect to actually fix it you're in for ~Cr700,000+ worth of spare parts to seal up the holes. That's not even counting things like putting a laser in the turret. This would leave you with one ton of spare repair parts and assumes you fix every system to basic standards without needing spares.
Realistically if you want to try to fix the gig you're going to want to buy a lot more spare parts, just in case. Seems like it can be done and can even be done in the space of one jump, through the magical power of getting your hands dirty. Otherwise you can try to pay to have it fixed, but it is likely to cost nearly as much as just buying one. Alternately if you can fix a subsystem you can scrap it out or just scrap it as-is. It may be cheaper and more comfortable to replace this with something like enclosed air/rafts -- though they would be slower, able to hold less cargo, and more fragile.

Unfortunately there's not much interesting with the dead servicemembers' credentials or personal effects that you're able to find with them or in the main computer.

Skye has already forwarded the needed credentials and paperwork to the space cops (occasionally known as scops), so that's not a problem. La Psolea has a berth reserved at GD, a naval architecture firm which is known for more high-class, reputable clientele. They'll be able to do any repairs or changes quickly and to-specification. The Naugahyde is going to be docking at the normal starport and will be slightly later.

Cloud Potato posted:

Trew Pisco

"Fairly frail? I saved your gorram life not two days ago, and now this sass? I'll show you!"

Flying La Psolea towards Hesaim (Pilot 0, DEX -2, taking my time +2): 2d6-2+2 8

While everyone else is gigging off there has to be somebody holding it down and getting the job done, and once again Trew comes thru with the main objective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZF5Qs9ZMCM

The tower guides you in, and although computer chirps a few warning signals you float on down as smooth and easy as a single falling leaf upon a placid pool. Landing gear deploy correctly, clamps secure without any issues. You're down.

This berth has a large cover over it to protect the contents from the outside, and before it even closes -- before your own airlocks could even cycle -- a team of technicians are out attaching fuel lines and diagnostic cabling to ports on the outside the ship -- or they would be, except they're immediately foiled because all of these connections are blocked off by military hardware. Secure access only. Telling the computer to let them connect opens these connections. There's the densometer though, that's not going to be blocked by anything you can do for now. Articulated scanning arrays pan across the hull, looking for damage or nonstandard alterations or who knows what, categorizing the internal structure, probably comparing it all to some architectural library system.

Off to one side are a pair of construction mechs, much more robust than the drones you used during the salvage mission. They've also got drat near two hundred tons of standard cargo containers that are marked as parts, as well as standard components and some other stuff you can't quite make out -- some of the external cameras are still busted. All this is currently inactive, waiting for instructions.

On the other side, though, the starboard side where you would disembark through the airlock, you can clearly see Owen is finalizing some paperwork. It's on actual physical paper and she's using a metal seal to do it. The bwap (what, attaché? administrator?) who's accepting this paperwork is clearly not comfortable with the situation because he's getting smushed down under what's obviously more force than is strictly required and definitely more than what he's used to dealing with. Owen herself isn't wearing jack anymore, but has gotten a set of real combat armor from somewhere. Not exactly power armor, but she doesn't give the impression that she's going to be pushed around.

She abruptly pulls back the seal, "I suppose this is it?"
"Ah, y-es. We will contact you immediately with any further questions or concerns."

Owen walks up to the airlock, and when she sees you haven't even deployed the ramp yet she starts yelling at the door: "Well are you going to come out? Or do we need to break in!?" The clerk is aghast.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Aria Xsdottir

"Oh hey time to get yelled at. Let her in, I suppose." Aria has been writing up a manifest/wishlist for what she wants to purchase which will be in order soon (read: as soon as I can have a look through of the books again).

(also this adds up to about 1.5 weeks for training purposes, correct?)

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Trew Pisco

"Hey Boss!" Trew says, a little sleepier than usual. "Found a spaceship, fixed a spaceship, flew a spaceship. Trew sleep now?"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SniperWoreConverse posted:

On your way out of the ice field you're able to analyze the gig pretty comprehensively:
  • The electronics are essentially going to be fine. The sensors, computer, and comms are no incredible masterwork of sophistication but have held up well. It's very likely that they just need basically cleaned up and simple maintenance to get working again. No specialized software requirements. The usual.
  • The engineering side of things, maybe a bit worse. Chonky systems liable to get shot off. The reactor isn't the worst, but it's not exactly great. M-drive you believe you've got a good handle on, but it's in worse condition than La Psolea's M-drives. Life support? Pretty complex. Looks rough. You've got limited time and generally it's not supposed to be oozing heat transfer fluid. Nothing here is pristine.
  • Possibly most important is the physical structure of the gig itself, if this isn't ok then the whole thing has to be scrapped anyway and nothing's worth examining in the first place. The turret is currently not really able to rotate correctly and there are of course massive gigantic holes all over the loving thing. But, it's not entirely ruined. Internal load bearing components seem largely fine, other than a few damaged sections. Fuel, weapon, armor: wrecked, wrecked, wrecked.
  • Overall you can estimate hull integrity is very roughly at <10% at best. The plan you've got together to fix this thing is pretty strong, honestly. Maybe the internal systems are something like 60% functional. ~ish? Hopefully?
    Hard humbers:
  • Worst case in which you're completely wrong but can still fix it: it costs something like MCr4.2+ worth of repair parts to patch this thing up, assuming you waste absolutely nothing. That's more than 10x the parts you have on hand + the Naug, and would take days to weeks, and assumes the life support system isn't literally completely destroyed beyond repair.
    (this is also roughly both the cost and tactical effectiveness of one serious marine in powered armor :jeb:)
  • More optimistic case: :shrug: maybe half or some smaller fraction of this. It extremely depends on your ability to work with what you've got. At minimum if you expect to actually fix it you're in for ~Cr700,000+ worth of spare parts to seal up the holes. That's not even counting things like putting a laser in the turret. This would leave you with one ton of spare repair parts and assumes you fix every system to basic standards without needing spares.
Realistically if you want to try to fix the gig you're going to want to buy a lot more spare parts, just in case. Seems like it can be done and can even be done in the space of one jump, through the magical power of getting your hands dirty. Otherwise you can try to pay to have it fixed, but it is likely to cost nearly as much as just buying one. Alternately if you can fix a subsystem you can scrap it out or just scrap it as-is. It may be cheaper and more comfortable to replace this with something like enclosed air/rafts -- though they would be slower, able to hold less cargo, and more fragile.

Unfortunately there's not much interesting with the dead servicemembers' credentials or personal effects that you're able to find with them or in the main computer.

Skye has already forwarded the needed credentials and paperwork to the space cops (occasionally known as scops), so that's not a problem. La Psolea has a berth reserved at GD, a naval architecture firm which is known for more high-class, reputable clientele. They'll be able to do any repairs or changes quickly and to-specification. The Naugahyde is going to be docking at the normal starport and will be slightly later.

While everyone else is gigging off there has to be somebody holding it down and getting the job done, and once again Trew comes thru with the main objective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZF5Qs9ZMCM

The tower guides you in, and although computer chirps a few warning signals you float on down as smooth and easy as a single falling leaf upon a placid pool. Landing gear deploy correctly, clamps secure without any issues. You're down.

This berth has a large cover over it to protect the contents from the outside, and before it even closes -- before your own airlocks could even cycle -- a team of technicians are out attaching fuel lines and diagnostic cabling to ports on the outside the ship -- or they would be, except they're immediately foiled because all of these connections are blocked off by military hardware. Secure access only. Telling the computer to let them connect opens these connections. There's the densometer though, that's not going to be blocked by anything you can do for now. Articulated scanning arrays pan across the hull, looking for damage or nonstandard alterations or who knows what, categorizing the internal structure, probably comparing it all to some architectural library system.

Off to one side are a pair of construction mechs, much more robust than the drones you used during the salvage mission. They've also got drat near two hundred tons of standard cargo containers that are marked as parts, as well as standard components and some other stuff you can't quite make out -- some of the external cameras are still busted. All this is currently inactive, waiting for instructions.

On the other side, though, the starboard side where you would disembark through the airlock, you can clearly see Owen is finalizing some paperwork. It's on actual physical paper and she's using a metal seal to do it. The bwap (what, attaché? administrator?) who's accepting this paperwork is clearly not comfortable with the situation because he's getting smushed down under what's obviously more force than is strictly required and definitely more than what he's used to dealing with. Owen herself isn't wearing jack anymore, but has gotten a set of real combat armor from somewhere. Not exactly power armor, but she doesn't give the impression that she's going to be pushed around.

She abruptly pulls back the seal, "I suppose this is it?"
"Ah, y-es. We will contact you immediately with any further questions or concerns."

Owen walks up to the airlock, and when she sees you haven't even deployed the ramp yet she starts yelling at the door: "Well are you going to come out? Or do we need to break in!?" The clerk is aghast.

Fuckin Vargr. Rolf slaps the airlock open and yells at him. "Some of us have been working and risking our necks on fuckin' salvage duty, not sitting on our furry asses getting fatter! Get in here, you better have a bottle of something good in there." Rolf has p much had it with these snouty assholes. If this leads to a bloodfeud, well so be it (that said he has his old Vargr Colonel bud as a cultural reference point so if it would be plainly obvious to him this is catastrophically offensive he'll maybe take another tack, maybe not)

Leadership: 2d6+1 10 in case it warrants a roll

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Eris Jeffers

"A drink and a shower before a bed sounds heavenly."

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

(also i'm terribly confused about the exact amount of cash/resources I have atm. There's whatever I've been paid, plus scrounged plus the ship shares+ ? + ???)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ronwayne posted:

(also i'm terribly confused about the exact amount of cash/resources I have atm. There's whatever I've been paid, plus scrounged plus the ship shares+ ? + ???)

there's a spreadsheet, it's not super up to date but we have a decent amount of cash on hand (~250k) plus a lot of ship shares given we just rented a ship for free to get a ship for free and now just need to repair it, and we had enough to buy a ship outright so there should be a bunch left over. Basically consider yourself to have an even share of party resources to keep things simple.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Ronwayne posted:

Aria Xsdottir

"Oh hey time to get yelled at. Let her in, I suppose." Aria has been writing up a manifest/wishlist for what she wants to purchase which will be in order soon (read: as soon as I can have a look through of the books again).

(also this adds up to about 1.5 weeks for training purposes, correct?)

As soon as the ramp extends out enough to have formed a ledge Owen jumps up and starts walking as it continues under her, mushing the buttons on the intercom.

You get a call from her cheapo comm & it's not so much that she's here to yell at you as that she doesn't seem to know how well you can hear her: "I think the thing is broken, could you open the -- oh the stench not -- ok bye." The translator doesn't really handle it great, but you get the idea, and if you didn't she's already disconnected anyway.

For training, :shrug: what, fixing the gig? I'm not gonna consider working on it training unless you can talk me into it tbh. According to my reading of the normal rules training is supposed to be like "study" and "literally training yourself" and unlike other systems using a skill is not the same thing as working on it -- seems there's no on the job training and no real fake it till you make it: this is doing "8 hours a day" of study or training. 8 weeks of this you then roll to see if it sticks. Kinda bullshit because if you have crap for edu you're double hosed in that your learning is going to be slow and you're also capped. You can never improve jack of all trades.

If you're in jump or something I would call it that you can both work on fixing the gig and also do training. Really if you wanted to double down on study you could cram in 16/24 hours of training into one day like a fuckin lunatic i guess.

Cloud Potato posted:

Trew Pisco

"Hey Boss!" Trew says, a little sleepier than usual. "Found a spaceship, fixed a spaceship, flew a spaceship. Trew sleep now?"

Owen has her helmet on and deadpans out: "Nope. I'll be herding you back for a little while. Then you do you what you want, baby boy."
She swishes her tail a little.

sebmojo posted:

Fuckin Vargr. Rolf slaps the airlock open and yells at him. "Some of us have been working and risking our necks on fuckin' salvage duty, not sitting on our furry asses getting fatter! Get in here, you better have a bottle of something good in there." Rolf has p much had it with these snouty assholes. If this leads to a bloodfeud, well so be it (that said he has his old Vargr Colonel bud as a cultural reference point so if it would be plainly obvious to him this is catastrophically offensive he'll maybe take another tack, maybe not)

Leadership: 2d6+1 10 in case it warrants a roll

:rolldice:
(+ from her actual sheet, so...)
Owen is not imperial, not even from anywhere near spinward space, and not terribly impressed.

Her suit audibly hisses and the visor flashes into an opaque mirror for a moment, before returning back to normal. "Ok." She leans over and grabs you by the shoulder. "Let's move it along now," -- she sort of just gently but firmly uses one leg as leverage and starts scooting you through the airlock -- "you won't need to worry yourself about your goods."

Owen's pretty fuckin' tall & flexible, pretty fuckin' strong & maneuverable -- and while you can fight her on this, it's going to be you that looks like the rear end in a top hat. Trew maybe is joking about Owen being the boss, the guys outside with the seals and papers? No.

Mykkel posted:

Eris Jeffers

"A drink and a shower before a bed sounds heavenly."

"That, we have."

Owen also explains as she heads down the ramp that you can leave whatever you like on the ship & the architecture firm will be happy to deliver it anywhere on the planet, or simply inventory and store it there for you.
"Ma'am?"
"Hm?"
"The Contract?"
"The contract."
"The Contract:" and the clerk Owen was dealing with before peels off the front leaf of the contract, which is quite big, rolls it into a tube, and puts it into a kind of scroll case.
He offers it up to Owen who languidly tucks it under her arm. "Of course, the contract, thank you. Anything else?"
"No, madam." He peels off the second leaf, which is a copy of the first, and puts it into his own tube.
Owen opens her helmet up. "A digital version?"
"Already transmitted."
"Good."

Owen leads you up another ramp and around a carpeted walkway that lets you see La Psolea from all angles, and really it's no small accomplishment you've recovered this thing. The other side of this walkway is a large single polymer pane without any seam that looks out on the wilderness terrain outside the life supported area.

Gauvain-Dýr has a large and fancy shipyard on Hesaim, much like their other yards on other planets, and has apparently recently upgraded their security system to match the more aggressive Port Authority standards. Getting accidentally lost would probably not be a great idea. You head up through a lift, Owen checks you all out, and you find yourselves in the more expensive part of the town that surrounds Hesaim's port.

Ronwayne posted:

sebmojo posted:

there's a spreadsheet, it's not super up to date but we have a decent amount of cash on hand (~250k) plus a lot of ship shares given we just rented a ship for free to get a ship for free and now just need to repair it, and we had enough to buy a ship outright so there should be a bunch left over. Basically consider yourself to have an even share of party resources to keep things simple.

"Yeah." Owen starts rooting through a little bag. "You paid Hellen I think one and one quarter MCr to use their ship. Save the details for later, now we should go collect Skye & Wilson. Do you need anything here right now?"
There's a bunch of fancy shops and such. Remarkably few sell practical items of immediate direct use, but if you want anything Owen will barge you through and potentially give the owners heart attacks, if they have hearts.

Otherwise she's planning on dragging you back to Sledj's. "We can hike. 300km, easy -- don't want too fat an rear end."

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Trew Pisco

"If we've still got things to do, then let me grab a coffee and a snack first. Large Minty Mocha and a Chocolate Nemesis if they've got 'em, please!"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rolf doesn't want a fight, he just wants appropriate professional respect and a mission profile from Vargr that seem averse to providing either. Happy to move with Owen , he just grabs his rifle case. "Ok, let's go then. What's the plan, we just gonna hole up until the ship is fixed? Who are the hostiles you're expecting, or is the armour just to impress the port staff? Should we weapon up? What have you arranged for transport?"

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAwocrtx47w

sebmojo posted:

Rolf doesn't want a fight, he just wants appropriate professional respect and a mission profile from Vargr that seem averse to providing either. Happy to move with Owen , he just grabs his rifle case. "Ok, let's go then. What's the plan, we just gonna hole up until the ship is fixed? Who are the hostiles you're expecting, or is the armour just to impress the port staff? Should we weapon up? What have you arranged for transport?"

She seems almost perplexed. "No? None, no. If you want. Nothing." Pretty clipped. "Just headed back to the University, Rolf."
Owen's armor seems sort of like how Von's was, but maybe less pricy. The colors & insignia are different, but it's in a similar sort of military tradition.

Outside the architectural office is a domed-over atrium that's several stories tall and connects to some other high end establishments. They've got trees in here, actual flowing water, and the inscribed dome above you gives the effect of a huge star chart showing what's got to be most of the subsector. Hidden arrays play upbeat music and there's some tasteful holograms regarding various topics. Not even all of them are advertisements -- apparently these plants are the fruits of some collaboration between the Institute of Botany and the nearby systems.

Cloud Potato posted:

Trew Pisco

"If we've still got things to do, then let me grab a coffee and a snack first. Large Minty Mocha and a Chocolate Nemesis if they've got 'em, please!"

Owen suppresses a grossed out reaction and buys the stuff from a kiosk -- there are no vending machines here, everything's staffed.
Her phone rings and she waves you over to grab it and deal with the change. "Yeah. Hm. Hm'm. Yeah. Ok..."

anybody who feels like it roll recon/streetwise/survival +INT or +SOC

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Eris Jeffers

anybody who feels like it roll recon/streetwise/survival +INT or +SOC

recon + int: 2d6+4 12

Eris has his head on a swivel now that the group is not in a confined space, he's still not sure how he ended up a space popsicle, and doesn't want to repeat the experience.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Aria Xsdottir

Aria look around this very fancy place and wonders how many shopkeepers and mall cops will instinctively swivel their heads in her direction. She add to Trew's order with a large enough coffee to fill a canteen and watches what happens.

Int+streewise=10

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 26, 2024

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89Nk9pdXlZk

Mykkel posted:

Eris Jeffers

recon + int: 2d6+4 12

Eris has his head on a swivel now that the group is not in a confined space, he's still not sure how he ended up a space popsicle, and doesn't want to repeat the experience.

There's more than just plants in here, but some animals in the trees too. Fish in small artificial ponds. Some are large, and one eyes both your group and Trew's food unblinkingly. Hesaim's high tech and all, but they seem a little too realistic to be mere holograms.

Where the central trees are growing upwards is mostly empty space (where you could fall to certain doom), then outwards from that a series of ledges and naturalistic stones with smaller plants project towards the trees. There's the occasional little waterfall. Past this is a velvet cordon and a more normal walkway, then there are the occasional kiosks, mostly facing outwards towards the bigger "real" stores and establishments, but staggered, so that no patrons coming or going will ever have an interrupted view.

Nearby, on the other side of the cordoned-off area, almost close enough to touch, is a creature about as tall as you, particularly big, tall enough that you can look right in its eye. It's birdlike -- with a long, coiled neck and a long beak -- and the color of its feathers is hard to describe. Not blue. Not green. Hazy. The skin is clearly yellow in the few places where it does show. It's perfectly absolutely still. You can almost make out your reflection in its eye...

Ronwayne posted:

Aria Xsdottir

Aria look around this very fancy place and wonders how many shopkeepers and mall cops will instinctively swivel their heads in her direction. She add to Trew's order with a large enough coffee to fill a canteen and watches what happens.

Int+streewise=10

The coffee is expensive but not eye-wateringly so, and not as good as how Vic makes it. Owen's money covers it and the clerk is, if not doing backflips, genial and not being an rear end in a top hat. There is zero obvious police presence or security of any kind at all. Not out here. Maybe they got internal security or something. You'd put money on it. But unlike in the University itself it seems out here they aren't quite as stuck up at least.

But you catch Eris checking this thing, and nobody else is even clocking it whatsoever. It could reach out and just eat Trew's lunch. Maybe. It looks like it could easily reach over the rope and grab whatever it wants. And it's not little, it looks like it could just grab somebody's kid, or at least a baby. Literally nobody around here is paying any attention to it at all. You'd say it's maybe moderate-low traffic tho.

"Mhm. Hm. Ghz yeah ok good bye." Putting her phone back, Owen asks if you have everything you need for now.
Then she whispers, "Are you looking at some thing?"

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Eris Jeffers

Nearby, on the other side of the cordoned-off area, almost close enough to touch, is a creature about as tall as you, particularly big, tall enough that you can look right in its eye. It's birdlike -- with a long, coiled neck and a long beak -- and the color of its feathers is hard to describe. Not blue. Not green. Hazy. The skin is clearly yellow in the few places where it does show. It's perfectly absolutely still. You can almost make out your reflection in its eye...

animals + int: 2d6+2 8. Eris is desparately racking his memory on what this thing might be.

"Mhm. Hm. Ghz yeah ok good bye." Putting her phone back, Owen asks if you have everything you need for now.
Then she whispers, "Are you looking at some thing?"

"I think I am. I'm really hoping it's not a carnivore."

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Aria Xsdottir

Ari feeds the bird equivalent with some of the indescribable miscellaneous aged granola-substitute she finds in one of her pockets, throwing it up in the air so the thing doesn't charge her hand or spit venom or whatever dumb xeno thing it does.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 26, 2024

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Mykkel posted:

Eris Jeffers

animals + int: 2d6+2 8. Eris is desparately racking his memory on what this thing might be.

"I think I am. I'm really hoping it's not a carnivore."

It's clearly not a Hesaim-native, but maybe some intermittent gatherer? Maybe it's just waiting for a chance to scoop up food someone's going to leave behind like a vulture might?
"I don't see it. What are you talking about?" Owen sniffs, trying to be subtle.

Ronwayne posted:

Aria Xsdottir

Ari feeds the bird equivalent with some of the indescribable miscellaneous aged granola-substitute she finds in one of her pockets, throwing it up in the air so the thing doesn't charge her hand or spit venom or whatever dumb xeno thing it does.

You toss the stale half-crumbled "grains" and it leaves without making a noise, jumping through the foliage and gliding away to a lower level. Owen starts -- she completely missed it until it moved.
"Please don't feed the animals," the barista explains. "Some have specialized diets, and really shouldn't be over-socialized anyway. Is there anything else I can get you?"
Apparently there are several different kinds that have been gifted as parts of some agreement or another, the workers don't actually know where they came from or what they actually are, only that they're neat to look at but really not pets and not supposed to be messed with. There's probably an infoterminal you can look this stuff up at, but they don't particularly care themselves.

Unless you've got anything else you want to check out here, Owen figures it's best to go grab the others and take the train back to Sledj.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rolf is ready to top up his S's, so no objections, let's hustle.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

yeah

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Eris agrees to move along quickly.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Trew takes a big slurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrpp of his coffee, and follows the others.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Well, whatever it was the creature clambers back along the bole of a tree. Its legs seem to be feathered like wings as well, the arm wings have clawlike hands, and its tail is long. If it wasn't completely still and silent it would have been much more obviously a living creature around such bright red and orange leaves.

You leave yourselves. The way back is pretty uneventful. Owen & Skye do a kind of smooch and seem pretty glad everyone's come back in one piece. Wilson comes along to get paid and you make it to Sledj's office where there's a conversation. Again.

"We've already established that we have earned precedence here. What business you want brought, deal a different date. Another day or week."
"This is ludicrous, I--"

Before you can eavesdrop any further, Owen slaps the door open. "Not this again. Out. Out. Out-out-out-out."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaQeJkfP6Pw

She grabs a short greenish human and throws her out of the good doctor's. Within seconds she's on her feet with a knife out.
If you want, roll Melee or Mil Tactics + INT or EDU
  Roll Initiative  
"poo poo." Seeing that she's dramatically outnumbered, whoever she is, she changes her mind. She puts the weapon away. "You'll pay for this."
"Not this loving year."
She spits and walks off, and a splotchy dirtbag kind of guy has to chase after her. They go the opposite way you came. The route Von came in from.
There's nothing that makes either of them stand out, particularly, but if you want you can roll streetwise + INT or something else to glean more from this.

Inside the office itself is Professor Sledj, ofc, and Vic. Aeng is there, as well as Helen and one of the Naugahyde's old crew. Not much is particularly different. Sledj may be losing hair. Aeng greets Skye the same way Owen did, but she's not happy about this throwing people around.
"I might've done it more diplomatically."
"Well you didn't." Owen stops paying attention and starts reading the paper.
"Professor, if I didn't know better I might suspect you have a type," Skye butts in.
"I should have retired. I'm going to get a stress disorder."
"Hardly. Things went well."

The vargr look at Sledj, who boops some controls on his computer and nods. Doesn't seem like there's any trouble, so might as well get down to it:

Skye has already sent in a report of what happened, but she also explains the results and overall how the mission went down, and what her recommendations are. Looks pretty good. She's confident that everything can be bolted back on in respect to the gig, and that this crew is pretty up to "it," as in the general mission. "Probably we will need to get a dedicated pilot or some pilot assist, assuming Wilson takes his cut and walks."

"Megacredits can make it." Aeng also has good news that things have been going smoothly planetside. Ideally with Dyr on the job the ship should be ready for service in less than a week. They're able to retrofit any form of ship equipment that's expeditious (read: in the books i got or if it's plausibly not ridiculous bullshit), and TL 15 or less, as long as there's enough ship shares to pay for it. Furthermore the previous wheeling and dealing you did actually helped a lot in setting things up.

Owen has no meaningful input. If you wanna roll something like recon/streetwise/diplomacy/gvegh + INT or SOC. If Eris is doing this, do it with a boon.

Helen is, obviously, pretty glad nobody got gruesomely killed and that nobody detonated her ship. The gun was a great idea and worked well. It seems like a solid decision to keep working with you if there's an opportunity to do so.

Vic has been working with the survivors of the lab catastrophe. Not enough time has passed to make any meaningful progress. There has been no form of communication from Das.

--

So finally we wrap back around to Sledj and "what is it?" What is this whole rigamarole, what is this mission, what's the point of all this? What's with all this insane danger and what may be borderline crimes and all this kind of crap?
"Well. It's like this..." If you wanna roll anything for more info, or do anything instead of hearing out Sledj this very second, do it now. You can ofc ask questions and bullshit with the other people, etc.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

No, Rolf grabs some coffee and parks up on the comfiest-looking unoccupied chair.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Aria Xsdottir

Int+melee=6
Int+streetwise=8

Aria has flashbacks to watching this exact kind of shithead get into fights in all night diners and back alleys and bars, sometimes it wasn't even her.

"Sledj you are working on more people wanting to beat your rear end than I ever had threatening me. That ain't a good thing."

She plans on asking for some refits and kit and whatnot but it looks like everyone is still happily suprised there were no major fuckups.

int+streetwise second time=8

Aria has some things she wants to bring up and ask for but its for after payment and whatever else is discussed.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 28, 2024

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Eris Jeffers

Owen has no meaningful input. If you wanna roll something like recon/streetwise/diplomacy/gvegh + INT or SOC. If Eris is doing this, do it with a boon.

recon + Int: 3d6k2+4 10

Eris takes a seat, "This is going to be good."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Ronwayne posted:

Aria Xsdottir

Int+melee=6
Int+streetwise=8

Aria has flashbacks to watching this exact kind of shithead get into fights in all night diners and back alleys and bars, sometimes it wasn't even her.

"Sledj you are working on more people wanting to beat your rear end than I ever had threatening me. That ain't a good thing."

"Well, it isn't exactly like that. The University has worked with people across charted space since its founding."

At any casual glance it seems like these are the kinds of shitheads that would get into fights, but most of those kinds of shitheads don't carry monoblades. Sure, it's not impossible. Not likely either. But it could punch through armor. They were still wearing what seemed like normal clothes.

Like Von, and now Owen and Aeng, they had some symbols -- you might call or think of 'em as gang colors or something but that's not what this is, not exactly. Owen seems to be acting pretty much normal and as usual.

Mykkel posted:

Eris Jeffers

recon + Int: 3d6k2+4 10

Eris takes a seat, "This is going to be good."

When Skye gets to the part about how Trew took initiative and dangerously jumped out the airlock, and then p much saved half the crew and all that, she does perk up and take notice. He did really risk his life and was able to deliver results.
She also notices you eyeballing her.
"Now that I consider it, I do have some input on this mission."
"And what would you have done?" Skye wonders.
"Naugahyde has a cargo crane. Approach the wreck, extend the crane over the center of rotation, and match spin." She puts her arm out and lowers a cup onto a saucer while turning it. "Deploy the construction robots, burn off the ice with the laser drill, break in. No jumps without a tether needed. Go in and out from the cargo bay."
"...ok."
"Ok."
"Ok."
"Ok."
"Ok."
"Ok--"
"Okay moving along, I wouldn't necessarily describe the situation as 'good' or 'bad.' Like most things there's a certain level of complexity." Sledj continues his explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Llce8drOMus

"The Baroness Uerrgno has for some time -- before she was a baroness of course -- been involved in the antiques and antiquities trade. Some would describe this more like 'illegal trafficking of cultural artifacts,' which is certainly an unsubstantiated lie."
"Certainly." Aeng is pretty impassive.
Skye seems like she wants to make a crack about something but changes her mind.
Owen keeps reading.

Sledj looks into the dregs of his coffee for a long minute as if he's going to read the future from them, but if the divination fails or not, he can't get out of the past. "In some ways this woman made my career. I owe her, but this isn't entirely about that, it's about, ah... well now that--"
"Our mother is dead."
Helen gasps -- Vic is consolatory. "I didn't know. Is there something we should do? I'm sorry--"
"Don't be. Aeng has the right attitude." Skye isn't openly resentful or anything, but. "She wouldn't be described as good."
"Neglectful? ...no? Not entirely stupid either. Senile or not she's gotten the last laugh. We need to dispose of this final will of hers -- absolutely asinine -- and all her surviving progeny have to be there, in person, as if it's some sort of dumb drama reel."
"Yeah reel clusterfuck. She didn't have just us three, and most left when they could. Some died. After awhile she handed the job she never bothered doing off so she could 'retire.' When she croaked word went out and most were able to come back or at least reply."
"Skye's right, and has tracked all of our siblings. Taken together the situation should be simple. Instead, we may end in a regime-changing war. Centuries of careless oversight are about to bubble over. Because now that bitch is dead and one child's missing and Aud cannot be officially confirmed as the Baroness. No one can. This has to be covered up until then."
"Everyone's been accounted for except Kisuzdzueti." Skye sighs. "She's the oldest and was always a weird loner."
"Weird or not while on Hesaim we've confirmed her archeological curricula -- all that. Then, after some fieldwork?" Aeng shrugs. "Offgrid. Awol. However they say it rimward."

Sledj admits that a handful of people from Uerrgno "have found themselves fast tracked in certain colleges and departments within the University. But I don't handle fieldwork directly and have limited ability to influence placement. Swinging Baltazar as a loan is one thing, trying to shunt someone into a project I'm not directly responsible for is another. If you had selected that ship and then absconded, I'd be in very bad shape."
Owen is finally moved to talk again. "We'd airlock them, Sledj."
"I'm sure it won't ever come to that. But you can see the problem at hand is fairly serious. Plus, Vic and I have been leaning on the School of Engineering. In a minor way, to help certain projects along. Both beneficial to Hesaim itself and other, much lower technology systems in the nearby subsectors, worlds that could really use a leg up and may wish to remain unaligned as well. The threat of Imperial colonization or forced integration with the Manifest isn't a hollow one."

Aeng is blunt. "What the future holds cannot be known. We're not asking for a blood pact or for you to join House Uerrgno. We're asking for help finding Kisuzdzueti or reasonable proof she's dead. If you won't help, you won't speak of this."

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Mar 29, 2024