Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

Glad I found this thread!

I currently on year four of being Cubmaster, and year five of being Den Leader. My son is now an Arrow of Light Scout having started in Kindergarten as a Lion. I've ran 4 Pinewood Derbies and have planned and executed tons of other bigger events like bike rodeos, camp outs, hikes, and other fun stuff. We go camping at Dinosaur Valley State Park in Texas at the end of this month.

I am also currently working on my Wood Badge ticket goals. Wood Badge 140 Eagle Patrol Circle Ten Council woop woop. I will be finished up with my goals by spring of next year. One of my goals is to run a Pinewood Derby for a Pack that does not have access to a track or the hardware/software. Wood Badge was amazing, and I highly recommend it to people who may be on the fence about it. It definitely boosted my Scout spirit and made me excited to continue being an Adult Leader.

I love being a Scout leader. It can be confusing at times, mentally taxing, and can take up some time. But it is all for the greater good. I know I have had a positive influence, not just on my son, but many other kiddos. When I am at a big event that I planned, executed, and lead, I will step back to take a snapshot of all the kids having fun with their parents and making memories. It is all worth it to see that.

Plus I like earning patches and poo poo for myself. Who am I kidding I am indeed in it only for the patches and fire. Once I get Journey to Excellence paperwork turned in, I'll be eligible for the Scouters Training and Cubmaster's Key knot awards.

Our Pack committee's not so secret plan is for us to take over a local troop. It is a smaller one, and the leaders there have been doing it a long time. They want to step away from leadership, and focus more on being merit badge counselors and such. I can't wait to also add Scoutmaster to my Scouting resume.

I'm happy to help any new Cub Scout Adult Leaders with any questions you may have. I love the uniform, and I love helping people learn proper patch placement, etc. I have also gotten pretty darn good at Pack meetings, Den meetings, and basically navigating the whole system to make things happen. I am still learning the Troop side of things though. So I may come here to ask any questions about that if I have them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I earned my Arrow of Light from Cub Scouts, but I never earned Eagle. I don't think I ever got to First Class. My parents divorced when I was 12, so that put a stop to Scouting for me as a youth for quite a while. Once I turned 16 (and could drive myself) I realized how much I loved it, and decided to get back into it with the goal of making Eagle. In hind sight, the Troop I joined was terrible, and did little to help new Scouts to advance. I remember going to the meetings and thinking 'why the hell aren't we doing anything? All we have been doing is play basketball in the church gym...'.

And then once I realized that Star and Life ranks have minimum time requirements, I figured out that I would not be able to Eagle before my 18th birthday. So my little angsty teenage self just said 'gently caress it' and I quit. It is one of my biggest regrets: not staying in the program even without the chance of Eagle, and also taking so much time off before that. I wish I could tell my 12 year old self 'make your parents realize how much you liked going to Scouts and insist you keep doing it!'.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

And for the record I hate selling Popcorn as a fundraiser. That poo poo is over priced and honestly isn't even that good tasting.

I look forward to talking Scout stuff with you goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

Judgy Fucker posted:

Our cubmaster and committee chair are moving on to the local troop since their cub is now a Scout. The incoming cubmaster just asked me to be their assistant cubmaster, and I felt obliged to accept. Being a den leader was already more than I had anticipated, but I also know Scouting at the pack level is a fully volunteer thing, and it doesn't work unless folks step up. Just hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew!

I did go to a University of Scouting event a couple weeks ago, and that helped reinvigorate my excitement for leadership. Doing Wood badge in April, hopefully that'll keep the fire lit.

Way to step up! I did Wood Badge last April, and I am getting beaded this Friday. It definitely helped me get the fire burning for leadership again after a few years of being Cubmaster. I highly recommend Wood Badge. It was a great experience. If you have any questions about it, let me know. Also, Asst Cubmasters are just that, assistance. If the Cubmaster can't make an event, you are the one to welcome people to meetings, etc. If you already regularly attend committee meetings and help with things outside of your Den, then it should be nothing new. Plus ya know...new patch for your uniform.

My boy is a 5th grader who will move to a Troop next. Our Pack committee right now is amazing, and we not-so-secretly plan to take over a local Troop to keep all of us adult (now friends) together. We work really well together and do not wat to lose that synergy. The Troop adult leadership has been at it for a long time, and they are wanting to move on to just being Merit Badge counselors. I will probably take over as Scoutmaster at some point.

For now I will probably stay Cubmaster for a while for my pack, even though my boy won't be in it. I don't mind leading Pack meetings or being the one getting hit in the face with pies by the top selling popcorn Scouts. My boy will probably become a Den Chief to help a Den, so we can still do the Pack thing together.

shootforit fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 21, 2024

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

Judgy Fucker posted:

Just completed my second weekend of Wood Badge, drat what an experience. Have definitely made some new friends, really pumped for my tickets, and am excited for the new Cub Scouting program being released in June.

I must recommend Wood Badge to any American Scouts BSA leaders reading this. It was transformative enough it has me contemplating singing lessons.

'Back to Gilwell happy land!'

Congrats on the first half of Wood Badge. What are your ticket items?

Mine were:
-run Pinewood Derby for a Pack that does not have a track (ended up running five total this year)
-solicit donations of uniform items for a uniform closet. Scouts can borrow pieces as a financial aid.
-I took on role of Advancement Chair for my Pack (in addition to Cubmaster and Den Leader).
-rebuilt an old chuck box for our Pack to take camping
-recruited two new Den leaders and two new committee members

I had my Beading ceremony in February as planned, and man, the beige neckerchief, leather woggle, wooden beads, and the actual wooden name badge sure do look sharp on my uniform!