Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

I was in cub scouts and boy scouts as a kid, though dropped off before I got my eagle (cause, you know, cars and girls and stuff). My son, who just finished fourth grade, has been in cub scouts since Kindergarten because he was interested in it (we didn't really push him toward it), and just finished Webelos (Arrow of Light next year). I've been his den leader since Kindergarten/Lions. I did this originally reluctantly - but no one else was willing to do it so I did it. Which also means by default I was his den leader for his remaining time in cub scouts (one year left on my sentence!). It's actually not been that bad, though I had to lie on my forms about having a belief in god and felt weird about that. His Pack is associated with our local public school, which is very diverse from a religious background, so the pack as a whole is very hands off on the religion stuff - basically saying to parents they can do them at home if they like and not holding up advancement over it.

OP - I just did BALOO a couple weekends ago. Don't be like me and forget to bring a pad to go under your sleeping bag, was kicking myself (all night) over that one.

My daughter who is three years younger than my son also joined cub scouts (and girl scouts), and having seen both, at least where we are it seems like cub scouts just does more - especially outdoor stuff.

For you new parents to scouting out there - get yourself a dremel, it's the cheat code to pinewood derby cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

Achmed Jones posted:

yeah that sounds right for tigers. apparently they have lions too now for kindergartners. idk if that existed when we were kids. i know i started as a tiger at least. it's all changed a lot now, but mostly for the better i think.

Lions are pretty new. My son was I think a lion the first year it was available like 4-5 years ago.