Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I was in the Girl Guides of Canada from Sparks through to Rangers (so like 5 to 18) and was a Guider for about a year! Girl Guides is the original British name of the female branch of the Scouting movement which I think some Americans might not realize? The World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts brings all the different nations together.

I have a lot of love in my heart for the Guides especially the older-age branches, since I learned a lot of life skills there that both school and my parents failed me on. I basically learned to cook for myself at guide camp on a Coleman stove.

I'd really like to get back to being a Guider but my job is pretty taxing. I'm hoping I'll have more emotional bandwidth once I've moved in with my partner because Guiding is such emotionally rewarding work

It is also so in line with my values to teach young girls with over protective parents to start fires

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Judgy Fucker posted:

I was involved in Cub Scouts from Tigers (1st grade) all the way through to Webelos, then crossed over to the Boy Scouts (now Scouts BSA) where I was active all the way up to earning my Eagle rank.

So how does this work? In Scouts Canada, Cubs is the 8-10 age bracket, after Beavers but before Scouts. Is Cubs an entirely different organization from Boy Scouts in the states?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Judgy Fucker posted:

In the U.S., cub scouts is ages 5-10/11; it's really based on school grade-levels, so kindergarten-5th grade. Cub scouts is run by Scouts BSA, so it's not a totally different organization, just a different albeit related program to (older youth) Scouting. There's also Venturing, which is for 14-year-olds to 21 (I think?)-year-olds, which focuses more on high adventure stuff that traditional Scouting involves. Like cub scouts it's run by Scouts BSA, but is a separate program.

Cub scouting is deliberately designed to help shepherd youth into Scouting; there's even a "den chief" position where an older scout comes and helps out with a cub scout den, so the cubs get to see a big kid do big kid Scouting stuff.

Interesting! In the Guides there's age brackets (Sparks, Embers*, Guides, Pathfinders, Rangers**) with a similar progression in program focus, but it is all the same organization and depending on geography there might be a lot of interaction and overlap between the brackets. There's always badges for leading activities for a younger unit, eg a lot of Guide badges require teaching Sparks or Embers new skills, and often Pathfinders and Rangers are mixed into one unit just because there's so few of them. Progression is based solely on age, but you don't get a badge proving you completed the precious age bracket and you get a different progression ceremony if you don't finish the program of your age bracket. Basically you're considered as starting over lol

* this was very recently changed from Brownies bc it turned out Black girls did not want to be called that!
** technically there are brackets called Link and Trefoil Guild after this but those are the adult units and the more common thing is to leave or shift to being a Guider

Also I want to recommend How The Girl Guides Won the War about international Girl Guide and Girl Scout involvement in The Second World War. Not only were girls on the home front raising funds and raising gardens to supplement rationing, but guides were also dispatched to feed people in bombed out cities by building camp stoves out of salvaged bricks, run intel and do first aid on front lines, and landed planes after getting their semaphore badges

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Judgy Fucker posted:

In Scouting (grades 6-12), you absolutely have to earn your ranks. Rank isn't based on age at all, only requirements that have to be met. Didn't meet the requirements? No ranking up for you!

That's brutal but also I'm kind of jealous bc I was always very program oriented lol. So at 9th grade you choose to keep leveling up in Scouts or start over in Venturing? Can you do both?

Scouts Canada has been coed for as long as I can remember and there was one girl in my Rangers unit who was also very high ranked in Scouts and she was the busiest person I've ever met lol

It used to be that after Pathfinders there were three different groups you could chose from and collectively they were known as the Senior Branches. Rangers was one of them but iirc it was the most popular and since most Sr Branches girls were all meeting together to meet membership numbers anyway it was simplified. But then they added back a parallel program to Rangers called Trex which was for girls who only wanted to do extreme outdoors stuff. You could do both Rangers and Trex but idk anyone who did. Idk if Trex is still around lol

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

GGC owned it's own campgrounds and they had long histories with bits of camp infrastructure decorated by the girls who built and donated them decades ago. A few years ago GGC could no longer afford to keep my childhood guide camp and had to sell it and ngl I cried a bit when I read the news

Because it was only Girl Guides at the site you'd often just wander around and introduce yourself and your unit to all the other units camping there and I remember one time a younger unit invited us to campfire that night and they had some song about witches being burned at the stake and how maybe one of them was your great grandmother and all of us older girls were like '😰 the hell is going on' the whole time

titties posted:

Many years back, my daughter was the first girl in the metro area we lived in to be born on the anniversary of the founding of the Girl Scouts.

The day after she was born, about 15 Girl Scout and Brownie troops from the around the area came to the hospital and each brought her gifts.

We didn't have to buy diapers for at least a year. It was tremendous surprise and a really kind gesture from the GSA.

E: i don't think it was a particularly significant anniversary, they might have done it every year but i don't remember.

This rules

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 10, 2023

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

PYF campfire song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi6i-WCm9wU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Epitope posted:

We pulled up broad side to another boat and pelted them with hohos.

lmao

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I guess it makes sense, scouting is Very British

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Boooooo

It's fall cookie season in Canada! Girl Guides have two cookie selling seasons, they sell chocolate and vanilla sandwich cookies in the spring and chocolate mint cookies (like thicker thin mints - thick mints?) in the fall. Which means we'd always get people angry and confused and we weren't selling the variety they wanted lol.

Anyway the fall mints are my favourite so I need to pick up a bunch of boxes

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Knocking on doors was the best part of cookie selling you got to meet so many dogs that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

TIL about Jamboree on the Internet , what a powerfully nineties idea but also I love it