Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Boy Scouts Australia mid 80's to early 90's

Being dropped off on some camp ground with 15 other kids, just fend for yourself for a week.

We would set everything up with everyone else, tents, camp kitchen, etc...then our group would just leave, walk a km or so out, and make our own huts and camp there for the week. We would raid the main camp for food at night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Judgy Fucker posted:

This sounds fun as gently caress, though I have this image of the Australian wilderness being filled to the brim with bugs and other wildlife that will kill you cold by simply looking at you. Being an outdoorsy program I'm sure you got at least some kind of education on the fauna? Any other details to share about Australian Scouting 30-40 years ago?

Theres badges for that, and you get them before you can go camping.

I remember vividly running into the thick scrub and just dropping to the floor to hide (a spotlight game or something), then looking up and the bush is just webs in the moonlight with a spider in the middle of every one.

Also occasionally finding scorpions in the tents.

Also ticks.

You're not coming across much other wildlife, you're a pack of screaming children.

Aus Scouts at that time was just casual camping and learning basic skills. You attended the group once a fortnight, and every month or so went on a camp, either local camp grounds or a full on trip somewhere, we did some gorges in Kalbarri one year. I must state at that time, something like a really great remote camp site was still just a short drive out of town.

But it was just run by whatever local dad or guy was a scout as a kid and never left and has all the badges. The scout leader lived just down the road, the second in charge is in final year highschool just down the road. I think they were called Venturers or Rangers? (Not a John Wayne Gacy bio).

I remember ripping around in sand dunes on the roof of a 4WD, and flying out the back of a ute doing donuts in the bush on red stone gravel.

Doing the ANZAC Day poo poo at like 4AM.

Oh, blast from the past, we delivered the phone books, probably one of the dads jobs, but it was a Bob a job good deed or whatever it was called. A car towed an open top trailer full of books and we just jumped on and off grabbing books and running them to the houses as it cruised at 3kmph around the neighborhood

It was important we got our badges, I shouldn't make it all seem like a riot, and they cared, as parents, as older kids we looked up to, and as scout leaders.

But holy poo poo, those weekends we got to go Lord of the Flies, eternal memories.

The book says First Lone Scouts, but it was given to me by an older scout, we were the 1st Spitfires (the caterpillar, not the plane) . Badge colour Red/Black.

Wee fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 9, 2023

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

looks like WW1 artifacts