Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
I'm going to Scout camp with my son's troop next week.
I've been a cubmaster, but took a few years off of leadership when my son moved up. The current scoutmaster says he'd like me to take over as scoutmaster next year. I expect he'll spend the next week trying to convince me.

Give me your reasons for/against being a scoutmaster. How does it compare to being a cubmaster?

I'm a former Star scout in this council, 35 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001

~Coxy posted:

(also, one of the songs was a hymn that simply replaced "jesus" with "scouting", which surprised my wife and I and is probably technically verboten)
Wait til you hear "scout vespers". Quite the mix of scouting and religion.

Sad thing is, is I really like the song, but it's not really 'non-denominational'.

Also, selling popcorn sucks, we finally ditched it a few years ago. Pick something else to do that's way less headache. We sell mistletoe (hand harvested & bagged by us). Some units work at events like races, crab feeds, etc.

Jorath fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 6, 2023

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
I just donate cash. $20 donation goes %100 to the unit. Buying a bag just gives a small amount, like %18.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
Each unit runs very differently depending on the charter org and leadership.

I just took over as scoutmaster for a church - chartered org and have to square my non-religious beliefs with the fact that the church does a lot for the unit. To achieve eagle, Scouts need to believe in God, or at least tell that to their Eagle board. How much God is mentioned before that is up to the unit, but there are numerous requirements that require going to a faith or spiritual based meeting and discussing it.