Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I'm an eagle scout and also have the arrow of light from cub scouts. I was deep in scouting the entire time I was eligible to be in as a youth, and still maintain a connection to it now as an adult.

I love Philmont. I love Philmont. I went on two 12-day treks as a youth, then worked there for 5 summer seasons in (and after) college. I continue to return to volunteer and stuff.

I'm a lifetime member of Philmont Staff Association - essentially an alumni association exactly like universities have, but for Philmont staff.

I've been on three PSA treks - there's special treks just for PSA members!

Literally tomorrow I head to New Mexico where I'll attend the PSA's annual reunion. And after that I am staying at the ranch to volunteer for just part of the summer.

I am so excited. I'm bringing my fiddle and my banjo and a good attitude.

The wind in whispering pines calls me. I'm goin' home.

Anyway, AMA about being a Philmont staff member (the best job I've ever had) or just going to Philmont in general. I'll answer if I have internet access!

Oh, and if you're interested there's a Philmont podcast. I've been interviewed for it, which was fun: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/silver-on-the-sage/id1550520200

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

OkieJokie posted:

We just got back from a trip to Philmont (my second time to be an adult advisor.) Philmont is an experience I wish everyone could have during their life. The music, scenery and culture is just amazing.

Tell me about the music you enjoyed. Any specific camps have a particularly good show in your opinion? Any standout songs, stories, jokes, or performances?

I spent 3 of my 5 summers working at Philmont in music camps. I loved playing a nightly show for campers and to this day the music program is one of my very favorite things the ranch does.

I would love to hear about your experience with the music program as a participant.