Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OkieJokie
Dec 3, 2005
Thrashin' U.S.A.
Good for you and I am glad you stepped up.

I have been a Scoutmaster for close to 8 years now. Before that I helped "save" a cub scout pack from folding.
Both my daughter and son are heavily involved in scouting. The troop I help with is fairly diverse and really nerdy. When COVID hit I asked the youth to step up and find a way for us to all stay connected. They started a Discord channel that is heavily monitored by the Webmaster (youth position for the troop) and has special rules for youth and adults (adults can't post on but a few channels, but can observe for bullying and safe scouting purposes). The discord channel is a hit and big part of how the troop communicates.

As a youth I was involved from later cub scout days, earned my Webelos Award (arrow of light) and made my way up to doing everything but doing my final Eagle Board (never got phone calls back) of review because my troop folded and I was too stupid to go join the other troop to try it again.

We just got back from a trip to Philmont (my second time to be an adult advisor.) Philmont is an experience I wish everyone could have during their life. The music, scenery and culture is just amazing.

Scouting is what you make of it. It has gotten pricey and more expensive to register with Council, but with litigations and insurance going through the roof it only makes since. I hope they can figure out a way to get the price down or have easier fundraisers.

BTW there is rumor of a 20-30 year old program in the works and being piloted that is supposed to attract that age demographic and help them get involved.

IN Oklahoma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OkieJokie
Dec 3, 2005
Thrashin' U.S.A.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Tell me about the music you enjoyed. Any specific camps have a particularly good show in your opinion? Any standout songs, stories, jokes, or performances?

I spent 3 of my 5 summers working at Philmont in music camps. I loved playing a nightly show for campers and to this day the music program is one of my very favorite things the ranch does.

I would love to hear about your experience with the music program as a participant.

I have been a couple times. The music at basecamp at a well run opening and closing ceremony can be a delight. Unfortunately this year it was a less than stellar. I chock that up to being an early crew, but Philmont Staff could be changing up what they do.

A couple years ago I was at Beaubien and the performance there was amazing. And of course the after program concert was fantastic too.
This year the performance at Metcalf was the best, with Ponil in close second. Ponil said they were missing staff members because they were either too sick or some were just tired, but it was still decent. Metcalf was fantastic as the staff there were fantastic musicians and the music was something that both my son and I had to find on AppleMusic just to hear some of the original songs. One of the songs made my son tear up as it was so sad. He was ready to stay and staff that camp.

Jumping on YouTube and listening to all the various recordings the staff have made is amazing. Listening to a few of the Philmont staff albums has been rewarding as well.