Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Epi Lepi posted:

Endgame Spoilers: It helps that it's a two pronged spoiler, I saw the Bode betrayal right before it happened but did not see him being Force Sensitive coming.

I had it the other way around because some random loving YouTube thumbnail that popped up showed him with a lightsaber or otherwise gave away him being a Jedi, so I knew that was coming, and maybe that was why everything he did on Jedha and after surprised me. I think I was maybe more expecting him to just be a Jedi companion rather than “oh poo poo, he’s the antagonist now”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Epi Lepi posted:

Endgame Spoilers: It helps that it's a two pronged spoiler, I saw the Bode betrayal right before it happened but did not see him being Force Sensitive coming.

It's a nice counterpoint to Darth Vader and the imagery of Cere pulling down the archive on him in a futile attempt to slow him down. How and why do the Jedi fall? Yeah, the Empire hunts some of them down. But sometimes they just got so desperate they threw away their own (fatally flawed) teachings and just beat each other to death.

RFC
Nov 3, 2002
Finished this game yesterday, so fun. Going to do the rumors and probably call it quits after that, don't really care for collecting poo poo

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

i found the collecting of items pretty fun. there were alot of neat little areas i didnt notice which were fun to discover.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
And it also gives you another reason to roam around and mess up some enemies with the fairly satisfying combat in the game.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah one thing I'll give this game is that the collectables are mostly at least hidden behind some kind of puzzle or combat encounter, even if it's just trying to figure out how to get to a particular ledge in the over world map. It's better than the straight Ubisoft style stuff where you're literally.jisy navigating to a point on the map and picking a thing up.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The item finding in this game is ehhh ok I guess. A lot of what you get is currencies for shop items which are themselves mostly fairly trivial. Certainly an improvement on the first game where the only thing in the universe depressed Cal would pick up was a new color theme for his poncho.

However the seed collection can absolutely gently caress off, I have no idea who it’s for but I hope they’re happy in life

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Seeds pods feel like there was unfinished extra stuff there.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Really cool how you meet Dagan in this game. Cooler than Taron and 2nd Sister so far. Really gives the evil bastard vibe.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ulio posted:

Really cool how you meet Dagan in this game. Cooler than Taron and 2nd Sister so far. Really gives the evil bastard vibe.

Ooh absolutely, I loved how he was introduced.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The game really wants you to appreciate his v line

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
endgame spoilers: i feel like bode's betrayal would have worked better if he had more of a presence previously? he didn't really do much throughout most of the game, he's only a companion for some pretty brief sequences and is fairly useless during those times and doesn't really do much in the plot before his betrayal

lmao at the 'embrace the darkness' prompt in the final boss fight

it was definitely better that the balance of collectibles shifted away from being so dominated by cosmetics, but it was ridiculous just how much they increased the density of collectibles in general to i guess compensate (negatively) for that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

lih posted:

endgame spoilers: lmao at the 'embrace the darkness' prompt in the final boss fight

If you didn't know, there's a tiny choice there. If you don't embrace the darkness he kills you, but when you respawn the embrace the darkness isn't forced and times out.

Personally I reckon the first time it happens at Nova Garon, instead of press to embrace cal's darkness, they should've had three prompts in quick succession, each of which speeds you up a little more: something like 'channel cal's anger', 'use cal's hate', 'embrace the dark side'. It's star wars, after all.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 4, 2024

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
WHAT?!?

I died the first time and then just did it the second

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I have to imagine it’s more a “this dummy hesitated too long or doesn’t understand prompts and we want them to finish the game” rather than any sort of dark side point +1 avoidance

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I was railroaded by the DM!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dogen posted:

I have to imagine it’s more a “this dummy hesitated too long or doesn’t understand prompts and we want them to finish the game” rather than any sort of dark side point +1 avoidance

Maybe you're right. The game does strongly tend to avoid giving the character choices: we're playing out Cal's story, not making it.

On another note, one thing the game really needed to do but didn't is just tell me what the gently caress the koboh abyss is in, like, a physical way. Just the basics that the characters can infer from looking at it and their understanding of how things work in this universe. You don't have to explain everything about it and can leave some things a mystery but I spent the entire game confused by what I was seeing in a very distracting way. You can kinda infer by things towards the end, but still. At least throw me some kind of illustrative but vague metaphor.

(If it was Trek I would've just been 'oh yeah standard issue spatial anomaly', but Wars doesn't tend to have that kind of thing so much? So for a while I was like 'is the perspective just bad and it's actually big enough to fit a star system inside?' but no some kind of spatial sinkhole I guess.)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 4, 2024

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I never quite felt like the backstory in this game came together emotionally. All the plot elements are there and I like the Koboh matter as a concept, it’s very evocative of catastrophe. But what is the point of it? In the end it’s just a mechanical element. It’s an obstacle to overcome, both for the player and the characters who seem to have little concern about it.

I think that all the High Republic stuff ends up being too immaterial to the main characters. Dagan is a raging rear end in a top hat with few redeeming qualities, Cal never gets a chance to make a connection with him and nothing you ever see explains why exactly he cared so much about Tanalor. Santari seems civil, but she’s neither very likable nor alive. Zee, who kicks off the whole plot and is the only direct connection Cal has to these events, ends up being kind of a non-entity/comic relief. You don’t even really get the catharsis of having made it to Tanalor because there’s nothing to do there, it’s just a nice looking hallway to the boss.

Maybe it’s all sequel bait idk.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
i think the plot just suffers from not very much happening until the end of the game. most of the plot is just padding - finding the compasses, rescuing allies in trouble with the empire or the raiders do nothing to push anything forward at all.

MikeJF posted:

If you didn't know, there's a tiny choice there. If you don't embrace the darkness he kills you, but when you respawn the embrace the darkness isn't forced and times out.

Personally I reckon the first time it happens at Nova Garon, instead of press to embrace cal's darkness, they should've had three prompts in quick succession, each of which speeds you up a little more: something like 'channel cal's anger', 'use cal's hate', 'embrace the dark side'. It's star wars, after all.

yeah i found out he kills you but the second time i skipped the cutscene which skipped right past the prompt so i wasn't sure what was up with that

lih fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 5, 2024

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, to be honest a lot of it felt a bit like 'lucasfilm decided the High Republic is the next big push back when we started development'

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Dagan Gera is also way too baby-faced. Maybe it's what they were going for? But he just felt so petulant, rather than a threat.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Cal was so excited to find another Jedi, it would have been great if they had Dagan accompany you for a little while before the heel turn. That would be a perfect way to do some character building and build tension, having Dagan become increasingly deranged talking to Cal and learning about what's happened since he went into the bacta tank. Cal goes from being excited to increasingly suspicous, Dagan gets more brutal in combat as time goes on, etc. Would have been cool!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I liked Dagan being a lol baby boy. I think his immediately outing himself as a bad guy works well with the rest of the story too.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Jedi Survivor won Best Video Game Score at the Grammys. A deserved win, imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGvMnlNZrZ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey19F7eLmPU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cross-Section posted:

Jedi Survivor won Best Video Game Score at the Grammys. A deserved win, imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGvMnlNZrZ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey19F7eLmPU

Not in a year where Hi-Fi Rush, Final Fantasy 16, Octopath Traveller 2, Pizza Tower... honestly there's like three dozen games that have better soundtracks than Survivor, not that Survivor was bad.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

skasion posted:

Dagan is a raging rear end in a top hat with few redeeming qualities, Cal never gets a chance to make a connection with him and nothing you ever see explains why exactly he cared so much about Tanalor.

Dagan wants Tanalor for the same reasons everyone else does. It's a safe haven away from the prying eyes and crushing reach of The Empire. Cal wants it to be a new safe place for jedi to live in peace. Bode wants it to be a safe space for him and his daughter alone. Dagan wants it for the same reason as Cal, but also to build up an army to oppose the Empire.

quote:

Maybe it’s all sequel bait idk.

Can't argue with that. If and when we get a sequel to finish out this story, I imagine Tanalor will be referenced heavily if not the main base of operations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

More his obsession back before being tank'd isn't really well justified.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

Dagan wants Tanalor for the same reasons everyone else does. It's a safe haven away from the prying eyes and crushing reach of The Empire. Cal wants it to be a new safe place for jedi to live in peace. Bode wants it to be a safe space for him and his daughter alone. Dagan wants it for the same reason as Cal, but also to build up an army to oppose the Empire.

Can't argue with that. If and when we get a sequel to finish out this story, I imagine Tanalor will be referenced heavily if not the main base of operations.

I get why he’s trying to go back there now. But 200 years before the empire existed, Dagan already wanted Tanalor enough that he completely broke with the Jedi Order and went on a killing spree when they told him, extremely reasonably, that he couldn’t build a temple there in the middle of a war with an enemy that knew the exact location of his chosen spot. The game spends quite a lot of time dwelling on his resentment against the Jedi and Santari for what he considers to be taking it away from him, but never makes it make sense. Why did he feel this connection to Tanalor that nobody else did? Is it just because he found the place? Ok, sure, but to completely burn down your own life and kill your own people about it? Especially because his whole articulated reason for ever wanting the place was to set up a Jedi academy there, what could possibly make it worth while to kill Jedi and abandon the order to accomplish that?

It feels like the kind of setup that old EU stories would have resolved with “it was all the fault of an ancient darksider ghost that possessed him”. and I respect that they didn’t do that fwiw, but they end up just not really explaining his heel turn at all.

And yeah I do hope Tanalor is the starting world or at least an option in Jedi 3. Looks great.

skasion fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 5, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

skasion posted:

I get why he’s trying to go back there now. But 200 years before the empire existed, Dagan already wanted Tanalor enough that he completely broke with the Jedi Order and went on a killing spree when they told him, extremely reasonably, that he couldn’t build a temple there in the middle of a war with an enemy that knew the exact location of his chosen spot. The game spends quite a lot of time dwelling on his resentment against the Jedi and Santari for what he considers to be taking it away from him, but never makes it make sense. Why did he feel this connection to Tanalor that nobody else did? Is it just because he found the place? Ok, sure, but to completely burn down your own life and kill your own people about it? Especially because his whole articulated reason for ever wanting the place was to set up a Jedi academy there, what could possibly make it worth while to kill Jedi and abandon the order to accomplish that?

It feels like the kind of setup that old EU stories would have resolved with “it was all the fault of an ancient darksider ghost that possessed him”. and I respect that they didn’t do that fwiw, but they end up just not really explaining his heel turn at all.

The enemy knew Tanalor existed but couldn't get to it. He was absolutely 100% convinced it would be the best and safest place and got shot down moments before everything started going to poo poo, then he got slapped in a pod and woke up to discover his worst fears had come true and had what we call a tiny freakout.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I think he felt it was his home and got really really deep into sunk cost after seeing a bunch of his comrades die defending it

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also 200 years feels way too short for the degree of stylistic difference and the slow rate things evolve in Star Wars.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Also 200 years feels way too short for the degree of stylistic difference and the slow rate things evolve in Star Wars.

Yeah, I had this complaint too. I just have trouble with the whole "Ancient forgotten relics of a bygone age" within a time frame Chewbacca could have been alive for.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The enemy knew Tanalor existed but couldn't get to it. He was absolutely 100% convinced it would be the best and safest place and got shot down moments before everything started going to poo poo, then he got slapped in a pod and woke up to discover his worst fears had come true and had what we call a tiny freakout.

The enemy sure look like they got to it. We see them showing up there in Cal’s vision of Dagan’s memory, right before Dagan realizes he’s there.

https://youtu.be/Y1LATTSiQew?si=vcCCJ6ljwYzI5Vgn

Circa 2:30

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Even for the Jedi they did a particularly lovely job of monitoring the training and emotional state of that guy.

At least with Anakin they were distracted.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

skasion posted:

The enemy sure look like they got to it. We see them showing up there in Cal’s vision of Dagan’s memory, right before Dagan realizes he’s there.

https://youtu.be/Y1LATTSiQew?si=vcCCJ6ljwYzI5Vgn

Circa 2:30

Those were two different scenes, weren't they? One on the planet and then another when they went back to talk to the Jedi Council?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

ImpAtom posted:

Those were two different scenes, weren't they? One on the planet and then another when they went back to talk to the Jedi Council?

That's the way I read it, but it was cut in such a way that it almost looks like "WOW! Look at this amazing planet, tucked away and hidden. Let's go tell the council and petition to put our HQ here." And then they seem to be standing outside the building on Tanalor and it's "Bad news. They said no :("

Scene 1 takes place in a rocky, cave like area (on Tanalor) and scene 2 takes place in a rocky, cave like area at night. It's not immediately clear that they are two separate locations.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

ImpAtom posted:

It was on Tanalorr.

I happened to watch this yesterday which gives some context: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVZ6yBRu8CY

But I also don't think the context is that needed because it really, really doesn't matter why poo poo got hosed 200+ years ago, it just matters that it did.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

A HQ. This is something that a few High Republic writers seem to get - the Jedi Order back then is galaxy spanning and they're out in the galaxy with the people and there's lots of them.

Contrast with the prequel era Jedi who have basically withdrawn to Coruscant.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Star Wars game related; what's the best way to play KotOR 1 & 2 nowadays? I know both are available on the switch now, is that the best or is steam with mods the way to go? Last time I looked into the cut content mod for 2 it kind of looked like a hassle, is that the case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I just finished Suvivor last night! Overall I really liked it, a huge improvement over the first one.

Spoiler chat

I knew from about the second time Bode showed up that he was either gonna betray Cal or die, so that was kinda lame, but the whole he's a Jedi too thing totally surprised me and was a really cool moment, so I'm glad they had another twist on top of things to make it interesting.

I played it on PS5 since the PC port appears to still be broken, and was relatively trouble free, although I caught the crew T-posing a couple times when traveling around in the ship which was cute. I would have liked to see it with all the ray tracing bells and whistles since it's a good looking game, but alas...

Also it should have let us just switch to whatever lightsaber stance we wanted whenever, cause i just found two I liked and never touched the others after that.