Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Epi Lepi posted:

Star Wars game related; what's the best way to play KotOR 1 & 2 nowadays? I know both are available on the switch now, is that the best or is steam with mods the way to go? Last time I looked into the cut content mod for 2 it kind of looked like a hassle, is that the case?

The switch version has some issues IIRC (edit: Apparently patched last june). Plus I'm pretty sure it's not really updated graphically or restored or anything. Steam you could mod it and get some HD textures and fan patches to restore the missing data, and it's probably cheaper on steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Baron posted:

I just finished Suvivor last night! Overall I really liked it, a huge improvement over the first one.

Spoiler chat

I knew from about the second time Bode showed up that he was either gonna betray Cal or die, so that was kinda lame, but the whole he's a Jedi too thing totally surprised me and was a really cool moment, so I'm glad they had another twist on top of things to make it interesting.

I played it on PS5 since the PC port appears to still be broken, and was relatively trouble free, although I caught the crew T-posing a couple times when traveling around in the ship which was cute. I would have liked to see it with all the ray tracing bells and whistles since it's a good looking game, but alas...

Also it should have let us just switch to whatever lightsaber stance we wanted whenever, cause i just found two I liked and never touched the others after that.

PC version has a very good mod that lets you switch from any stance to any other stance on the fly whenever you want with no limitations. Although even with it I almost never use single blade.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I found single saber to be my preferred stance for lightsaber duels. By the end I was just running single saber and saber/pistol styles

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I did try to use the pistol for a while. I thought the idea was neat, but I ended up doing dual-blade and double bladed because the block cancel for dual blades ruled and it was nice to run double bladed for all the scrub enemies. Once I landed on this combo, I respected everything and never looked back. Of course there would be a sweet mod though that just let you do everything...

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

CzarChasm posted:

The switch version has some issues IIRC (edit: Apparently patched last june). Plus I'm pretty sure it's not really updated graphically or restored or anything. Steam you could mod it and get some HD textures and fan patches to restore the missing data, and it's probably cheaper on steam.

I guess I decided to look at the right time cause both KOTORs are on sale right now for $3.49 each on Steam so it was a no brainer to grab them.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Tarezax posted:

I found single saber to be my preferred stance for lightsaber duels. By the end I was just running single saber and saber/pistol styles

i don't think i switched back to single saber even once after i got blaster, and once i got crossguard it was pretty much over for every other style lol

i just realized blaster / crossguard is basically the closest you can get to playing as john bloodborne from the game bloodborne

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I tended to keep Double Blade around just so I could lazily and quickly mow through big mobs of stuff en masse, and then liked to have Crossguard for the heavier stuff.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Cross guard and double bladed is good, one fast, one slow, one duel, one crowd, and both good against ranged.

Double bladed isn’r bad in a duel either.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I would not complain if the entirety of the next game basically takes place on Tanalor and we find out the real reason Daygan wanted it, like it has some literal fountain of the Force that makes you live forever or some poo poo.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If there is a 3rd game then I am very interested in seeing where they could take it, while still sticking to the pretty strict lore. Not that LucasFilms isnt still just making things up on the go. The current lore established that plenty of Jedi survived the purge after all, and even avoided being hunted down by Darth Vader. So I wonder if Cal will survive all of this.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They do need to make up an excuse for each one as to what was keeping them busy during the original trilogy though.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

I said come in! posted:

If there is a 3rd game then I am very interested in seeing where they could take it, while still sticking to the pretty strict lore. Not that LucasFilms isnt still just making things up on the go. The current lore established that plenty of Jedi survived the purge after all, and even avoided being hunted down by Darth Vader. So I wonder if Cal will survive all of this.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that Cal and Co sat out the end of the war on Tanalor and the third game actually resolved with them having trained up the girl for years in secret, head back out to the galaxy only to find... oh wait, the Empire already fell.

Filoni apparently approves and has a hand in the plots for all SW media now, so who knows maybe it'll somehow tie in to Ahsoka or Thrawn.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I honestly wouldn't mind Maul and Crimson Dawn making an appearance as the obligatory Bounty Hunter/criminal faction, which opens the door for Qi'ra, Han Solo, and Lando too

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

On one level I was expecting the trilogy to end with Cal's death, but I'm thinking that maybe that's unlikely now we're seeing more and more Star Wars live-action media that Cal could transition into given his face is a well-skilled appropriate actor.

Cal was about 32 at the the battle of Yavin. His actor's currently 30, so in the middle where media could easily cast him a bit older or younger.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Feb 9, 2024

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Fuzz posted:

Filoni apparently approves and has a hand in the plots for all SW media now, so who knows maybe it'll somehow tie in to Ahsoka or Thrawn.

Please no. He loving sucks and ruins everything he touches.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Jose Oquendo posted:

Please no. He loving sucks and ruins everything he touches.

:wrong:

Rebels and TCW kick rear end

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cal is absolutely not surviving a third game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cal and Turgle live a quiet life together at the end of the 3rd game.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Epi Lepi posted:

Both are middling shows saved by Star Wars fans having no barometer for quality after, like, a dozen horrible movies.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I won't lie, TCW could be the best series ever made but the art style was way way too ugly for me to ever really give it a shot.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

ImpAtom posted:

Cal is absolutely not surviving a third game.

Yeah, Force Ghost Cal by the end of the third game, or nothing

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
gently caress you guys, we're gonna to see Old Man Cal in the sequels era.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Marsupial Ape posted:

gently caress you guys, we're gonna to see Old Man Cal in the sequels era.

That doesn't mean he doesn't die.

Like my honest bet would be "timeskip forward, his adoptive kid is now proper protagonist age, they go on an adventure together and he dies at the end in a heroic fashion."

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

ImpAtom posted:

That doesn't mean he doesn't die.

Like my honest bet would be "timeskip forward, his adoptive kid is now proper protagonist age, they go on an adventure together and he dies at the end in a heroic fashion."

That is acceptable.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<

Epi Lepi posted:

I enjoy these Star Wars games but as soon as the lore stuff about the high republic and inquisitors, my eyes just glaze over and I just enjoy lightsabering people.

Filoni can make good stuff like the mandalorian but if they start bringing in Ahsoka then I’m out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am biased against the Inquisitors because I think the literal helicopter lightsabers are on a level of dumb that I normally associated with the old Star Wars EU's worst moments.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Just need Andor season 2. Was disappointed at how bad Ahsoka ended up being. I have mostly given up on Star Wars as an I.P., Andor, and Star Wars Jedi are the only thing i've really liked in years.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

ImpAtom posted:

I am biased against the Inquisitors because I think the literal helicopter lightsabers are on a level of dumb that I normally associated with the old Star Wars EU's worst moments.

Counter point, the Inquistors' coptersaber is embodies all dumb lightsaber concepts so we don't have to see any others introduced. It's both an homage and a firebreak.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Filoni's been stretched too thin for me to want him anywhere near the next Jedi game. It's a reason why his stuff in the Disney+ era has been inconsistent. The last thing the next Jedi game needs is yet another connection to existing characters. If Filoni's part of it, the connection would likely be tenuous and perfunctory and unsatisfying, like they are in Ahsoka and Obi-Wan and Boba Fett.

Part of what makes the Jedi games interesting to me is the same reason Andor is - the ties to existing characters are brief and powerful. The narrative focuses on new lenses through which to view important events, along with strong character development and understandable motivations. Can Filoni pull that off? Probably. But his recent track record indicates it's unlikely, at least without a long creative break and/or a partner with the judgment and autonomy to tell him when to stuff his superficial fanservice-y inserts.

isk fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 9, 2024

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

LucasFilms was smart to back off on the movies after how bad the Rise of Skywalker was received, but they didn't take that lesson to TV and have been pumping stuff out too quickly.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
There's a whole thread in TVIV for complaining. I'm not saying anybody's opinion is wrong, but I fled that thread because it is nothing but grievance rehashing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<

Marsupial Ape posted:

There's a whole thread in TVIV for complaining. I'm not saying anybody's opinion is wrong, but I fled that thread because it is nothing but grievance rehashing.

I don’t know, these games aren’t bubbles and connect across tons of shows and movies by design. If you don’t want to see people’s opinions on shows, I don’t know what to tell you. Forest Whitaker shows up for a cameo in the last one and this one has a planet from Rogue one on top of a ton of other connections.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Lord Packinham posted:

I enjoy these Star Wars games but as soon as the lore stuff about the high republic and inquisitors, my eyes just glaze over and I just enjoy lightsabering people.

Filoni can make good stuff like the mandalorian but if they start bringing in Ahsoka then I’m out.

Jon Favreau is way more responsible for the Mandalorian than Dave is, for all the good and bad

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Lord Packinham posted:

I don’t know, these games aren’t bubbles and connect across tons of shows and movies by design. If you don’t want to see people’s opinions on shows, I don’t know what to tell you. Forest Whitaker shows up for a cameo in the last one and this one has a planet from Rogue one on top of a ton of other connections.

Nah. You're poorly reframing it. I don't want to see the same tired opinions over and over. It's boring. The complaining is boring. The people who defend the complaining are boring. Again, they are fine opinions, but they are not new ones. If you like boring old opinions and then feel threatened when they are pointed out, I don't know what to tell you. I guess you could derail this video game thread into bitching about Kenobi for two whole pages. But, again, the TVIV thread exists for that.

That's just, like, my opinion.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

ImpAtom posted:

I won't lie, TCW could be the best series ever made but the art style was way way too ugly for me to ever really give it a shot.

i felt this way at first but after the first rough season the animation and art get a little better and the writing gets a lot better so its still worth your time overall imho

i would...not say the same about rebels lol

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Marsupial Ape posted:

Nah. You're poorly reframing it. I don't want to see the same tired opinions over and over. It's boring. The complaining is boring. The people who defend the complaining are boring. Again, they are fine opinions, but they are not new ones. If you like boring old opinions and then feel threatened when they are pointed out, I don't know what to tell you. I guess you could derail this video game thread into bitching about Kenobi for two whole pages. But, again, the TVIV thread exists for that.

That's just, like, my opinion.

counterpoint: so far it's been like a quarter of a page in a relatively subdued thread

one thing I think we can all agree on:

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

isk posted:

counterpoint: so far it's been like a quarter of a page in a relatively subdued thread

one thing I think we can all agree on:

Please, let us all praise Turgle. Praise him!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I can't believe they came up with Turgle. Just talk about a side character that nails it right off the bat. So extremely well done and funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

turgid 4 turgle