Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I still find it hard to fathom how the game ended up as vast and enjoyable as it did. Two thirds of its development were handled during the apocalypse and even though it's had its fair share of issues, I consider it a modern classic.

I mean fair share of issues is an understatement, it was technologically a disastrous launch. It's still extremely broken on PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

MikeJF posted:

I mean fair share of issues is an understatement, it was technologically a disastrous launch. It's still extremely broken on PC.

whatever patches they've pushed through on PS5 have done the trick, I haven't had any real issues at all

question: after some trial and error I've seen the merits of every lightsaber style...except single blade. is there any reason to go back to it? every other style does something better (range, defense, speed, power). am I missing something or is it just kind of redundant after getting the gun?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I still find it hard to fathom how the game ended up as vast and enjoyable as it did. Two thirds of its development were handled during the apocalypse and even though it's had its fair share of issues, I consider it a modern classic.

Exactly, other than performance issues that have mostly been corrected on console, the game is incredible in every other regard.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Wolfsheim posted:

whatever patches they've pushed through on PS5 have done the trick, I haven't had any real issues at all

question: after some trial and error I've seen the merits of every lightsaber style...except single blade. is there any reason to go back to it? every other style does something better (range, defense, speed, power). am I missing something or is it just kind of redundant after getting the gun?

I'm somewhat jealous of the PS5 crowd. Regardless of settings, my 3080 can't even maintain 50FPS at 1440p. Even enabling DLSS and setting it to Performance doesn't really do anything.

As for Single Blade, it's main benefit is just being the all arounder and having a good aerial moveset

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You got other problems. Now I'm slightly ahead of you on a 3080ti but the game ran fine for me maxed at that res. Occasional issues but nothing unplayable.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

WattsvilleBlues posted:

:same:

IMO tech issues + recency bias led to its general shutout in last year's awards. I really like Survivor. I think the VOs did a hell of a job. Between RDR2, Horizon: FW, and now Survivor, Noshir Dalal has become one of my favorites. Always delivers no matter the scope of the role. Not unlike Jon Bernthal, really

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Jon Berthal should be allowed to Jon Berthal his way through a Star War.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/jedi/jedi-survivor/patch-notes

New patch with some new accessibility features and stuff.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Almost curious to see if there was actually any performance fixes but probably not curious enough to actually launch the game

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Ooh nice! this is a bit unexpected because Respawn said before that they would be doing no more updates.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

codo27 posted:

You got other problems. Now I'm slightly ahead of you on a 3080ti but the game ran fine for me maxed at that res. Occasional issues but nothing unplayable.

It's either my 9700k no longer cutting it or it's one of those games that doesn't like my 3080 being undervolted.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
there's nothing major in the way of performance changes in the latest patch - there might be some minor tweaks as they do claim performance improvements but nothing enough for me to notice

it is at least in a state these days where the performance isn't any sort of dealbreaker, the problems i've had are just graphical bugs and occasional mild stuttering which hasn't really interfered with gameplay at all, even though there's still a lot of room for improvement. this seems to be a meaningful improvement over the state it launched in but i figure it's still probably way rougher if you're below the recommended specs or wanting to play it on higher settings, i have a 3060 ti/5600 and can get generally around 70-90 fps on medium settings with dlss at 1440p.

jisforjosh posted:

It's either my 9700k no longer cutting it or it's one of those games that doesn't like my 3080 being undervolted.

it's your 9700k, the game is extremely cpu-bottlenecked

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I got a big performance uplift in this game by going from an Intel 9900k to an AMD 7800X3D with the same GPU.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Fuzz posted:

Wow, I'm actually really intrigued/excited by the accessibility features. I wanna see how they've implemented the audio ping.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Kesper North posted:

Wow, I'm actually really intrigued/excited by the accessibility features. I wanna see how they've implemented the audio ping.

If it ain't in Skoova Stev's voice then what's the point

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Vinylshadow posted:

If it ain't in Skoova Stev's voice then what's the point

There's only one ping, and that's Vassily's

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Vinylshadow posted:

If it ain't in Turgle's wailing then what's the point

Fixed that for you.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Turgle is the best star wars character.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Okay we all made Cal a redneck the second we unlocked the hair options right

I also liked finding this guy who's just chilling and fixing droids for the raiders. You can tell they didn't really have an idea of what to do with Jedi mind tricks outside of combat because it's always a Sleazebaggano style 'make this person rethink their entire life' style one-off interaction but it's fun enough for a little flavor. Of course if this were KOTOR you'd get the options to [Light Side] talk him out of it, [Dark Side]demand a percentage of the profits, or [Very Dark Side]kill him and then reprogram the droids to kill his family

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

still absolutely criminal you don't get the Inqui suit

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Vinylshadow posted:

still absolutely criminal you don't get the Inqui suit

Lol, I don't remember that one. I always went denim for the redneck look, but I like the hair color coordination on this one.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Pictured: three friends on the lookout for rebels. I didn't kill these guys OR Rick the Door Technician because seeing my single parry take off 99% of his health bar made me feel sorry for him lol

Also this part really made me want to replay Chrono Trigger

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Wolfsheim posted:

Pictured: three friends on the lookout for rebels. I didn't kill these guys OR Rick the Door Technician because seeing my single parry take off 99% of his health bar made me feel sorry for him lol

I didn't kill those storm troopers, gravity did.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Ok so I pretty much just hit the climax and lol that the guy with the name whose name means 'omen' was actually a traitor, RIP Eno Cordova you had a cool mocap actor playing you even though you did nothing but uselessly research Zeffonians your whole life but the speeder sequence was still pretty cool

Now this is podracing

I also enjoyed the part where you play as Cere even though I knew exactly where it was headed, here's some extremely spoilery photos I took of it:

lol that Cere gets the only action shot I bothered to take

Cere realizing she's the wise mentor in a Star Wars game and that she is scripted to die here

Cere trying to get them to open the drat door on the Mantis so she can escape her mandatory cutscene death

Bonus: three friends on a cliff (I didn't kill this guy but Merrin did)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The game runs fine on my PC now. It's still very flawed, but at launch it was completely broken. I could stand in an empty featureless hallway with a 3080ti, all graphics at Low, and 1080p and get 50fps. A stable 60fps was literally unachievable regardless of graphics settings.

Now it merely "doesn't run quite as well as it should," which is far more tolerable.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The graphics are still extremely broken at times if you don't have RTX turned on, unless this patch drop fixed that.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Is the game worth playing on PC over PS5? PS5 was good at 30 frames but the performance mode was hosed and I think I've read that they somehow made it even worse.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

JBP posted:

Is the game worth playing on PC over PS5? PS5 was good at 30 frames but the performance mode was hosed and I think I've read that they somehow made it even worse.

If you can frame gen (40x0) yeah if not ehh

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

jisforjosh posted:

Also running a 9700k, so its not that.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

codo27 posted:

Also running a 9700k, so its not that.

Gotta be the undervolt, usually the only rears it's head when RTX is on.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I knew the game would eventually take me to a secret Imperial base but I still liked this one a lot. Cal going beast mode was kind of abrupt but I enjoy how overpowered that move is~

Cal what did you do to this man

Also lol at space redneck Cal dressing up as the least convincing ISB agent of all time

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

...that is a wrap on Jedi Survivor: Cal Kestis Becomes The Coolest Guy At A Bar. The ending is pretty underwhelming because at no point does the final boss, a guy with a jetpack and a weaker version of Cal's blaster moveset, seem more intimidating than the centuries old fallen Jedi leading an army of raiders. Also his plan to just raise his daughter in total isolation on a remote planet is completely ridiculous, and not even in a "he's gone mad with grief" way but in a "no seriously think about the logistics for five minutes" way. This definitely undercuts the oh noooo cal has to use the dark side to beat him bit because I really, really didn't.

Overall though its...kind of great? It touches greatness and then pulls back a little bit. Other than having a much weaker final level it's a complete improvement over the first game. The movement/combat are better, the levels much better, the characters more fleshed out, they even made a girl C3P0 and a squat Jar Jar and inexplicably neither were annoying? I think my favorite bit was going through the lucrehulk, though everytime I'd stumble across a random mid boss raider with a lightsaber I was pretty delighted too.

I don't think I'm going to 100% it or anything since hunting down force echoes and priorite shards isn't terribly interesting but still, what a ride. I'd easily put this among the best Star Wars games of all time, after KOTOR but above Battlefronts or something.

evil cal kestis sequel when

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Yeah he was pretty loving annoying to beat on Grandmaster, but the tentacle arm guy was 1000 times loving worse and I would have killed for a Press the Dark Side Button against him.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just started this and drat it looks amazing. I thought the first one looked great but I think they really stepped up the lightning in this one which the first one lacked. Love that they give you the dual blades early and it doesn't use force anymore. I also started on the highest difficulty because I played the first one like 3-4 times. I forgot that this game's parrying style is a bit different because how slow the attack animation of the enemies are. So you can often parry too quick instead of too slow which is the case in other parry based games.

I do like the buddy system but I am not sure how relevant it will be throughout the game so far it seems completely broken.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I had to think about it for a minute trying to remember who the last boss was as I read that post.

Next game needs to have a boss gauntlet mode but instead of bosses from the game, do classic battles people would really wanna do like vs Maul, Luke, Vader, etc. All straight up force users 1v1.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Wolfsheim posted:

...that is a wrap on Jedi Survivor: Cal Kestis Becomes The Coolest Guy At A Bar. The ending is pretty underwhelming because at no point does the final boss, a guy with a jetpack and a weaker version of Cal's blaster moveset, seem more intimidating than the centuries old fallen Jedi leading an army of raiders. Also his plan to just raise his daughter in total isolation on a remote planet is completely ridiculous, and not even in a "he's gone mad with grief" way but in a "no seriously think about the logistics for five minutes" way. This definitely undercuts the oh noooo cal has to use the dark side to beat him bit because I really, really didn't.

Overall though its...kind of great? It touches greatness and then pulls back a little bit. Other than having a much weaker final level it's a complete improvement over the first game. The movement/combat are better, the levels much better, the characters more fleshed out, they even made a girl C3P0 and a squat Jar Jar and inexplicably neither were annoying? I think my favorite bit was going through the lucrehulk, though everytime I'd stumble across a random mid boss raider with a lightsaber I was pretty delighted too.

I don't think I'm going to 100% it or anything since hunting down force echoes and priorite shards isn't terribly interesting but still, what a ride. I'd easily put this among the best Star Wars games of all time, after KOTOR but above Battlefronts or something.

evil cal kestis sequel when

the bad guy's plan isn't *that* bad, it's basically equivalent to moving out to a remote cabin in the woods and living off the land

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I actually really liked everything involved with the "main twist." For whatever reason I felt like it was executed well. I particularly liked Bode's characterization, where he was largely deluding himself and seemed to genuinely not comprehend the magnitude of what he did. And how surreal the encounter between him and Cal at the imperial base is, where Cal is also baffled by Bode's attitude. It also helped that I'm a moron who didn't see it coming.

So while I sort of understand people being underwhelmed by the "magnitude" of the final encounters, the game knocked it out of the park for me personally.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Ytlaya posted:

I actually really liked everything involved with the "main twist." For whatever reason I felt like it was executed well. I particularly liked Bode's characterization, where he was largely deluding himself and seemed to genuinely not comprehend the magnitude of what he did. And how surreal the encounter between him and Cal at the imperial base is, where Cal is also baffled by Bode's attitude. It also helped that I'm a moron who didn't see it coming.

So while I sort of understand people being underwhelmed by the "magnitude" of the final encounters, the game knocked it out of the park for me personally.

Endgame Spoilers: It helps that it's a two pronged spoiler, I saw the Bode betrayal right before it happened but did not see him being Force Sensitive coming.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Epi Lepi posted:

Endgame Spoilers: It helps that it's a two pronged spoiler, I saw the Bode betrayal right before it happened but did not see him being Force Sensitive coming.

Same when he whipped out the lightsaber I actually went whooooaa!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
That Force Push was such a great "Wait, did he just..." moment