Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

PARADOX // STEAM // DISCORD

quote:

KEY FEATURES
Rule a fantasy realm of your own design in Age of Wonders 4! Explore new magical realms in Age of Wonders’ signature blend of 4X strategy and turn-based tactical combat. Control a faction that grows and changes as you expand your empire with each turn.

Triumph Studios’ award-winning strategy series has emerged into a new age, evolving the game’s iconic empire building, role-playing, and warfare to the next level. A new storytelling event system and hugely customizable empires provide an endlessly replayable experience, where each game adds a new chapter to your ever-growing saga.

Powerful Wizard Kings have returned to the realms to reign as gods among mortals. Claim and master the Tomes of Magic to evolve your people, and prepare for an epic battle that will determine the ages to come.

CREATE THE EMPIRE OF YOUR WILDEST FANTASIES
Craft your followers by combining bodily forms, societal traits and arcane powers. Build anything from a clan of cannibal halflings to mystic moon elves, or recreate your favourite fantasy tropes

Seek powerful tomes of magic to enchant your armies and evolve your people! See your people physically change as they morph into angelic beings or scions of chaos to face their enemies.

Seek glory through brutal domination, cunning alliances, or ultimate arcane knowledge, and write your legacy into the very fabric of the realm itself!

STRATEGY MEETS ROLE-PLAYING LIKE NEVER BEFORE

Every choice opens up new possibilities and tactical advantages; deep, multilayered strategy allows you to try new tactics or explore new powers at every turn

Tactical turn-based battles bring your armies to life, showcasing their power in an environment shaped by your decisions. From skirmishes with roaming monsters to vast sieges with dozens of units on each side, with the addition of a morale system and more features, every battle brings a fresh challenge

Tremendous variety in empires, units, and environments keep the game endlessly replayable. Age of Wonders is more moddable and open-ended than ever in the series’ history

MAKE YOUR MARK ON A VAST REACTIVE WORLD

Explore a new realm with each game - or create your own! Challenge new variations and combinations of locations and features, from frozen wastelands ruled by ice queens to desolated ruins where dragons roam

A new event system provides unexpected levels of storytelling for 4X games. See your decisions shape the world around you, from growing cities and roaming armies to world-warping magic effects

Guide your empire to greatness - but the story doesn’t end with your victory or defeat! Ascend your rulers to an in-game pantheon and unlock ways to further customize your experience. Encounter your own creations as potential rivals or allies in subsequent games, and experience the next chapter in your own story!

We begin again. Welcome back ye old ones.

PLANETFALL THREAD // AGE OF WONDERS 3 THREAD

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Apr 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Age of Wonders 4 launches with an expansion pass containing the following;

quote:

Archmage Attire
The Wizards of Magehaven dress to impress, representing their grand personalities and ambitions. This outfit pack unlocks a new set of clothing you can wear as a whole or mix and match with other items.

Instant, exclusive access when buying the Expansion Pass

Age of Wonders 4: Dragon Dawn
Embrace the power of the Ancient Dragon Lords, in the Age of Wonders 4: Dragon Dawn Content Pack. From your Dragon Throne, forge empires inhabited by reptilian minions and use draconic magic to evolve your people into dragon hybrids. Includes a new Dragon Ruler type, a Reptilian Form, and New Tomes.

Included in Expansion Pass
Release: Q3 2023 (Stand alone price: $9.99)

Age of Wonders 4: Empires and Ashes
The empires of mortals resurge after the devastation brought forth by the Wizard Kings. In the Age of Wonders 4: Empires and Ashes Expansion, players fuse Magic and Steel to unleash devastating war machines to drive the Godir back into the Astral Sea. Includes a new Culture, Tomes, Empire Building options and Story Realm.

Release: Q4 2023 (Stand alone price: $19.99)

Age of Wonders 4: Primal Fury
Channel Nature’s Spirits in the Age of Wonders 4: Primal Fury Content Pack. Create races using new beastly forms and a primeval culture. New Tomes of Magic tap nature’s hidden powers and the Fey realms. Your surroundings contain new forms of wildlife, creatures and bountiful resources.

Planned release: Q1 2024 (Stand alone price: $9.99)

Age of Wonders 4: Eldritch Realms
The Age of Wonders 4: Eldritch Realms expansion opens portals to realms filled with arcane marvels and unspeakable horrors. New forces threaten the rule of the Godir of Magehaven. New story content, strange monsters, new racial forms, magical realms and locations bring a new dimension to the game.

Release: Q2 2024 (Stand alone price: $19.99)

Considering the pricing of Planetfall, sounds like DLC 2 and 4 will be bricks. Very interested to see if we'll be getting magitek in DLC2 and the shadow realms in DLC4.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Apr 27, 2023

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Post Reserved for Fan (Mod and other) Content.

CHEATS https://www.gamewatcher.com/guides/age-of-wonders-4-console-commands-cheats

"CHARACTER" BUILDER: https://ericdb.itch.io/wonderapp

DATABASE: https://minionsart.github.io/aow4db/HTML/DragonUnits.html?type=bone_wyvern&

AI Aggression and Wars: Observations from a day of tests https://www.reddit.com/r/AOW4/comments/13firo8/ai_aggression_and_wars_observations_from_a_day_of/?sort=confidence

How Defense works: https://www.reddit.com/r/AOW4/comments/13g4wls/how_defense_works/?sort=confidence

Reviews & Streams:

https://www.eurogamer.net/age-of-wonders-4-review-a-4x-for-the-curious

https://www.pcgamer.com/age-of-wonders-4-review/

https://www.mmorpg.com/reviews/age-of-wonders-4-review-2000127821

https://www.gamereactor.eu/age-of-wonders-4-1262143/

https://videogames.si.com/reviews/age-of-wonders-4

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/age-of-wonders-4-review

https://www.polygon.com/reviews/23699360/age-of-wonders-4-review-races-rpg-paradox-interactive

https://www.gamewatcher.com/reviews/age-of-wonders-4-review/13379

https://opencritic.com/game/14350/age-of-wonders-4/reviews

https://gideonsgaming.com/age-of-wonders-4-review/

https://www.ign.com/articles/age-of-wonders-4-review?utm_source=twitter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D31FomoH1u8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EblFGcmNzFQ

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 13, 2023

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I lived, bitch.

Real talk; the last five years has been a wild ride of ups and mostly downs, and discord has done a lot to replace SA for me, but I felt I should at least get off my arse and make this thread especially as a wonderful friend bought me the game last night.

Now you might be wondering at the lack of a snappy thread title, well... I posted accidentally and just rolled with it, then remembered. So... hit me with your recommendations and ill ask a mod nicely. :shobon:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Apr 27, 2023

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
HI all!

I've been hanging round these threads for years now, so most of you know this, but I'm a Dev on the game, and have been working with Triumph since the Overlord days. You might know me from streams and dev diaries, I normally go by the handle Tombles.

I usually try to be hands off since I find that me being in the thread is a bit like when your dad comes to your birthday party, but I'll answer any questions people have if I can! If I don't answer then I'm probably busy, or you've asked me something that I can't answer, maybe due to confidentiality or because it would make my employers look bad for some reason.

Hope you all enjoy the game!

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
There's a pretty cool app available that lets you play around with the known faction/society/tome/form options.

I'm excited to play as some frogs.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm very happy that Thyrork is okay, and we get this shiny new thread, too!

I'm looking forward to playing AoW4. I liked Planetfall just fine, but AoW will always be a fantasy series at first in my heart, so I'm glad for the return to the game's roots.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

thanks for the new thread op

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Help im old and dumb now and don't remember how we go about getting a thread renamed.

I was thinking "Age of Wonders 4 - A Frog Wizard Will Do." or something to the vibe of frog wizards. :frogc00l:

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

I think you just report the OP with a rename request or get in touch with a mod through PM

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Review embargo lifting, posting in the OP. Vibe seems good so far!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

thanks for making the thread so i could stop contemplating whether or not i should

game looks sick and the discord is already full of people asking for balance changes

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

honestly this can probably be the best aow if they keep adding more stuff and with 4 dlc already planned it def seems that way.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

ninjewtsu posted:

thanks for making the thread so i could stop contemplating whether or not i should

game looks sick and the discord is already full of people asking for balance changes

:hf:

Asked HopperUK to rename the thread to ; Age of Wonders 4 - Frog Wizard ain't no Croak.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

all they need to do now is add a ogre race so i can create goons

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

HallelujahLee posted:

all they need to do now is add a ogre race so i can create goons

Surely between toads, rats, and dwarfs we can make a reasonable approximation

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Humans with the +size thing!

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 27, 2023

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Triskelli posted:

Muskets are the absolute best and AoW4 won’t be finished until we get them back. They’re Tier 1 melee infantry with guns, what’s not to love?

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Mzbundifund posted:

Surely between toads, rats, and dwarfs we can make a reasonable approximation
it can work

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
gently caress it, i preordered it. the whole deal. AoW3 and Planetfall were good as hell so i feel ok about it. cannibal halflings incoming.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you want to preorder, fanatical has I think 13% off

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Woah, Age of Wonders IV releasing soon! Came out of nowhere, does the pre-release info look good? What are the major changes from 3?

Also, I think I owe a game to the winner of the Age of Wonders: Planetfall goon tournament. I volunteered to contribute to the prize pool, then IRL stuff happened and I stopped following the thread. So whoever won that tournament (Ninjew?), post in the thread letting me know + your steam ID.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Smiling Knight posted:

Woah, Age of Wonders IV releasing soon! Came out of nowhere, does the pre-release info look good? What are the major changes from 3?

Also, I think I owe a game to the winner of the Age of Wonders: Planetfall goon tournament. I volunteered to contribute to the prize pool, then IRL stuff happened and I stopped following the thread. So whoever won that tournament (Ninjew?), post in the thread letting me know + your steam ID.

Yeah, the system is pretty different overall from 3.

City founding is more limited, Heroes are tied to city (so you get one per city you have), and armies that aren't led by a hero can't capture cities any more. The way fights pull units into fights has also changed so you can have up to 3 stacks on each side instead of the hex adjacency rules from 3. In combat healing is now temp HP so you don't drag out easy combats to heal. Production is now split between units and buildings which have parallel build queues and different resources required.

Biggest change is the removal of classes. Instead at the beginning of the game you build out a faction and get to do some freeform development of it over the course of the game.

You start by picking either a Wizard King or Mortal Champion which gets you bonuses to casting or to your units.

Then you pick what form the race you're leading has. This includes the ability to make pretty much every race from AoW3 except Draconians and also has options for Frog people, Mole people, Rat people and a few others.

Every form has a default innate physical and mental bonus but you can pick any of them you want. This allows for everything from certain terrain preferences, to bonus defenses in combat to access to special mounts for their cavalry units.

Then you get to pick what kind of culture you have. This is a selection of 6 different base unit sets built around different themes which are equivalent to racial unit sets from 3. This also has some minor cultural bonuses and you can add two others like 'bonuses to diplomacy with NPC factions' or 'bonuses if you have forges in your cities domains' etc. These help define how your civ plays in practice.

Then you get to pick 2 starting 'Tomes'. This is where the bonuses that used to be in classes and specialties are. So picking the Tome of Beasts gets you access to some animal summoning and buffing spells etc. As the game goes on you get access to more and higher level tomes based on the ones you fill out and get to develop your society as the game goes on.

Higher level Tomes also have 'transformations' which are large buffs that affect your entire race, even units that other players have under their control. They can have any number of minor transformations (smaller things like Stone Skin for giving them defense bonuses, or Frost attuned to turn them into Frostlings :v:) and one Major transformation. Major Transformations are things like being able to turn them into Angels/Demons which gives all the units flight and other bonuses.

This app shows you all the options we know about for creating your civ

https://ericdb.itch.io/wonderapp

Zore fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 27, 2023

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Youtube suggested me an Age of Wonders "brutal mode" stream, I clicked out of curiousity (with no intention of watching it for more than a few minutes), and saw a giant excel sheet being livestreamed. This is off to an amazing start. :allears:

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
Watching some of PotatoMcWhiskey's stream and I'm really admiring some of the models: the Pope-Fish (Lightbringer) looks fab, the Mirror Mimic reminds me of the mimic from Annihilation in a good way, and the Shrine of Smithing (was it?) from the previous stream was another winner. Triumph's art team has always been good but they've really outdone themselves on some of these and the higher fidelity models really bring it out in the best way.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The mention of Overlord actually makes me now see a lot of similarity in the art styles.

And yeah I do like the models, especially the spear guys, I like that they all have really big spears which makes them very visually readable.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

PotatoMcWhiskey's latest stream starts with him basically gushing about how much he loves the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKbBYLmVI0c

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I'm totally new to the series and this popped up on my radar. From what I can tell civ and heores of might and magic had a baby and that baby lets you do stupid amounts of faction customization. Is this at all accurate? Because that sounds amazing.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah p much

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I'm totally new to the series and this popped up on my radar. From what I can tell civ and heores of might and magic had a baby and that baby lets you do stupid amounts of faction customization. Is this at all accurate? Because that sounds amazing.

oh man are you in for a treat

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Yes and congratulations on your impending good times.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm really looking forward to this. Although the DLC roadmap makes me wonder if I should wait for a GOTY or Steam sale instead of shelling out for a season pass.

Good to see you're still around Gerblyn!

Yes, that and pseudo X-Com combat, it's rad.

E:

Thyrork posted:

Humans with the +size thing!

Quill18 is a good watch if you're into the nitty gritty details. The dude has a super methodical approach to tactics and rpg mechanics.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Apr 28, 2023

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Gerblyn posted:

HI all!

I've been hanging round these threads for years now, so most of you know this, but I'm a Dev on the game, and have been working with Triumph since the Overlord days. You might know me from streams and dev diaries, I normally go by the handle Tombles.

I usually try to be hands off since I find that me being in the thread is a bit like when your dad comes to your birthday party, but I'll answer any questions people have if I can! If I don't answer then I'm probably busy, or you've asked me something that I can't answer, maybe due to confidentiality or because it would make my employers look bad for some reason.

Hope you all enjoy the game!

Your game looks real loving good dude.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Combat is like HOMM but you can't stack a thousand peasants into one tile to make a single super peasant.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Combat is like HOMM but you can't stack a thousand peasants into one tile to make a single super peasant.

That's what's so great about HoMM :v:

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

OwlFancier posted:

instead you can research a species-wide embiggening spell to make all of your peasants super peasants.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not quite the same as hobbes' leviathaning your way across the battlefield but still quite good :v:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Week 1 Mod to let you squish units together to get bigger units using forbidden dance techniques and earrings.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

OwlFancier posted:

What am I supposed to do with my Zounds! peasants then?

Should I try one of the earlier games that I assume I can get with all the dlc for fairly cheap first or wait for this release?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The release is in a few days (may 2nd) so uhhh idk but both aow3 and planetfall are extremely good games