Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Voyager I posted:

Actually, I'll ask this before I pull the trigger - how are the DLCs? Worth it for the full bundle?

It's Triumph so I'm assuming yes, but I'll do a little diligence.
Cheap at twice the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Voyager I posted:

Actually, I'll ask this before I pull the trigger - how are the DLCs? Worth it for the full bundle?

It's Triumph so I'm assuming yes, but I'll do a little diligence.

Splicer posted:

Cheap at twice the price.

I wouldn't go this far but I agree they are all good value. They are additive content though: core mechanic adjustments and additionals are part of the free updates.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Turn 39 1150 power vs 1750 mage tower, auto resolve was still a win but with 2 animist dying.

Giving storm crows a try instead of crocodiles, the summons don't have the raw power of the crocodile or mammoth but the 50% damage to adjacent units, especially if buffed with mana unchained or something similar, can be pretty nasty, it also helps that lightning is the best damage type in the game.
Plus grasslands is 80% of the world space so it's common to get some free movement and mana all over the world.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 20, 2024

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Was thinking about how the first materium empire skill is far and away the single most powerful economy pickup in the early game saving you 112g and 4 turns per outpost and whatever income you'd of got from those turns of not having the workcamp and in the late game it is the single strongest offensive skill when you can 1 turn a teleporter outside someone's capital and have areas to heal up.

Would it be a good change if half of the power of the materium outpost skill was shifted to the base cost of a camp without the skill? instead of 100g and 3 turns to make a camp how about 50g and 1 turn? making the materium skill a 62g and 2 turn savings which is still probably too good to pass up.

It is right now such a massive difference whether your build has 1 materium affinity early or not and to the point I always rush a materium signature skill on my starting lord to get some if I don't have any, it's probably setting the AI behind too if they don't recognize that power.

Yeah, whenever I'm messing around in the faction tool planner, I almost always take some kind of starting trait that gives Materium affinity because every time I've played without it I really feel its absence.

Wouldn't mind seeing Outpost spam nerfed.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

crepeface posted:

Wouldn't mind seeing Outpost spam nerfed.

I swear some variant of this issue crops up in every similar style game I've played

limit per city, perhaps adjusted by map size would be fine with me, I don't like littering them across the world

also having the AI use them for war would be nice, anyone seen them drop one as a forward teleport ever?

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

victrix posted:

I swear some variant of this issue crops up in every similar style game I've played

limit per city, perhaps adjusted by map size would be fine with me, I don't like littering them across the world

also having the AI use them for war would be nice, anyone seen them drop one as a forward teleport ever?

I have had them drop one in my face before, but almost always this is as a push to expand in the same basic spot I was.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Help me figure out what's causing this imperium after a battle.

I'm scion of evil/powerful evokers against a faction with relentless crusader, I can't think of anything but relentless crusader that would give me imperium for killing troops so is the enemy faction's relentless crusader giving me imperium?

It's not a visual thing either, I got a large chunk of imperium after wiping their stacks and I am not getting imperial after battle against factions without relentless crusaders.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Mar 20, 2024

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
I think outpost spam is kinda good, actually. It's a way to contest space, an essential part of a 4x; it also allows the player to make direct changes to the terrain, setting up walls as slowdowns/strongholds while supplying themselves with healing and roads. I think outposts are perhaps a bit too efficient with Materium 1, but conceptually I think they work pretty.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Teleporter outposts make the endgame crawl somewhat more tolerable.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I'd rather see them buff the other low level skills than make needs to the good ones.

Fruitful Integration(nature - new/conquered cities take fewer turns and get +1 pop) is pretty good. The problem here is that it's competing for the same space as the outpost one.

Surge Spellcasting(astral - 25% mana discount to other spell types after casting one type) is too situational, and should be the other way around as typically I'm spamming the same spell multiple turns in a row.

Call of Chaos(Chaos - free unit after defeating an infestation) is too narrow as you just might not run into that many infestations. Free units is nice if you're using recurring infestations then it's pretty good.

Pacification (Order - 300 relations to free cities after clearing infestation or conquering a city) is even more narrow than Call of Chaos and only useful if you care about Free Cities. I'm also not sure if this only affects the cities you've contact or not or is the bonus applies if you meet them after conquering one.

Knowledge Extraction (Shadow - 150 knowledge per hero defeated in combat) is a good one but not really worth taking early on as you won't really be encountering enemy heroes until roughly turn 20, kind of depends what your first quest is since Free City rushing is kind of off the table now.

Then on top of those you have the general ones that are situationally worth getting: embarking, tunneling, road building.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Move the free work camp bonus to a new general tree skill and add something else to the materium tree skill instead.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Splicer posted:

Move the free work camp bonus to a new general tree skill and add something else to the materium tree skill instead.

That would probably be the best way to go about it to bring materium down from "must have" to "better than most of the rest"

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Splicer posted:

In its place make it so Materialism claim ranges are +1(2?) bigger and outposts founded within claim range are cheaper/refunded on completion.

Would capture the vibe that Materialism is greedy.

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013
Please don't do anything to faster outposts+work camps. It will turn the game into a such a slog for me. Remove gold discount, throw it into the middle of the general tree whatever else don't care. Increase the cost even so it counts work camp price, just don't make territory control a nightmare.

But yeah it is a bit annoying always having to have materium but materium in general is very good and I pretty much always have at least a couple points of incidental affinity. I'm more irked at my inability to play anything other than high due to incredibly cheap research post. I'm not even particularly crazy about other stuff. Like yeah their package is great in economy and military but I just hate not having access to fast research so I either play High or start with Cryo tome.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I'd just swap some of the skills around and buff them. Making the Astral skill the one that gives you +20 casting points is way more impactful in the early game for both early summoning and damage/buff/debuff spells. Swapping the Chaos skill that reduces T1 upkeep cost and then also giving it a Draft cost reduction incentivizes you to build more small armies quickly. You could also lower the one that gives you a chance of getting a free t1-t2 after fights but I'm not a big fan of skills that don't always work/have that much RNG; just make a guaranteed T2 after every two fights, or a T1 and make it the first skill.

Shadow should swap 'All-Seeing' and also have it make contract with the nearest Free City. Getting vision isn't really that interesting but adding in something that causes other players to be unable to gain influence with the city as long as you have a stone there. Sort of a way of "claiming" that city for the future mechanically by thematically "whispering lies into its ear about other rulers to keep them off it". Similarly Order should swap with Diplomatic Channels and also make contract with the nearest free city, but also reveal the location of the others(not making contact).

Then you have the triad of strategies (agro, control, midrange) all being represented by two of the spheres that oppose one another and in very diegetic ways.
Nature and Materium represent control of the long game through expansion.
Shadow and Order both express themselves through interactions with neutral denizens in the world.
Astral and Chaos would represent aggressive power through spells or units respectively.

It wouldn't be perfect but at least there would be more of a reason to take one particular one as quickly as possible for your playstyle.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

That all sounds pretty good to me!

Did they change the free T1/2 to giving you the unit at the start of your next turn? It looks like that’s how dominate stuff works now. I instinctively avoid the free weak unit upgrade after the AI exploited it to hit me 2.05 (combat utility) stacks at a time in the end game when there are more than 3 stacks maneuvering.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

PaybackJack posted:

I'd just swap some of the skills around and buff them. Making the Astral skill the one that gives you +20 casting points is way more impactful in the early game for both early summoning and damage/buff/debuff spells. Swapping the Chaos skill that reduces T1 upkeep cost and then also giving it a Draft cost reduction incentivizes you to build more small armies quickly. You could also lower the one that gives you a chance of getting a free t1-t2 after fights but I'm not a big fan of skills that don't always work/have that much RNG; just make a guaranteed T2 after every two fights, or a T1 and make it the first skill.

Shadow should swap 'All-Seeing' and also have it make contract with the nearest Free City. Getting vision isn't really that interesting but adding in something that causes other players to be unable to gain influence with the city as long as you have a stone there. Sort of a way of "claiming" that city for the future mechanically by thematically "whispering lies into its ear about other rulers to keep them off it". Similarly Order should swap with Diplomatic Channels and also make contract with the nearest free city, but also reveal the location of the others(not making contact).

Then you have the triad of strategies (agro, control, midrange) all being represented by two of the spheres that oppose one another and in very diegetic ways.
Nature and Materium represent control of the long game through expansion.
Shadow and Order both express themselves through interactions with neutral denizens in the world.
Astral and Chaos would represent aggressive power through spells or units respectively.

It wouldn't be perfect but at least there would be more of a reason to take one particular one as quickly as possible for your playstyle.

idk anything about balancing in these kinds of games but that seems pretty cool. im a sucker for symmetry and flavour expression in mechanics.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

PaybackJack posted:

You could also lower the one that gives you a chance of getting a free t1-t2 after fights but I'm not a big fan of skills that don't always work/have that much RNG; just make a guaranteed T2 after every two fights, or a T1 and make it the first skill.
Tbh this seems like something that should interlock with the new post-combat recruitment mechanics. Winning a combat gains a smattering of war spoils and you gain some way to use war spoils to summon random t1/t2 city units to a location, or just spend them to reduce the cost of the basic post-combat recruitment. It'd be a neat way to dip into war spoils without going full Reaver and a nice Gimme skill for Reavers.

Actually the more I think of it the more I think that Barbarians should be shifted to full chaos (which I already thought since Primal Fury came out) and they should get their own gimmick where fighting lets them spend fightpoints to "build" units on the march. A kind of but not quite PvE reavers. So take what I said up there, make it the Barbarian gimmick instead of an empire skill, and make a new skill for that slot entirely.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Bouquet posted:

That all sounds pretty good to me!

Did they change the free T1/2 to giving you the unit at the start of your next turn? It looks like that’s how dominate stuff works now. I instinctively avoid the free weak unit upgrade after the AI exploited it to hit me 2.05 (combat utility) stacks at a time in the end game when there are more than 3 stacks maneuvering.

You can deselect your big stacks if they attack your small stack. Then you only lose the free unit.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

PaybackJack posted:

The counterpoint to swapping/buffing early skills like that is that it encourages raindbow builds: for a competitive/optimized start it is already "start with some Materium, and get Astral quickly", and the above would make that "start with Mat and As 1 always", because just the 1 point is enough to get that first skill in a reasonable timeframe. The alternative philosophy is to make the first 2 skills more niche and put the more universally good stuff into skill 3 and above, so that those become perks from specializing into that direction instead of being the guideline of what direction you need to start with. This is what is already kinda true for the other Affinities _but not_ Materium and Astral, who spike earlier than others at their first or second; Shadow 3 for example is absolutely fab and great for most games, but that it comes at Shadow 3 means that it isn't something you necessarily plan your first Affinity points around because that does get a little too restrictive.

Not that I disagree that the Affinity tree could use some finetuning/loving in the details, but how you do so does have quite an impact how the faction creation aspect plays out.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Shadow affinity is one of the empire trees I am perfectly fine with taking every permanent bonus it has on offer, with only the universal camo at home and soon-obsolete city vision range being a optional pickup.

The first +150 knowledge per hero kill when you start fighting free cities is great at giving you a extra turn of research and tons over the course of the game, +200 knowledge/mana on city capture when you are on the warpath is great, all the whispering stone related stuff is great, magic origin upkeep cut is amazing if you summon anything ever and death magic is essentially infinite casting points in any practical battle since it also triggers off your own stuff dying.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Gave a golem focused build a try and rushed tuning kits because the description said it overcharged them for +50 damage and wanted to see if that was flat damage or a typo for 50%, it's a typo and 50% damage is in no way worth the chance to stun itself for 2 turns, even with throwing negative condition removal and randomly removing the stun the golems they would just keep stunning themselves regularly and 2 turns of not being able to do anything is a death sentence.

Dislike it when the negative vastly outweigh the positives on random skills when I could just grab a better skill that is all upsides with no crippling downside.

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Gave a golem focused build a try and rushed tuning kits because the description said it overcharged them for +50 damage and wanted to see if that was flat damage or a typo for 50%, it's a typo and 50% damage is in no way worth the chance to stun itself for 2 turns, even with throwing negative condition removal and randomly removing the stun the golems they would just keep stunning themselves regularly and 2 turns of not being able to do anything is a death sentence.

Dislike it when the negative vastly outweigh the positives on random skills when I could just grab a better skill that is all upsides with no crippling downside.

Construct builds are great because of tome of constructs not tome of dreadnought. The spells there are incredible. I'm pretty sure it's the only tome that gives mass haste right now. And the overchannel combo of haste spell->mass attack ->mass defense mode spell with bronze golems is backbreaking. You want to get some ranged or support power on tier 3 tomes anyway when you already have a solid frontline strategy from t2. Maybe tuning kits are good when you've teched up to gold golems but I had them more than strong enough already without that ability when playing with constructs.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Yeah tome of construct is great, but I mainly wanted to test out tuning kits and see if the description was right and bronze golems would do +50 flat damage on a cleave, they do not.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
You want to combine tuning kits with a status clearing effect like from Alchemy or a Hero Skill. It's pretty punishing without one I agree.

Edit: I read hastily, yeah I agree it's not amazing on Bronze Golems, I had fun with it and Ironclads.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Get the Order Bolstering Matrix too and now your armywide buff spell gives everyone bonus crit chance

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 24, 2024

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Man, gently caress nimue

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Hey Gerblyn, I think I bothered you about this like literally ten years and two games ago - is there any possibility for an mp classic mode where the other player(s) control monsters/mauraders/ai etc in tac combat?

basically normal classic but your buddy is always trying to screw you over in every independent battle and vice versa (or at least the ones players opt into)

hell even a debug command to do this would rule

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

victrix posted:

Hey Gerblyn, I think I bothered you about this like literally ten years and two games ago - is there any possibility for an mp classic mode where the other player(s) control monsters/mauraders/ai etc in tac combat?

basically normal classic but your buddy is always trying to screw you over in every independent battle and vice versa (or at least the ones players opt into)

Maaaaaaaybe :q:

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

victrix posted:

this is a very cool idea

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

victrix posted:

Yeah, this would be very cool for head to head games.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Gerblyn posted:

:pray:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Gerblyn posted:

Oh gods oh please. I want this so badly, I was literally talking to Daton about it as we played our multiplayer games.

:pray:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
What are the actual affinity thresholds needed for tier 3/4/5 tomes? I know that was changed in a later patch but I don’t recall the actual numbers

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

What are the actual affinity thresholds needed for tier 3/4/5 tomes? I know that was changed in a later patch but I don’t recall the actual numbers

3/6/8

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

anyone seen Carnalfex or Madmac round these parts recently?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

isn't carnalfex the internet janitor? he's in the old pf goon discord if nothing else

madmac has been on steam so he ain't dead but the last time i talked to him predates planetfall

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Heya Victrix, what's up? Your post about having other players control monsters in combat would go a looooooooong way to help alleviate the problem with simultaneous multiplayer being an afk fest. If all players in the game were able to participate in every combat suddenly the best part of the game, tactical combat, becomes a fun and desireable part of multiplayer for the first time. That would be MASSIVE.

You'd probably want some kind of system to handle what happens when more than one player selects the same unit to control. Ideally something like you choose units with a priority "I want these three, this one is my favorite then this one" and if any priority choices coincide then the ties roll dice until there is a winner. Probably also want the whole system to be an option that can be toggled off as it wouldn't play well with the play-once-a-day PBEM style games.

The way total war lets you gift friendly units to allied players is super fun, but I don't think that works as well in a turn based game since there is no worry about micromanaging units on a time budget. Even with turn timers on, players can't do more than one action at a time, so it isn't overly useful.

Still, just having players control the baddies lets you revel in the tactical combat goodness. Improves multiplayer massively AND makes the tactical combats way more personal and exciting.

If something like this is added I would buy so many more copies of this game and all the content ever made for it.

It would also make for really fun streaming content.

Carnalfex fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 1, 2024

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
It also makes me feel less bad about never engaging in player vs player, since I don't vibe with that unless I'm ideally meant to lose gracefully but close enough to leave the players entertained!

Why yes I do GM LANCER, did my avatar give that way? :thunk:

SO yeah, I'm 100% behind this idea of playing the npc's. Plus we get to see so many neat skills that are exclusive to the T5 units and harder to come by.

... also considering their track record, I consider this a sign that yes, DLC 4 will include endgame crisis's. Or at least random ones. 3 had it in the necromancer expansion, planetfall had it sooner with the shakarn's but that does not invalidate my suspicions. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Is there an order I should be doing the meta progression unlocks or does it not really matter? It seems like most of them are cosmetic but there are some things with a gameplay effect sprinkled in there?