Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

aow pvp combat is great and there should be more entry level drugs for it

also means low skill players can learn more about performing well in tactical in a low stakes environment if they're playing with a higher skill buddy.

man it could even make duels pretty fun if you just allow manual combat, but your opponent gets to control the other army. no AI cheeses and the other player isn't stuck sitting around doing nothing for 15-30 minutes. makes the autobattle choice have some interesting tradeoffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Talorat posted:

Is there an order I should be doing the meta progression unlocks or does it not really matter? It seems like most of them are cosmetic but there are some things with a gameplay effect sprinkled in there?

I'd suggest bee-lining the society traits sprinkled about as those give you more options to play around with: note that the tree is not a downwards linear thing, you can move upwards and sideways from a connecting node.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

Talorat posted:

Is there an order I should be doing the meta progression unlocks or does it not really matter? It seems like most of them are cosmetic but there are some things with a gameplay effect sprinkled in there?

There are a bunch of alternate leader starting loadouts, society traits, and stuff like that that open up new gameplay options. It isn't all cosmetic. One of the more unique unlocks is the chosen destroyers society trait that prevents you from ever building or taking an additional city, only allowing you to burn them to the ground, but gives substantial and permanent economy benefits for doing so. Makes for a very different approach to the game.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I kinda set the game down after Dragon’s Dawn with the intent to wait for the Primal Fury pack to come back to plenty of updates and boy have I not been disappointed. You guys are killing it Gerblyn. The ability to expand cities through underground entrances, all the little touches like the new coastal terrain and mushroom forest models and COLOR CHANGING WIZARD TOWERS.

Also I feel smug because I’ve sold like two or three people on the game by Let’s Playing it in my little discord channel of friends :3:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It's been good consistent improvements, looking forward to what they are cooking up for the eldritch stuff in the summer.

Drone Incognito
Oct 16, 2008

There are no drones here. No way no how.

Captain Oblivious posted:

The ability to expand cities through underground entrances.

How the hell did I miss this l. Today I learned.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Drone Incognito posted:

How the hell did I miss this l. Today I learned.

Its so good.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
welp i got this a week ago and I keep getting my rear end kicked by the ai on normal difficulty. that post in the op about how the AI handles wars was a big help, but are there any other newbie resources?

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Soonmot posted:

welp i got this a week ago and I keep getting my rear end kicked by the ai on normal difficulty. that post in the op about how the AI handles wars was a big help, but are there any other newbie resources?

My saved newbie tips :):
-Fill out your starting city cap before turn 20, this lets you keep pace with the ai and develop from there. Make sure you don't overspend Imperium on other things before this. Cities don't need to be perfect, just plop them down near the next resource cluster, a modest city early is better than a perfect city later.
-Always keep your army on the move to clear nodes, not just for access and xp but also to feed the resource rewards back into your cities, most of your early economy is probably straight up from these bonus rewards and your army functions as part of your economy this way.
-When it doubt, get more research (Knowledge). Developmentally this is the most important resource that you can get consistently out of your cities, so get those research buildings up, and if a province can have a research post then build a research post over anything else.

The changes to the hero cap has created a bit more possibilities for nuance in regards to cities/heroes, but the above is still very functional to start with.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Talorat posted:

the unlock rate is way too slow imo. personally, I used cheat engine to unlock everything

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

crepeface posted:

the unlock rate is way too slow imo. personally, I used cheat engine to unlock everything
It's pretty high if you surrender games you're not planning to finish rather than just leaving the save file sitting there.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I still found it pretty slow

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Age of Wonders 4 is still missing one critical element from 3:

Why can’t Plague and Storm Serpents evolve like in 3 Gerblyn. It’s cool to have animals that can evolve to tier 3/4 that aren’t spiders and my beloved danger noodles used to be the answer to that :colbert:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hey, on your Pantheon, when you set someone to be "Recruitable as Hero" does that exclude them from appearing as rulers?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Autsj posted:

My saved newbie tips :):

Thank you, was definitely not plopping cities like that. When I make armies should I only use 6 unit stacks or send out smaller ones like I see the ai doing? I've been waiting for a full six with or without a hero.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Soonmot posted:

Thank you, was definitely not plopping cities like that. When I make armies should I only use 6 unit stacks or send out smaller ones like I see the ai doing? I've been waiting for a full six with or without a hero.

For clearing the map at the start you can and should use whatever you start with immediately, possibly excluding scouts.
It's a race. The faster you clear the map the better you'll be later on due to more army and hero XP and the ability to use the resources gained sooner.

There's nothing magic about having a full stack of 6 units, except that it's the most units you can bring into an ancient wonder.

For regular map battles, the max is 3 full stacks of 6, 18 units total.
Once you have 3 full stacks moving around with each other then you can't bring any more power into a battle without swapping units out for better ones. Make sure they're all in support range.

Whether or not you want to clump them together is up to you to figure out. If you're still clearing the map then maybe not. If you're at war with an enemy, then probably yes.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Age of Wonders 4 is still missing one critical element from 3:

Why can’t Plague and Storm Serpents evolve like in 3 Gerblyn. It’s cool to have animals that can evolve to tier 3/4 that aren’t spiders and my beloved danger noodles used to be the answer to that :colbert:

you've got piggies and worms too

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

ZearothK posted:

Hey, on your Pantheon, when you set someone to be "Recruitable as Hero" does that exclude them from appearing as rulers?

Yes!

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm not sure if this is intentional behavior or not, but the setting that causes infestations to respawn seems to be making their activity indicators not reflect their actual behavior- when they first spawn the infestations will show as 'deep sleep' and list it as taking 9+ turns for them to activate, but about half of them will transition into the active/patrolling state after just a turn or two. It seems reasonable that this would be intended since a basic camp is basically just a speedbump after turn 30 or so, to be fair.

Also, an unrelated question- what specifically does affinity do for non-leader heroes? I've seen some hero skills that provide +3 affinity to the hero and +2 global when appointed as governor, and the latter effect is pretty obvious, but I'm not sure what affect the personal part has- does it boost the governed city yields?

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

kvx687 posted:

I'm not sure if this is intentional behavior or not, but the setting that causes infestations to respawn seems to be making their activity indicators not reflect their actual behavior- when they first spawn the infestations will show as 'deep sleep' and list it as taking 9+ turns for them to activate, but about half of them will transition into the active/patrolling state after just a turn or two. It seems reasonable that this would be intended since a basic camp is basically just a speedbump after turn 30 or so, to be fair.

Also, an unrelated question- what specifically does affinity do for non-leader heroes? I've seen some hero skills that provide +3 affinity to the hero and +2 global when appointed as governor, and the latter effect is pretty obvious, but I'm not sure what affect the personal part has- does it boost the governed city yields?

Yeah the non global affinities just boost governed city yields a little bit.
It's not a lot. +2 of a given city income per point of leader affinity. So 1 chaos is 2 draft, 1 shadow is 2 research, etc.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

One thing I wish we could do is like, change the Eagle Mounts form trait to Flying Mounts and have a slider for flying mount options like we do regular mounts. And maybe have that apply to units like Exemplars too.

Gimme dino boys on wyverns. Or storm bird cavalry for primal.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

requisite "look at the thing i'm involved with" post: https://www.reddit.com/r/AOW4/comments/1c6dftv/skirmish_event_faction_submission/

long story short for winslaya skirmish saturdays we're looking for community submitted builds to run. give me bad joke builds to make the build selection process more exciting

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

ninjewtsu posted:

requisite "look at the thing i'm involved with" post:

Oh hey me too: https://mods.paradoxplaza.com/mods/78755/Any

A few of us on the discord are working on it and a beta is on the paradox plaza. Steam when its more complete or when one of the team (Rime) does it. I felt like putting their (arca_bibliophile's the author on discord) work out since I'm involved alongside others.

E: Anyway, to actually answer the question;

I'll submit a fuller shitpost build later. :colbert:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 18, 2024

trypsin
Jul 8, 2007
Having played around with Primal Culture quite a bit, the difficulty in finding Dens definitely affects some spirit animals more than others.

@Gerblyn - a suggestion. Would it be possible to swap the effect of the Temples (buildable only when a Den is annexed and the Tier 3 Shrine to the Spirits? +10 food per Farm (Shrine) is kinda eh when the city is already Tier 3, especially if you waited till size 10 to get the T3 boost. But it would be a decent incentive to settle Den locations if you could get it quickly. Likewise, the Dens are always(?) in favoured terrain and so the Temple effect of terraforming city terrain to favoured terrain often doesn't have much effect. But if you could get that effect for a city anywhere, via the T3 Shrine, that would be a good payoff for reaching T3, and it would also mean developed Primal empires were typically full of the favoured terrain, rather than this only being the case for spirit animals with corresponding terraforming spells (like the Wolf and Forests). If I play Sabertooth Tiger I want to be able to turn my whole empire to ashlands!

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I just picked up the deluxe edition while it was on sale. In AoW3 I spent forever agonizing over a build and the OP of that thread had everything helpfully laid out. I understand the customization is a lot different now, do I still need to worry about making a solid build? Is there a guide somewhere?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Cool Dad posted:

I just picked up the deluxe edition while it was on sale. In AoW3 I spent forever agonizing over a build and the OP of that thread had everything helpfully laid out. I understand the customization is a lot different now, do I still need to worry about making a solid build? Is there a guide somewhere?

nope! it's very forgiving, play the tutorial and a few small maps to get your feet then go from there

a lot of people build themed races for fun, or you can dig into min maxing, but it's not necessary anywhere outside the highest difficulty (and there you can still do fun themes just fine if your fundamentals are solid)

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
and now on steam too; https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3227227168

Here I go writing again.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I suspect doing an underground start is only making me struggle more, but man I have a hard time enjoying Reaver.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I suspect doing an underground start is only making me struggle more, but man I have a hard time enjoying Reaver.

get some Golems for a frontline (or whatever, there's probably other suitable tanks)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Reaver is one of those "I appreciate that it exists and what it's doing but it's personally not for me". Like the bad boy civics in Stellaris. It's not something I'll really play a second time but I'm glad it's in the game.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
My biggest complaint regarding reaver is that it works significantly better if you go astral and nature for tome of beasts, tome of scrying, tome of glades, and tome of amplification. Their best feature is mark synergy and chaos and materium do basically nothing interesting for them.

Magelocks are a trap. You don't build around any other culture's t2, and it is the same for reavers.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

KPC_Mammon posted:

My biggest complaint regarding reaver is that it works significantly better if you go astral and nature for tome of beasts, tome of scrying, tome of glades, and tome of amplification. Their best feature is mark synergy and chaos and materium do basically nothing interesting for them.

Magelocks are a trap. You don't build around any other culture's t2, and it is the same for reavers.

I mean, I would agree that you don't "build around" magelocks, but I wouldn't call them a trap.
They're at least "good" in terms of being a ranged damage unit.

Just use them to support melee and position them so that they'll have line of sight and enemy melee units don't get in their face.
In that respect they're like almost any other T1-T2 ranged damage unit, only moreso due to the full action attack.

Fun fact: magelocks and the gun ability on dragoons ignore half of the target defense stat. I think that's very useful, especially on tougher opponents like heroes.

I agree that tome of scrying is a no brainer. Other sources of mark such as the archer from tome of glades are welcome.
But here are some tome synergies you missed:
Chaos tome of the hoard has houndmasters. War hounds mark enemies on attack.
Cryomancy has a great freeze spell that synergies well with subdue.
Materium has a lot of great stunning stuff, especially later. That all synergies well with subdue.
Tome of the dreadnought has 2 marking combat spells.
Tome of the winds has seeker arrows, which grants ranged and skirmish units an additional range.

Not sure what tome of beast does? It's always a solid pick overall, but it doesn't give you anything that synergies with reaver in particular.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I've been meaning to do a magelock build in skirmish for a while but the one I ran a while ago fell on its face pretty hard. Walker thinks having a tiny number of them instead of making them a build-around is more viable, which may be correct.

You can play around their longer range and high damage potential a decent amount, they're setup units. In pvp their big Achilles heel is that getting someone next to them shuts them down really hard.

I think another major issue with them over normal archers is they have more difficulty scaling. Their full action attack does basically the same raw damage as a same-tier archer's 3x attack, but you then get the defense bypass on top of that, which should equate to substantially larger damage. This is the advantage they get in exchange for losing a normal archer's flexibility in being able to take less powerful 2x and 1x shots after moving. However, their bypass only works on defense - so when you throw on -2 physical +4 frost damage enchantments, that +4 frost damage doesn't get the defense bypass as it's going against resistance instead. Meanwhile the physical portion of the attack that gets the defense bypass has been lowered.

It's kinda rough. They are super fun if you play around them, but I wouldnt say the reward is worth the cost.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Even though Mark as Prey doesn't actually tie in to the mark mechanic it's still a cheap ~50% damage against a target.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Magelocks might work best with a "critical mass" and the +1 range enchant, just being unable to tie them all down at once and able to just delete anything that is tieing up another magelock unit so they can fire.

Abducting cyclone is a great spell to pair with them to either move a unit out of melee or drag a valuable enemy unit into firing squad range with no resist chance.

They are without a doubt the worst ranged unit to bring if the enemy outnumbers you even slightly however since they will never be able to fight back.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Lowen posted:

Not sure what tome of beast does? It's always a solid pick overall, but it doesn't give you anything that synergies with reaver in particular.

The build I ended up enjoying took one of the mount racial options, making gladerunners mounted.

Dragoons are an amazing mounted skirmisher and glade runners can be mounted and have nearly perfect synergy with reaver bonuses, and as you mentioned houndmasters can work really well with reavers early game. The mounted and animal synergies from tome of beasts can really make all of those units pop. You also get immediate acceleration to your gameplan in the form of summonable animals, many of whom can evolve. I ended up having a frontline of t3-t4 animals supported by gladerunners and dragoons and it was much easier and fun to use in tactical combat and felt a lot more powerful than other builds I tried.

I've played too much with the tome of cryomancy (It is easily my favorite t1 tome), so I've been pushing myself to take other options.

I played reavers 6 times trying to find something I liked and for me nature and astral was the only time it clicked. Which doesn't really feel in line with what their culture is supposed to be about.

Edit: What I mean when I say magelocks are a trap is that the unit seems really neat and unique so a lot of people want to build around them. No other culture gets players to (mostly unsuccessfully) try to make a t2 unit the cornerstone of their strategy like magelocks. T3 tome units are super easy to come by and are significantly better.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 21, 2024

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Magelocks might work best with a "critical mass" and the +1 range enchant, just being unable to tie them all down at once and able to just delete anything that is tieing up another magelock unit so they can fire.

Abducting cyclone is a great spell to pair with them to either move a unit out of melee or drag a valuable enemy unit into firing squad range with no resist chance.

They are without a doubt the worst ranged unit to bring if the enemy outnumbers you even slightly however since they will never be able to fight back.

Yeah magelocks are great if you spam the poo poo out of them. You want to be dealing murderous amounts of damage to everything every round. A minimal force of constructs for screening and then just blast every bastard down with sheer weight of fire. As much range and accuracy buffing as you can, maximise damage output as much as possible too.

Combine with the cannons to knock enemies out of defense mode and blow chunks out of tight formations.

Their skirmsher cav are also very good. Honestly not a bad unit in the roster IMO. Even the basic pikes are essentially a T1.5 IMO and priced to match.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
My main complaint about Dragoons is because of master skirmisher you can't sit them next to enemy units to retaliate if they move away if you already attacked with them, which feels bad sometimes if you need to tie down a ranged unit.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Just something I made after installing shadow magic and seeing someone's post about "need an army? seduce an orc" and realizing how well it aged. Thanks Talion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I think people underestimate the reaver support. Stealing units after the battle is secondary to subdue being a 90% chance to essentially kill any unit that's been immobilized.