Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

AoW3 is great but also an incredibly huge game. By all means play it but you probably won't really get a proper feel for them in a short time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

aow3 is the same type of "fantasy" setting as 4 but planetfall is probably closer in terms of features to the new one than 3 at least based on what ive read/seen.

with such few days left before 4 though i would just recommend 4 or planetfall if its like 80% off or whatever

their all good games

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I guess this is the place to ask: looks like a lot of the DLC features are faction pieces: are they doing/have they historically done the Warhammer thing with DLC races where they can show up as AI with their DLC features even if you don't buy the DLC?

I'm not hugely interested in using some of the preannounced DLC faction parts myself but if their availability for opponents is only for DLC owners then they might still be worth buying the season pass for if the math works out. (or, well, not refunding it before Monday I guess since I already bought it on Steam)

also this looks real good, I've honestly bounced off the first three games but I am ready to be hurt again

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

The release is in a few days (may 2nd) so uhhh idk but both aow3 and planetfall are extremely good games

tbh i went back to aow3 recently and this one looks much better, aow3 is interesting but feels very unfinished if you want to play it like a traditional 4x. Or underdeveloped might be the better word, compared to the systems shown off in this one.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

I guess this is the place to ask: looks like a lot of the DLC features are faction pieces: are they doing/have they historically done the Warhammer thing with DLC races where they can show up as AI with their DLC features even if you don't buy the DLC?

I'm not hugely interested in using some of the preannounced DLC faction parts myself but if their availability for opponents is only for DLC owners then they might still be worth buying the season pass for if the math works out. (or, well, not refunding it before Monday I guess since I already bought it on Steam)

also this looks real good, I've honestly bounced off the first three games but I am ready to be hurt again

historically, if you don't have the dlc it doesn't appear in your game

if you play mp with someone who owns dlc then the host's dlc state decides what spawns in the world, and your dlc state determines what faction creation options you personally can pick

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

ninjewtsu posted:

historically, if you don't have the dlc it doesn't appear in your game

if you play mp with someone who owns dlc then the host's dlc state decides what spawns in the world, and your dlc state determines what faction creation options you personally can pick

Thanks for the info, I feel a lot better about biting the bullet for it all then.

OwlFancier posted:

tbh i went back to aow3 recently and this one looks much better, aow3 is interesting but feels very unfinished if you want to play it like a traditional 4x. Or underdeveloped might be the better word, compared to the systems shown off in this one.

And also about this because this was EXACTLY my problem with AoW3, there was a lot of cool stuff there in the tactical combat and RPG side but I wanted more 4X (better diplomacy, better internal empire management) than was present.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah the combat side is fine, good even, but the strategy side kinda kills it because that's what affects what you bring to the combat.

You need systems to encourage you to field a varied and limited army because that's when combat is interesting, and AoW3 doesn't really have those. It lacks diminishing returns or tradeoffs or interesting development of land you hold.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Dallan Invictus posted:

If you don’t own the DLC, the content won’t appear at all. I can’t confirm it right now, but I think that Ninjew is right about being able access DLC content via multiplayer though.

Personally, if I could change one thing in AoW3 it would be the damage previews. Like:

2 x 4-6 physical 1-3 fire 1-3 ice

Such a mess of info, I don’t really know what we were thinking at the time.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah the combat side is fine, good even, but the strategy side kinda kills it because that's what affects what you bring to the combat.

You need systems to encourage you to field a varied and limited army because that's when combat is interesting, and AoW3 doesn't really have those. It lacks diminishing returns or tradeoffs or interesting development of land you hold.

more than that, kinda inherent to the whole premise of these games is that good strategic play is never taking fights you aren't certain you'll win, but risky fights are what make for interesting tactical combat. i don't know how you'd go about solving that problem but it's the biggest thing holding the series back imo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well I think that's what the constraints are for. Ultimately you want scarcity of resources and to make snowballing as little of a thing as possible. Things like city defences can help, making a smaller empire harder to conquer outright for a larger one, thereby meaning it can continue to pose a threat as you may choose to leave it alone and simply defend against it rather than trying to wipe it out immediately.

What's been shown suggests a lot of environmental threats and logistical challenges to going on the offensive, and a fairly firm restriction on direct city control and productvity for large cities, all things that would have the effect of slowing down the snowball and giving more opportunities for retaliation by other factions.

Players might play optimally by only picking fights they can win easily, but the game can ensure those opportunities come up as infrequently as possible.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
In Planetfall, only picking fights you overmatch is a slower growing strategy compared to being willing to lose units to secure high quality sectors and cosmite income early, and in AoW4 where unit production doesn’t compete with building production, deliberately challenging harder fights may be even more advantageous.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Mzbundifund posted:

in AoW4 where unit production doesn’t compete with building production

so glad they made this change.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I hope this thread has just as many ridiculously in-depth balance discussions from Gerblyn et al. (but no pressure)

It was weirdly comforting to me to know that stuff was being examined at such depth to try and keep it reasonably fair, even if I was never good enough at the game for it to matter.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

maybe the way i should put it is that if you're doing well on the strategic map your armies are bigger and beefier so tactical combats are less challenging, ultimately becoming trivial in most scenarios

pvp plays out in the no risks taken scenario until one player has safely built up an overwhelming advantage over the other. unless someone rushes, which pretty well forces the issue in such a way that either the rushed player is caught off guard and immediately defeated, or is able to scrape together enough stuff to make for an actually interesting fight (rush more rush always)

i should mention that in the previous thread i had said that no one rushes anymore in the pf mp community and i have since found out that that is outdated information, and some very skilled players are primarily rushers, though that's still a minority as far as i can tell

OwlFancier posted:

Well I think that's what the constraints are for. Ultimately you want scarcity of resources and to make snowballing as little of a thing as possible. Things like city defences can help, making a smaller empire harder to conquer outright for a larger one, thereby meaning it can continue to pose a threat as you may choose to leave it alone and simply defend against it rather than trying to wipe it out immediately.

What's been shown suggests a lot of environmental threats and logistical challenges to going on the offensive, and a fairly firm restriction on direct city control and productvity for large cities, all things that would have the effect of slowing down the snowball and giving more opportunities for retaliation by other factions.

Players might play optimally by only picking fights they can win easily, but the game can ensure those opportunities come up as infrequently as possible.

i should maybe also mention that a lot of age of wonders snowballing comes from the rewards you get for clearing neutrals off sites (invest resources into military -> military cleans out sites -> get more resources to invest again feedback loop) so unless they've removed that aspect of the game it'll probably still be pretty snowbally

that being said i don't necessarily think snowballing is bad, the way this rewards players for early militarization (and thus engaging in tactical combat, The Fun Part of the game) is pretty cool

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 28, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

more than that, kinda inherent to the whole premise of these games is that good strategic play is never taking fights you aren't certain you'll win, but risky fights are what make for interesting tactical combat. i don't know how you'd go about solving that problem but it's the biggest thing holding the series back imo

At least for casual players, a big part of the learning process is figuring out what kinds of opponents will gently caress your guys up and which won't. Once you get a rough idea of that, the next step is to learn how not to rely on doomstacks because it's way more efficient to send the bare minimum out exploring for cool poo poo and the same for harrying the AI.

All that to say that being able to produce units at the same time as buildings is really nice because it gives the player a little more leeway to take risks as you mentioned. I guess we'll see how that plays out but I'm hopeful it helps.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Zore posted:

Yeah, the system is pretty different overall from 3.

City founding is more limited, Heroes are tied to city (so you get one per city you have), and armies that aren't led by a hero can't capture cities any more. The way fights pull units into fights has also changed so you can have up to 3 stacks on each side instead of the hex adjacency rules from 3. In combat healing is now temp HP so you don't drag out easy combats to heal. Production is now split between units and buildings which have parallel build queues and different resources required.

Biggest change is the removal of classes. Instead at the beginning of the game you build out a faction and get to do some freeform development of it over the course of the game.

You start by picking either a Wizard King or Mortal Champion which gets you bonuses to casting or to your units.

Then you pick what form the race you're leading has. This includes the ability to make pretty much every race from AoW3 except Draconians and also has options for Frog people, Mole people, Rat people and a few others.

Every form has a default innate physical and mental bonus but you can pick any of them you want. This allows for everything from certain terrain preferences, to bonus defenses in combat to access to special mounts for their cavalry units.

Then you get to pick what kind of culture you have. This is a selection of 6 different base unit sets built around different themes which are equivalent to racial unit sets from 3. This also has some minor cultural bonuses and you can add two others like 'bonuses to diplomacy with NPC factions' or 'bonuses if you have forges in your cities domains' etc. These help define how your civ plays in practice.

Then you get to pick 2 starting 'Tomes'. This is where the bonuses that used to be in classes and specialties are. So picking the Tome of Beasts gets you access to some animal summoning and buffing spells etc. As the game goes on you get access to more and higher level tomes based on the ones you fill out and get to develop your society as the game goes on.

Higher level Tomes also have 'transformations' which are large buffs that affect your entire race, even units that other players have under their control. They can have any number of minor transformations (smaller things like Stone Skin for giving them defense bonuses, or Frost attuned to turn them into Frostlings :v:) and one Major transformation. Major Transformations are things like being able to turn them into Angels/Demons which gives all the units flight and other bonuses.

This app shows you all the options we know about for creating your civ

https://ericdb.itch.io/wonderapp

A lot of those changes seem great. The limiting cities, temp healing, 3v3 max stacks, and production splits seem laser targeted on AOW III gameplay decisions that were optimal but unfun.

Glad to see Gerblyn still around too. Guess I will pre-order!

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

I've watched a lot of the streams and love what I see so far. My only complaint is that I'm not playing right now!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Smiling Knight posted:

A lot of those changes seem great. The limiting cities, temp healing, 3v3 max stacks, and production splits seem laser targeted on AOW III gameplay decisions that were optimal but unfun.

Glad to see Gerblyn still around too. Guess I will pre-order!

I've never liked the "pull in nearby armies" thing specifically because of the snowballing issues mentioned already

I realize it theoretically means you can have bigger interesting fights, but that's never how it played out for me in the past

Plus it's another mechanic you can use against the ai that it usually can't use as well as a human

But a *lot* of other changes in this game seem like deeply considered mechanical changes to address various long standing issues, so we'll see

To be very clear, I do not expect an AI that can play at a perfect level and defeat me without cheating, if it puts up enough of a fight that it generates interesting combat on a regular basis while playing through a single map, that's all I ask

With the huge variety in realm creation I'm hopeful that I can play through an endless series series of interesting engagements over time, fingers crossed

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I just went ahead and picked up the Premium Edition. I’m gonna buy all that dlc anyway lets be real here.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Captain Oblivious posted:

I just went ahead and picked up the Premium Edition. I’m gonna buy all that dlc anyway lets be real here.

Yeah, same. Triumph has always delivered on DLC and I can't really play AoW3 without Eternal Lords.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
As a person who is used to Owlcat sorts of releases (massive game ending bugs and major features simply not working), what's the track record on these as far as bugs at launch?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Guildenstern Mother posted:

As a person who is used to Owlcat sorts of releases (massive game ending bugs and major features simply not working), what's the track record on these as far as bugs at launch?

Super solid normally, and features and balance just get better and better with the add-ons.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Combat is like HOMM but you can't stack a thousand peasants into one tile to make a single super peasant.

This is what I was wondering about. If I like Heroes of Might and Magic III, would I like this game? It seems like the answer is yes.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

I said come in! posted:

This is what I was wondering about. If I like Heroes of Might and Magic III, would I like this game? It seems like the answer is yes.

They have some similarities but a lot of differences. You're really best off watching some gameplay videos to evaluate for yourself.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

They have some similarities but a lot of differences. You're really best off watching some gameplay videos to evaluate for yourself.

Fair! and with the game just around the corner, this will be easy.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Master of magic is a better comparison

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

I said come in! posted:

I mean, I'm a huge Heroes of Might and Magic III fan, and I've loved AoW since the first released 6 months after HoMM3. But there are some real differences between the games. Towns are less static in AoW, and there are no unit "stacks" like in HoMM. Do watch some gameplay videos as Captain Obvlivious suggested.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Here is a complete list of every demoless game I've pre-ordered since SotS II broke me.

1) Age of Wonders IV Premium Edition

Splicer fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Apr 29, 2023

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Their support is also about as close to perfect as you can ask - they do regular, substantial balance updates based on community feedback, their DLCs always add cool fun stuff, and none of the balance/mechanical/ui updates are tied to DLC

There's usually some random bugs and quirks around launch, but nothing like the *checks notes* last 6 AAA PC games this year

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Also picked up the Premium edition because Triumph have a great track record and AoW3 and Planetfall were excellent titles.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I said come in! posted:

I would say it's more like a combat focused 4x. If you've ever played Gladius the warhammer 40k one. Or kinda like civ, except you go onto a HOMM style battle map rather than fighting on the world map.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The Venn diagram of people who enjoy HoMM and AoW is practically a circle so regardless of their many differences, it's probably going to be enjoyable.

This is maybe weird but I would also like to see Triumph's take on the King's Bounty games.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

The stars aren't in the right places.
Turin (YT rts guy) is streaming possibly the first public 1v1 pvp game of AoW4 in about 5 hours with I think Italian Spartacus.

Hope one of their heroes gets captured and sent to the other's dungeon for maximum affable trash-talking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-AGZcLg-0Y

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

victrix posted:

Their support is also about as close to perfect as you can ask - they do regular, substantial balance updates based on community feedback, their DLCs always add cool fun stuff, and none of the balance/mechanical/ui updates are tied to DLC

There's usually some random bugs and quirks around launch, but nothing like the *checks notes* last 6 AAA PC games this year
Remember how the last paid DLC for AoW III was in 2015 but over the following two years they improved mod support, expanded random map generation, and capped the game off with a massive free ocean content update?

Because I do.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I've been curious about this series for the past 20 years (holy gently caress) but somehow never got around to playing any of them. My budget was always limited and there was always a lot of games competing for my time whenever one of these came out and then I sort of forgot about them later. I'm going to pre-order this and plan to play it day one so I don't miss out again.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Adam Bowen posted:

I've been curious about this series for the past 20 years (holy gently caress) but somehow never got around to playing any of them. My budget was always limited and there was always a lot of games competing for my time whenever one of these came out and then I sort of forgot about them later. I'm going to pre-order this and plan to play it day one so I don't miss out again.

If your budget is particularly limited the older games are feature compete and dirt cheap. I was able to get Planetfall for a fraction of 4's price a few weeks ago and it has eaten up all of my free time.

Edit: AoW4 looks easier to get into and learn. This might just be personal, though. I grew up playing MoM and AoW1 and 2 so the things I see in 4 make more intuitive sense while in Planetfall I keep having to read every single statblock and mod because everything is so asymmetric and isn't a genre I'm savvy enough in to just know how things might work. It has really grown on me but the initial few games were rough. I bounced off completely when the demo first came out.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 29, 2023

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

victrix posted:

I've never liked the "pull in nearby armies" thing specifically because of the snowballing issues mentioned already

I realize it theoretically means you can have bigger interesting fights, but that's never how it played out for me in the past

Plus it's another mechanic you can use against the ai that it usually can't use as well as a human

But a *lot* of other changes in this game seem like deeply considered mechanical changes to address various long standing issues, so we'll see

To be very clear, I do not expect an AI that can play at a perfect level and defeat me without cheating, if it puts up enough of a fight that it generates interesting combat on a regular basis while playing through a single map, that's all I ask

With the huge variety in realm creation I'm hopeful that I can play through an endless series series of interesting engagements over time, fingers crossed

I was focusing specifically on the elimination of the 4 stack v 3 stack problem. I know we had to house rule or gentlemen’s agreement that one, and even versus AI on harder difficulties they’d often have cities defended by five or six stacks you’d have to hack through piecemeal.

I hope the devs have continued to iterate on campaign map design, the III and Planetfall campaigns I would describe as serviceable but not too tier.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgj1s6-EKnY&t=50s
potatomcwhiskey's review in the first 2 minutes then goes into gameplay

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 30, 2023

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Marbozir really likes it too, says it's the best 4x from the last few years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfzdGiflPaU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
By far the best reception for the game so far (judging by preview/review view counts, at least) seems to be in Russia.