Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I am not at all salty that every youtuber and streamer on the planet has early access

Nope

Not even a little

:salt::salt::salt::salt::salt::salt::salt:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Splicer posted:

Here is a complete list of every demoless game I've pre-ordered since SotS II broke me.

1) Age of Wonders IV Premium Edition

Oh hey you too huh.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Splicer posted:

Here is a complete list of every demoless game I've pre-ordered since SotS II broke me.

1) Age of Wonders IV Premium Edition

:same: - I preordered the premium edition back in march based on the quality of AoW3/PF +expansions alone.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

thinking about multi model units that get weaker as they're damaged

in general I'm assuming this means single units are tougher at the same attribute levels

has anyone seen enchants or abilities that enhance multi model units?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I think I saw something saying that they don't take as much of a damage penalty as they take losses.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There are also things that give you more models per unit, so extra HP/damage presumably.

Thing I was thinking about... I wonder if there could be a thing that lets you connect a city between the underworld and overworld. I dunno if they're 1:1 compatible but that would be interesting.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Yeah, it’s one of the physical traits you can take at the start

there’s also an enchantment that shrinks your dudes and adds more of them to each unit (along with a healthy +20% damage buff) which potentially smooths out the penalty a bit (though conversely you don’t retain extra damage for staying above breakpoints, so it being good/bad may be contextual) - it’s mentioned as being incompatible with a different ability that sounded like it embiggened them (no idea about exact effects, but presumably it would reduce model count)

so there’s definitely some stuff that interacts with it

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Thyrork posted:

Oh hey you too huh.
Ignoring MMOs, there's two games that Mrs Splicer and I played a huge amount of together early in our relationship. They were SotS and AoW2 (and shadow magic when it came out). There's specific events that we still bring up every so often over a decade later. Handing my crappy college laptop back and forth playing hotseat AoW2 was a big part of our early dating, and staying up stupid late marathoning SotS comp-stomps was our go-to weekend activity after we moved in together.

We both pre-ordered SotS II :negative:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Thing I was thinking about... I wonder if there could be a thing that lets you connect a city between the underworld and overworld. I dunno if they're 1:1 compatible but that would be interesting.

I'm not sure how that would work mechanically, but a super city that goes from the depths to the clouds would be cool

sky layer when

LGD posted:

so there’s definitely some stuff that interacts with it

yeah I figured it would be a design knob they'll tinker with, but the immediate balance ramifications aren't obvious to me

does this mean single units are more expensive, or higher tier, or are multi units considered benefitted by mods that enhance them?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

victrix posted:

I'm not sure how that would work mechanically, but a super city that goes from the depths to the clouds would be cool

I was thinking like maybe it founds a city on both layers and units can path between them, and if one falls the other does too.

Or maybe if you build separate cities on top of each other you can connect them for unit pathing. Seems like it would be a fun thing for civs that specialize in the underground to be able to do.

victrix posted:

does this mean single units are more expensive, or higher tier, or are multi units considered benefitted by mods that enhance them?

I think generally single units seem to be less powerful individually for their tier because they stay powerful until they die, but there are like, really big beefy single units later on.

It seems to just be a different type of unit, if you have a squad of guys it's often powerful but loses power as it takes damage, if you have a single dude it's consistent but perhaps less powerful when in top shape.

There are basic units that are single entities, some of the early summons seem to be like that.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 30, 2023

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

is there an easy way to identify what units are in a defensive stance that is buffing adjacent/nearby friends?

charge breaking the correct defensive stance will probably be important in bigger fights, wondering if you can spot those at a glance

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

victrix posted:

is there an easy way to identify what units are in a defensive stance that is buffing adjacent/nearby friends?

charge breaking the correct defensive stance will probably be important in bigger fights, wondering if you can spot those at a glance

There's a glowing yellow or blue shimmering thing on the ground around the unit (the color indicates whether it's providing physical or magical protection)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

victrix posted:

yeah I figured it would be a design knob they'll tinker with, but the immediate balance ramifications aren't obvious to me

idk about all that but it's going to make aoe damage much more valuable. effectively every attack comes with a -damage debuff right? so you gain value out of situations where you damaged someone but did not kill them

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ninjewtsu posted:

idk about all that but it's going to make aoe damage much more valuable. effectively every attack comes with a -damage debuff right? so you gain value out of situations where you damaged someone but did not kill them
I do like anything that mixes up the general "The best status effect is dead" focus fire. I'm assuming single-stack units don't have a "bloodied" equivalent though.

\/ true that \/

Splicer fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 30, 2023

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

ninjewtsu posted:

I particularly like that it makes aoe damage more valuable against units instead of solo monsters. It "feels" right and makes some degree of intuitive sense.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Does aoe damage do more against multi entity units?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Does aoe damage do more against multi entity units?

not as far as i've seen but chip damage is much more likely to kill a model and bring down the damage on a unit with many models

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Gerblyn posted:

There's a glowing yellow or blue shimmering thing on the ground around the unit (the color indicates whether it's providing physical or magical protection)

based, good stuff

ninjewtsu posted:

sure, that's the obvious tactical implication, that's why I was curious how it has affected the multi vs single unit balance in terms of cost, availability, buff/debuff effects,

like if you have two completely identical units but one is multi figure and the other is single, the single is 'obviously' better, but it's not so obvious if there's a lot of buff effects that can potentially make the multi unit stronger

dunno, I'm sure we'll be complaining at Gerblyn about it in a few weeks, I'll wait till I've had some hands on time to see how they handled it

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

victrix posted:

sky layer when

The greatest joy the modding community might give us is multiple layers so we can turn this game into Conquest of Elysium levels of.... levels.

Well, maybe san's the whole part where summoning a demon literally yanks it out of the demonic layer it was chilling in. :haw:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It does kinda give me dominions vibes a little bit already.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

For me it's much more master of magic

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

And bought the Premium edition. Got AoW3 for free around when PF released and got the DLC for cheap and felt like a thief in the night. Bought PF at a discount after it had all the content updates and had a great time with it, so I figure I might as well get this on release to make up for it.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
Looking at the Archives and Master List - has there ever been a completed LP on the forums of any of the Age of Wonders games? It doesn't seem like it, weirdly.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I vaguely remember someone doing a full cult of storms run through of the first game, but I don't recall if they ever did more then that?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I've been watching Quill's video stream today. He does all the fights, but let's the computer control instead of either auto-resolving or fighting himself. It's bizarre. It doesn't leave me feeling good about the tactical layer being engaging.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

LLSix posted:

I've been watching Quill's video stream today. He does all the fights, but let's the computer control instead of either auto-resolving or fighting himself. It's bizarre. It doesn't leave me feeling good about the tactical layer being engaging.

He said he was doing it because he is only allowed to stream for a limited amount of time, it is faster, and he wants to show later game. (I'm not sure why he doesn't auto-resolve then, but he did say that.)

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Also I think he said a couple times that he thinks the AI is probably better controlling his troops than he is lol. I’ve watched Quill for close to a decade and idk that I think of him too much as a tactical combat mastermind kind of guy. Anything approaching micromanagement that can instead be automated frequently is.

Anno fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 1, 2023

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah nah, if you want someone doing sick poo poo in combat I'd go with Potato McWhiskey or Turin

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Yeah, if you want to see someone having fun with/breaking upon his knee the tactical combat, check out Potato McWhiskey. That's the video I watched and I barely understood his complex battleplans even though he explained them.

I'm going to admit those videos made the game look interesting, though not enough to get me to break my rule and preorder. I'll be waiting to hear opinions once the game is out though.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I feel like I'll like his videos more once I've gotten my hands on it but he's so excited and in depth it makes me want to do exactly that. Like when you're watching a friend play and it's all you can do not to snatch the mouse and start looking at everything.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

If you want to see a human spirit in extremis you can watch terra Invicta breaking his soul like a tiny china doll

Orv
May 4, 2011

sebmojo posted:

If you want to see a human spirit in extremis you can watch terra Invicta breaking his soul like a tiny china doll

:allears: I feel kinda bad for wanting to see that, Quill seems like a nice person but I’ve never really clicked with his style of doing stuff.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I figured the heavy customization was just going to be Not Good on the avatars but... based on everything I've seen, it's the opposite, it's extremely good

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Thyrork posted:

The greatest joy the modding community might give us is multiple layers so we can turn this game into Conquest of Elysium levels of.... levels.

Well, maybe san's the whole part where summoning a demon literally yanks it out of the demonic layer it was chilling in. :haw:

Wonder how long it'll take before modders bring back the Shadow World from AoW: Shadow Magic.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Oh yeah, if anyone looking at this thread also happens to be in South America, Nuuvem has a 13% discount available up to next week.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

To be fair Potatomcwhiskey is also using auto combat a lot and he plays Civ6 in a way that makes deity difficulty look casual.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

victrix posted:

I figured the heavy customization was just going to be Not Good on the avatars but... based on everything I've seen, it's the opposite, it's extremely good

Tome of Revelry transformation.

I'm want to see if I can put hooves and horns on my Froggies.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Cyflan posted:

Wonder how long it'll take before modders bring back the Shadow World from AoW: Shadow Magic.

DLC 4, probably.

Well then. Drink something nice at the launch party Gerblyn and never forget the humble origins where y'all came from.

And never stop making fun of weirdos online by rewording the warbreeds to be women after someone complained Sundren shouldn't be fighting because "women can't fight thats unrealistic".

E: ok I might have the story wrong but for those curious or cursed; https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3532785&pagenumber=137&perpage=40#post439048414 Obviously the official boards thread is gone into the void but some quotes remain.

I'm still waiting. :colbert:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 13:06 on May 1, 2023

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I’ll be very happy if this is a big breakout for the series. It’d be incredibly well deserved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Agreed!