Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

withak posted:

Do we even know that they are on earth?

Now you're talking. Each silo was a rocket launched from Earth and bore into the surface of another planet, Mars?

Ignore the broken city skyline on the horizon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

withak posted:

Do we even know that they are on earth?

In before Lukas realizes the lights rotate in a pattern 320 days long
:lost:

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Season 12 reveals that every human is actually a walking silo and we follow the adventures of the microscopic people within.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

TraderStav posted:

Now you're talking. Each silo was a rocket launched from Earth and bore into the surface of another planet, Mars?

Ignore the broken city skyline on the horizon.

Oddly that’s the plot of one of the author’s other books. Humanity does what humanity does and sends spaceships full of embryos to other planets to colonize them. If it’s a good planet, incubate them and get to work, slave! If not… well I guess Roe V Wade still exists in that future.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Silo takes place in the same cinematic universe as Transformers and the silos are actually Megatron’s dick.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
the ultimate aim of the silos is to bring about third impact

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Scrotum Modem posted:

Unoriginal sci-fi idea:

all the silos carry clones. there is a clone of everyone in every silo, well, at least the original inhabitants. so maybe not a clone of everyone, but at least there are clones of the main actors.

this sounds like a big Vault-Tec Corp experiment (Fallout game series)

i sure as gently caress hope i'm wrong

pardon my july 4th drunk posting

gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaary

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Scrotum Modem posted:

Unoriginal sci-fi idea:

all the silos carry clones. there is a clone of everyone in every silo, well, at least the original inhabitants. so maybe not a clone of everyone, but at least there are clones of the main actors.

this sounds like a big Vault-Tec Corp experiment (Fallout game series)

i sure as gently caress hope i'm wrong

pardon my july 4th drunk posting

Oops, all Cleons. Thanks Foundation

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

latinotwink1997 posted:

Oops, all Cleons. Thanks Foundation

I don’t think anyone would complain if there were a ton of Lee Pace clones just running around.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Season 2 ep titles have leaked. Looks like they're further along than we thought.

S02E01 - Everybody Loves Jules
S02E02 - Welcome To The Jungle
S02E03 - On Cah Mer Ah
S02E04 - S.1.L.0.
S02E05 - The One Where The Air Runs Out
S02E06 - Lies
S02E07 - The Hole
S02E08 - Coffee & Oxytocin (An Interlude)
S02E09 - Bernard v Jules: Dawn Of Judicial Ultimate Edition
S02E10 - Jules Gets A Gundam

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

hell yeah

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Only Kindness posted:

Season 2 ep titles have leaked. Looks like they're further along than we thought.

S02E01 - Everybody Loves Jules
S02E02 - Welcome To The Jungle
S02E03 - On Cah Mer Ah
S02E04 - S.1.L.0.
S02E05 - The One Where The Air Runs Out
S02E06 - Lies
S02E07 - The Hole
S02E08 - Coffee & Oxytocin (An Interlude)
S02E09 - Bernard v Jules: Dawn Of Judicial Ultimate Edition
S02E10 - Jules Gets A Gundam

Oh man I'm really surprised with all the changes from the book that they're keeping the Gundam story line, I wonder how they'll fit that in with the changes they made.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

How do I know who the antagonist is if they don't have a mask?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

Bugblatter posted:

How do I know who the antagonist is if they don't have a mask?

you've seen them, you just don't realize they're wearing a mask

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I just binged through this and am hungry for more, but I want to keep the show as my primary way to experience the story. How many of the books can I go through before I start running into spoilers for the next season?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

blastron posted:

I just binged through this and am hungry for more, but I want to keep the show as my primary way to experience the story. How many of the books can I go through before I start running into spoilers for the next season?

Roughly half way through the first book, Wool.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
the books came out in different ways. Wool is the "omnibus" that became the first book. before that it was split into a whole bunch of novellas. thats why some people talk about about 10 and 15 and stuff.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I think I’ll wait, then. I don’t trust myself to be able to stop reading halfway through. Thanks!

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

ded posted:

the books came out in different ways. Wool is the "omnibus" that became the first book. before that it was split into a whole bunch of novellas. thats why some people talk about about 10 and 15 and stuff.

It was an interesting concept buying them Serialized on Amazon and having each bit drop into my Kindle every now and then. Less so after the fact trying to re-read them because you have to re-download them or organize them on your Kindle.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I got into the first book after watching the show and I'm already pleasently surprised about what gets revealed early and differently from the show

The writing however isn't stellar

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Mikojan posted:

I got into the first book after watching the show and I'm already pleasently surprised about what gets revealed early and differently from the show

The writing however isn't stellar

It's not great but I struggle to find a single change in the show that made it better than what was in the book. Audio book wise I really liked the reader for Wool, not so much the other two.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Just binged this, overall enjoyed it, now waiting for season 2 while trying to resist just reading Wool.

What is the rationale for projecting the false image into the visors? Is that what motivates people to clean? While it made for a cool twist, I'm not sure it makes sense.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Just read it. It won't spoil your enjoyment of the show.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Yea I have never really cared about spoilers; surprises are surprises whether I read them first, or watch them first, so I am reading Wool and I recommend it too.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Just got to the equivalent end of Season 1 in the book.

Book spoiler
"Silo one, this is silo eighteen"

Was pretty helpful to aid in the finale, feels like it may have answered a few of the questions.

Turning into a great beach page turner here.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Also, I think I'm happy they added everything they did to the show. Built out the world and characters with more more depth and interest than in the book. If the show matched the book 1:1 it'd feel rushed and unearned. Maybe the stuff they added comes up later in the books so it's just rearranging, but either way I think it was a big positive to the show.

I'm glad both exist.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I really enjoyed this. Did the first couple hours of the audiobook with some friends on a road trip before I began the show, so it was a little strange being in the dark for just about everything in the show except knowing the world really was ruined. I think revealing it early makes a good hook for the book, but am glad the show held off. Single use AR goggles do seem a little silly, though.

What was the “water problem” George and Juliette referenced? It almost seemed like they didn’t know how to swim and were afraid they would sink if they went into the water. I probably just misunderstood the dialogue.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Dinosaurs! posted:

I really enjoyed this. Did the first couple hours of the audiobook with some friends on a road trip before I began the show, so it was a little strange being in the dark for just about everything in the show except knowing the world really was ruined. I think revealing it early makes a good hook for the book, but am glad the show held off. Single use AR goggles do seem a little silly, though.

What was the “water problem” George and Juliette referenced? It almost seemed like they didn’t know how to swim and were afraid they would sink if they went into the water. I probably just misunderstood the dialogue.

We don't see any swimming pools in the silo, so presumably how 2 swim is lost knowledge

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Man they could have opened a pretty rad water park at the bottom of the silo there, stick in some high diving boards and some sweet waterslides.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Ok cool, swimming being lost knowledge was what I figured. I like that they trust the viewer to pick that up instead of hitting it over your head.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I wish that the end of season one had showed that the outside world was fine and there was a thriving community up top that never contacted the silo folks by choice. Like assimilating the silo dwellers would just be too big of a hassle so it's easier to let them live in their self contained cave

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

priznat posted:

Man they could have opened a pretty rad water park at the bottom of the silo there, stick in some high diving boards and some sweet waterslides.

I wonder how warm that reservoir of water would be that far down. Something like 2km?

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Apple's Silo Season 2 Placed on Indefinite Hiatus

heh well i wouldn't expect anything else if actors are striking

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Watched season 1 in a few days and kept waiting for the reveal that the silo wasn't actually in the US as a way to explain all the bad American accents from the non-American actors, but nope, I guess they just hired a load of UK-based actors as it was shot here.

Anyway, I felt that for a first season it had a few too many filler episodes, though the production design was good and appreciated the real sets and that you could see characters run down the stairs and along a level. It seemed very vague about resources and where they came from - for people stunned by the sight of trees, they sure seem to get through a lot of paper. They've also got a wide variety of appliances that are still working after apparently 140+ years - are there a dozen levels just full of factories manufacturing gadgets? I was wondering if, after we see Gloria having the vision of the beach from the book, if that wasn't actually a memory and everyone's been down there for a much shorter period but have had their minds wiped using a weaker form of the sedative she was given - though maybe I'm overthinking it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is indefinite hiatus a precursor to being canned? Like I know there’s a strike and all but it’s gotta end, eventually. Putting the show on indefinite hiatus instead of just a normal hiatus until things settle makes it sound like they’re just gonna outright cancel it but don’t wanna pull the trigger just yet.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is indefinite hiatus a precursor to being canned?

I don't think so. I think sometimes a hiatus without a fixed end is a bad sign. In the case I think it's mostly just a reflection of the situation and, maybe a tiny bit, a toothless threat.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Breaking bad's first season was disrupted by the last big writers strike, so there's a data point.

Let's not talk about Heroes.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Oof. Heroes second season was rough but I honestly think that that wrote a few narrative cheques its budget would have never allowed it to cash out, it's like, you set up these characters with these world destroying powers and all your budget allows you to show is light flashes behind closed doors? that's not gonna work, after a while.

I really don't think Silo is cancelled given it was hyped as Apple's most succesful drama or whatever, they only have like one other show people are actually talking about.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is indefinite hiatus a precursor to being canned? Like I know there’s a strike and all but it’s gotta end, eventually. Putting the show on indefinite hiatus instead of just a normal hiatus until things settle makes it sound like they’re just gonna outright cancel it but don’t wanna pull the trigger just yet.

I assume it’s around cutting contracts of the non writer / actors. Like no set designers or line producers if you don’t know when filming will start up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
finally watched the finale, god drat what a waste of time. Could have been a fun premise, except for 99% being boring trash that makes no sense.

just watch episode 1, 2, then 10 and you’ll have missed nothing.