Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
3 is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

So does this show explain how they produce oxygen for 10000 people? Is it in the books? Or they just don't bother? You'd figure if say it was CO2 scrubbers/ anything produced by the generator then turning it off would be an even bigger deal.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Just Chamber posted:

So does this show explain how they produce oxygen for 10000 people? Is it in the books? Or they just don't bother? You'd figure if say it was CO2 scrubbers/ anything produced by the generator then turning it off would be an even bigger deal.

Did you see the farms? If they can grow food crops in their underground bunkers they can probably manage some algae as well.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The camera cover story is that they're (just?) carbon dioxide monitors.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
This show was way too slow. Should have been five, six episodes tops.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Just Chamber posted:

The books explain much about the plausibility of the situation, but going into more detail will surely involve spoilers. Like it was said itt before but these are not books that leave you with any ambiguity about really, anything, in the setting, the show tries hard to evoke 'Lost' but the books are more like Dexter circling the word 'Black Van', everything is answered, and then when you think all of the mysteries were resolved the books spend 200 hundred pages where characters tediously explain to each other every potentially loose plot point, which you've really already figured out ages ago.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
I said this in another thread, but Common played almost the exact same role in the animated kids' movie Smallfoot but at least that movie had a song about it.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Commons character feels like he had a rider or whatever in his contract. “I’ll play a cop, but I get to look cooler than everyone else.”

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I really enjoyed this. I feel like it was the right length for the season.

The finale is a mind gently caress. She better be going to all the other silo cameras and doing little jigs or something.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

TraderStav posted:

Let's not talk about Heroes.

I think it's appropriate, given the situation. A good vid on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpSxuQA2qdQ

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Reading the books is a p fun experience after watching the season

Oh that character? Nah let's not bore you with his peronsal life. They wrote up a loooot of extra filler for the TV show for sure.

The entirety of season 1 in the books is basically condensed into a few plot points supply tape better, jahn dies, bernard big (small) bully, holston mysterious, alright lets go outside!

I def enjoyed the TV show, but I don't think I can sit through another season full of filler once I have completed these books

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Mikojan posted:

Reading the books is a p fun experience after watching the season

Oh that character? Nah let's not bore you with his peronsal life. They wrote up a loooot of extra filler for the TV show for sure.

The entirety of season 1 in the books is basically condensed into a few plot points supply tape better, jahn dies, bernard big (small) bully, holston mysterious, alright lets go outside!

I def enjoyed the TV show, but I don't think I can sit through another season full of filler once I have completed these books

I also have been enjoying the books, but they are definitely a different pace and style. I feel they complement the show well.

I'm about a quarter into book two. I was worried before starting it that it'd be just more of the same but was very pleasantly surprised by the change in narrative structure and all. Being vague to be spoiler free, but REALLY enjoying the second book! I think it'll translate well to the screen.

I.G.
Oct 10, 2000

I liked the pacing of the show, and I'm glad they spent a lot of time on the supporting characters. The performances felt strong to me, and added a lot of depth and believability to a setting that I'm not sure holds up if you think about it too critically.

I never noticed anything about Rebecca Fergusson's accent. To me the major problem, which seems ubiquitous now, is actors just mumbling constantly. Plus a lot of editing where we're looking at the listener's face while the person talking is off screen, so you can't see their mouth move.

The narrative justification for the fake helmet displays (and the cleaning ritual in general) is pretty weak I think. It could be worse, but my suspension of disbelief level is close to maximum. I'm pretty forgiving of this at the moment since the overal vibe is something like 1984 + Dark City + Fallout, all of which I have a soft spot for.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I.G. posted:

a setting that I'm not sure holds up if you think about it too critically.
It absolutely doesn't. It's full of stuff that doesn't make sense or wouldn't work. Like, why would they fake removing the birth control implants instead of just rigging the lottery? Why bring the doctors into the conspiracy when they could easily contain it to IT? Or, how did they completely erase all historical knowledge within a few generations? There's this cut-off point 144 years ago beyond which no one knows anything. Nothing got passed down by word of mouth.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

Tiggum posted:

It absolutely doesn't. It's full of stuff that doesn't make sense or wouldn't work. Like, why would they fake removing the birth control implants instead of just rigging the lottery? Why bring the doctors into the conspiracy when they could easily contain it to IT? Or, how did they completely erase all historical knowledge within a few generations? There's this cut-off point 144 years ago beyond which no one knows anything. Nothing got passed down by word of mouth.

op i don't know if you noticed, it was very subtle, but there are in fact people passing things down by mouth - the flamekeepers, and all the people in the suits outside, who are dead and not sleeping as you may have thought

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
They talk about there being memory drugs in the water supply.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

op i don't know if you noticed, it was very subtle, but there are in fact people passing things down by mouth - the flamekeepers, and all the people in the suits outside, who are dead and not sleeping as you may have thought

Practically everyone should know a bit though, because people talk to each other - especially about important events like a massive rebellion that somehow wiped out all historical records. The idea that there's only this small group of people passing down information is what's implausible. The fact that the authorities were able to so completely wipe out all knowledge of the time before the rebellion is what's implausible. Especially without a new, false history to replace it.

Like, think about the next generation of kids born after the rebellion. They go to school and learn that all history has been lost, so they go home and ask their parents about it and their parents say what? "Sorry, I can't remember a single thing from my childhood. It's a complete blank. Those pesky rebels got inside my brain and erased history."

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Tiggum posted:

Practically everyone should know a bit though, because people talk to each other - especially about important events like a massive rebellion that somehow wiped out all historical records. The idea that there's only this small group of people passing down information is what's implausible. The fact that the authorities were able to so completely wipe out all knowledge of the time before the rebellion is what's implausible. Especially without a new, false history to replace it.

Like, think about the next generation of kids born after the rebellion. They go to school and learn that all history has been lost, so they go home and ask their parents about it and their parents say what? "Sorry, I can't remember a single thing from my childhood. It's a complete blank. Those pesky rebels got inside my brain and erased history."

I forget exactly what they know from pre-rebellion times, but I assumed the rough timeline goes:

Bad stuff happens to the world
People enter the silo
Knowledge about the pre-silo world mostly vanishes
Rebellion happens
Knowledge about what caused the rebellion mostly vanishes

Perhaps the first generation (and the generation from the time of the rebellion) agreed to let potentially-dangerous knowledge die out?

jassa fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Aug 11, 2023

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

jassa posted:

Perhaps the first generation (and the generation from the time of the rebellion) agreed to let potentially-dangerous knowledge die out?
Sure, maybe there was a near-universal conspiracy to keep information from the following generations. You can come up with possible explanations for (probably) all of it. But there is a lot of stuff, as I.G. noted, that doesn't really hold up if you think about it too critically. Those were just the two examples I thought of immediately. There's more pretty much wherever you look. Like computers being relatively common and not subject to strict control, 'cause Juliette doesn't seem to have any difficulty using one, and the hacker guy had free enough access to them to learn to hack, but the sort of technology needed to make and maintain computers seems to be basically unknown to the general populace. Again, it's not impossible to explain, it's just one of many things that the show obviously doesn't expect you to think too deeply about that add up to the setting being pretty implausible.

Which is not a criticism of the show, btw. I think the show was mostly pretty good. These things don't really matter. But they are there.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
the show and books do have some plot holes and there are no doubt elements that stretch the plausibility of the scenario, but it's so odd to watch this season and make these observations thinking that these are not things that are going to get addressed in one way or another, like it's a mccarteryst nightmare, the show deals with the censorship of information and control of narratives, do you really think that we're just meant to learn these details and think it all checks out and there's nothing weird about any of it?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Having gotten through halfway of the second book, I can say that while these holes are not 100% covered, they are handled in a pretty satisfying way once some of the mysteries are revealed.

I'm finding the second book to be way better than the first and digging the world that was created now that I have learned more. Point being, if they get a few seasons and stick to the major themes, I think all of this is going to work out.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Also I always just sort of assume that there is even more knowledge passed around/pre-rebellion talk that happens but it's just so criminalized that it's never public.

It's just kind of ambient to the world if that makes sense.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

emanresu tnuocca posted:

the show and books do have some plot holes and there are no doubt elements that stretch the plausibility of the scenario, but it's so odd to watch this season and make these observations thinking that these are not things that are going to get addressed in one way or another, like it's a mccarteryst nightmare, the show deals with the censorship of information and control of narratives, do you really think that we're just meant to learn these details and think it all checks out and there's nothing weird about any of it?

I think it's not important at this time. Some stuff may become important later, but I'm not going to try to figure out which implausible elements of the setting are intentionally implausible and which are just shortcuts to make the story work. It doesn't matter. Trying to come up with justifications for all of it or figure out how it could work would not enhance my enjoyment of the show.

I.G.
Oct 10, 2000

One thing I really liked was that the heat tape turned out to be a significant part of the final reveal, after being introduced pretty early in what sounded like a throw-away line. This gives me some confidence that somebody is trying to write with a complete story arc in their head. My main concern watching any sci-fi mystery show like this is that the writers are just making poo poo up as they go with no intention of working towards some final conclusion.

Question for book readers: do you think the book series ends with something that would make a reasonably satisfying conclusion to a TV series (i.e. not everything has to be 100% resolved, but overall you didn't feel the whole thing was a waste of time)? Please answer with just a "yes' or "no" in spoiler tags (I understand this a very subjective question).

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I.G. posted:

One thing I really liked was that the heat tape turned out to be a significant part of the final reveal, after being introduced pretty early in what sounded like a throw-away line. This gives me some confidence that somebody is trying to write with a complete story arc in their head. My main concern watching any sci-fi mystery show like this is that the writers are just making poo poo up as they go with no intention of working towards some final conclusion.

Question for book readers: do you think the book series ends with something that would make a reasonably satisfying conclusion to a TV series (i.e. not everything has to be 100% resolved, but overall you didn't feel the whole thing was a waste of time)? Please answer with just a "yes' or "no" in spoiler tags (I understand this a very subjective question).

I can only answer through midway book two but

Yes, I do think at this point it's worth your time to at least watch 2-3 more seasons. It gets quite interesting and funf

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I.G. posted:

Yes!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
yes

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

Tiggum posted:

The birth control thing makes total sense.

You don't win the lottery? Easy to claim the system is rigged. Something to rebel against.

But you DO win the lottery and just can't conceive? Well, that's just a sad fact of biology, sorry sir and ma'am. But hey, at least you were given the chance! The government gave you a fair shot, not the government's fault it didn't work out. (Even though it is, but you don't know that!) Nothing to rebel against here!

It's just another layer of control/compliance.

Sure, it won't work on everyone (like Rashida's character) but it will placate all but the most determined to find answers or rebel against something.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Something to think about is season 1 is literally the first three chapters of a 500 page book that is the first of 3. Calling something that hasn’t been explained yet a plot hole is a bit premature.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Hughlander posted:

Something to think about is season 1 is literally the first three chapters of a 500 page book that is the first of 3. Calling something that hasn’t been explained yet a plot hole is a bit premature.

Listen, I find it hard to believe a magic gold ring would be deep underground in a dark tunnel for who knows how long. Like, how would it even get there?! Clearly this is a plot hole and not a part of the story to be revealed later.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just binged the season, so good! I wish this was getting as much love as Severance did and that’s a low bar since I feel like nobody watched Severance.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Severance felt like the biggest show airing at the time. Was talked about tons online at least.

I.G.
Oct 10, 2000

Yeah it seems a little under the radar. Maybe one problem is that "Silo" is one of the most boring words I can think of, evoking nothing in my brain other than some vague concept of grain storage.

Although somehow it's this is still an improvement over "Wool".

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Severance felt like the biggest show airing at the time. Was talked about tons online at least.
Among the prestige TV audience it was definitely a big deal but I feel like your average person wasn’t aware it even existed. Hell, I almost didn’t watch it because I thought it was a workplace comedy based on the title.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I got Severance confused with Succession so I didn't watch it (at first) because rich people problems is an extremely unfulfilling premise.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Same. I haven’t seen Succession because rich ppl problems are smth I just don’t need to pollute my life with, although I am conflicted because of all the praise it’s getting

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
At least it’s not called “From”.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
They should call season two 'Silos'

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Silo³

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

latinotwink1997