Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Come for the post apocalyptic underground world building, stay for the combination sex scene / Last Crusade Rapid Aging Death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Carpet posted:

They should call season two 'Solo'

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Silo has post apocalyptic sci-fi world building and yet Succession is 10x more entertaining in every way.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Succussion was really boring at the end. Just a bunch of rich crybabies crying because they aren't getting what they want.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Silò, or 120 Days of Stairs

Mokotow posted:

Same. I haven’t seen Succession because rich ppl problems are smth I just don’t need to pollute my life with, although I am conflicted because of all the praise it’s getting
:hmmyes: I do find silo problems to be much more relatable

E: better title?

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 20, 2023

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Silò, or 120 Days of Climbing Stairs

:hmmyes: I do find silo problems to be much more relatable

As an Eastern European you understand the social nuances of living in a concrete tower

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Silo, Kilosilo, Megasilo, Gigasilo, Terasilo, Petasilo

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

G-Spot Run posted:

I got Severance confused with Succession so I didn't watch it (at first) because rich people problems is an extremely unfulfilling premise.

Succession isn't about feeling bad for the rich people and their problems, it's about marveling at how hosed up these people are and how extreme wealth ruins your ability to be human.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Not to derail even further, but that's still my definition of rich people problems - I don't care if the problems are theirs. I want my escapism hellworld to be different to the actual hellworld

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You're not going to like it at all then. But I hope you did watch Severance, because that is good.

Rollos
Aug 11, 2007

Hold on, won't be long
How dare a show like Silo have the balls to do multiple 2001 Space Odyssey references for an ending. Ending pissed me off so much so your hook is a reverse LOST hatch? Get the gently caress outta here with that cheap bingebait.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I watched and enjoyed the show, even if it could move along more quickly to advance the plot. I hope they do speed it up, otherwise we're looking at 5+ years to go through the books and... that's a lot. Three seasons should be max, imo.

Also, I think fellow book readers forgot how hopelessly clunky the writing was. The story was excellent, the writing not so much.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Trabant posted:

I watched and enjoyed the show, even if it could move along more quickly to advance the plot. I hope they do speed it up, otherwise we're looking at 5+ years to go through the books and... that's a lot. Three seasons should be max, imo.

Also, I think fellow book readers forgot how hopelessly clunky the writing was. The story was excellent, the writing not so much.

At least we didn't get bullshit about how dad was in sanitation! Pretty sure in the book that would be seen as a good and proper career.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Trabant posted:

I had put Book 2 down a few weeks ago about mid way through and just picked it back up last week. Maybe I’m just in a different place, but I haven’t been able to put it down for roughly chapters 25-40 here. Really great stuff.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

It’s pretty great. It was poo poo years ago when it was coming out the first time around in tiny installments.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

I watched season 1 over a very long period of time but just cleared the back half in only a few nights. During the last third there’s a linguistic shift of the phrase “The Silo,” which to that point has referred to the whole underground society and the lifeboat they depend on for survival. Concurrent with Bernard explaining bluntly that power can be easily abused if it’s unfairly distributed, “The Silo” comes to mean the system which enforces the power imbalance.

The show reveals itself to really primarily be about fascism in the same episode that evokes wartime secret-keeping with Jules’ mother hiding her illegal magnifier in disguised and disassembled pieces, and then directly reveals the state’s secret, targeted eugenics program. The episodes with Jules on the run in possession of secret documents are a really good 1984 riff, and the vertical setting perfectly mirrors fascism’s hierarchy of power.

Not an edge-of-my-seat masterpiece like Severance, but more solid, engaging sci-fi from Apple. Probably won’t bother with the books given the range of opinions I saw skimming the thread, but excited to see where the show goes next.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

emgeejay posted:

I watched season 1 over a very long period of time but just cleared the back half in only a few nights. During the last third there’s a linguistic shift of the phrase “The Silo,” which to that point has referred to the whole underground society and the lifeboat they depend on for survival. Concurrent with Bernard explaining bluntly that power can be easily abused if it’s unfairly distributed, “The Silo” comes to mean the system which enforces the power imbalance.

The show reveals itself to really primarily be about fascism in the same episode that evokes wartime secret-keeping with Jules’ mother hiding her illegal magnifier in disguised and disassembled pieces, and then directly reveals the state’s secret, targeted eugenics program. The episodes with Jules on the run in possession of secret documents are a really good 1984 riff, and the vertical setting perfectly mirrors fascism’s hierarchy of power.

Not an edge-of-my-seat masterpiece like Severance, but more solid, engaging sci-fi from Apple. Probably won’t bother with the books given the range of opinions I saw skimming the thread, but excited to see where the show goes next.

Personally I'd recommend the books. They maintain a high pace even if the writing isn't stellar. If you have burning questions about the backdrop you get served info in ample supply by book 2. Looks like season 2 will be the remainder of book 1, so you'll be waiting a very long time for the big reveals.

I do wonder how they will deal with book 2 though, since they'll need a completely new cast of people, and people might have some emotional attatchement to characters they spent 2 whole seasons on. On top of that it feels like a completely different story.

My gut says they'll divert from season 2 onwards, further building on Silo 17's story and characters. Then have answers trickle in through their eyes.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Mikojan posted:

Personally I'd recommend the books. They maintain a high pace even if the writing isn't stellar. If you have burning questions about the backdrop you get served info in ample supply by book 2. Looks like season 2 will be the remainder of book 1, so you'll be waiting a very long time for the big reveals.

I do wonder how they will deal with book 2 though, since they'll need a completely new cast of people, and people might have some emotional attatchement to characters they spent 2 whole seasons on. On top of that it feels like a completely different story.

My gut says they'll divert from season 2 onwards, further building on Silo 17's story and characters. Then have answers trickle in through their eyes.

Book spoiler:

IIRC there is almost no intersection between the silo 1 and silo 18/17 plots in the first two books, so I assume they will just do them concurrently in season 2. The old support cast will get reduced screen time in favor of new silo 1 characters.

They could then do 3/4 of book 1 and 1/2 or book for season 2. Solo's backstory from book 3 could also fit in there nicely and be a whole episode. End the season on the attack on Solo, while Juliette was diving?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

GABA ghoul posted:

Book spoiler:

IIRC there is almost no intersection between the silo 1 and silo 18/17 plots in the first two books, so I assume they will just do them concurrently in season 2. The old support cast will get reduced screen time in favor of new silo 1 characters.

They could then do 3/4 of book 1 and 1/2 or book for season 2. Solo's backstory from book 3 could also fit in there nicely and be a whole episode. End the season on the attack on Solo, while Juliette was diving?

More book spoilers/questions:

Is the Silo Juliette go to 18? I just got to the third act of Book 2 and can't place where in time Missions story takes place. Is it a few centuries before Juliette and between his time and Juliette's it implodes?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

TraderStav posted:

More book spoilers/questions:

Is the Silo Juliette go to 18? I just got to the third act of Book 2 and can't place where in time Missions story takes place. Is it a few centuries before Juliette and between his time and Juliette's it implodes?

Books spoiler:

Silo 18 is Juliette's home silo. The destroyed one where Solo is from is silo 17.

IIRC the Silo 18 story in book 2 takes place early in the silo's history, long before Juliette's time. Around a century or so after its construction?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

GABA ghoul posted:

Books spoiler:

Silo 18 is Juliette's home silo. The destroyed one where Solo is from is silo 17.

IIRC the Silo 18 story in book 2 takes place early in the silo's history, long before Juliette's time. Around a century or so after its construction?

Ahhh that makes more sense.

Book
i kept trying to figure out how mission would turn into Solo but i had it backwards.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

TraderStav posted:

Ahhh that makes more sense.

Book
i kept trying to figure out how mission would turn into Solo but i had it backwards.

Book:
Mission is Alison's grandfather or father

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I just finished this and overall I liked it a lot.

Bookreaders: if I wanted to continue the story, can I just pick up book 2 and go from there?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Paperhouse posted:

Bookreaders: if I wanted to continue the story, can I just pick up book 2 and go from there?

No. Season 1 is a fraction of book 1.

Read the book, it's good (and different enough!)

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

Paperhouse posted:

No. I'd suggest starting from 1. You will obviously get spoilers for any future seasons and a big twist in the show is showed on page 2 in the book. hth

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Some characters also swap genders in the show, or get a distinctively different description. Some storylines aren’t in the books at all, like Sims, Judiciary, etc. The books don’t waste time anyway so you will catch up fast

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Mikojan posted:

Some characters also swap genders in the show, or get a distinctively different description. Some storylines aren’t in the books at all, like Sims, Judiciary, etc. The books don’t waste time anyway so you will catch up fast

Well Sims does show up, but his role is a fraction of Common. In TV terms he'd been introduced pretty much during the last episode or maybe the end of the penultimate episode and then have a decent role in season 2.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

So apparently MGM+ is adapting another Hugh Howey book (novella actually I think) Beacon 23 with Leana Hadley. Been a while since I read it but I remember liking it. Trailer looks cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQuy5yoWJ7o

Glad Hugh is seeing success. Been following him since he started self publishing Wool way back in the day.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

D-Pad posted:

So apparently MGM+ is adapting another Hugh Howey book (novella actually I think) Beacon 23 with Leana Hadley. Been a while since I read it but I remember liking it. Trailer looks cool:

Glad Hugh is seeing success. Been following him since he started self publishing Wool way back in the day.

Looks really good, going to pick up the novella in the meantime.

I do find myself also happy to see him seeing this success. A real nice story about someone making their way outside the conventional system.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Looks really good, going to pick up the novella in the meantime.

I do find myself also happy to see him seeing this success. A real nice story about someone making their way outside the conventional system.

He was one of the first authors to have that level of success self publishing on Amazon. I believe it was even before 50 shades. At that time it was still fairly new and the mainstream dismissed it out of hand. He paved the way for a lot of people.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

D-Pad posted:

Getting a real "Girl In Space" vibe from that

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Late to the Silo party - I finished the series this week and was intrigued enough to get the books.

The books are surprisingly well-written and so far I recommend anyone that enjoyed the show to pick them up!

On kindle you can get them all in one omnibus package.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

For a self-published author who had mostly captained yachts before, it’s pretty amazing.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
I had some issue with the added storylines for Silo.....but it's nothing compared to what Zak Penn did to 'Beacon 23' for MGM+. Basically tossed out everything and wrote something completely different (and much worse).

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

The story / writing took a steep nosedive somewhere around the half of the second book for me personally.

I couldn't force myself to get through the third one so I just read the plot summary posted to wikipedia.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I think the show really elevated the material in the book, even with the added plot, and am looking forward to what they do with the rest of it. I agree that the later books kind of dragged, but the ideas and concepts were interesting enough that I think they could be adapted well to TV if the show writers keep doing what they’ve been doing.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I had some issue with the added storylines for Silo.....but it's nothing compared to what Zak Penn did to 'Beacon 23' for MGM+. Basically tossed out everything and wrote something completely different (and much worse).

I thought Beacon 23 has been pretty good tbh.

But I've also had no problems with what Silo was doing (and Silo is by far the better show). I found all the character stuff in the back two thirds of the season really compelling, and I think the effort they went to in developing all the cast was purposeful. Not something I'd call filler, or whatever, you know what I mean?

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Open Source Idiom posted:

I thought Beacon 23 has been pretty good tbh.

But I've also had no problems with what Silo was doing (and Silo is by far the better show). I found all the character stuff in the back two thirds of the season really compelling, and I think the effort they went to in developing all the cast was purposeful. Not something I'd call filler, or whatever, you know what I mean?

Did you read 'Beacon 23' prior to watching the show? Basically stripped the best part (the main character) along with the story and wrote something completely different. And....while I wouldn't say that it's bad....it's not particularly good. Pretty melodramatic and cliched. Would have been much more interesting had it stuck closer to the source material. Or.....even used anything from the source material outside of the 'beacon' setting.

RestingB1tchFace fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
The real silo..... Is society