Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Yes, there’s a bit of non-linearity in the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Mokotow posted:

Yes, there’s a bit of non-linearity in the books.

There's a ton of non-linearity in the books, although mostly book 2.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Also a book can have a character just remember something but a show needs to do a flashback or dialogue exposition.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I dunno, I didn't feel like any of the time jumps were confusing. Most of them were framed by being a story told to the old woman, or were just obvious because of people not being dead.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Bugblatter posted:

Eh, too much of the cinematography implies the image on the visor is computer generated. We only see the green world in POV shots within the helmet, it looks computer generated, when he takes the helmet off all the out-of-focus background elements are brown and grey without any green or blue, and he can't see his wife's corpse until the helmet is off. I don't think they're seeing any truth. Maaaybe there's also poison, but I kinda thought he was just running out of air. There are no tanks on those things.

Also the birds appear in the same way (I think) as on the recording.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

theflyingexecutive posted:

Why does everyone talk like it's 2023? 140 years ago, Mark Twain was the hot poo poo author and they're (supposedly) 140+x years from the end of the world. I guess Apple might be feeling a little gun shy after how goofy the dialog in See was, but man there's not much to sink your teeth into.

As someone said upthread, there's a lot of expository dialog. They definitely could be telling the story through more subtle cues. Like there's a literal upper class and it takes a whole day to travel to where they are, but there are no other real indicators of a stratified society other than house size and costume dirtiness? There's a lot of wasted potential so far.

It's a sealed system the deliberately forgot it's past and has a rigid structure of control, I'm not sure language would vary that much.

They don't have photography so they'd not need photography specific terms, they don't call the Camera a "Camera" for example.

Controlling the language people use is a great way to keep them under control. You can't rebel if you don't know what that is.

I've always assumed this sort of thing translates the main characters language for us viewers, Luke Skywalker ain't speaking English.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

vote_no posted:

Also the birds appear in the same way (I think) as on the recording.

I noticed this too, it could be explained away as a migration pattern (2 years later .... Exactly) but it was suss

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I feel like the first episode was meant to make us suspect there was actually something nice outside, while the second episode recontextualized all that evidence to suggest the idea that it was nice outside was an elaborate illusion.

Specifically, the video of grass and birds seemed like evidence when the sheriff's wife found it on a secret hard drive, but it seemed like an obvious illusion when the same footage was projected on the inside of the sheriff's helmet.

I still think that somehow that footage in particular has something in it that affects your mind- subliminal messages or what have you- and merely seeing the recording drove the sheriff's wife to do what it was designed to make you do: show everyone inside how nice it is out there (and clean the sensor).

theflyingexecutive posted:

Why does everyone talk like it's 2023? 140 years ago, Mark Twain was the hot poo poo author and they're (supposedly) 140+x years from the end of the world. I guess Apple might be feeling a little gun shy after how goofy the dialog in See was, but man there's not much to sink your teeth into.
Icelandic is an incredibly conservative language. Apparently Icelanders can still read the old Norse Sagas written a thousand years ago, which come across like Old English does to modern English speakers when Norwegians, Swedes and Danes try to read them.

The Silo is an incredibly authoritarian micro-Iceland, not 20th century United States.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Episode 3 kinda surprised they allowed a generator repair plot to eat a good chunk of runtime so early on in a show where at least personally I’m dying to know more about the world, dig into the existing mysteries etc. Liked the episode regardless but that element didn’t do much for me. The big screen glitching and showing a more paradise-like outside though… was hoping to see a reaction to that.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Episode 3 kinda surprised they allowed a generator repair plot to eat a good chunk of runtime so early on in a show where at least personally I’m dying to know more about the world, dig into the existing mysteries etc. Liked the episode regardless but that element didn’t do much for me. The big screen glitching and showing a more paradise-like outside though… was hoping to see a reaction to that.

Episode 3 was great, nice to see things get moving.

RE: the spoiler
There is a passing shot to one of the women hunkering down who noticed the glitch, she has roughly the same look on her face after the power is restored.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
No complaints here, despite that there was not really any realistic chance of them failing, of course, that was tense as hell; great tiny character sketches of the other engineers, and the mysteries are salted through, no need to rush. And yeah, as above, someone in that common area noticed what happened, definitely. And oof that ending, gorram.

Camera placement in the control room deliberately finding the poster about The Syndrome more than once. Sounds like a thing? (Bookywooky folk keep it to yourselves please.)

Silo really cornering the market on the older British actresses with really nice hair genre. Sophie T. in the first ep too. Geraldine James amazing and still around, she was in Blott On The Landscape like 40 years ago!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wow, they really went through the effort to make sure that sign was out of focus.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I really enjoyed the books, but I'm going to tentatively say the show actually improves upon them so far. I have almost zero complaints and in many cases I care more about the characters than I did in the books.

It shouldn't matter, but I wish Rebecca Ferguson's American accent was better, or they just wrote her as... honestly I don't know what her natural accent is, but that. Her attempt to sound American sounds like an American failing at an Irish accent sometimes.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Its probably the kind of expat dialect you get born/growing up in sweden learning english natively from your british mom (?). And then going for something more american on top of that.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
The accents haven't bothered me, but I haven't read the books and assumed the silo was meant to be multicultural.

It did throw me off when they introduced Iain Glen as her father though. I assumed she was Swedish with a faded accent. Now I wonder if she's trying to imitate his accent.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
drat that was an intense episode

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah I was sure that Coop was gonna get blended up in the turbine But no!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

priznat posted:

Yeah I was sure that Coop was gonna get blended up in the turbine But no!

Yeah, I read the books, but it was over 10 years ago, so while I remember the broad strokes, I don't remember smaller details like that, and I haven't been able to find any good plot summaries online. Which is fine. Even though I know the general direction they're heading, I'm able to stay on the edge of my seat still.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Glottis posted:

It shouldn't matter, but I wish Rebecca Ferguson's American accent was better, or they just wrote her as... honestly I don't know what her natural accent is, but that. Her attempt to sound American sounds like an American failing at an Irish accent sometimes.

This bugs me too. I wish they had just used her accent as the standard for the people on her level or something, because her American accent is all over the place.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I’m no physicist or engineer, but that repair scene did not make much sense. Pouring water on a hot surface would generate steam and probably cook repair lady in the containment vessel. And since you have 8 hours or whatever of scheduled downtime, why not just bleed off the pressure into the turbine (doubt spinning it up for 30 seconds would kill it) and reset the cycle for another 30 minutes of maintenance? Also, the fact that there’s no bleed system for the steam before it enters the turbine. Turbine covers - why have them if the only thing they seem to be doing is stopping you from seeing problems?

These can and should be waved away, I enjoyed the episode.

Robot Uprising
Sep 19, 2006

Spinning Buzz Saws
The stream has to have an exit above the turbine , why not build some sort of bypass tube ?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
That was the dumbest, no-plot, episode. Half the episode was just "oh no! will they fix it in time?"

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Only Kindness posted:

Camera placement in the control room deliberately finding the poster about The Syndrome more than once. Sounds like a thing? (Bookywooky folk keep it to yourselves please.)

I had no idea what you were talking about until I rewatched:

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I think the only reason that episode worked was because so many people died in the previous two shows, I wasn't sure who would die in this one.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

This show is really good! What a tense episode!

I loved the Mayor's big trek through the Silo. Lot of good world building. I like how they got the politics here to feel like a municipal government and a whole world at the same time. I've recently been dealing with town officials where I live and it the combination of the personal touch and grudges with people you've known for your whole life rings true. Between that and the way the engineers all worked together and related to each other- I like how the basics of this world are being established.

The crisis of the blackout was also really well done. There was something about the guy stuck on the stairs in the dark and the gentle response from the deputy that really got to me. It was such a human interaction that didn't directly affect the plot, or even heighten the tension all that much. It was just another little evocative thing that happened.

Interesting that the brief flash of the green world on the screen was presented the same way. No sinister music cue, no lingering shot. Just a brief flicker that you might have missed if you weren't watching closely. And then a long shot of a nameless character wondering what the heck they just saw. It was a really effective way to reiterate the mystery of this world in a disconcertingly subtle way.

As for the ending, my mother was immediately suspicious of the radio lady, as the last person who gave the mayor something to eat. The mayor very conspicuously did not accept food from Judicial which was interesting. Thinking about it, the radio lady knows everything that's going on in the Silo. She threatened the computer guy's life, and then he mysteriously died! It's all fitting together! Radio lady is the secret mastermind who's got everyone in the silo dancing to her tune!

... I thought I was mostly joking, but it kind of makes a lot of sense now.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
More ep3 ending talk. It could be a remote kill implant that they've put in everyone. That could be how they consistently kill cleaners after they wipe the screen even though it looks like they succumb to something on the outside. It's a world where they don't have photography, but they have AR goggles, so it'd be an interesting problem for them to wrap their heads around. The problem is the computer guy didn't die like that, which you'd think would happen if whoever is in charge could get rid of him easily.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I'm enjoying reading you guys try to figure it out, hah. I intentionally didn't reread the books so it was relatively fresh but it's coming back to me as I read your theories.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Episode 3 spoiler talk I should have already stated after episode 2 that I thought the entire cleaning thing, hints on hard drive etc. were like a relief valve in themselves. Purposely leading people outside but not to the truth, engineered to get rid of dissidents from the beginning.

I find that the fact the entire silo works off supposed geothermal/volcano/(I'm sure it's not just nuclear feeding them steam right??) without a pressure valve kinda poetic.

But at the same time kinda hard to believe the internals of such a machine are.... cogs and stuff with some engineer twisting them.

I do get the vibe a lot of the tech inside the silo is purposely anachronistic, possibly in order to stay repairable for a community of 10.000 people with the resources they have at hand. With the "before times"/outside having progressed way beyond the silo's technological level.

Edit: The more I think about it, the more clearer it is that certain kind of tech is being held back to keep people non-aware. Possibility of realtime image manipulation being unfathomable to the populace. Cameras being unheard of. You'd think law enforcement would like cameras. With them being unheard of it also makes AR/VR probably unfathomable. Computers seem more advanced than basic cameras, but I guess the populace has no frame of reference of what is possible. The fact that the screen shifted between the two views makes little sense to me, unless the illusion is maintained by someone actually part of the community instead of some outside never seen before force, because even assuming a power surge being the cause instead of relying on the internal energy source why would it cause the illusion to fail for a split second. You'd think an outside "adversary" would be more immaculate in keeping up the illusion unless it was a purposeful sign somehow. I can't imagine the Judiciary or something within is the end all answer here, but I can imagine them maintaining the illusion I guess.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 13, 2023

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
It's been 24 hours and this isn't spoilery (at least for the last ep) so not bothering with spoiler bars but I'm intrigued that none of the multiple people that have handled the little video camera have been able to identify it as such. Fuzzy memory already :corsair: and I may be assuming too much but I am fairly certain silo dwellers know what video screens are (they use email all the time, and watch the panoramic one in the common area) and they know what cameras are (same), yet can't make the mental leap that this thing combines the two technologies? Even Jules, of inquiring mind, an engineer, handed it off to Toaster Lady to see if she could find out what it is. Maybe it's because it's considered a relic, it's taboo, it's just too overwhelming or something. Assuming that relics are forbidden knowledge and you'll get Judicial'd.

Idle thoughts 1: Knox said they'd remove panels C and D to get at the turbine, yet those panels when we saw them were labelled 03 and 04. An irrelevant but amusingly bizarre production mistake, but we are in the age of medieval starbucks cups.

Idle thoughts 2: The cleaning cloth I assume is wool yet they pointedly just refer to it as material, it had the sense of being a deliberately swapped word. And it goes in its own little special pouch. Starting to think wool is significant in some way :thunk: :thunkher:

Ok, that's enough content produced for today, so :justpost:.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Im still quite invested in this show already, but if I had to nitpick about this latest episode I think the repair sequence went on too long past the point of excitement into just exhaustion, and they could have made some token effort into showing how hot she must have been in there, that would have been like the hottest steam bath ever, like show her skin pink or have her steaming when she came out, something.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Definitely agree about Ferguson's accent woes, especially when yelling.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

Definitely agree about Ferguson's accent woes, especially when yelling.

I find her accent is always a bit odd, even in the MI films and Dune. It's just what I have come to expect from her pretty much :haw:

I'm trying to think of a Swedish actor that doesn't have a unique accent when working in english and I can't.. Impeccable english but there is always something just a little different about the accent.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

priznat posted:

I find her accent is always a bit odd, even in the MI films and Dune. It's just what I have come to expect from her pretty much :haw:

I'm trying to think of a Swedish actor that doesn't have a unique accent when working in english and I can't.. Impeccable english but there is always something just a little different about the accent.

Joel Kinnamon and Alexander Skarsgård maybe?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Tagichatn posted:

Joel Kinnamon and Alexander Skarsgård maybe?

Skarsgaard definitely still has a bit of strangeness, even when playing americans like in generation kill.. Maybe his brother bill though, I honestly didn't realize he was related at first!

Kinnamon I only know from altered carbon and I pinged him as non-american right away.

Now the Dutch, they do good american accents. I had no idea Katja Heberts was Dutch from her performance on "Evil"

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I liked the show then this thread taught me it was based on novels so I bought them and read the first few chapters and now I kind of like the whole thing less? It's still good, but I was kind of more hyped about it?

I didn't get past the show yet so no spoilers but I guess the pacing is a little different and the show is more ambiguous on some points which I think works in its favor, but if we're nitpicking the last episode kinda annoyed me that for some reason partial pressure release was never an option for some reason? yeah it's stupid to complain about TV logic, the show is really not bad at all.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I could see the illusion failing for a second being possible. It would basically be how video production used to work before there were all in one mixers like we have today. It's possible that there are even multiple versions of depictions of the outside. The camera creates the video feed, that gets fed into a box that ingests the raw video. The world in this video, might be somewhat back alive, but not fully, like the birds video. Then that gets fed into another box that generates the cartoony looking overly green version. This version gets played to the helmets of people who go out to clean, they get shown this version that makes them think they need to clean to show everyone what's really going on. Then that gets fed into another box that generates the totally desolate wasteland with the bodies that then gets shown to the people in the cafeteria and jail cell screens. When the power was shut down, the box that shows the wasteland might have shutdown first, it turns into a passthrough when off and it shows the green version and then everything else shuts off. Then whoever was in charge of the video screens probably didn't know that would happen, since there hasn't been a power loss in their life time, so there wasn't a procedure for shutting the machines down.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Sure would be handy to keep a couple of spare turbine blades laying around.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

This episode would have been poo poo in most other shows, but the direction, acting, and music was just terrific. Everyone is putting so much effort into every aspect of this show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You can definitely tell that they sank a LOT of money into this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Just the sets, both real and CGI are so much better and detailed than I had expected