Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
It's true, it looks great. I think they've pulled a Dredd and made a virtue of the limited space, low-ish lighting, set extensions etc. Like in the second ep I felt that the drilling machine that in the 1980s would have been a model and looked okay-ish, in the 2000s would have been CGI and looked like poo poo with the slightest eyeballing, and now in the 2020s it looks basically "real" and gigantic.

(excellent snipe, well done me)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I like that I’m not always entirely sure where the extensions are. In a lot of stuff, especially Disney’s volume work but also expensive stuff like Foundation, the line between real set and cg is often really obvious and kinda kills the sense of place. I’m not entirely sure how many floors of a given set they’ve built or how far the camp set goes before transitioning to a giant cg digging machine though. The digital assets are really well done and the sets are well designed to integrate with them too. Really let’s you think of the spaces as actually being immense without any of the claustrophobia a lot of tv backdrops have.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

muscles like this! posted:

You can definitely tell that they sank a LOT of money into this show.

That seems to be the trend with Apple shows. They don't have a lot of original content, but they sink all the money they have into it, regardless of how good it is. Compared to Netflix, who spread themselves very thin, and even skimp on their biggest hits, despite going into massive debt.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I also trust Apple to renew shows so I actually give new shows a chance. I never give Netflix shows a chance anymore. I don’t trust them.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

muscles like this! posted:

The fact that they're already doing some nonlinear storytelling makes me assume that once it becomes relevant they'll just cut between the plot of Shift with the ongoing story of Juliette.

Think that makes more sense. Believe it would be tough to switch over to a whole new group of characters for a season without pissing people off.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Pissed me off reading the books.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

GreenNight posted:

I also trust Apple to renew shows so I actually give new shows a chance. I never give Netflix shows a chance anymore. I don’t trust them.

They definitely feel like the streaming service most likely to take HBOs crown due to how horribly that company is being managed now.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

EL BROMANCE posted:

They definitely feel like the streaming service most likely to take HBOs crown due to how horribly that company is being managed now.

Hardly. Apple throws a lot of money at all of their shows, no matter how bad they are, but they still have a ton of bad shows. Plus, they don't have the deep catalogue that HBO or Disney have.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

That’s why the expectation is that Apple will buy some studio with their massive war chest.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I mean for future productions. I’m not sure how many people are going to want to produce their shows with HBO going forward. Severance really was *the* show last year and they run marketing highlighting the names doing work for them and I imagine they’ll be making harder pushes.

And not everything on HBO is gold, there’s a ton of shows that air with zero fanfare.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Nihonniboku posted:

Hardly. Apple throws a lot of money at all of their shows, no matter how bad they are, but they still have a ton of bad shows. Plus, they don't have the deep catalogue that HBO or Disney have.

Zaslav is in the process moving everything on HBO to freemium services.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

priznat posted:

Skarsgaard definitely still has a bit of strangeness, even when playing americans like in generation kill.. Maybe his brother bill though, I honestly didn't realize he was related at first!

Kinnamon I only know from altered carbon and I pinged him as non-american right away.

Now the Dutch, they do good american accents. I had no idea Katja Heberts was Dutch from her performance on "Evil"

I have not seen the Tomb Raider movie(s?) but Alicia Vikander was great in The Green Knight

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Miguel Prado posted:

I have not seen the Tomb Raider movie(s?) but Alicia Vikander was great in The Green Knight

Tomb Raider was a British accent though. I can't recall, did she use an American accent in TGK? I remember a lot of the cast just used their native accents despite the setting.

Her American accent in Ex Machina was solid from what I remember.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Cojawfee posted:

Zaslav is in the process moving everything on HBO to freemium services.

HBO “prime” is still going strong. Other than pulling Westworld and dumping it on a freemium service, they have basically been going about business as usual. I give them a pass on pulling Westworld, even though season 1 is one of my favorite shows of all time. After that second season, the show should have been cancelled. It was almost season 8 GoT level, and then HBO still spent 9 figures making two more terrible seasons. That was basically malpractice by the HBO execs.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

priznat posted:

Kinnamon I only know from altered carbon and I pinged him as non-american right away.

He's great in the killing with the streetwise/wigger style cop voice.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TyrantWD posted:

HBO “prime” is still going strong. Other than pulling Westworld and dumping it on a freemium service, they have basically been going about business as usual. I give them a pass on pulling Westworld, even though season 1 is one of my favorite shows of all time. After that second season, the show should have been cancelled. It was almost season 8 GoT level, and then HBO still spent 9 figures making two more terrible seasons. That was basically malpractice by the HBO execs.

I wouldn't count your chickens. There's a clear pivot towards IP driven series (Dune, two Thrones spin offs, The Last Of Us, DC Penguin show, at least one other thing) and they've been wrapping up their non IP productions. Give it a year or two and we'll see what it looks like.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

I wouldn't count your chickens. There's a clear pivot towards IP driven series (Dune, two Thrones spin offs, The Last Of Us, DC Penguin show, at least one other thing) and they've been wrapping up their non IP productions. Give it a year or two and we'll see what it looks like.

Yeah, Zazlav has been pretty clear in his intentions to restructure HBO around mega franchises. Harry Potter, DC, and GoT being the main “pillars” of the brand. Other niche or just non-franchise shows that HBO would normally pursue are reportedly getting killed off in their initial development.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

TyrantWD posted:

RIP Raised by Wolves

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Fozzy The Bear posted:

RIP Raised by Wolves

What a glorious, beautiful, mess of a show. It deserved 30 seasons.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Did I see the outside shift through 2 different variants of the apocalypse? It might have been an optical illusion with the house lights going out, but it seemed like it cycled through a dull desaturated rocky-brown, lush-green daylight, and back to a dark strongly saturated brown almost maroon before shutting down.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

G-Spot Run posted:

Did I see the outside shift through 2 different variants of the apocalypse? It might have been an optical illusion with the house lights going out, but it seemed like it cycled through a dull desaturated rocky-brown, lush-green daylight, and back to a dark strongly saturated brown almost maroon before shutting down.

You saw something like that

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Hey, there's lots of doin's and happenin's a-transpirin' down at the ol' Silo, I tell you hwaat.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
For folks who have read the books, how in line with them was episode three? Because man that was a loving mess. I'm wondering if the show is doing what adaptations do and throwing out the source material, or if that's how that whole sequence with the generator goes. It makes it hard to engage with the premise of the setting being this decaying industrial hellhole when the way they handle the mechanisms and the work is complete nonsense from top to bottom. Wondering if I'd be happier just reading the books instead, even though I do love the visuals of this show.

Stegosnaurlax posted:

He's great in the killing with the streetwise/wigger style cop voice.

... wigger?

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Kestral posted:

For folks who have read the books, how in line with them was episode three? Because man that was a loving mess. I'm wondering if the show is doing what adaptations do and throwing out the source material, or if that's how that whole sequence with the generator goes. It makes it hard to engage with the premise of the setting being this decaying industrial hellhole when the way they handle the mechanisms and the work is complete nonsense from top to bottom. Wondering if I'd be happier just reading the books instead, even though I do love the visuals of this show.

... wigger?

One of the things they talk about in the book but hasn't been mentioned in-show yet is that there's a whole Supply department with a massive warehouse-type space of spare parts for pretty much everything you could think of. Not sure if that answers your question but it does play a part in the plot later on, so I imagine it will be brought up eventually

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Kloaked00 posted:

One of the things they talk about in the book but hasn't been mentioned in-show yet is that there's a whole Supply department with a massive warehouse-type space of spare parts for pretty much everything you could think of. Not sure if that answers your question but it does play a part in the plot later on, so I imagine it will be brought up eventually

That does help, yeah, I suspect I would enjoy the books more if they've put at least that much thought into this stuff. The idea that they would open up this mission-critical generator and see a vital component is damaged, and their solution is to... Break out the angle grinders? To do... Something? And let's not even talk about the steam, oh god what a mess. The idea of a massive stockpile of replacements works much better. Or hell, saying "We had a massive stockpile but it's all gone now and we have to make this stuff on the fly now" would be fine too: you can use that as an opportunity to show that these folks are competent and resourceful, give them a quick montage of hours of frantic work in the machine shops while Juliette and her shadow work, or stand by getting increasingly frustrated that they can't work, and show us what she's like when she's feeling helpless.

But enough of my griping. How far into the books do we think they're going to get in this first season, based on how it's progressing so far?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Kestral posted:

That does help, yeah, I suspect I would enjoy the books more if they've put at least that much thought into this stuff. The idea that they would open up this mission-critical generator and see a vital component is damaged, and their solution is to... Break out the angle grinders? To do... Something? And let's not even talk about the steam, oh god what a mess. The idea of a massive stockpile of replacements works much better. Or hell, saying "We had a massive stockpile but it's all gone now and we have to make this stuff on the fly now" would be fine too: you can use that as an opportunity to show that these folks are competent and resourceful, give them a quick montage of hours of frantic work in the machine shops while Juliette and her shadow work, or stand by getting increasingly frustrated that they can't work, and show us what she's like when she's feeling helpless.

But enough of my griping. How far into the books do we think they're going to get in this first season, based on how it's progressing so far?

Well the specifics of that generator sequence were really show only for and were added for no purpose other than on screen drama, the books share the general plot but the actual fixing of the generator is just a thing that happens, with no action sequences or risks, it was really very much a TV thing.

I'm not sure how many episodes there are this season but from the general pace of it all I tend to think it will reach about half way into the first book. We're really very early into the first book 'events' wise, the show took more time with Holston and his wife than the books do.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I'm not sure how many episodes there are this season but from the general pace of it all I tend to think it will reach about half way into the first book. We're really very early into the first book 'events' wise, the show took more time with Holston and his wife than the books do.

Yeah, I think I read the author said that they don't plan on doing the entire book in the first season. It's already been picked up for a season two. Don't read if you don't want spoilers, but I suspect they'll end with Juliette leaving the silo to do her cleaning with her non-sabotaged suit and discovers the second silo. Maybe she'll meet Solo. Season 2 will likely follow the uprising in Juliette's home silo, while she and Solo explore his dead silo, and get into adventures there.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I thought this show would be about Rashida Jones and the other guy going on an adventure. or at the very least him searching for her. not watching boring characters do and say boring things

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
This last episode was pretty mid. I hate these needless backstory episodes. Also I hate when shows have an immediate death and try to be so dramatic with it. Like.... I haven't gotten invested in these people yet. There's nothing to "feel."

Last 5 minutes were aight

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah, just show us what's on the camera already. If the next episode doesn't start with showing what's recorded on the camera, I'll be pretty peeved.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The show is officially a hit for Apple, had the best drama debut in the history of the channel.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, just show us what's on the camera already. If the next episode doesn't start with showing what's recorded on the camera, I'll be pretty peeved.

You're going to be pretty peeved

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Can book readers gently caress off or get their own thread or something please, I'm just filling up the ignore list here

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

G-Spot Run posted:

Can book readers gently caress off or get their own thread or something please, I'm just filling up the ignore list here

Doesn’t seem like they have spoiled much and if they gently caress off it will be like 2 people posting, Apple TV shows don’t tend to have a lot of discussion unless it’s like Severance. I was all in for this show and the two premiere episodes were great. The last two and particular this week’s episode felt like a slog and I dozed off in the middle of it

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I think it'll ramp back up. This just seems like the requisite "ok let's take a break and explore some backstory episodes" that literally nobody wants but every show seems to do.

Also I get irrationally angry when I hear hack lines like "thank the founders". I don't know why but that crap just seems so needlessly cheesy/bad.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
They're the kind of episodes that will feel ok in retrospect and provide some well needed rounding off of characters and motivations while building anticipation. People who binge the show later on probably wont even notice.

Threadkiller Dog fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 20, 2023

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!
Man this show is melodramatic.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

BonoMan posted:

This last episode was pretty mid. I hate these needless backstory episodes. Also I hate when shows have an immediate death and try to be so dramatic with it. Like.... I haven't gotten invested in these people yet. There's nothing to "feel."

Last 5 minutes were aight

It’s not so much about how the death is supposed to make you feel it’s how you see how the death makes others feel.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

mistermojo posted:

I thought this show would be about Rashida Jones and the other guy going on an adventure. or at the very least him searching for her. not watching boring characters do and say boring things

100%, after the second episode, I was thinking they got rid of my two favorite characters. But then I remembered its called "Silo" and not, "fun adventures outside."

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The previous episode was really exciting and helped draw you into the world. As long as you weren't focused on the mystery to the exclusion of all else, it was engaging world building and character establishment.

This episode was clearly just building things, and personally enough goodwill has been earned for me not to be whining "are we there yet" in what is clearly the middle of the journey. We need the world to breathe a bit before the mystery upends everything. And I think it's breathing well. The characters and politics and emotions all ring true for the setting depicted. I wouldn't want every episode to be like this, but if the fundamental truths these characters were raised with are upended by a coming revelation, I'd like to spend some time with these characters and their society first. Simply seeing the recycling process from various perspectives- a traumatized child, the attendant telling off folks for throwing out good stuff, the workers below salvaging stuff, a random note to recycle the former occupant's unwanted belongings- gives a depth and coherency to the world I really appreciate.

The way the setting completely shapes every aspect of everyone's lives is important to just sit with for a bit, especially if major aspects of that setting are built on lies, as we can kind of assume they are.

I'm generally wary of puzzle box shows, as they very rarely have satisfying conclusions, so I'm judging my appreciation of this show on what we've seen so far and I really, really like the set design and the clear thought that went into the material culture of these people in this strange, evocative world.

And I like the main character. She's stoic, but she's not boring. You can see why she's not getting along with other people, but you can also tell where she's coming from. I liked when she tried to tell a joke in response to what "you people" eat down below and it just completely fell flat. Not even acknowledgement. Just awkwardly moving on.