Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I just binged through this and am hungry for more, but I want to keep the show as my primary way to experience the story. How many of the books can I go through before I start running into spoilers for the next season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I think I’ll wait, then. I don’t trust myself to be able to stop reading halfway through. Thanks!

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I think the show really elevated the material in the book, even with the added plot, and am looking forward to what they do with the rest of it. I agree that the later books kind of dragged, but the ideas and concepts were interesting enough that I think they could be adapted well to TV if the show writers keep doing what they’ve been doing.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

The show turns the first half of the first book into ten hours of TV. It fleshes out and recontextualizes a lot of the book’s material, and adds a bunch of secondary stuff that does a good job of expanding on the setting. It changes the core conspiracy somewhat, but in a way that adds a lot of room for more drama and intrigue.

I liked it much better than the book, to the point where when I tried reading the book, I legit considered putting it down and waiting for the show to catch up. (I did not do this because I am impatient.)